[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>EA acquires company >WAHHH EA KILLED ______ No, the owners
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7
File: hqdefault.jpg (8 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8 KB, 480x360
>EA acquires company
>WAHHH EA KILLED ______

No, the owners killed it, they could have refused to sell it but they didn't. EA didn't put a gun to anyone's head.
>>
>>319565038
Who are you quoting?
>>
>what is a hostile takeover

Hello underage
>>
>low income developers who put all their soul into projects
>get an offer that lets them not only make more games without worrying about money but also lets them live out the rest of their lives in relative comfort
I'd like to see you refuse that kind of offer faggot OP
>>
>>319565038
>EA didnt put a gun to anyones head
>Offers them a ton more money than they make independently
>offers them a ton more resources
>In exchange for rights

i mean they don't expect to get fucked but EA does fuck them.
>>
File: 1395632730259.gif (3 MB, 512x288) Image search: [Google]
1395632730259.gif
3 MB, 512x288
>>319565038
>EA didn't put a gun to anyone's head.
>>
>>319565038
When EA became the publisher they pretty much had a gun put in the dev's mouth.
Here's a short story:
Some time ago, a dev was forced to censor his game despite him not wanting. He tried to fight back, but couldn't do anything. He was stuck due to contract. So the game ended being censored. The end.
>>
>>319565038
Because the programmers and artists who make the games are in charge of company ownership right?
>>
File: 1446405369777.jpg (193 KB, 1024x1300) Image search: [Google]
1446405369777.jpg
193 KB, 1024x1300
>>319565038
If I owned a popular game company and was offered to sell it out for a shit ton of money, I'd do it. I'm also willing to bet everyone fucker on this board would do it too
>>
>>319565038
>they could have refused to sell it
nope.
>>
>>319567396
And then just die anyways
>>
>>319565370
>>319567349
If I had a good fanbase, I would tell them to fuck off just to spite them.
>>
>>319567396
>free market
>Can't refuse to sell
how deluded are you?
>>
>>319565038
>No, the owners killed it, they could have refused to sell it but they didn't. EA didn't put a gun to anyone's head.
whynotboth.jpg

you have a good point however, too many people can't resist the temptation of the shekel and give into the jews too easily.
>>
can I get a (you) ?
>>
>>319567635
Doesn't quite work like that when it comes to shares in a company. EA just need to buy enough of a studio before the rest starts falling into their lap a lot easier.
>>
>>319567802
>>
>>319567585
Sure thing, sure thing.
>>
>>319565262

Literally no such thing. It is ultimately your decision on whether or not you go public with your company and all the risks that entails.
>>
>>319565523
>i mean they don't expect to get fucked but EA does fuck them.

Except if they have a job in the industry they're probably well aware of what happens to studios who get bought by EA. It isn't exactly a secret.

They do know, they just don't care.
>>
>>319567819

>Sell more than 51% of your company to complete strangers.
>surprised when you lose control of your company.

EA IS EVIL.
>>
>>319567926
How are companies supposed to get all the money it requires to make a decent game without going public?
>>
>>319565523
>Implying Pop Cap wasn't already doing just fine in the vidya market
>>
>>319568063

Private equity firms.
>>
>>319567585
Good luck anon.
>>
>>319568063
the same way spacex got their money to do business while being private.

be good at what you do and don't be a retard.

hello underage.
>>
>>319565038
actually publishers tried to bully independent studios in submission all the time while they existed
read about Prey 2 fuck-up
>>
File: HAHA.gif (905 KB, 431x323) Image search: [Google]
HAHA.gif
905 KB, 431x323
>>319565038
EA still employs damage control marketers after all the bullshit they're known to factually do?
>>
>>319568063
At least 50% of the budget AAA companies have goes into advertising. Needing a huge budget to make a good game is a dirty myth.
>>
File: 1443745799561.jpg (34 KB, 317x432) Image search: [Google]
1443745799561.jpg
34 KB, 317x432
>retards blame EA for the closure of their beloved studio when the studio itself made terrible mismanagement and terrible planning
>Westwood spent millions of dollars on a MMO which never say the light of day and surprised they got closed
>>
>>319568271
probably
don't think any of them knows about anonymous board for shut-ins
>>
>>319568063

That changes nothing. It was still their decision to raise money in a way that put them at risk of losing their company. There are many ways to raise funds without going public -- most notably Valve released Half Life, Counter Strike, and Team Fortress all before Steam came out.
>>
>>319565038
You have no idea how little control developers have in such matters.
Share holders have more control in what happens to a product than the actual creative team.
>>
>>319567585
And that's why you are not successful in life
>>
>>319567751
Anon you are offered more money than what you see your product could earn on it's own
It's just an entertainment good and holds no value beyond that

you call it greed and shit but really it's just smart.
You made a profit can rest easy.
Then again I wager you are not paying for your own living and have some retarded logic thanks to sucking off either family or government
>>
>>319568623

Considering the creative team are either a) the founders who sold out to share holders, or b) hired employees who put none of their own money into the project, I don't see why the creative team's opinion matters. The company owner is the one who screwed them over not EA.
>>
File: mad calvin.gif (28 KB, 368x327) Image search: [Google]
mad calvin.gif
28 KB, 368x327
I get enough of this shit from beer.

