[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
AMD GPUs are so much cheaper for the same performance on paper.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6
AMD GPUs are so much cheaper for the same performance on paper. Should you still avoid them or have times changed?
>>
Think for yourself.

/v/ shills it, but I got a 970 and it works fine even with 3.5. Get what you want.
>>
>>319569116
Are you playing CPU intense games?
>>
>>319568569
Think for yourself.
Read long time user reviews
Be critical about it and don't listen to 4chan parroting and bandwagoning.
I got a 970 as well but would've picked an AMD if I wasn't dev.
>>
>>319569226

This is a GPU thread not a CPU thread. I have an AMD cpu. No I don't play many cpu intense games. Arma 3 was about as far as I would go and it ran like shit and will always run like shit.

Got a 970 and a 8320 and run GTA V on ultra fine, dipping to around 50 frames, just depends on what happens.
>>
>>319568569
the amount of skill and anatomic knowledge to form something like this out of marble still boggles my mind
>>
>>319569982

It's just a matter of enjoying it enough to spend every waking moment devoted to doing it and improving yourself. Sure, some people have "talent" and take to it a little easier, but even those types of people have to devote ungodly hours to get good at something. Same for any artform.
>>
>>319568569
you should avoid them.
they heat up like crazy, sap a lot of power, and their driver support still sucks.
>>
>>319569982
>implying it isnt a real petrified person cursed by some ancient evil
Please. As if cavemen could make something like this.
>>
>>319570287

A well-made one won't go past 80C under load. You got a point about the power though. I was shocked when I found out the 970 used less power than my 7950. Driver support is questionable. I've heard about people having problems with some games, but I personally never had any problems as far as the performance of AMD cards, and I used them exclusively in the past. If money's no issue definitely go for nvidia, but AMD isn't nearly as bad as some people make them out to be, especially on a budget.
>>
>>319569432
ArmA3 ran better on an Intel CPU for me. More stable framerate, no micro stuttering.
>>
They still have higher temps, higher power draw and have major issues with Nvidia game works games.
That last point however is more than likely due to Nvidia sabotage.
>>
If you care about playing games the minute they are released NVIDIA generally has the edge with driver support. If you're like me and don't get around to playing games until weeks or months after release AMD is great, they've stepped their driver game up a lot.

IMO the 390 is the sweet spot as far as price/performance ratio.
>>
A 390(x) will perform better than a 970 for cheaper or the same price in most all games. It will use more power, but not by much in the grand scheme of things.

Low and mid end AMD can't really be beat for price, for high end the 980ti performs a bit better than a Fury.

In all honesty both cards end up being ultimately very similar. Get whatever's cheaper or whatever you're more comfortable with. Do take note Gameworks games will run like shit on AMD cards for a while because Nvidia intentionally loads those games with pointless bullshit their cards can do and AMD doesn't. Particularly when it comes to tessellation and god rays Nvidia makes them go completely overboard well past the point of being able to see a difference to gimp AMD cards. Fallout is the most recent example of this.
>>
>>319570559

Didn't Medusa exist in real life? Perhaps that's the real explanation.
>>
File: 1342378730919.png (7 KB, 106x103) Image search: [Google]
1342378730919.png
7 KB, 106x103
>>319568569
>same performance as nvidia

no.
>>
>>319568569
The AMD cards tend to have one core focus: Raw Processing Power. That's it. The AMD cards are really powerful when you look at the numbers on paper, but their performance varies significantly depending on what it's running.

For example, even with the GTX 680M having weaker specs than the 7970M, it shits all over the AMD card in Unreal games, and almost anything that has something to do with DirectX. AMD tends to excel a bit better in other areas, usually with OpenGL, but not by significant amounts from what I've seen.

If you're a Linux user, AMD also has a bit better support for the hardware and drivers. Not because they'd offer good drivers, but because AMD's drivers are open-source, which allows the Linux community to tweak them. Nvidia's been strictly propietary on the matter, but has improved their Linux support quite a bit in past two years though.

