[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steam Recommendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: 4rdOcQasKart.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg (20 KB, 878x494) Image search: [Google]
4rdOcQasKart.878x0.Z-Z96KYq.jpg
20 KB, 878x494
I recently acquired a good gaming PC. There could be literally hundreds of games on Steam that are awesome that I will never play. The point of this thread is for you to help me make sure that doesn't happen.
>>
>>319524202
Keep in mind that Gog and piracy are also viable options.
What games do you like op?
>>
>>319524356

I like games that have technical control schemes.

To give you an idea, I play Receiver with a controller. I love the gun mechanics, but the game itself is really, really fucking weird.

>Those MK Ultra cassette tapes
>>
Fallout 4 to see those next gen graphics in all of it's glory.
>>
>>319525104

I own it on PS4, and I play it on Survival. Kind of already bored with the concept of it. I kept going for the legendary loot, but all I keep getting is shitty armor or the same shotgun over and over. I've killed at least 70 legendaries and I haven't played in about 3 weeks.

I appreciate the suggestion though.
>>
>>319524202
>There could be literally hundreds of games on Steam that are awesome
I'm sorry to say there really aren't.
>>
>>319524202
I think at this point is incorrect to ask you what kind of games do you like. By changing your gaming platform i think you need to be open to new horizons and try new things.

My recommendations on the steam would be.

Stalker (all the 3 games)
Crusaders kings 2
Arma 2 or 3
Total War: Rome (the first one) or Shogun 2
EYE: divine cybermancy
Legend of Grimrock

If you want more options like those fell free to ask op.
>>
OP again. I guess I like games that you can sink a lot of time into that have a lot of depth.

I'm not into RTS games, and I don't like LoL or DOTA or Diablo 3.

I'm not opposed to RPG games, but I'm bored with the formula.

I like Survival games, but almost none of them are even complete games (Stranded Deep, The Long Dark, The Forest)

and I'm getting a little bored with Roguelikes. I love Towerclimb and Risk of Rain, but I just don't feel like I'm as into them as I used to be.
>>
>>319525475
Stalker SoC is literally the only thing on Steam you will like, and even that is not exactly pure survival
>>
>>319525461

and I'm sorry to say that I believe you.

>>319525474

I was interested in the Stalker series for a long time. I was led to believe that it was open world survival with fucked up monsters, but I read something somewhere that it's more linear, much like Metro 2033 and Last Light.

and I guess I should mention that I love open world games with actual mechanics worth experiencing. Any good ones I may not have heard about?
>>
>>319525587
Stalker SoC is definitely very linear, Call of Pripyat is much more open but there is shit to do, maybe a mod fixes that but I doubt it. I only played it with Arsenal Overhaul which just adds guns
>>
File: 14493287495875.jpg (10 KB, 240x197) Image search: [Google]
14493287495875.jpg
10 KB, 240x197
>>
>>319525475
Even if you're tired of roguelikes you might like Nuclear Throne
>>
>>319525587

I recommend Metro too. I have the normal version and the reworked ones. I think you would like both Stalker and Metro.

>>319525660
It's true that the game have issues and mods fix many of the issues but the core game is good and solid.
>>
Well...I'm not opposed to pixelated games so long as they're of good quality? Are there any of those around?

Already maxed out Terraria, so that one is off the list. I try to enjoy Starbound, but after the new update I'm not interested anymore. Please tell me there's some amazing game I'm missing.
>>
>>319525803
Metro is Call of Duty trying to be Stalker.
>>
>>319525826
Terraria is really good but starbound was a promise undelivered. I think you should avoid starbound until they fix many of the issues and core game elements.
>>
>>319525803

I played the shit out of 2033 and Last Light. I enjoyed both, but would have loved those same mechanics in an open world. That's really what I thought the Stalker series was this whole time, and was pretty bummed out to see that it wasn't.
>>
>>319525893
>buzzwords the post

That sure is a lot of shitpost that doesn't actually say anything.
>>
>>319525852
It's true but the game is good. I hate COD but i did not dislike Metro.

