[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that Fallout
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 24
File: todd.jpg (20 KB, 568x353) Image search: [Google]
todd.jpg
20 KB, 568x353
Now that the dust has settled, can we all agree that Fallout 4 was underwhelming?
>>
Only if you expected and attempt to play it as a roleplaying game.
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 250x250) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 250x250
>>319551695
Was there any doubt?
>>
>>319551695

Depends why you were playing it. The dialogue and factions were better than NV, and better developed. The gunplay was a distinct improvement, and the storyline was leaps and bounds ahead of FO3. About on par with NV, though that didn't feel...fantastic enough.

The settlement building isn't great though. I get the feeling there's a hearthfire on the horizon...
>>
>>319551858

Not much of that to do in NV, once you know that your character is a courier, and has been a courier for many years.
>>
>>319554914
>The dialogue and factions were better than NV

I thought NV was fucking shit, and even I know that's not true.
>>
Power Armor feels more distinctive, the city is dense as fuck, shooting feels much better, visual effects are much improved, and they've gotten better quality voice actors.

It's pretty sub-par as a RPG though, with companions having inconsistent interaction or just completely missing interactions where that it would make sense for them to have. The predetermined backstory and limited ways to respond in dialogue are really gonna hurt the game's replay value.
>>
>>319551695
Yes.
But on the flip side, it made me realize how important things like skills, dialogue and choice are in an RPG.
Well, Fallout 4 is barely an RPG, but still, you get what I mean
>>
>>319555028
b8
>>
>>319554914
>Dialogue and factions better than NV.
It's not opposite day.
>>
>>319551695
>game isn't even a month old
>dust has settled
The dust still hasn't settled for much older shit. Leave.
>>
This thread again, huh?

Game was fun, get over it.
>>
>>319555901
Power Armor feels distinctive, but the fact that Power Armor is littered across the wasteland really cheapens the whole experience. Also fusion cores are a poorly executed mechanic, I never came close to running out of them
>>
Even Bethesda fanboys knew it was underwhelmingly shitty.

They just played it because they are fucking idiots.
>>
>>319556130
Fun doesn't mean a good game.
Fun just means you are able to do stupid shit that you can do in any other game.
>>
>>319555603

I quite liked NV, but it couldn't decide if it was fucking wild-west themed, vegas-themed, or NCR the simulator. Bit of a mess, and a lot of the game reflects that.

>>319556008

Not really. It's revealed to be canonically true in LR.

>>319556010

Of the NCR and the Legion, the two main factions, you could join one. The BoS? Can't join them. Boomers? Nope. Great Khans? Nope.
>>
File: 1432656223866.jpg (316 KB, 1000x662) Image search: [Google]
1432656223866.jpg
316 KB, 1000x662
>>319551695

yep

Bethesda might be loosing their touch, the game is just kind of middling for most people. Casuals who are way into settlement building want more settlement building elements, newfag casual casuals can't even get past the radroaches inside vault 111 (check the article in the LA times about it kek). People who want an RPG want a skills system, people who want DayZ: Fallout want multiplayer as well as a larger map (the starting era in particular has fucking nothing in it).

The only people who truly think Fo4 is amazing are the handful of kids who have never played Fallout 3 (or any Fallout game), Minecraft or DayZ before.

All in all, people who play it past 20 hours just get bored with it. It prints money though.

pic unrelated
>>
File: 65Yluk3.png (331 KB, 1334x559) Image search: [Google]
65Yluk3.png
331 KB, 1334x559
>>319551695

Daily reminder.
>>
>Ghoul problem at Sanctuary hill
>mfw I am at Sanctuary Hill
>Talk to the bitch whose name I can't remember
>So you are with the minutemen
Fuck off Todd
>>
>>319556754

>he parrots the dialogue for radiant quests he sees memed on /v/
>thinks it's a criticism

I'd listen if you had anything to say. You could criticise the quest trees, perhaps? or the under-developed settlement building fluff?

Either way, still better than NV. Goddamn, that was shite without mods.
>>
>>319556146
Yeah, frames with half or full sets of armor are too common. It would have worked better with pieces of armor being rare loot with a limited number of frames. Especially T-51, X-01 and T45 since there's limited numbers that can spawn in game. I don't know how to feel about fusion cores. Having them too limited would stop people from being able to use the Gatling Laser or power armor all the time.

>>319556352
You can totally join the BoS, Boomers and Great Khans. They don't have their own dedicated end states, but they can prosper in some of the endings.
>>
>>319551695

I thought it was fun for 40 hours.

Now I think it's boring and I can't be bothered to play it.

So yes, it was underwhelming. It has so much hand holding that I feel like Bethesda is treating me like a child when interacting with stuff. That's not a good sign.
>>
>>319557040

I realize you're trying to bait but fallout 4 isn't even better than vanilla fallout 3. Fo4 out of the box has less to do than even casual games like minecraft (which has multiplayer)
>>
>>319557040
Are you really stupid? Or merely pretending?
>>
>>319557105
>You can totally join the BoS, Boomers and Great Khans.