>ballast point finally available where I live
>gets bought by constellation brands for a billion dollars
>>
>>319568023
>what are investors
>what are shareholders
>what are potential dividends
>Im a giant faggot please rape my face
>>
>>319568356
Keep telling yourself that. Maybe someone will actually believe it once they finally stop coming here.
>>
>>319569059
>everything that you ever like will someday get homogenised into one of three big companies that make that product
>>
>>319569019
>a) the founders who sold out to share holders
That rarely ever happens
Even Bioware founded by Doctors was back by other peoples money.

> I don't see why the creative team's opinion matters
My point is the people who would pause to being own by a new publisher rarely have the power to object.
>>
>>319569059
Get used to that; in the pst 20 years the alcohol industry has been completely cannibalized. Brown-Foreman is a juggernaut with a similar strategy to EA - buy a successful brand of booze then squeeze every nickel and dime out of it regardless of quality. Just look at their flagship product, Jim Beam. It's fucking horrible now, bargain bin level, whereas it used to be quite good.
>>
>>319568998
>Anon you are offered more money than what you see your product could earn on it's own
source that this actually happened when EA offered money?

>It's just an entertainment good and holds no value beyond that
>yessss goyim, your games are USELESS, sell me the rights to them instead
right, keep going bud.

>you call it greed and shit but really it's just smart.
>You made a profit can rest easy.
>Then again I wager you are not paying for your own living and have some retarded logic thanks to sucking off either family or government
yessss good goyim, live the rest of your life living the good life hehe. don't bother looking at what we're doing and just relax hehe.

how about your lazy nigger ass fucks off?
>>
>>319569317
That's how films and music went
And it will be even worse with games because it's not protected like other entertainment art forms
>>
>i sell a litter of 10 puppies
>the buyer drowns em all in a river
>its my fault

Yeah, no.
>>
>>319565038

This.
Reminder that Bioware only became shit because they wanted the casual dough.
>>
>>319569497
it partially is your fault though.

but it's mostly theirs.

when the stakes are high, everything becomes a shared fault and you do everything in your power to prevent the worst.
>>
>>319568345
What about poor Maxis, you little shit?
>>
>>319569497
Depends, does that person have a history of drowning animals?
>>
>>319567585
Alright, imagine if a huge company came up to you and said

>We'll let you make all the games you've been making, and we'll give you loads more money than you're making now.

And they do it. You get to make the games you've been making and you're paid loads more than before. It's great. It's what you and everyone you worked with wanted.

Now cut to a few years down the line. Your team's been absorbed into some other one and now they're using your company name for their latest DRM software.

>well at least nobody ever held a gun to my head
>>
>>319569059
Ballast Point is swill anyway. Plebs buy it because they think overloading their with palates hops makes them hardened connoisseurs.
>>
>>319565038
EA usually keeps the games alive, companies that get bought out by ea are usually hemorrhaging sinking money ships, if anything EA keep the husks alive for abit longer on life support
>>
>>319569497
Why would you sell a litter of 10 puppies to one person? Don't you find that a little suspicious?
>>
>>319569061

>Can't refute anything I said.

If you don't want to be bought out, don't go public, and if you do go public, do it on terms that don't lose you control of your company.

>>319569331

But their opinions do not matter. They didn't put their own money into the games, in fact they were given money to work on them. They were perfectly free to start their own game company as many developers have done in the past.
>>
>>319569497
Sure, if I give a gun to crazy person who goes off and murders a bunch of people I am not accountable at all! Take that to the courts for a laugh.
>>
>>319570346
But the sellers aren't accountable if they were sold legitimately. With all the school shooting news stories over the years, I've never heard any blame put on whatever stores the guns were originally purchased from
>>
>>319569497

Yes, actually. You could have included a clause stating that damaging the puppies would incur a fine of 10 million dollars or some such. He might have drowned them anyway, but your carelessness put those puppies in danger.
>>
>>319569621
They were never good
>>
>>319565038
>No, the owners killed it
Except it is always EA that pulls the trigger and decideds to do so.
You can´t fault for people to want to transcend material needs forever, by taking EA money.
They can always make a new company with the money they get from EA.

EA is to blam for meddling in things the board of directors has no knowledge of, and the consumer is to blame for still buying games from developer X after being acquired by EA.
blam is no typo.

