[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /v/ think about this game? What does it do better/worse
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (663 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
663 KB, 1920x1080
What does /v/ think about this game?
What does it do better/worse than other MMOs on the market?
Is there anything you particularly love or hate about it?

I, for one, get slightly annoyed by the slow combat, loading screens, and fetch quests, but they're not deal breakers.
I'd say that I prefer it over WoW just because of the way the endgame is handled and you get shoved into a traditional gear treadmill and have to farm currency you get from dungeons like in 3.3 wotlk, as opposed to WoD where you do dungeons for maybe a day or two and then you never go back to them.

Don't you dare tell me to go to /xivg/ that place is easily the worst general on /vg/ and I would much rather put up with /v/'s shitposting than /xivg/'s constant erp and avatarfagging
>>
I can't really say much because this is the only mmo i actually spent time on, but I hate how uncreative raids are.

also bioshock general is the worst general, its just elizabeth posting
>>
Yeah wod end game blew ass, but the legion hype train is real
>>
I respect the shit out Square for wanting to restore the FF brand after FFXIV - if only we got the same kind of treatment from companies like Blizzard. I love the visuals, job mechanics, and certain social systems in place that encourages players being nice to each other. I also like the minimal UI and it being easily customization.

I strongly fucking dislike the fact that it has a subscription fee. There are way too many fucking buttons to manage. The race options feel very lackluster to me. Finally, it can feel very grindey.
>>
It's shit.
>>
>>319622151
>being easily customization.
*customizable
Fucking need sleep.
>>
>>319621760
A big thing I missed about WoW was how interesting the world is. FFXIV does a good job of creating interesting characters ingame, but ultimately I found Azeroth much more interesting than Eorzea. This is mainly because of the way the raids/dungeons in WoW were integrated into the lore and world. In FFXIV, it feels like certain places exist just for you to loot them.
>>
>>319622236
Oh yeah, this too. Eorzea unfortunately doesn't have shit on Azeroth.
>>
>wow thread
>>
>>319622151
The way I see it, you can either have a subscription fee that filters out the BRs and shitters, as well as ensures that the devs will have no justification for cash shop bullshit (other than reskins of pre existing mounts and other aesthetic stuff) like blizzard is doing with WoW
or
You can get a F2P/B2P game with all kinds of people coming in and populating the community - for better or worse - and have devs who are more likely to implement pay2win cash shop shit.

I like to see a sub fee as a means of quality control.
>>
>>319622584
This. However, I will be VERY, disappointed with blizz if they go any farther with it. WoW tokens are enough, but if it comes to where you can buy gear that's regularly SB, I'll be pretty pissed
>>
File: tumblr_mxh707Tkl61qzusvso1_500.jpg (12 KB, 500x332) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mxh707Tkl61qzusvso1_500.jpg
12 KB, 500x332
>>319622584
The game should be buy to play with an option to buy gold (you can buy gold in any MMO nowadays). Guild Wars 2 does it best I think. WoW does it the absolute worst being buy to play, having a sub fee, and selling the only unique rewards in the game via expensive as shit microtransactions.

It's not okay for companies to double or triple dip. It's only okay if the consumer decides that it's okay to fuck them over.
>>
>>319622975
> Only unique rewards only through micro transactions

Sure, Jan.
>>
>>319622236
>wow
>how interesting the world was
Agreed wholeheartedly, don't get me wrong, the heavensward areas were some of the prettiest and largest zones yet, but they're not that creative outside of azys la.
>>
>>319622151
>There are way too many fucking buttons to manage
>literally made for consoles
you're part of the problem and the reason class hegemonization exists
>>
I hate how autistic the user base is about raiding. I mean, usually guilds have to be picky about who they put on their core team but usually by mid to end of a tier it won't be hard for anyone to get into a solid group. But in ffxiv, raid groups - even the shitty ones - demand so much from you, to the point where you have to rely on nepotism because there's no way to actually get into it due to the "in order to raid with us you need experience in the raid, and if you're new, you can have fun running dungeons forever" mentality.

Though honestly, it's much better than having a babbyfied raid progression with a million steps to just get into normal content.
>>
>>319624429
Raiding nepotism has been an issue since Everquest 2. Elitists will always be elitists and people are dickheads who talk hotshit but are usually after a carry. I had trouble even gearing my tank up properly in wotlk because of the ridiculous stat inflation fucking up HP pools, not to mention that stupid gear score bullshit meaning I couldn't even get Vault groups on certain days.
>>
>>319622230
We knew what you meant. Anyone that gets on someones ass for spelling or grammar should just die.
>>
Amazing game until the joke of a raid that is Alexander. I tolerated the bullshit 200ms ping in a server with half the population not wanting to play with gaijins because it's the closest server to Australia, but Alexanderp was the gamekiller for me. Clearing it gave no excitement since I knew the story already (thanks whiny casuals) and lag became way too punishing for the new class mechanics introduced by 3.0. The cinematics are like watching a primary school play unfold, even with VA.