You cannot. You can choose not to kill them, or "ally" yourself with them, but it means so little that you might as well not bother. You don't get anything much from it, and it all feels so massively empty.

As for the legion? What a joke. Occupying a fort on the edge of the map, while the game pushes you to become a good little NCR shill.
>>
>>319557252

>FO3

No, because that was trash without mods.
>less to do than minecraft

You'll do anything to be contrary, I guess.

>>319557287

>ask you to criticise something useful
>you cry at me

go away, then.
>>
>>319557201

it's because of these people:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/herocomplex/la-et-hc-theplayer-fallout-20151112-story.html

>I had been killed by giant cockroaches, reckless thieves and a super mutant when I realized my mistake. It was my 10th hour into "Fallout 4," and I had overlooked a leveling-up component critical to advancing in the game. This created a dilemma: Start over, power through or forgo it altogether?

>Ten hours may equate to nearly five nights' worth of gaming, but in the world of "Fallout 4" it's a fraction of a fraction toward completion of the primary story. I've only recently, for instance, reached the game's first major city, which was the first moment I started to warm to "Fallout 4."

>Achieving this milestone happened purely by accident. The two-headed deer was one of the only creatures who spared me as I suffered dozens of deaths.

>"Fallout 4" is brutally difficult. I think I will always be bad at it.

>Though the game will be hailed as the year's best by many critics, I already miss my time with "Rise of the Tomb Raider," which I started, played and completed during my week with "Fallout 4." I miss the ease with which Lara Croft traversed ruins, and I miss the relative svelte nature of its story.

>Exploring "Fallout 4" isn't just difficult; it's cumbersome. To merely step outside Diamond City — the safe confines of the old Fenway Park — means my character will perish in minutes. All that attention to detail, all that care to craft, then a zombie-like creature can erase it because switching among guns, health-packs and other weapons in "Fallout" is a chore.
>>
>>319556552
>Double the amount of user ratings, most of which are butt hurt little NV lovers giving low score because they cant run the game.

Yep sure looks like f4 lost.
>>
>>319557040

See >>319556552
>>
>>319557398
>Can't even build a rudimentary quest effectively
>Thinks I should criticize something actually useful

Lmao. Why should I? Todd can't even code a simple radiant quest without making the game look like a joke?
>>
Oblivion was shit
Fallout 3 was shit
Skyrim was shit
Fallout 4 was shit

Nope pretty much what I expected. To be underwhelmed I would have to have some kind of expectation that isn't absolute dogshit.
>>
>>319557467

>Fallout 4 has been out for a month.
>NV has been out for 3 years, thought 4 DLC packages.

Doesn't tell me much, i'm afraid. We'll see how FO4 does when it's been out for years and costs 5 dollars.
>>
>>319557201
I'm mad that it holds your hand all the game except in the settlement building, nowhere it says how to make the damn lights work and things like that
>>
>>319557421

>I still haven't made complete sense of the game's inventory screen. My character is carrying a dozen-plus guns, a few odd lamps, some bottle caps, a subway token, a plastic spoon and a dozen or so wardrobe changes.

>And then there's that mistake I caught at hour 10: I hadn't been leveling-up my character properly, stupidly failing to notice that character traits could be applied vertically as well as horizontally.

>Would it have made a difference against that pack of ghouls, which are "Fallout 4's" versions of zombies? Probably not. But I've been incorrectly molding my character, and progress was lost.
>>
>>319557429

>He doesn't understand the image

Are there really people in a fallout thread who don't remember the bonus debacle?
>>
>there are people that expected that FO4 was not gonna be on the same level of quality as FO3
>>
>>319557567

Are you one of the mouthbreathers from NMA, son? Because they're the only people that whack off this hard to New Vegas on /v/
>>
>>319551695
Calling F4 underwhelming would be a severe understatement.
>>
>>319557606

It tells you Toddler didn't get bonus.
>>
>>319557668
>MY MEME IS SO COOL GUISE

>WHY IS NOONE NOTICE MY MEMEZ
>>
>>319557626

That's in the help menu, m8. Tell you all about it, though there isn't much to know, unfortunately.
>>
>>319557421

It seems like these people exclusively use VATS and are incapable of even handling RE4 inventory system.

I'm all for simplifying UI to make things go smoother, but taking out depth because people can't be bothered to learn simple things is just sad.
>>
>>319557771

Christ, Todd. Relax. There will be other games and other bonuses.

Y-you didn't get in deep with the wrong people did you?
>>
>>319557709
New vegas was also shit because it was based on a fundamentally broken core of a game.
And you have no right to call anyone a mouth-breather while defending bethesda games

We are talking about the second lowest casual common denominator after minecraft here.
>>
>>319557754

I don't give a fuck about whatever you're referencing here, cool kid.

Though:

>fallout 4
>5736 ratings

>New Vegas
>2378

Fallout 4 has nearly double the userbase on metacritic.
>>
>>319557771
It's stupid fucking nigger shit like this that makes me want to stop coming here
>>
>>319557879

>second lowest casual common denominator

Jesus, what a snob. Play skyrim with requiem hardcore and hypothermia survival mods then we'll talk.
>>
>>319557918

Zenimax screwed over obsidian because NV didn't get a 85 metacritic score.