>>319525914

I think Stalker have a much more rich and heavy atmosphere. The myth of the Zone is simple amazing. I think you would like much more after watching the original movie Stalker.
>>
>>319525461
this
I bought these 2 games and I'm already struggling to find something I'd maybe like to purchase
>>
Is Overgrowth playable at this point? I haven't checked. I think it sounds badass, but I don't want to fall into the early access trap.
>>
>>319526225
Hard to tell.

As far as i know there is only 2 or 3 guys working full time on the engine. They always upload new video logs about the development.
>>
>>319526332

I could have fun with the mechanics for ridiculous segments of time, if only there were something to do in the game.

This is assuming that it's actually available for download and literally playable. Not playable in the sense that I can or can't stomach it.
>>
>>319526421
I think it is not available at steam. But you can buy the game on their site. The game have arenas and versus or co-op maps.

But nothing huge...

http://www.wolfire.com/overgrowth
>>
File: ck2-closeup2.png (347 KB, 1783x1105) Image search: [Google]
ck2-closeup2.png
347 KB, 1783x1105
>>319525475
Crusader Kings II...

Isn't that the game where I had my three year old child murdered because she was the devil, where I had half of my enemies killed though suspicious means, assassinated key foreign figures to destabilize England resulting it breaking up into a dozen rebel states and all culminating in my ultimate evil...

Founding the Kingdom of Wales and creating the Welsh.
>>
Now that I really stop and think about it, I think that if you were able to make Receiver's game mechanics work in a survival, semi-open world exploration game, it would be my favorite game of all time.

Like, if you could activate or deactivate "gun mode". Everything else would be melee attacks, recon, mild-survival elements (eating and sleeping), with a metroidvania spin. and there would be different types of monsters that you have to research before you can fully take them on. With surreal environments, and this feeling like you don't know how you got where you are because it's so fucking vast.

I should just make it.
>>
>>319526576

You can play as Norwegians and burn Christians.

10/10
>>
>>319524202

>Civ
Take your pick as to which one, if not someone else will probably shill you one.

>Bethesda's shit w/ mods
This should scratch your itch for survival

>Something by Paradox
I don't care if that's Europa Universalis IV or Mount and Blade: Warband. Just something from Paradox

>Kerbal Space Program
This will either be a hit or a miss. You'll either play it for hundred of hours (a lot of it perhaps being afk) or you'll play it for 5 minutes, make big explosions and penis jokes laugh about and never touch it again.

>FTL
While we're on the vein of space.
>>
>>319526837

I really like FTL, but it's brutal man.

I thought about giving KSP a try but I hear it's brutal as well.

As for Mount and Blade, can it be played single player? I prefer single player games.
>>
OP here. I'm cashing in my chips. Thanks for the suggestions. Much appreciated.
>>
>>319526973
Yes it can. Mount and Blade have a good single player campaign. But trust me, if you buy napoleonic expansion and play multi-player. You will not regret nothing.
>>
>>319527120
>I'm cashing in my chips
what
>>
>>319526973
I try to avoid the term but FTL does have a lot of RNG but that is some of the fun.

KSP I would not consider brutal a successful experience with KSP will look something like this

>Start
>Crash
>Burn
>Explode
>Crash
>Give up
>Watch Scott Manley
>Go back to KSP
>Succeed

It is vital that you do not skip the crashing and burning.

As for Mount and Blade, I think it does.

I would've given you a longer list but when you got rid of RTS and RPG I was at a loss as to what I could recommend.
>>
>>319527298
I think that means he's gone.
>>
Just don't sink too much into a hobby.
>>
>>319525587
Stalker is the best kind of open in my opinion. It's a series of large-ish, interconnected explorable areas but with a definite progression as you travel deeper into The Zone.

SoC is the first and most memorable, but the most rough around the edges. CoP is the last and most polished, but I feel some of the ramshackle creativity of SoC was lost. Clear Sky is a somewhat disappointing experience.
>>
>>319524202
Have you played Serious Sam's classic First and Second encounter yet?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/41050/
Buy Classics Revolution for $9.99 , it comes with first and second encounter.
>>
>>319529210
if you have some friends HD collection is better cause you can co-op but it makes it a little too easy (or with lives the ultimate test of patience)
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.