[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think about Portal/Portal 2?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Portal 2.jpg (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Portal 2.jpg
3 MB, 1920x1080
What does /v/ think about Portal/Portal 2?
>>
Cool games.
>>
portal 1 was a nice little extra, portal 2 was a fun expansion of 1
>>
>>319632434
Fun stuff. Haven't played them in forever, though.
>>
Portal 1 was design over aesthetic
Portal 2 was style over substance

They never quite found the happy medium. Great games, though
>>
Portal 1 was absolutely fucking brilliant for a small game that was basically distributed for free. It was a small game, but it was basically flawless.

Portal 2 was not bad, but felt distinctively unnecessary. It felt like something that has been done because people wanted more of Portal, rather than because Portal needed expanding, and at times it felt like it kinda missed the point of what made the original portal so damn good.
I don't regret buying and playing Portal 2, but it sure as hell isn't a game I feel like replaying and it's something I generally tend to forget that even existed.
>>
>>319632434
srright, good bit of fun

never got why /v/ was so assmad about it
>>
the awful robot and glados' humanish attitude ruined 2, too bad. it was also artificially long because of hidden walls.
1 is perfect in its narration, a masterpiece in that regard. the friendly cube thing is one of the best ideas i've seen in video games
>>
>>319634109
>never got why /v/ was so assmad about it
I can explain that. Two related issues: A) the culture surrounding Portal at one point really got out of hand. The amount of "the cake is a lie, LOL" shit that was literally sprayed by "streetartists" on every corner and found it's way to just as about every annoying possible social outlet was frustrating. Yatzee once said that in retrospect, he could find precisely one thing wrong about Portal 1: It's fanbase.
/v/, being exceptionally sensitive about these things, started reacting negatively to just about every mention of it purely because how obnoxious the fanbase of Portal got.

And things got even worse when the clear rivalry between /v/ and Reddit emerged, and Reddit (at the time about fifteen times smaller than it's today, and still working as a relatively homogenic "subculture") became obsessive about anything Valve. So naturally, /v/ decided to do the same in reverse, and liking anything Valve related became a taboo - including Portal.
>>
Never used the potential of the portal concept well at all. Only maps and mods made by others ever demanded something of the player.
>>
>>319632434
I fucking love portal.
It's my favourite game, but I actually never finished it lol.
>>
>>319635020
L O N D O N

O

N

D

O

N
>>
They're okay.

Some good moments, and the co-op in 2 was fun.
>>
>>319634418
yo thanks for the indepth explanation
>>
I love colossal underground facilities
And the scale of the place in 2 got pretty obscene
>>
Too much meme killed the maymay.
>>
File: 2014-09-30_00001.jpg (157 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
2014-09-30_00001.jpg
157 KB, 1920x1080
What about some of the mods that are coming/have came out? PS: Mel, thinking with time machine, aperture tag, etc. I haven't found them to be as good as they're praised to be.
>>
>>319635020
why did you have to remind me
>>
>>319635670
I loved what they did with Source in this part of the game, the sheer scale of the whole facility was enough to give you vertigo.
Streumon kinda did the same with EYE with some clever lighting and fogs.
>>
Portal 1 is an all-around better game. That's not to say Portal 2 is bad, but its humor fell flat far more often and it tried to cram in as many jokes as it could.
>>
File: ....jpg (25 KB, 376x260) Image search: [Google]
....jpg
25 KB, 376x260
>>319636426
>mfw Valve explicitely said they wanted to generate another meme like the cake in the second game but it never got off
>>
>>319632434
I loved how Portal 1 suddenly became a bit spooky when you got behind the testing rooms

You're like "oh shit, am I alone in this fuck-huge complex ruled by an AI?"
>>
>>319636568
Well that shit probably sold them a lot of copies, of both 1 and 2
So obviously they'd to achieve that again
>>
Enjoyed both, hope they make a 3rd with that unused mechanic they planned for originally in 2.
>>
>>319636593
This.
I played the game maybe two years after it was released and ignored all the memes and bad jokes and completely immersed myself in the game and oh shit that was a fun ride while it lasted. I always expected to see someone in one of them desk overlooking the test chambers but after a while you accept the fact you're completely alone in that facility.
Also I almost shit my pants when a door closed behind me in the later levels, then I realized they all do that.
Same shit happened to me with the Talos Principle with that Kamikaze ghost running at you when you finish a level.
>>
>>319636593
I know who I kept expecting to see watching
>>
>>319636786
>Enjoyed both, hope they make a 3rd with that unused mechanic they planned for originally in 2.
F-Stop. And I think the reason why they did not use it in Portal 2 was because it did not really make sense within the Portal story and universe. So if anything, we should hope that they use it in some new IP.
And considering how heavily Valve tends to re-use old concepts, I would assume that is going to happen... eventually.
>>
File: oh shit.jpg (254 KB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
oh shit.jpg
254 KB, 1680x1050
>>319636984
forgot pic
>>
They're great. Shame Valve is a tech company now.
>>
>Portal
Fun puzzle game with entertaining narration that doesn't outstay its welcome. Really good game in general, especially considering they've given it away for free on many occasions.
>Portal 2
Really entertaining writing but it comes at the expense of the gameplay sometimes, with extended sections that have no puzzles and multiple parts where the "puzzle" amounts to "shoot a portal at the only white surface you can see." When it actually gets to proper puzzles they're quite good, especially with the addition of new stuff like gels. Definitely worth playing but not as tightly designed as the first and outstays its welcome just a bit. Co-op mode is fucking God-tier though if you play it blind with a friend.

They can be hard to properly talk about on the internet due to their memetic status, but they're both good games for what they are.
>>
portal was the first game I ever bought on steam
>>
File: 824[1].png (50 KB, 700x250) Image search: [Google]
824[1].png
50 KB, 700x250
>>319637189
The limited portal surfaces was probably the most obvious dumb-down for me too
>>
Portal 1 was a nice little game, made great through just what a surprise the whole experience was.

Portal 2 felt like they were trying to make it bigger and better and a lot of the humour fell flat with me. Partially because I'm not really a fan of Stephen Merchant. I am British, so the stereotypical Brit comedy doesn't hit very hard with me. Then gameplay also felt more like "find what I can stick a portal on and progress"

Cave Johnson was amazing though. Although I half expected him to say "when life gives you lemons, get pictures of spiderman"
>>
>>319637058
Fuck, if only

They'll cross over with that fucking ship in HL3 ;^)
>>
The level design of the last levels in Portal 2 was some crazy shit, I loved it, with the whole facility on the brink of collapse.
>>
>>319637119
>They're great. Shame Valve is a jew company now.
FTFY
>>
>>319637459
epic
>>
>>319636568
No they didn't
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.