That, and the fucking scrubs mang. Jesus fucking christ the amount of sheer mental retardation and learning disabilities you see in this game...
>>
>>319624909
It's because us "elitists" have tolerated you slow-learners since 2.0. We're not even allowed to give you feedback on your performance and say why we're wiping to the same shit after 2 months of raiding. It's just "waahhh wahhhh elitist hurting muh feelings u guise r meanie >:("

We've modified our team strategies to accommodate for your incompetence because we thought it was easier to potty train retards than to kick you and adopt new ones (less drama too).

So no, go fuck yourself, shitters ruined this game for everyone.
>>
>>319626104
the horrible lag in this game makes me wonder if people are dying because they legitimately suck or because of lag
>>
>>319622975
>Guild Wars 2 does it best
>has the least amount of post launch content updates of any mmo i've ever played

yeah they totally knocked it out of the park
>>
File: Long Shot.webm (3 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
Long Shot.webm
3 MB, 640x360
>>319626104
>The cinematics are like watching a primary school play unfold, even with VA.
Can thank YoshiP for that. We had an expansion pack, they could have had a directing budget, but nope.
>>
>>319621261
It's got a nice main story line. It's got decent side quests. And there a fuckton of sidequests.

But character build diversity is non existent. Equipment diversity is non existent. And endgame is just grinding for gear without the character building and theorycrafting.
>>
>>319627118
What the fuck happened to the cutscenes after 1.0? They're so dull and lifeless compared to this.
>>
File: XI_Spoiler_Girl Power.webm (3 MB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
XI_Spoiler_Girl Power.webm
3 MB, 640x400
>>319628424
Budgets. Even FFXI has a bigger animation budget. ARR devs would rather waste time on new armor sets every update even if some of it is shared/repurposed from an older set.
>>
>>319628424
Different engine. Old one was terrible unoptimized garbage. Unfortunately nothing much will change on that front until PS3 support is dropped next expansion. So much stuff suffers in 2.0 because of PS3.
>>
File: ffxivai.webm (2 MB, 940x750) Image search: [Google]
ffxivai.webm
2 MB, 940x750
>>319629612
ARR can do all the shit 1.0 could as evidenced in certain cutscenes. Hell, ARR's engine is a fork of Luminous, which was what was supposed to succeed Crystal Tools which XIII trilogy & 1.0 ran off of.

They're just avoiding the costs of having to animate/mo-cap shit in key cutscenes is all so they can continue raking in the profits until the playerbase gets bored to shit of the same recycled content design every six months.
>>
>>319627118
His superiors, more likely.

>main dev team goes on vacation after HW launch
>SE fails to put more people and resources on FFXIV to ensure that the content stream doesn't just dry up

This game is supposed to be their next nest egg after FFXI, and they invest next-to-nothing in it.
>>
>>319630338
Don't forget the pointless waste of resources that Lord of Verminion probably took from them that could have been better put elsewhere.

Like, oh, making Diadem actually have something in it instead of being a whack-a-mole playground.
>>
>>319621261
Maximum cozy for me. Just below XI. Soft lighting, gentle tunes, just watching rivers ripple is relaxing. The combat is fine tuned on my PS4 and comfy increases 10 fold when I'm not juggling keys on a keyboard.

I find the story pretty meh, especially the hipster homo NPCs and the quests are nothing special but then again I've only found Anarchy Online and Asheron's Call to have even mediocre stories in MMOs (yes, I'm saying WoW lore is fucking stupid).

It's not the perfect game by any means but I like it.
>>
>>319630647
>and comfy increases 10 fold when I'm not juggling keys on a keyboard
If you're not doing battle content on a lvl60 job, sure.
>>
I'm watching an anime about living in an MMO world.

I wish there were MMOs like this with classes that no one would want to be so I could be it.

Man, one day we may get a full VR MMO. Can you imagine? Spend half the day in that sucker.
>>
>>319631406
>Can you imagine?
Yeah I can imagine a first person MMO where I just stare at something while mashing my rotation out with a bored look on my face.
>>
>>319621261
it's alright

interesting combat if you can make it to and past 50, since it's reallllyyyyy slow before that many people drop it on the way there

but, it can get pretty fun. if you wanna get really good then it can get pretty deep. thats if you wanna be really good. the game pushes an emphasis on ogcds and dps.

tons of buttons, tons of ogcds and managing them properly makes the difference between a good player and a shit player.
>>
File: 1413296447792.gif (2 MB, 450x254) Image search: [Google]
1413296447792.gif
2 MB, 450x254
>>319622584
>filters out the BRs
There are BRs, peruvians, pinoys, europoors, ausies, russians, chinese gold sellers, japanese, etc. playing atm in the NA servers.

>filter shitters
NOPE. Just read (or better yet, play the game) about the recent drama about how shit the NA servers are compared to EU and JP servers.

>no justification for cash shop bullshit
There is a cash shop, they also pulled in game items to make you buy them. Missed an event minion? No problem, you only need to pay $5, Race change? $10, Recolored mounts? Old NPC outfits? Hairstyles? Server transfer? Metallic Dye Pots?
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.