[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people play these games? I just tried pic related and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 35
File: dota.jpg (124 KB, 1191x670) Image search: [Google]
dota.jpg
124 KB, 1191x670
Why do people play these games?

I just tried pic related and I can't really see the appeal.

Am I missing something? I would like to hear from people who spend a lot of time on it.
>>
The game generally has a lot of depth and when you have a group of people to play with, there is a lot of team work involved. Its competitive and has a learning curve so you are rewarded for playing a lot and learning the mechanics.
>>
>>319508819
Pretty much what this guy said.
The more you play the better it gets, plus it's fun to fuck around with your friends in the custom games or pubs.
>>
Don't worry OP, you aren't the only one. Even playing with some friends and on my own for a couple hours, I couldn't see the appeal. Case in point - I did a well timed ultimate ability and killed the entire team which let my team rush the enemy base and win. My entire team congratulated me on such a good ultimate. But I honestly felt nothing, all I did was press a button at the right time. Just not my type of game.
>>
>>319508661
Its a way for people to feel like they're a hardcore gamer without actually needing any real skill.

Why do you think every game of the genre pats a player on the head with verbal praise whenever they do anything remotely good? Same reason why the communities are so hostile towards one another, because the children get jealous that someone else is getting their dicked sucked by the announcer.

People who play that game usually have the mental illness that gets kids in school put into special ed without actually being stupid.

Its a casual RTS and since casuals make up the bulk of """gamers"""(can't put enough quotations around that) it gets insanely popular. Same reason why halo, cod, fallout, and other shitty games are so successful. They are marketed as hardcore games but in actuality are for people who have a hard time making metroid crawl.
>>
>>319509034
>2015
>using the word "casual" unironically
For real though, Dota is probably the only moba that doesn't fall in the "casual" category.
>>
>>319508661
>I just tried

Its hard to enjoy a game like Dota without a couple dozen hours at least.
>>
File: halo and dota.jpg (183 KB, 1162x386) Image search: [Google]
halo and dota.jpg
183 KB, 1162x386
>>319508819
>The game generally has a lot of depth
Compared to nearly every genre, no it doesn't. Unless you're saying "it has a lot of heroes/champions/whatevers so it has depth" in which case that is like saying Pokemon has depth.
>when you have a group of people to play with, there is a lot of team work involved.
Its (usually) a 5v5, which would get laughed at by anyone who plays a FPS, even casual ones.

You can argue that your team needs more synergy than in a FPS, but 2v2 in smash bros and 8v8 in guns of icarus blows that out of the sky. Most RTS games have team matchup modes, heck RA3 was based around it.

Chogall and Empath heroes are few and far between.
>Its competitive
You can say that about any multiplayer game.
>and has a learning curve
I wouldn't call knowing what heroes do a learning curve. Doesn't take much skill to just study shit, unless I'm a genius who has a memory that isn't like that of a goldfish. This applies to item builds too.

Basically comes down to when/where to attack, when/where to run, and skillshots.

I myself play this genre quite a bit, because its a stupid little genre to turn your brain off and do whatever, and its great for playing with friends if you aren't Australian nor a sperglord.
>>
>>319509897
I wouldn't say you can turn off your brain while playing, because if you're playing with someone competent and you are not a relatively good player you will get clobbered and will have a horrible time
>>
>>319510132
Let him enjoy his ninty games and stop replying.
>>
>>319509897
How can anyone claim that dota saved PC gaming is beyond me.
>>
>>319510132
Well then I never met someone competent then.
>decide to watch PRO GAMURZ stream with the world finals
>they miss easy to land skillshots and do braindead retarded shit
>>319510231
Why did you bring up nintendo games? Is it cause you have no comeback? I'm sorry, but the only reason I mentioned smash bros is that everyone knows smash bros is a casual game, but its a casual game that requires more synergy than dota if played in a 2v2.
>>
>>319509897
I don't get the FPS one. 5v5 is the staple of CS, and has been forever. So I fail to see the lack of depth there.
Unless you feel CS has no depth either which a different discussion entirely.

Still, 100+ heroes with varied skills and synergies does lend itself to a learning curve, much like proper build, kill/deny, jungling, proper positioning. Choosing the right hero for the right job as well.

At that point, it devolves into what you consider depth and what you don't.

Naturally, MOBAs are simplified RTS mechanics, which inherently diminishes the depth of some things. Calling it truly shallow seems a bit much, however.
>>
>>319508661
Dota isn't a pick up and play game. Despite how much this board tries to chide you into think it its a entirely casual game.
>>
>>319510415
>"He is a pro-player therefore he isn't allowed to commit mistakes!"
I can almost smell your 2k mmr.
>>
File: pokemon players.jpg (63 KB, 588x331) Image search: [Google]
pokemon players.jpg
63 KB, 588x331
>>319510432
>Still, 100+ heroes with varied skills and synergies does lend itself to a learning curve
Picture related.

I put a spoiler tag on it because if you open it it is going to rape your argument.
>>
File: 1434907157051.jpg (26 KB, 400x325) Image search: [Google]
1434907157051.jpg
26 KB, 400x325
You play and kill scrubs. If you are the one who is being killed you can't a have a fun. Simple.
>>
>>319510415
>Is it cause you have no comeback?

Because you seem to have made up your mind, you don't seem to want to discuss games but to impose your opinion.
>>
>>319509034
agreed

remember how hard it was to get big sprees/multi kills in UT? a "wicked sick" was almost impossible unless fighting bots.

but this game stole the announcer and made it easy to get your dick sucked without doing anything skilled.