A score FO4 has also failed to achieve.

POTTERY
>>
So wait, the roleplaying elements in this game are poor? Like how poor? I can deal with a predefined protag but how can you be your own person? Even Skyrim and was a legit for roleplaying.
>>
>>319558046
Why would I? Play cat mario.

Difficulty is not an argument especially when it comes to quality
You are beyond retarded.
>>
>>319558105

I told you I didn't give a fuck. I still don't.
>>
>>319556252
Yes it does.
"Fun" equates to entertainment, which is the purpose of a video game console, an entertainment system. If a game is fun throughout it is objectively good.

If you don't know the definition of "fun" don't vomit it out as if you do.
>>
>>319558231

>Difficulty is not an argument especially when it comes to quality

>cries about casuals

then what IS an argument?
>>
File: toddiavolo.png (282 KB, 658x659) Image search: [Google]
toddiavolo.png
282 KB, 658x659
It definitely worked out for Todd in the end.
>>
>>319557849

what battles me isn't that he's a casual, it's that he's a videogame writer for the LA times. He apparently plays exclusively madden and racing games
>>
>>319555028
Nope

You can argue Lonesome Road, but your character can claim that Ulysses is lying or mistaken. Ulysses is written to be an unreliable character so whether or not that stuff actually happened is up to you.
>>
>>319558382

Yet /v/ has probably boosted his metric sway beyond anything that any decent amateur review site would ever get from them.
>>
>>319558232

>I told you

Struggling with the concept of an anonymous imageboard there champ?

Was just correcting your "muh user reviews" strawman. It's just a reference to the bonus thing not the heinous attack on FO4 you seem to think it needs defended from.
>>
>>319558232
Why so salty Todd? You already have your money.
>>
>>319558324
Quality.
>>
>>319558441

Then by that rationale, the backstory in Fallout 4 is a subconscious memory planted in the mind of the protagonist by vault-tec to see how a stable and loving family man might respond to nuclear annihilation, and played upon by the institute, who found the files pertaining to that experiment.
>>
>>319558572

>quality

objective as fuck there, m8.
>>
>>319558749
as opposed to difficulty? you are right.

With every post you are getting more retarded.
I am actually curious how low you can get now.
>>
>>319558640
That's not comparable at all

You aren't actually shown what happened before in New Vegas and you have dialogue options to challenge his claims, which imply that he may be mistaken. In Fallout 4 you literally play as a dad during the pre-war segment and there's never even a hint that it's a "subconscious memory planted in the mind of the protagonist"
>>
>>319558875

No, i'm telling you that "quality" is not objective. People might view that as high production values, which makes the CoD games quality. people might view it as just the opposite. Do you see?
>>
>>319558946

>willing to roleplay
>worried about canon

pick one.
>>
File: f4 dialogue.jpg (351 KB, 1440x900) Image search: [Google]
f4 dialogue.jpg
351 KB, 1440x900
>>319555028
That's not all that's required for roleplaying, it's just Fallout 4 fails on every conceivable level of roleplaying imaginable. Poor at character backstory choice, poor character building, Stats and other rpg mechanics completely stripped so it can be an action game, quests are linear as fuck, dialogue is terrible and gives little chance to set your character apart, etc.
>>
File: 1444635420881.jpg (130 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1444635420881.jpg
130 KB, 720x960
>>319551695
I can't even force myself to finish it. I've played this game twice already, franchise fatigue is the plague of neo vidya.
>>
>>319559018
You are literally contradicting yourself in your own post now.
Unless that not is not supposed to be there.
>>
File: Cherry_picking_med.jpg (99 KB, 500x371) Image search: [Google]
Cherry_picking_med.jpg
99 KB, 500x371
>>319559130
>>
File: f4 dialogue 2.jpg (150 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
f4 dialogue 2.jpg
150 KB, 1920x1080
>>319559430
Here, have another. If you think all the dialogue isn't like this then you haven't played the fucking game.
>>
It's definitely the best in the series. I couldn't get into the older ones because I couldn't connect with my character, but voice acting has solved this. Not perfect, but the best for me personally
>>
>>319556523
thanks for pointing me to that LA times piece.

>Half a day should be enough time to devote to any pop-culture artifact and render some sort of verdict, but not with "Fallout 4." It still feels as if I've opened a board game for the first time, and before me lies the virtual equivalent of hundreds of tiny plastic pieces and the overwhelming dread that mastery won't come easy.

>And then there's that mistake I caught at hour 10: I hadn't been leveling-up my character properly, stupidly failing to notice that character traits could be applied vertically as well as horizontally.

KEK
>>
>>319559275

>You are literally contradicting yourself in your own post now.

Point it out, then.
>>
>>319559130

Well said. Improving shooting mechanics a bit doesn't compensate for the loss of RPG elements, which we're the main focus of the series.

Even though the ruins and the world are impressive, everything else is incredibly shallow because of this.
>>
>>319558382
Fuck me sign me up for such a cozy job if the only experience you need is to play casual fag games
>>
>>319559130

>Cherry picking and subjective nonsense.