Look at Vivendi, they don´t involve themselves in the affairs of actual game making of their devs to the point where most people are hard pressed to even answer who they are.
>>
>>319568198
Well, excuse the developers for not having a business degree or dat Elon Musk swag. It's not like they're busy programming and developing their game.

EA has the business nerds, the dev has the game nerds. Lets the nerds do what they must.
>>
>>319565038
EA killing companies happened really gradually

it wasn't some immediate thing like SURPRISE COMPANY RUINED HAHAHAHA

most studios had no idea
>>
Ultimately the devs are the ones that chose to sell to a company they know has a history of ruining and killing studios so they do deserve some blame.

At the same time it wouldn't even be a problem if EA were just, you know, competent and not evil. They shouldn't even be putting people in a place where they have to choose between their company or tons of money.
>>
>>319570753
>You can´t fault for people to want to transcend material needs forever, by taking EA money.
you can actually, and this is why it's both the owners AND EA's fault.

all it takes for the jews to win is for good goyim to sell.

>They can always make a new company with the money they get from EA.
many of them don't
>>
>>319570943
>Well, excuse the developers for not having a business degree or dat Elon Musk swag. It's not like they're busy programming and developing their game.
so now you've realized that the devs share part of the blame, good to know.

>EA has the business nerds, the dev has the game nerds. Lets the nerds do what they must.
nice try kike.
>>
>>319570724
>simisle
>simsafari
>sim city
>bad
Kill yourself.
>>
>>319571701
>casual facebook "sims"
>good
>>
>>319569331
To this day, I am convinced the founders of Bioware abandoned their studio out of shame.

They cultivated a critically and commercially successful stable of IPs with millions of adoring fans, and then sold themselves to EA on the eve of Dragon Age's release.

Regardless of your opinion on Dragon Age and Mass Effect, none can deny the sharp change in quality and design after EA's acquisition.

By 2012, the year of Mass Effect 3's release and only three years after Bioware became an EA property, both founders retired. This smacks of an expired contract and an opportunity to slip legally out of a company that now relied on aggressive marketing to general audiences and the fumes of diehard, retarded fans rather than a compelling product.

They probably thought it would be the right thing to do. They probably thought it would give them more resources. They probably thought, having ME out the door and DA mostly complete (both games selling several million copies) that they could continue doing what they loved without much corporate meddling.

They were mistaken.

They have now removed themselves completely from video games. Is it a coincidence?
>>
One million replies
>>
>>319571701
"2. You will immediately cease and not continue to access the site if you are under the age of 18."
>>
EA did nothing wrong you fucking idiots.
Is it EA's fault that the company isn't profitable? Is it EA's fault that the games the companies put out don't sell? It's basically a mercy kill at this point once the patience for constant failures run out. And it isn't even a kill, that's way big of a word to be used lightly, the companies are just merged to the existing one, so no one's losing on it at the end of the day.
Things like this wouldn't happen if the developers knew how to make a good product.
>>
File: history of EA.png (226 KB, 1915x928) Image search: [Google]
history of EA.png
226 KB, 1915x928
>It's EA ``````public image improvement'''''' thread
>>
>>319572605
Funny, that's probably what EA actually believes.
>>
>>319572090
>Regardless of your opinion on Dragon Age and Mass Effect, none can deny the sharp change in quality and design after EA's acquisition.

I'll give you Dragon Age but Mass Effect?

Come on, the first game's combat was ludicrously terrible and that Mako stuff was some of the worst padding we saw in the entire generation.
>>
>>319572090
>Dragon Age: Origins was one of the most RPG of RPGs to come out in a really long time
>its sequels are both jokes and the company is now more interested in making an accessible game with as many LGBT characters as they can fit
rip bioware
>>
>>319570602
>You could have included a clause stating that damaging the puppies would incur a fine of 10 million dollars

Nigga drowning puppies is already illegal, the contract would be laughed at by anyone.

Shitty analogy aside, EA doesn't have to abide by the seller's contract, they bought the company and they own it, they can do whatever they want with it as long as it's within legal boundaries. A seller doesn't get to decide what the buyer does with his property.
>>
>>319568539
Valve is a private company which was founded by Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington who had silly amounts of money from senior positions at Microsoft. They are the exception not the rule.
>>
>>319572605
>company was doing fine
>good goyim owners cash out and nowhere to be found
>EA runs the company to the ground
>company sucks
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
>>
>>319574510
>Gabe Newell and Mike Harrington who had silly amounts of money from senior positions at Microsoft.

Meaning that developers should follow their model and put some hard work in to raise capital if they want complete creative control. Again, if it's not your money then your opinion doesn't matter.
>>
>>319565038
>EA didn't put a gun to anyone's head.
but they literally did this you idiot
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.