[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Disgaea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9
File: Publicity_d101.jpg (188 KB, 712x1000) Image search: [Google]
Publicity_d101.jpg
188 KB, 712x1000
I'm going to start playing the first one. The DS version, since I'm going to be on a trip and I have no PSP

Some questions

From what I've seen, does having too many party members backfire? Considering that you have to level up all of them maybe it's wiser to have less party members to share less exp among them

Knowing this, is much of a problem not to have a healer? Since healers do not get exp by healing and they must attack as well I might cut one from the party
>>
If you're just planning to clear the story oftentimes it's easiest to just level a single character of your choice as hard as you can. Levels are a big deal before post-game and oftentimes one single overleveled unit can steamroll a lot of the content. If you hit snags you can grind up some more or lift the rest of your characters up more. It's really more a question of how much time you're willing to invest. Having a balanced leveled team or one single juggernaut are both valid playstyles, it's more about identifying the maps that are meant for grinding levels.
>>
>>319637203
My idea is playing a team of only four characters because I'm an autistic fuck who, whenever he plays an RPG in which you can create your party, I must make characters that represent me and my group of three friends
>>
>>319637203
adding to my post, healers are somewhat difficult to level in the early titles for the reasons you've described. With a balanced team they're more valuable. Try getting their affinity up with your main attackers and have them join in or start team attacks.
>>
>>319637420
what if I decide not to use a healer?
>>
>>319637412
I have a handful of characters I always remake in any game that allows me custom characters, so I know the feeling. Oftentimes I'll use the generic custom characters more than the storyline characters. you can field 10 units at a time if I remember right, so 4 is a much lower amount, you'll likely need a few filler characters to help them out, or to teach them other skills they need, but it's entirely doable. Just focus on those 4, giving them skills and equipment, using your other 6 either for buffing, fodder, or lift/throw bitches.
>>
Sup dood
>>
File: dood.jpg (63 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
dood.jpg
63 KB, 480x480
>>
File: strat.jpg (187 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
strat.jpg
187 KB, 1280x960
>>319637510
There are healing items you can use, and mechanics in place to teach healing spells to non healer units, so you could have your 4 main characters with healing capabilities if you swing it right.
>>
>>319637708
>>319638036
perfect, thank you man, I'll give it a try right now
>>
File: D3_Salvatore_Bust.png (390 KB, 718x885) Image search: [Google]
D3_Salvatore_Bust.png
390 KB, 718x885
>>319637510
you can teach any character healing skill if you want to.
Create healer by that character, move healer closer to character who created healer in a first place. skill "heal" will appear on master character skill select screen.
>>319637412
you'll still need to create another characters to make your party fulfill various roles via teaching magic and such, and you'll need to grind a lot.
Aside of that it should be ok with just 4 characters.
>>
>>319638068
If you're playing Disgaea 1, there are a few maps in the story mode where you'll find exp+ panels, making the maps good for leveling. Redoing maps after you've cleared them once sometimes changes the layout/geopanel locations. Also, if any of your characters are going to be using swords, there should be a skill called Winged Slayer or some such later on down the line. Learn to love it.
>>
File: 5.jpg (69 KB, 778x511) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
69 KB, 778x511
how am I supposed to play these games without fapping every 30 minutes?
>>
>>319638420
there is no fanservice in Disgaea, you retard.
>>
>>319638420
Play them in English.
Instant boner-kill.
>>
>>319636945
>Starting Disgaea
>On the worst gaming hardware of the past two generations
Stop! You are making a big mistake. When you get to the item gods, the system will be running at a silky smooth 5fps.
>>
File: Pleinair.jpg (275 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Pleinair.jpg
275 KB, 1280x1024
>>319638873
DS port is ok, and it is arguably best content (Pleinair) + mechanics wise.
But lack of voiced dialogue - this is what kills it.
>>
File: whyevencensorit.jpg (228 KB, 590x874) Image search: [Google]
whyevencensorit.jpg
228 KB, 590x874
>>319638756
but these characters man, I want to have them all

>>319638871
that was the first thing I did was change the language to Japanese, but that just set off an hour and a half fapping session, so you're probably right
>>
>>319639026
I don't know, I considered the english dub to be kinda cringeworthy
>>
>>319639107
>but these characters man, I want to have them all
all what you'll see - is characters sprites. and art when clearing stage.
that's it. There is no fanservice in this game. Calm your hormones.
If you want a lot of Disgaea art - better get scans of artbooks. cause 50 hours in you'll be already skipping all attack animations and more worried about how get high level item quickly than looking on low res sprites of your characters.
>>319639435
DS version has dual audio. All Disgaea games has dual audio.
I meant that not all dialogue will be voiced fully like in PSP/PS2 version.
>>
>>319639565
>Calm your hormones.
I can't brb fap
>>
>>319638873
>the worst gaming hardware of the past two generations
you surely jest
>>
>>319638420
who is this semen dealer?
>>
>>319639812
Male healer from the later Disgaea titles, I wanna say 4 and onward? I don't think they were in 3 but I could be mistaken.
>>
>>319639026
The bonus Prinny commentary is kinda nice too.
>>
>>319639896
I kinda switched on PSP version halfway thru DS, don't remember Prinny stuff at all, care to enlighten me?
>>
>>319639891
how can I search for him in lewd pages, what name
>>
File: CBqzSjgVEAARapQ.jpg (100 KB, 600x847) Image search: [Google]
CBqzSjgVEAARapQ.jpg
100 KB, 600x847
>>319640163
僧侶(男)
>>
>>319640163
That one specifically is the priest from Disgaea D2. Male Healer or Priest will probably get you the best hits
>>
Is there a good guide on how to play Disgaea? Walkthroughs just go through the story's maps one by one and have the other stuff in a section away from the main game, but I'm sort of looking for a guide that introduces me to everything all at once, first in a shallow manner then ramping up to really utilizing the game's crazy depth.