Calling something "poor" means nothing. You're just crying about it at this point.

Personally, i'm playing a character who owns a hotel on spectacle island with piper, and fixes up power armour on the side with the atom cats for an undersea exploration station he's built up.

Sorry that you have no imagination.
>>
>>319560050
>dying of cancer is fun if you just imagine you are super hero
>I am sorry you don't have any imagination
>>
I was actually pleasantly surprised

I thought it would be dogshit but it was actually quite good

the rpg elements are total shit but at least the gameplay is quite good
>>
MGSV was underwhelming

Fallout 4 is just straight up bad. It's only really big improvement is the graphics, which still aren't good, and the gunplay, but even that is still mediocre at best and shots hardly even register thanks to this shitty engine they're still fucking using. In every other aspect the game has essentially shit all over itself and everything NV tried to do to salvage Bethesda's take on Fallout
>>
>>319560050

Not the same guy, but just because you can play Minecraft in a Fallout world on your personal island doesn't mean that everything else about the game is fixed.

Most nice quests turn into shallow ones because you are tied up with preset choices, you can't negotiate with anyone and so on. Most people are put off by this. And you can't fix it just by imagining shit.

That's like saying that pong is an amazing fantasy adventure if you just imagine it so.
>>
File: oh_m8_ur_hilarious.jpg (13 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
oh_m8_ur_hilarious.jpg
13 KB, 480x360
>>319556523
>look up LA times article
>"Fallout 4" is brutally difficult. I think I will always be bad at it.
>>
>>319560524

Of all the responses you COULD have made, you went with this.

Once more, i'm really sorry that you need a spreadsheet of skillpoints to allow you to roleplay in a videogame, and that when you don't you start screaming about cancer and how the game is objectively bad because you don't like it.

I really do feel sorry for you, but some of us aren't so retarded.
>>
It's hard to even consider the game an RPG anymore. It's more like a sanbox borderlands type game.
>>
>>319560759
I don't give a single shit about spreadshits of skillpoints not sure what you are talking about.

Just pointing out that your argument is so universal and bland it can be said about anything

any game is perfect
No game has flaws

Just imagine they are not there.
>>
>>319551695
The map was better then nv
The collectibles were better the nv
The amount of weapons available was underwhelming compared to nv
The perks ranged from stupidly broken to literally useless
The modding was better then nv but they went and made it a necessity which makes it less appealing.
Factions kinda sucked
Only one good faction mission in all the faction lines which is how each faction disposes of the BoS so that little difference makes it better then nv's copy paste faction missions
Ammo is horribly plentiful
Enemies can spam gernades which is annoying
Ghouls are over used
Radiation damage is annoying.
It's a great shooter.
Companions are better then nv and 3 but the whole fact they comment on literally everything you do makes them annoying as fuck.
Settlement building system needs improvements if they ever plan to do it again
Missions are more colorful then nv and 3 but the outcomes ruin the whole quest.
Voice acting has it's moments but for the most part it sounds like they sat the two in a studio and feed them lines so the characters voices don't always match the situation.

Over all it was pretty good but not what i expected when Bethesda announced it.
Great shooter, horrible rpg.
>>
>>319551695
Only if you were dumb enough to jump on the "hype train." I went into it with zero expectations so I'm enjoying it. Its obvious they ran it through the same causal filter they ran Skyrim through, but Skyrim was enjoyable enough playing vanilla. Mods gave me everything else I wanted.
>>
File: 2015-12-02 23_39_32-.png (254 KB, 690x895) Image search: [Google]
2015-12-02 23_39_32-.png
254 KB, 690x895
DEAR TODD
JUST MAKE FALLOUT 4 GOOD PLEASE CANCER WORKS Thank YOU FOR ROLSTON UNDERSTANDING RETCONS PREORDER THE reddit DLC SHIT BIG DANK MEMES BEWARE gulag DEATHCLAWS THANKS ANUS AND IT STEAMY WONT KEKOLD HE NEWSPAPER BLACK ITJUSTWORKS WATERMELON HATE NEWSPAPER COCKS YOUR'RE memes S BLACKS SPEARS TELL MENNNYEEEESSS FUCK ANYTHING VAGRANT SEE CASUALS FAGGOT FATHER YES NEWVEGASISBETTER ps2 textures FILLED AYY
Yours sincerely,
JETISNOTPREWARREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE TODD MOTHERFUCKER'S PS CLIMB DIE FROGPOST REDDIT MOUNTAINCLIMBERS IS BETTER LIE RADIANT REMAKE WHEN FAMILY (X) HATE MEMEGAME PAGLIARULO hate newspaper SUCKS SHAKINGMYHEADTOBEHONESTFAMILY WE TODD FUCK PATROLLING AFRICAN NIGGER-CAMPS DESIGNATED SHITTING ISIS OBSIDIAN HAS OBSIDIAN STREETS NO NEWVEGAS SUPPORT LIES ayy ELDER SCROLLS VI HATE MEMES AUTISTIC JET KILL MUTIES LORE CUNTS SPARKLES EBAUMSWORLD SENPAI TOP WE IT FAGS KINGZ JUST JET IS NOT PREWAR YOU FUCKING RETARD MANLET PATCH SEVEN MY COCK WAGON LAMPLIGHT WOOD-CHIPPERS CUM FLUTTERSHY IS SHIT NIGGER ALSO JUST NORA BLACKED THE AINT MUSICAL SHOW SON SMHTBHFAM [FAILURE] GAS OUTWARDS FAMALAM JEWS WOAH SUPERCALIFRAGELISTICEXPIALIDOUCIOS NUDE MODS REMOVE NEWSPAPERS lore KHAAAAAAAAAAAAN HYPOTHETICALLY HAS MOUNTAINS CUMMING
And further more, NON-SEXUALLY SHAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN RETCON
*SMACK LIPS*
Dear Todd,
We love Fallout 4.
Lovingly,
/v/ TUNNEL SNAKES RULE BESTPONY MEME GAME GUARANTEED AltaVista
>>
>>319560668

