[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>play Starbound >it's okay until you get the FTL drive
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10
File: 1439256848377.jpg (44 KB, 400x320) Image search: [Google]
1439256848377.jpg
44 KB, 400x320
>play Starbound
>it's okay until you get the FTL drive
>after the FTL drive is fixed it's the same thing over and over
>mine slowly for materials, of which you need too much, to craft items, which for some reason is mandatory, even though you need a shitton of materials and need to craft very often
>it's the same shit over and over, sometimes with a mission inbetween that has poorly done action music and non-interesting level design
>exploring is insanely boring, the bases of every race that show up all feel the same
>enemy variety is awful
I don't understand
>>
we could have told you that like, three years ago

in fact, we probably did
>>
>>319606231
I've seen people insist it's somehow a finished game and that it's good and not boring at all and a wonderful experience

How does that even happen?
>>
>>319606420
do you think someone would really do that? just go on the internet and lie to people?
>>
>>319606558
I think it's more about shit taste than lying
>>
Did they really remove low tier pickaxes?

I can't seem to craft any.
>>
>>319606942
they break anyway so I never bothered making them
>>
File: goofyhelmet16.jpg (3 MB, 4212x2808) Image search: [Google]
goofyhelmet16.jpg
3 MB, 4212x2808
>mfw there are still fanboys for this game shilling it on other sites

how do these people still have any trust in pufferfish or whatever the fuck the companies name is
>>
>>319606420
>I've seen people insist it's somehow a finished game and that it's good and not boring at all and a wonderful experience
we call those people "shills", anon, and you aren't actually supposed to listen to them
>>
So this game still isn't finished?
>>
The combat update did make it more fun desu, the new ambient details are good too.

Everything else is still trash though.
The grind holds no meaningful weight to your development. Towns are still fuckall. Plot is still fuckall.

It literally became just a furry rp game.

Damn shame.
>>
>>319607498
let me put it this way: they just rolled out their third or fourth overhaul of the combat system

they've spent how many years in development, and still haven't quite decided out how fundemental game mechanics are supposed to work. does it sound like they're ever going to finish?
>>
>>319607653
Also they have all this shit to cook and farm, and nothing is useful at all. What the fuck.
>>
>>319606420
>>319607308
No one tends to want to feel that they've wasted money, and that also by some means of being able to see the game devlop they feel as though they've helped at some length to make what they wanted.

People tend to split into the "HOLY FUCK I WASTED MONEY AND THIS FUCKING SUCKS" or the "NO IT'S FINE, SERIOUSLY I LIKE LESS FEATURES MORE, IT'S NOT SO CLUTTERED" grouping. Some people are bound to actually really like the game, while a good chunk are either trying to pick the pieces up or are deadset on telling everyone it sucks.

The weirdest part is that odds are it'll become a good game once Chuckfish are done with it, not because they'll do a good job, but because they will probably never update or bug fix it. Which means mods can come in and finally get a start without 40 nightly updates ruining everything
>>
>>319606420
It's finished in the sense that the developers officially called it finished.

Now you know why crowdfunded vidya is such a shit idea
>>
>>319606060
Glad Giraffe has only just been pushed to Stable so if you've been using that instead of Unstable, then you might be missing out on the latest update that's implemented more stuff for combat and enemy variety. You might want to stick with your beginning system for a while when starting out. That usually provides more than enough tools and materials to get you going. Just remember to stop using the Matter Manipulator and start using the Pickaxes. They go a lot faster. They've also acknowledged that the current missions and quests have been lackluster, but that they're mostly there to lay down the framework for the Story Update that's going to be coming as part of 1.0

Other than that, it's the same autistic building shit as every other game of the same breed after you've established a base. What did you expect from such a shitty genre that has to rely on dick waving with friends to extend its life? The only way to get enjoyment out of Terraria, Starbound, Edge of Space, Minecraft, etc. in the long run is by finding someone as equally autistic to sit down and give you a handy because you just happened to find a ravine leading straight down close to Shadow Orbs early on or your base is on a planet where Avian Pirates happened to spawn. It's all a crock of shit.
>>
>>319608667
The joke is Terraria has way more variety in environments, bosses, progression, and pretty much everything