I'm playing Hour of Darkness on my Vita, and I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Do I go through each map with tons of characters? When should I be using the assembly? How important are items, and is the item world relevant to me right now?
>>
>>319641364
there are strategy guides. look for pdfs, cause finding a book is tricky.
Game is not that hard when mechanics click with you.
If you just want to beat the story - just proceed thru story, other side stuff is not needed.
>>
>>319641494
I'll do that, thanks. I'm looking to really get into all the game's extras instead of just blasting through the story, but the in-game explanations and walkthroughs basically just tell you what they are, but now how to use them properly/when I should be using them.
>>
>>319638068
You can have your healers be damage dealers the same way. It takes a bit of time getting a supper mage out but worth it in the end (laharel knows every spell, same goes for my 2 main healers)
>>
>>319641364
Disgaea has as much content as you're willing to give it. You can make a bunch of characters you can. Most of the advanced stuff isn't needed to clear the story, so if that's all you're wanting to do, you can probably finish without ever really using item world or the assembly. It's as deep as you're willing to make it. If you're wanting to know more on a subject, look up guides on that portion of the game specifically, don't try to find an all-encompassing one.
>>
>>319641704
I doubt there is winning move anywhere. I've been playing series almost non stop for last half of a year, and it takes awhile for all mechanics to click with me.
Even if I understand for example how good is to have particular innocents in items, I always kinda don't bother with them.
Just take things in your own pace, don't try to rush it, experiment.
>>
>>319641910
I have the platinum trophy in D3 and it took me until I think late post-game to even realize diagonal throwing was a thing. The mechanics are fun in the sense that they feel like you're cheating when you learn them, like lift/throwing in the assembly to pass bills you have no business passing at your level.
>>
>>319642004
yeah, Disgaea is all about finding gameplay mechanics you can exploit for your own good. That's how it is supposed to be.
>>
>>319642004
I seem to remember in D2 you could get pick up a senator who was on your side and keep throwing him into the negative ones so they merged and you ended up removing all the negative votes
>>
>>319642196
I think that works with all games.
>>
>>319642238
Yeah, that started in the original Disgaea and was kind of a neat trick you could do in each one. I personally kept the positive senator still, threw out some bait characters to lead the hostile ones to me, and tossed the negatives onto the positive one, in later games using monster types to make kind of a conveyor belt of bounces onto it.
>>
File: 1438686022017.jpg (138 KB, 500x1380) Image search: [Google]
1438686022017.jpg
138 KB, 500x1380
>>319642325
I never actually tried to persuade by force, usually just bribe them all to victory. Just remember that this technique was included in tutorial either in 2nd or 3rd Disgaea.
>>
>>319642004
Shit, I think you just captured why I enjoy these games so much.
So much of it feels like you're cheating or breaking the game somehow when it's actually entirely expected and often intended. Like when I first discovered that I could stack and throw characters to painlessly clear Item World stages and ended up with a sword that doubled my attack power. The entire game is a constant chain of moments like these.
>>
>>319642516
There's a lot of that. I recall a map, I don't remember the specifics, but I was supposed to take some long winding path around some no entry panels or some such, but because I had learned how to diagonal throw before the game made it obvious how to do so, I wanna say I was able to chuck somebody in a hole in the no entry panels and skip it almost entirely. Or like with my monster belt for tossing, none of those monsters even needed to stay out after the toss. Move them into position, toss monster into senator/base panel/whatever, put them back. The entire game is basically learning how to cheat, duplicate, and otherwise exploit your way to the top, because item world, land of carnage, character world, etc, are not going to be nice to you. They will kick your ass unless you're being just as underhanded.
>>
>>319642827
Bullshitting your way to the top fits the characters/setting/tone of the game rather nicely, really.
>>
>>319642943
It really does. Those moments of revelation when you realize some sneaky shit you just learned would have helped you dozens of hours ago, and there was nothing stopping you from doing it then other than you just didn't know are the best. Looking back on my platinum in D3, I feel like if I sat down to do it again in one of the other titles it'd be probably 100 hours faster or more, just because you learn so much of how to break and abuse the game when you're playing post-game.
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.