Well, we were talking about roleplaying, so that stuff isn't exactly relevant, but..

Being able to build settlements up as you choose is pretty useful to roleplaying, no matter how horribly limited it is right now.

I agree on the quests, though you can negotiate with people plenty, if you choose to. I've talked my way out of plenty of encounters, and talked my way around plenty of the questlines. It IS pretty limited, but not half as bad as crybabies make out.

>>319560893

We were talking about roleplaying. Now you wanna move the goalposts? It's like you won't admit a single positive point about the game in case your house of cards comes tumbling down.
>>
>>319560050
Nothing you described has anything to do with actual, mechanical roleplaying. You're doing nothing more than playing pretend, which you can do in any game. Your imagination doesn't excuse poor quest design or overall lack of agency or character development.
>>
>>319560934
>The map was better then nv

It has like two non-custom settlements and one of them is small and boring as fuck despite being called dangerous
>>
>>319561062
>Nothing you described has anything to do with actual, mechanical roleplaying.

Except that settlement shit I just talked about, eh?
>>
>>319561048
>>We were talking about roleplaying.
I wasn't.

I just saw your ABSOLUTELY retarded argument and had to reply. It was almost shining so retarded are you.

Say more stuff. I am a sucker for idiots who make me feel better about myself.
>>
>>319561062

>character development
>bethesda game

has this ever been a thing, btw?
>>
>>319561124
Nv had a few half decent settlements.
One was freeside which they pulled off really well and the other was the boomers area.
Most of new vegas' settlements were 3
4-5 houses with nothing to do.
>>
>>319561265
It was pretty fucking huge back in Morrowind, actually.
>>
>>319561209

>absolutely retarded argument

No, i'm happy to admit the faults the game has, while also examining the negatives as I see fit.

You're not. Kind of makes me wonder if you aren't just here to whine about it.
>>
>>319558257
>If a game is fun throughout it is objectively good.
You can't measure what is fun or not, its an opinion. Objectively is the last thing to describe it as you fucking idiot Bethesda fanboy.
>>
File: Xenoblade Chronicles X.jpg (113 KB, 1193x496) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade Chronicles X.jpg
113 KB, 1193x496
Bethesda's time is over.
>>
>>319561336

Unless you didn't want to be the Nerevarine. Don't know, actually, i'm being glib. But I didn't like morrowind, so.
>>
>>319561380
At least Bethesda didn't censor their game
>>
>>319561348
I am not whining.

I am still having fun with fallout 4
First few hours are always fun in bethesda games.
>>
>>319561479

censor?
>>
>>319561315
Camp McCarran had more content than virtually every location in 4
>>
>>319561173
Really, anon? The game makes no distinction between settlements once they become player-owned outside of a select few. Covenant is no different than Sanctuary Hills, mechanically, once you get your hands on it.
>>
>>319551695
If by underwhelming you mean shit, sure.
>>
File: Nintendrone defense.webm (3 MB, 854x576) Image search: [Google]
Nintendrone defense.webm
3 MB, 854x576
>>319561551
Yes, taking someone's game and covering it up to appeal is indeed censorship
>>
>>319561523

So what exactly is your problem with it? What made the roleplaying in...say, NV better than 4?

>>319561589

>The game makes no distinction

Surely it's up to the player to make them distinctive?
>>
>>319559597
I don't understand people like you.
>>
File: 1446054101487.gif (3 MB, 300x252) Image search: [Google]
1446054101487.gif
3 MB, 300x252
>>319554914
>The dialogue
>better
>>
>>319561729

No, I mean...I don't know what you're talking about. Link me an article or something. I have zero interest in Nintendo things, so I am ignorant of this.
>>
>>319561729
that game looks retarded
>>
>>319561789

NV had boring dialogue, I think. I could barely even play through any of the vanilla DLC, for instance, without just wanting the whole thing to end.
>>
>>319561737
>What made the roleplaying in...say, NV better than 4?
Never said that either.