The combat/enemy variety additions don't seem to help Starbound, like, at all
>>
>>319608859
>Terraria has way more variety in environments, bosses, progression, and pretty much everything

It's pretty much po-tay-to and po-tah-to for this. The games both have their own systems for going about items, bosses, biomes, and more. Really, Starbound has come a long way in its 2 years in Early Access, going from simply just swing a sword to having special attacks for unique weapons and special styles and combos for each weapon type. It's the same for Terraria pushing out the 1.1, 1.2, and 1.3.1 updates over the course of 4 years that provided the essential Hardcore mode to really make the game pop, and 1.3.1 was the cherry on top to provide a true endgame for those that were the most dedicated to the game. They've both come a long way from when they were first released to the update and have a lot more depth to them than they used to.

But that doesn't change the fact that they're all dime a dozen shit that's only for the most autistic of anons that spend their time dawdling in such games. They're all equal when they're all shwarming in a pot of shit.
>>
>>319609484
Except that Starbound's update didn't add any substantial content
>>
File: 1446568397948.png (3 KB, 312x312) Image search: [Google]
1446568397948.png
3 KB, 312x312
>>319609530
Sure mate. If that's how you want to keep rationalizing eating shit that's added corn instead of shit that's added nuts, then keep on doing that.
>>
>>319609871
Combat changes that don't actually add much (I've noticed that the specials don't add much depth and don't change how I fight at all) are not substantial content, retard
>>
>>319609959
>Weapon style additions
>NPC home building system
>Quests
>Bosses
>New unique items
>New unique enemies
>Vehicles
>New Biomes

Gee, it's almost as if both Terraria and Starbound have had almost the exact same update structure over the years. That really plays into the fact that they're both shitty games.
>>
>>319610209
Terraria uses its additions better
>>
File: 1421182684362.jpg (137 KB, 960x806) Image search: [Google]
1421182684362.jpg
137 KB, 960x806
>>319610283
Po-tay-toh, Po-tah-to
Shit with corn, shit with nuts
>>
I am aware that the game is pretty terrible. But I was FINALLY able to create my underwater base on an aquatic planet.

I have wanted this for so long. Aquatic planets are the shit.

>Have people wandering around undersea dome
>Lower levels have bunks, farms and general science-y shit
>As well as a rather deep pool of healing water I planted

The game can be comfy. But that's about it.
>>
File: 1426376162233.jpg (244 KB, 1846x1212) Image search: [Google]
1426376162233.jpg
244 KB, 1846x1212
>>319610424
>>
File: 1449088853998.jpg (33 KB, 419x419) Image search: [Google]
1449088853998.jpg
33 KB, 419x419
>>319610424
>starbound shills have to resort to shitflinging to defend their awful game
>>
>>319610504
It would be more comfy if they had kept hunger&cold&airless hazard, with their respective gear and made implants take longer to obtain.
>>
It bothers me more that people defend both games and pick dumb internet fights for the sole purpose of trolling.
>>
File: 2015-08-21_00001.jpg (123 KB, 1280x962) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-21_00001.jpg
123 KB, 1280x962
>>319610504
>land on a desert planet
>find that the water here has healing properties
>wander around sapping it all up to create a healing spring for my colony
>get stuck in a sandstorm while on the surface
>getting annoyed while wandering around blindly
>stumble onto cabin that's blocking the storm
>sit inside while comfy music comes on

Could be better, but these moments have maximum UNF
>>
>>319610504
Got pics?
>>
>>319610975
It bothers me that there's people on this board that actually play video games
>>
>>319611096
It bothers me that people reply to posts
>>
>>319611031

If this thread can live till I can get home from work I will post some.

But I am at work. So, no.
>>
Everyone heard about the hack? Forums and modding is down
>>
>>319606060
kek. I literally just asked about this on vg:
>So Starbound had a big update but apparently the general for that is dead. (weren't those joined at one point?)
Has anyone tried it? It looks kinda fun and all. I'm just worried the progress is still this horrible "dig through the bottom of each planet for an hour to get armour and weapons upgrade to beat a boss and then fuck off to the next planet. do this 10 times to get to the "max" equipment."
Because that shit was boring as fuck. Did they change any of that?

