[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Going in blind as a wild mage. Is there anything I need to know?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3
File: 250px-Baldur's_Gate_box.jpg (25 KB, 250x303) Image search: [Google]
250px-Baldur's_Gate_box.jpg
25 KB, 250x303
Going in blind as a wild mage. Is there anything I need to know?
>>
The less your AC is the better.
>>
>>319644194
THANK YOU, CAPTAIN AD&D
>>
Hit the "Q" key a lot

Slings are pretty fucking rad for everyone

Hold down tab to see shit you can interact with. Game likes to hide awesome stuff behind single pixels

Only fighters and barbarians benefit from anything higher than 16 con. Hell to be honest as a mage the only important stats would be 16 con, 18 dex, and decent numbers in int and cha. Int doesn't really do much aside from affect your chance to copy spell scrolls to your book (something you can savescum). Only exception to this is you need 18 int to learn level 9 spells, but it's not requires to cast them so you can buff yourself up with potions and items to learn them. You do need 9 int to cast shit though.
>>
>>319644087
>wild mage

I would maybe stay away from that your first time through. I suggest Dwarf multiclass fighter/cleric.
>>
>>319644087
Are you aware of AD&D rules and how you're supposed to build your character?

Plenty of people go in with their
STR 12; DEX 13; CON 10; INT 15; WIS 12; CHA 16 - Fighters and then are really surprised when their characters can't do shit and die all the time.
>>
>>319644194
this fucked me up a lot in my childhood
>>
>>319645653
Did they not implement attribute modifiers yet? In 3rd edition, and maybe in 2nd too, stats themselves do jack shit, only the modifiers count, which are basically stat/2 rounded down, so having odd values were detrimental.
>>
>>319644087
If you're asking for tips then you're not going in blind you twat
>>
>>319644087
the guy who won´t shut up, hear him out.
the chicken has a 50/50 chance.
sdrawkcab.
give everyone a ranged weapon and only engage in CC or use magic if it survives.
>>
>>319645830
there are sts modifyers in 2 but they don´t increase linear.
>>
>>319645830
>only the modifiers count, which are basically stat/2 rounded down, so having odd values were detrimental.
Generally yes, but there were equipment parts which gave you an odd bonus if I remember correctly.

Stats become less important with higher levels but especially at the beginning you'll want those bonuses.
>>
>>319644087
Just remember that mages are extremely weak early game. As soon as you reach BG2/Bhaal you will be the exact opposite though. Mages lategame ruin everything.

For the early game stay at range at all times, use slings, etc. You WILL run out of spell uses.
>>
Read the manual
>>
>>319645830

They did, but unlike 3rd edition you cannot permanently increase them as you level. Only way to do that in BG is to use books and there's only one for each stat (2 for cha IIRC). The thing is though that is dex is like the most important stat in the game, and having a low number makes things insufferable.
>>
>>319646362
How so?
I remember Dex being shit in NWN. Because both melee attack damage and accuracy were determined by Str. Unless you wasted a feat to enable Dex influence accuracy, but only for selected weapon types.
>>
>>319644087
Learn sleep on the first spell level, web on the second. Those are the best control spells for a whole game.
>>
File: 1446158853667.png (6 KB, 59x60) Image search: [Google]
1446158853667.png
6 KB, 59x60
>>319645853
>>
>>319646541
Dex affects your AC quite substantially. But for everything melee you usually wanna have a high strength. Mages want decent Dex for AC and high INT for learning spells/spell slots. Also you can avoid INT/WIS/CHA on most characters that don´t really need it for their class. Cha does almost nothing except for warlocks and wis is pretty useless for mages too (except wish but there´s potions for that).
>>
>>319646204
How're mages weak. In BG1 one single cast of sleep trumps everything until and including ankheg at which point your money and level problem is solved.
>>
>>319647048
I meant very early game when you can have as low as 1hp and magic missiles. Also he´s a beginner so he probably doesn´t know about spell choices etc.
>>
>>319646541

Dex affects your AC substantially, and it's important to dodge blows especially early on. Also affects rogue stuff too. If you're melee you want str and dex to be as high as possible, but I generally choose dex over str because there's plenty of ways to up your str as opposed to dex.

>>319646993

Cha also determines some quest rewards
>>
>>319647301
This. You can find strength belts that basically overwrite your strength stat instead of adding to it. I think there´s only strength belts in BG2 though.
>>
>>319647048
because 1d4+ConB hitdie, meaning in most cases 1-4 HP per level, every single enemy can one hit them in the beginning and possibly even until level 3.
They have less spells than fingers on one hand and casting/resting doesn´t work all that well when you get ambushed by wolves or gibberlings with a high chance, and you are down on HP and spells of course.

That is how they are weak, and using all spells on one enounter and then resting for the next is as mentioned risky.
>>
>>319647510
> there´s only strength belts in BG2 though.
no.
>>
>>319647642
You mean the gauntlets?
>>
>>319647568
Beginners can reload
Advanced players simply get 18 str/dex and bludgeon those to death. Or just run away.
>>
>>319644867
>>319644867
If you're importing to BG2 then 18 wis is useful in making the Wish spell god-tier. It's not a requirement though and you can get like 6 points in it throughout the games if you do it right.
>>
>>319644087
Choose sleep as your first spell.
>>
No matter what, you should equip all your guys with ranged weapons as secondaries, slingshots and bows and shit, they are fucking op as hell.
>>
>>319651295
You can just drink potion for wisdom and spend skill point for actually important attributes like constitution and dexterity.
>>
I wish I had seen that thread two weeks ago before I started playing with a friend for the first time. The very beginning of the game kicked our shit in.
>>
Darts > slings
Fill entire first level spell slots with reckless dweomer when you get chaos shield.
Save before engaging in combat as wild mage will randomly fuck up your entire party even though the chance is relatively low.

Overall it's fun as hell build, borderline broken if you savescum, arguably even more broken than a sorcerer.
>>
>>319653413
Throwing knives > all.
>>
>>319654293
Too heavy and not as fast.
Darts can reliably interrupt enemy spellcasters because you can throw them at lighting speed.
Although at some point you will just replace all physical weapons with minute meteors anyway.
>>
>>319654293

Bitch please. Throwing axes is where it's at. Especially the returning one
>>
File: 1447535402353.jpg (22 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
1447535402353.jpg
22 KB, 240x240
>>319654293
>mfw wizard slayer with darts
It's not like those mages need to ever cast anything anyway.
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.