All I am saying is that "I guess I have a better imagination" is such a retarded argument I just had to reply.
>>
>>319561943

So what, to you, is a game that encapsulates "good roleplaying". Because surely you're not here just to cry retard and run away?
>>
>>319561737
They can make them visually distinctive, sure, but each settlement functions exactly the same way, regardless of playstyle. Again, there's no actual roleplaying involved, just playing pretend. You can pretend you opened a hotel, but the game won't treat it as a hotel.
>>
>>319562068
Furthermore, there'd be no real depth even if you could open hotels unless there was some underlying logic as to how hotels functioned.
>>
>>319556130
>>319558257
>>319556252
>>319561369

... Holy shit. I just got why people spoiler the word "fun"
>>
>>319561552
Camp Macarran was nothing but a generic look don't touch military base.
Just because you don't like 4 and the youtubers you watch don't like 4 doesn't make it bad.
>>
>>319562062
>Because surely you're not here just to cry retard
That is all I did.

you did the equivalent of walking into a room full of people and shitting on the floor. I just could not ignore that.

As for roleplaying. I regularly DM my own selfmade games based on games my group asks me to create. You can literally turn everything into good roleplaying.
>>
Most people including faggots on /v/ do not care about RP, and they really shouldn't either.

Because this is the wrong hobby for RP. Especially on a first play through, when for the sake of immersion or the character a game mechanic has to be ignored.
Why wouldn't you want to experience the actual game before you get started on your shitty 'trouble alcoholic ex-raider' which plays the same but you drink after clearing a location

NV had the same sparse role play options, it's just the dialogue and voice acting that makes it harder to get away from the main role
>>
>>319562068

I can't think of a single player game that actually does that, though. It's asking a lot.

It's the kind of thing where you might as well just wait for mods, like skyrim.
>>
>>319554914
>The dialogue and factions were better than NV
hahahahahhahahahaha
>>
>>319562221

I honestly don't care what you think of my opinions, because it's not constructive in the slightest. It's just white noise crying, as far as i'm concerned, m8.

DMing isn't quite the same. Give me a good vidya for roleplaying and explain why it's good. Because it's easy to shout about how a game sucks because you can't roleplay in it, but without a comparison to work with, or an explanation of that which makes "good roleplaying", it means nothing.
>>
>>319557567
Oblivion is the best TES game.
>>
>>319562357

>NV
>NCR vs Legion
>can't join the legion

nah, m8
>>
>>319562445
>Give me a good vidya for roleplaying and explain why it's good.
You give me a bad one first.

One you can't defend with "I guess I just have a better imagination than you"

Because that is my entire argument.
>>
>>319562262
Neither can I (aside from TS3, anyway), but that's not really my point. There aren't any actual roleplaying mechanics associated with much of anything in the game. Fallout 4 just doesn't respond to roles outside of combat scenarios, and even then only insofar as to how you kill things. You can roll what could be considered a medic, but the game never gives you any options to practice medicine.
>>
File: oh christ.jpg (31 KB, 397x147) Image search: [Google]
oh christ.jpg
31 KB, 397x147
>>319561827
Oh,
Nintendo of America decided to censor a bunch of outfits and a slider that changes the character's breasts
>>
>>319557293
Its because none of them are large enough to rule the mojave. Ncr and the legion are the only factions powerful enough to have even q chance to rule tge entire region.
>>
>>319551695
Even normies start to notice cut features.
>>
>>319562556
That's unfortunate.
Sadly breast and butt sliders aren't overly common in NA and EU console games
>>
>>319562226
>NV had the same sparse role play options

LOL
>>
>>319562548

A bad game for roleplaying? Final Fantasy games. Any JRPG, I guess that has rigid storyline and pre-set characters. You could roleplay what they might do in down-time, but there is zero representation for that so..it doesn't work.
>>
>>319562485
that's not Morrowind>Skyrim>Oblivion but they're all really good
>>
Yes and every fallout is just barely above average. There is nothing special about fallout or bethesda, all their open world RPGs are the same fucking shit and are boring after one playthrough which you can do everything in.

>but much builds
There are no "builds" your character is godly by the end no matter what and you can do every route from saves

Fuck this bethesda is good meme or x is better than y. No, fallout 3 and 4, obliviona and skyrim, all the same shit.
>>
File: 8oSFC3eb.jpg (17 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
8oSFC3eb.jpg
17 KB, 160x160
>>319562062
Roleplaying in games is about a believable world that can respond to the choices that you make as a character.

In the early Fallout games certain skills like very high strength or very low intelligence would open up certain things that wouldn't be available otherwise. This is the gameworld adjusting to your choices and role.

In Fallout 4, just like other Bethesda games nothing matters. They will never gate content much and everything can be done by every character. It's designed for people who just want to see 95% of the games content in a single playthrough.
>>
>>319551695
>me and my normie friends were hyped for FO4
>found out the special edition was actually a garbage toy thats worse than mcdonalds toys
>cancel my SE pre-order, friends disappointed but still getting it
>completely forget about it
>a week after release
>dude FO4 sucks
>>
>>319562704
It does, any reasonably made character had no reason to do most of the quests, has no reason to explore death claw hellholes, no reason to send a companion home because it's a cazador area, etc.
>>
>>319562527
you can't join the NCR either
>>
>>319562715
>Any JRPG, I guess that has rigid storyline and pre-set characters.

