[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
TECHNOLOGY
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: Head-tracking 3D.webm (3 MB, 427x240) Image search: [Google]
Head-tracking 3D.webm
3 MB, 427x240
Warm memo that better 3D potential came out before the 3DS which doesn't require splitting up resolution and doesn't require the resources to render twice.

>Your 2D monitor is now 3D
>>
you need to wear infrared leds on your head tho
>>
File: monoglasses.jpg (56 KB, 530x351) Image search: [Google]
monoglasses.jpg
56 KB, 530x351
>>319664371
Glasses are fine.

It could include the IR LEDs on the handheld and just have reflectors as well.
>>
>better
>Same shit as 3DS, i.e. only inside the TV, not outside
>Not around you
>>
The whole point is people want proper depth perception, dummy. They want a slightly different image coming to each eye.
>>
>>319664371
They can do headtracking without IR. It's just less accurate, probably. There are webcam programs for it though.

>>319664560
Irrelevant. The benefits of 3D for accuracy is way better than nothing, and handhelds would benefit from a single render and from a non-split resolution.

>>319664650
That is the point. The 3D on the 3DS is inferior to the OP webm.

>the targets look like they're floating above the laptop
>>
>>319664769
>The benefits of 3D for accuracy is way better than nothing
You know what would be even better? The shit I already mentioned. So yeah, it is relevant if you don't explain why it's not relevant.

>and handhelds would benefit from a single render and from a non-split resolution.
Sure. But fuck handhelds. Besides, my monitor is far from handheld.
>>
>>319664769
It's still the same image coming to each eye, which isn't as good at tricking your brain
>>
>>319664301
Tales in a Box.

I thought this game was what the 3DS would be like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPPCvVmx5Ho
>>
>>319664301
I remember this guy
>>
>>319665152
I remember back when I was on an RPG maker forum a guy wanted to make a first person 3D rpg using that head tracking setup, plus a wiimote in each hand. He was way more interested in making a simulation than making something fun. He also wanted a word filter to prevent people from naming their characters stupid stuff (single player game).
>>
File: 3D.gif (82 KB, 609x461) Image search: [Google]
3D.gif
82 KB, 609x461
>>319664889
Every 2D monitor having the potential to be 3D is more helpful than an expensive visor.

>>319664893
>implying
[pic]
>>
>>319665524
I wonder if a whole game could be made out of this type of imaging.
>>
>>319665724
>>
>>319665724
There's a magic eye tetris game somewhere on the internet.
>>
>>319665835
High scores, where we at
>>
>>319665524
>Every 2D monitor having the potential to be 3D is more helpful than an expensive visor.
Helpful for what? I'm sure it's good for some niche, but that's not what I'm disagreeing with. I'm saying it's not better.
>>
>>319666643
3D is 3D. The point of visors is more than just FOV and, effectively, blinders.

Depth perception is literally helpful for skillfulness, benefiting attention allocation, spacial resolution processing, etc., all for basically free (a Wiimote, a bluetooth receiver, and some LEDs -- already in most houses) vs. $300ish. Headtracking 3D also doesn't require rendering the image twice as with the headset.
>>
>>319667151
>3D is 3D
No, it's not. That's what I started with. Read the thread faggot. Rest is irrelevant as it either gives examples that can be achieved with a headset, or only benefits cost which isn't a factor for being "better".
>>
>>319667398
It literally is. That's like saying a gif isn't a video. Even if the information is interpolated, it's still "there".
>>
>>319667398
Rewatch the webm? It looks just like a window.
>>
>>319667626
>It literally is. That's like saying a gif isn't a video.
No, it would be like saying that saying video is video is untrue, which it is. Not all video is the same, as you indicate, some are gifs with interpolation. Same is true for 3D, not all 3D is equal. Some is more 3D than others, some just looks better, etc.
>>319667743
A window that content can't go through.
>>
>>319667626
Headtracking 3d like this is nearly useless. Can you imagine all us fatasses here ducking, bobbing, and swaying our heads to see the depth perception?

For good 3d, it needs to be obvious without moving your head. That means a separate image for each eye. That means rendering twice with offset cameras.
>>
File: a9c.jpg (66 KB, 528x528) Image search: [Google]
a9c.jpg
66 KB, 528x528
>>319667847
Pic relevant.

>>319667923
The movement can be minimal. They get more accurate with another light as well.
>>
>>319668221
>Pic relevant.
What do you not understand? It's just English, albeit a bit wordy, but I do not see another way of explaining the shit that you seem to not be getting.
3D is not equal, just like video is not equal. So 3D is not 3D by definition.
>>
only /v/ can dig up decades old meme tech that is incredibly outdated and get hyped for it

hey lets make a euclideon thread too
>>
>>319664301
Still need two Wiimotes.
Nintendo does it again.
>>
>>319668356
Because what you're implying doesn't have to be the case, as shown with the webm. The room moves around a central point. The 3D information is there -- the other sides of objects, for example.

>>319668374
>>actually better tech
>shitty strawman

>>319668624
No.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.