Are there still RP servers where I can flirt with cute florans?"

Looks like I got my answer. That always pissed me off about Starbound. Is there a way I can cheat the materials so I can skip all the retarded low level shit I already did way back on characters long since eaten by updates that made them uncompatible? Some sort of console command? Because fuck digging through 15 planets some ore that is way too fucking rare. I've already done that. I want back to the status I had when I left the fucking game.
>>
>>319612032
Here you go
http://starbounditems.herokuapp.com/

Should be everything. Turn on admin mode with /admin and then type in /spawmitem whatever you want from the list
>>
>>319606558
>>319606661
I think it's more investment bias than anything else. They pay for it, they spend tons of time in it, they tell themselves that the game is absolutely worth all that investment because that is easier than to admit "fuck me, I wasted 20 bucks and 20 hours on this bullshit and it doesn't even have a single fucking quests that's more advanced than "get some wood to build some shit"".

So when they see others calling it shit they defend it. You've seen it in tons of OBJECTIVELY terrible games. War Z (Now Surviver stories or something) for instance. Was a shitty re-skin of a shitty cash grab shooter now with zombies in it. It didn't have half the features it said it had on the steam page, the banner art was stolen from The Walking Dead and poorly photoshopped, and the only thing that actually worked was the real money shop ingame. And people DEFENDED that piece of shit rather than admitting that they made a fucking mistake in buying into this crap.
>>
>>319611530
They should had deleted everything before bragging like retards.
>>
>>319612563
Oh thank fuck for that. If I had to dig through planets for half a day again just to fucking get back to where I was I might have killed myself. (or just have not bothered)
The thing is.. It is the WORST kind of progression block. It is not difficult in any fucking way to obtain this ore. It is just time consuming as fuck. you're digging and digging and digging just hoping to see the right fucking colour of ore glimmer somewhere and what do you get? like 3-7 of them. When you need what? 80? It's not a fun system. Not at fucking all.

So what about RP servers with cute florans who touch butts?
>>
>>319612032
>digging through 15 planets some ore that is way too fucking rare

It's been a very long time since you've needed to do this. Just go to the appropriate tier of planet and dig down a bit, there's the coloured rock you need. I'm sure you'll also be glad to know between the shitty placeholder fetch quests and pregen dungeon and boss for each tier you've only got to do that shit about 5 times now.
>>
>>319613230
/sbg/ is still around on steam and elsewhere. There is a little butt touching I think and you're right about the tier system. On the brightside (kek), there is an ore seller who can help you skip parts if you're willing to farm for pixels but yeah. Admin cheat your way to the endgame
>>
>>319613751
what ore seller?
>>
>>319613751
I mean it's not like I haven't fucking done it like 5 times already when the thing came out and all it had was the ability to impress fuckers with midi songs.
>>
>>319613905
Don't make me download it again. He moves around but generally second floor of the outpost far right. Look for the human miner looking dude with a lantern on his back
>>
>>319614991
Really? damn.

i never talk to normal nps there
>>
File: kGzMnVG[1].gif (1 MB, 300x382) Image search: [Google]
kGzMnVG[1].gif
1 MB, 300x382
Welp, it's a Starbound thread, which means it will eventually become a Terraria thread.

Anyways, large gems can be used as keys now. Who hype?

Also conveyor belts.
>>
>>319615109
I shit on Terraria's artstyle sometimes but man. I think I just dislike the humanoid sprites. That looked cool as fuck
>>
>>319615109
where do you find them?
>>
>>319615109
That's some fucking chaos emerald type shit.
>>
>>319615109
Neat.
>>
File: 1449206317409.png (37 KB, 683x367) Image search: [Google]
1449206317409.png
37 KB, 683x367
>>319610209
And how long did it take to do all of that?
Jesus Christ Tiy, go develop your shitty game instead of shilling on /v/.
>>
File: keep looking up.jpg (209 KB, 663x543) Image search: [Google]
keep looking up.jpg
209 KB, 663x543
>starbound threads can't just go back to people showing off their silly builds, talking about the [lack of] lore and mourning that the game isn't better
>everyone who doesn't vehemently and loudly hate the game is a shill

just waiting for 1.0 so i can dip my toes into modding again
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.