Sorry that you have no imagination.
But some of us aren't retarded.

It is just as easy to roleplay in those games as it is in Fallout 4 or any other game.
>>
>>319562549

Okay, so..if it's so rare, why expect it from Fallout 4? I'd understand if these things were possible in all the previous games, but they're not. Not really. I don't see anything outside of modded skyrim or modded fallout 3/NV that does this.

So, why get angry when it's not accommodated in-game?
>>
>>319562445
>I honestly don't care what you think of my opinions
>It's just white noise crying, as far as i'm concerned, m8.
And yet you're still replying to his posts desperately trying to defend your opinions. Get your head out of your ass m8
>>
>>319562956
>I don't see anything outside of modded skyrim or modded fallout 3/NV that does this.

there are numerous fucking quests and interactions in new vegas that test your stats
>>
>>319562549
Combat is not good though, i had more fun shooting things in FC4 of all things. All the energy weapons feel the same, all gunpowder weapons feel the same, all explosives feel the same.
Game is wolfenstein 3d with looting junk, oh wait...
>>
>>319562932

Surely it isn't. Your characters are entirely preset, and the games are quite rigidly linear.

if you're attempting to take the piss rather than engage in any kind of conversation on the subject, you still kind of look like an idiot.
>>
>>319562956
What are you talking about? There are several times when a character with high medicine can save peoples' lives using their medical prowess in New Vegas. One of them is plot critical. The old Fallouts are full of that shit, too, like how your ability to become a pornstar depends on your character's endurance and charisma (IIRC). Same with low-INT runs and all that.
>>
>>319562964

If you don't wanna see people talk, why are you even here?

I don't care what he thinks of my opinions. I'd like to hear some of his. Unfortunately, he seems reluctant to give them, rather than keep whining about everything I say.
>>
>>319551695
Nope, played all the main fallout games and overall it was good. The main story was underwhelming but petty much everything else was an improvement
>>
>>319563063
your character starts as a preset war veteran with a child and spouse in fallout 4.
How is that less rigid than something like final fantasy Christal chronicles?

you have no idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>319563040
>>319563134

In NV they're just different routes to the same objectives though. They're just speech checks that force you to have skills at a certain level, rather than speech.

>>319563307

Because once you leave the vault, you're left to wander as you choose.You never have to engage with the main story if you don't really want to, and some of the factions you don't even have to bother with. Ergo less rigid.
>>
>>319555028
Fallout 4 is so shit that you have to resort to strawmanning about an entirely different game?
>>
>>319563529

Play Lonesome Road, I guess.

In fact, don't bother, it's shit.
>>
>>319563480
So you just have to ignore the parts that directly contradict your role playing?
And ignore huge chunks of content?
But somehow that is only possible in Fallout 4 and you can't do it in other games
>>
>>319563480
>you're left to wander as you choose

have you played crystal chronicles?

>They're just speech checks that force you to have skills at a certain level, rather than speech.

which is a fucking RPG mechanic
>>
>>319563480
What else are RPGs if not skill checks?

I mean all the rest is fluff really.
>>
>>319563480
Several of them are the only way to complete the objective, though. Regardless, you're moving the goalposts. Fallout New Vegas reacts to your character build across several scenarios. Fallout 4 does not.
>>
>>319563672

>you just have to ignore the parts that directly contradict your role playing?

Like you would in any other game, sure.

> somehow that is only possible in Fallout 4 and you can't do it in other games

No, you can do that in a lot of open-world games, if you want.

>>319563707

>have you played crystal chronicles?

Nope. If it's vastly different from the main series Final Fantasy games, and doesn't share the qualities I brought up then you're either misunderstanding my point or being a retard to try and be funny.
>>
>>319556352

Its actually the opposite. You can't join the NCR or Legion, only fight for them. Tje NCR describe you as a "non-military asset" diring Hoover Dam. You can however join the BoS and be made a Khan.
>>
>>319564046
But why can't I do it in Chrystal chronicles?
>>
>>319564046
YOU FUCKING MENTIONED JRPGS AND FINAL FANTASY IN PARTICULAR
Don't FUCKING tell me now the game I used doesn't count.
>>
>>319564264

Not sure if it counts or not. Not played it. Does it follow the same rigidly linear, preset character standard of the main series?
>>
File: ScreenShot82.png (1 MB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
ScreenShot82.png
1 MB, 1280x800
Fallout 4

too many missed opportunities the game
>>
>>319564393
Point is there are no bad games to roleplay in if you have a good enough imagination.
Using your own crazy argument I could just say that my imagination is better than yours if any game is too rigid for you.
>>
>>319551695
all it did was show the capabilities to Obsidian.

Can't wait to see what they'll come up with. The customization options would be insane.
>>
>>319564941
>no skill system

I'd rather no one made another Fallout.
>>
>>319564895

Don't be an idiot. It's a lot easier to roleplay in Skyrim than it is in Final Fantasy VII.

You're just trying to universalise what I said to make yourself feel better. But it's NOT universal. It's a lot easier to roleplay in Fallout 4 than it is in, say, castlevania: symphony of the night, because you're left to your own devices, to develop much of the game as you see fit.