Finally, Nvidia has a variety of other lil' features that make it a generally pleasant experience. While PhysX is arguably one of them, there's also the better power management. The Nvidia GPUs scale back Memory Clock speeds when conserving power, unlike the AMD's, which don't. They can squeeze out a lot more battery life that way, which is handy especially for laptop users, or if you're worried about your electrical bills.
There's also those newer things like G-sync and driver-side downsampling features. Overall the Nvidia's control panel is much more versatile and even faster than AMD's counterpart.
>>
>>319571976
>posting Project Card
>posting any Gameworks game

Opinion discarded.
>>
>>319571976
>project cars
>comparing mobile gpus

Completely irrelevant
>>
>>319568569

Short on money? Go AMD.

Not short on money? Go Intel and Nvidia.

AMD have weaker stuff but goddamn if they're not cost-effective as fuck.
>>
>>319571368
Even though it uses only 60w or so more than the 970, it releases considerably more heat because the TDP is a LOT higher. So recomending a 970 to people with cases with poor airflow and/or that live in hot areas is not a very good idea.
>>
File: Poorly optimized for AMD Cards.jpg (23 KB, 370x165) Image search: [Google]
Poorly optimized for AMD Cards.jpg
23 KB, 370x165
>>319572176
why would you discard it all because of that thing? Should we suddenly ignore every single game that uses a certain engine too?

>>319572436
No, they really are not completely irrelevant. Mobile GPUs may be below home PC's counterpart's specs, but they do still reflect the time's designs. It was just one example amongst many that I thought I could share out of my experiences.

On my desktop, I still run a single GTX 560ti, and it just works. At 1080p/60fps, it's been doing brilliantly for 4 years now, and I still haven't found a reason to upgrade. Meanwhile, I've witnessed quite a few of my friends with AMD face many issues, ranging from severe performance problems with new titles, to being unable to even launch certain games before AMD released drivers to fix the problem.
>>
>>319568569
AMD will do exactly what you want. You'd never know about the few things they fall short in if you didn't suddenly switch to an intel processor. There's literally no reason not to get one but intel is just plain better and that's the way things are.
>>
File: 1402402802717.jpg (29 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1402402802717.jpg
29 KB, 640x480
>>319571374
>>
>expect sexy marble thread
>get /g/ooks yammering about their nerd shit

you should have been all bullied to death back in high school
>>
>>319572913
Posting a game notorious for Nvidia gimping AMD to the point they weren't allowed to see the source code is just stupid.

Post a game where both companies got equal opportunity to optimize the game rather than Nvidia waving around their money to hurt AMD because they can afford to.
I prefer Nvidia, don't get me wrong, but I'm going to post something that's not blatantly biased to one side's favor and I'd prefer you to do the same.
>>
>>319571976
>If you're a Linux user, AMD also has a bit better support for the hardware and drivers

Biggest fucking bullshit I've heard all day. Jesus christ. AMD support for linux is fucking TERRIBLE.
>>
>>319573238
>AMD support for linux is fucking TERRIBLE.
And Nvidia's support used to be fucking NONEXISTENT before up until very recently. Hell, Linus himself flipped the bird and asked Nvidia to fuck themselves, on a recorded interview, because of this thing.

Maybe because of this, the green team has now improved their game with Linux systems, giving bits and pieces of info to the community and some decent drivers too.
>>
>>319572913

>have R9 270X
>Attila runs like shit
>Just Cause 3 runs like shit
>Fallout 4 runs like shit

I don't know if I have this underdog mentality, but holy shit I hate Nvidia for the shit they pull off.
>>
Just watch a video online.
AMD cards show the game all blurred and shit.
nVidia cards are sharper.
>>
File: sa9e1.png (4 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
sa9e1.png
4 MB, 2560x1440
280x here and happy with my purchase. Got it for like $150 and nothing Nvidia has at that price range can get close to the performance. It has VSR too so it lets me run shit at 1440p acting like a super duper sampling. Running pic related 60fps with a hefty overclock except in certain areas like Corvega/DC which are already reported as being engine related issues.

If you're a poorfag go amd, if not and you don't care about their shitty business practices get an nvidia it really is that simple tbqh

wow forgot how shit this board is won't even let me post an image over 4mb. All my compressed shit is at least 5, guess vg has bigger file size limits
>>
Get a 390
>>
File: 65746465.jpg (6 KB, 158x153) Image search: [Google]
65746465.jpg
6 KB, 158x153
>>319568569
>same performance on paper
>on paper

Beause they are paper weights.
>>
>>319573706
FO4 and JC3 run like shit for everybody at the moment. AMD just has it worse.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.