If you can't see that, you're either being purposely obtuse because you can't argue properly, or you're stupid. Either way, it's kind of embarrassing.
>>
>>319565157
I find castlevania easier.
Mostly because of the spouse and child.
>>
>>319565281

A lot of the Belmonts had wives and children. Just saying.
>>
>>319565394
you don't interact that much with them.
>>
File: niggers.png (7 KB, 704x108) Image search: [Google]
niggers.png
7 KB, 704x108
I'm buying it for my brother who doesn't want anything else and can't be convinced otherwise then this happens. Fucking normie shit. reeeee
>>
File: 1446434312236.png (427 KB, 514x662) Image search: [Google]
1446434312236.png
427 KB, 514x662
>>319560050
>cherry picking and subjective nonsense.
>proceeds to spout subjective nonsense
All the dialogue in the game is horrible and comes down to 4 choices, many of which are just the same thing. There is no unique dialogue for certain stats like intelligence, or skills like barter or what have you. In fact skills have been completely removed. What is subjective about that my little shitposter? The game is shit and so are your arguments.
>>
>>319565659

>All the dialogue in the game is horrible
>what's subjective about that?
>>
>>319565538

You don't interact with the spouse (or arguably the child) in FO4 much either. What's your point?
>>
>>319555028
>you delivered packages
>MUH IMMERSION RUINED 0/10
>>
>>319565821
[X]Sarcastic
>>
>>319565923
>>319565923
More than you do in castlevania.
So fallout 4 is more rigid.
>>
>>319551695
Make that overwhelmingly shit. Passé at some, underwhelming in actual skyrim-like content, and abhorrently, mindnumbingly horseshit at everything else.
>>
Better than expected. But that's not saying much.
>>
>>319566069

>Fallout 4 a more rigid game than SOTN

You'll say literally anything to save face. What a child.
>>
>>319566236
To me it is.
Maybe you need to have a better imagination.
Not everyone is that retarded.
>>
File: 1390634302540.jpg (68 KB, 500x400) Image search: [Google]
1390634302540.jpg
68 KB, 500x400
>>319551695
I can agree and say that it didn't live up to what I wanted from the game. Everyone is saying decent shooter, bad rpg, but that isn't what I want from Fallout. Why can't there be both? But I am still enjoying it.
>>
>>319566395
>To me it is.

Opinions discarded.
>>
>>319566675
yeah.
It is just as stupid as your opinion.
>>
>>319557421
>when I realized my mistake. It was my 10th hour into "Fallout 4," and I had overlooked a leveling-up component critical to advancing in the game.

Huh? You can't fuck up your build.
>>
>>319562776
fuck off
Oblivion>morrowind>skyrim
>>
>>319557567
>>319562485
>>319562776
>>319562784
>>319571097
the fact you could level jumping in oblivion simply by jumping all over the fucking place and then level up your jumping enough to jump on water then getting to the point where you could break the game by jumping into the final boss area made oblivion miles ahead of the other games bethesda has made recently.

I think people underestimate how fun it is to simply jump and get to places "you typically shouldn't be able to get to" in games is like the funnest shit ever.

I'll never forget jumping around on the mushrooms of shivering isles, jumping through bravil skipping on water, sneak jumping over legions of skeletons to fire a crit back stab a necromancer in a cave, jumping to the top of the capital, jumping down from the top of the capital, not having to wear the boots of springheel jack and then using them to already fuck around with maxed out jumping with even more jumping. Shit was silly fun.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 600x450
>>319558232
>I told you I didn't give a fuck. I still don't.
That's why you're so butthurt right? Because you don't care SO MUCH.
>>
File: 1448948246447.jpg (276 KB, 835x956) Image search: [Google]
1448948246447.jpg
276 KB, 835x956
>>319562801
>In Fallout 4, just like other Bethesda games nothing matters. They will never gate content much and everything can be done by every character. It's designed for people who just want to see 95% of the games content in a single playthrough.
You never have to do all of anything in these games. If you're roleplaying, you can come up with reasons for yourself not to do certain factions and quests and to go through the story as you see fit. None of these games need a gate when the world is so wide open and there's so many radiant(admittedly meh) quests that one does not have to do everything to level their character the way they want either.
>>
>>319559243
this guy looks based af
>>
File: 1448742696726.jpg (71 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
1448742696726.jpg
71 KB, 620x413
>>319557567
Oblivion was fun/good roleplay
Fallout 3 was fun/great atmosphere and interesting npcs
Skyrim was fun/boring at times but fun mostly
Fallout 4 is fun/Minutemen are a headache

Talk all you want and I've had these arguments before but these are just good games. They make mistakes as Bethesda is want to do but other than witcher, i haven't played anything of the caliber of Bethesda rpgs.
>>
>>319574426
>Oblivion
>good roleplay

UHH
>>
>>319574471
When i played it and roleplayed a thief/assassin (always do) it was really easy for me to adjust my character to that in the game. Whenever I did something, i could imagine without obstacle what my character's motivations were and what my mission as a character was. Honestly love oblivion senpai
Thread replies: 193
Thread images: 24

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.