Your opponents are practically forced to give you these awards because they can't leave the game, even when getting steamrolled.

It's a pandering game that people flocked to because they sucked too much to play Warcraft 3, but still wanted to pretend they were playing a game of skill.
>>
>>319510853
I've lost games and still enjoyed them if we all gave our best. Its not so fun when someone does stupid shit but thats what happens most of the time.
>>
>>319510827
Not really, no. Pokemon is a spredsheet simulator, which means you actually need to put some measure of thought into it.

Note I did not say the learning curve is high, just that it exists. But really, comparing the two is ill advised, the mechanics are completely different.

Also, still waiting on an explanation regarding the 5v5 bit.
>>
>>319510716
>they make 10 mistakes every match
>mfw I make a mistake every 10 matches
>>
File: 1443959166207.png (34 KB, 988x526) Image search: [Google]
1443959166207.png
34 KB, 988x526
>>
>>319511050
Never played CS more than an hour, didn't know its a 5v5.
>>
It can be fun, Its for those moments where your heart kicks up and you win, left with a beating heart stronger than a bull.
I have 900 hours in the game, I still aint amazing or even that good, I just know a lot about it and have a decent amount of time to have an opinion
>>
>>319511090
Oh, so you are THAT type of guy.
Stop being delusional, you commit mistakes that you don't even notice.
>>
>>319509034
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my best to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
>>
>>319511213
Really now.

So then, what do you consider depth, since Quake is 1v1, CS is 5v5 as far as competitve FPS goes.

What exactly makes a learning curve worthwhile? Legitimately curious.

Note that I do agree RTS take more skill, though that is balanced by the fact competition are commonly 1v1 far as I know. I think there are 3v3 in AoM, but I may remember wrong.

>>319511415
Obvious troll is obvious, but eh.
>>
It's multiplayer, multiplayer considered more interesting than single player against bots, less predictable (but there is still meta)
Mind games (rare) on higher levels, teamfights are fun, wide variety of picks.
Requires less macro so it's less stressful than Starcraft.
>>
>>319511415
When I miss a skillshot, I notice it, and call it out to myself and always remember it at the end of the match.

These fucks miss several a match, I miss 1 every 10 at most, unless its a blind shot/enemy gets away and i just throw it out there to see if I hit them before they're out of range, which I don't judge people I watch on either. That shits fine, but if someone is within range, you fire it, and you miss, ten times a game, you're shit compared to me.

Hmmm, maybe I should upload videos onto youtube of me playing, once I figure out how to edit things properly.(Not going to edit out me missing, mean just speeding up the footage during laning/alonetime)

Cause we all know even if you're top percentage MMR you will still get fucks saying you're bad.
>>
>>319511868
>Cause we all know even if you're top percentage MMR you will still get fucks saying you're bad.

The irony.
>>
>>319510415
>>319511090
Your argument may have had some weight but then you went on implying that you're even nearly as good as a pro.
You're not, you just don't even understand what they're doing most of the time, and see your own mistakes. I guarantee this.

Also, your point about team size is retarded. A 24 vs. 24 match of Battlefield is not nearly as complex despite having many more people. Few competitive FPS have large teams, or often have no teams at all.
>>
>>319511868
Post dotabuff.

Also, pro players will juke, play mindgames, or animation cancel to throw off each others' aim. It's hardly a reliable indicator of skill.
>>
>REDS being a faggot again

Almost forgot setting up filters again
>>
>>319511868
Funny that the worst players are the ones with your type of mentality.
>>
the game only has a "learning curve" because it's so unintuitive.

what, mechanically has a learning curve in dota? last hitting? lol

microing maybe, but only like 3 heroes do that.
>>
People can aparently magically tell your skill from your dota buff, So.. Tell me guys
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/106113370
>>
>>319512197
Different heroes have different animations speed, meaning the last hit timing changes.
Build changes depending on opposition, flow of the match, the role of the selected hero. Also the potential choking of a teammate requiring switching.
Skillshots.
Item and skill use.

No matter how short, if it exists as a mechanic you have to learn, it does have a learning curve.
>>
>>319512258
>normal skill
Normal skill is below 3,0k I think, I know that very high starts from 3,8k, I have a lot of friends like that.
>>
league is better
>>
>>319512505
What are you talking about?
Where does this skill come from? A note is that i never ever play ranked, because im so low.
>>
>>319512258
Not that hard to do actually.
You can tell the skill level by your kda ratio, your skill bracket, your item builds, etc.
You are probably between 2k and 3k, I could be wrong.
>>
>>319512258
>Magically
It's not hard to tell your skill
>Normal bracket
Lmaoao, your painfully average.
>>
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/32207550
Give it to me
>>
>>319512258
>Normal skill
Fucking normies get out
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/65034999
>>
File: 1445524281546.gif (1 MB, 276x260) Image search: [Google]
1445524281546.gif
1 MB, 276x260
>>319509897
>valve
>bungie
>Shitty companies

I mean they have some pretty shitty business practices, but at least they put out quality games.

at least get an original trip fuck off tripfag
>>
>>319512709
You have to be at least 4100
>>
Just fuck me up senpai
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/74378317
>>
>>319512719
>>
File: 1442363954407.png (131 KB, 550x309) Image search: [Google]
1442363954407.png
131 KB, 550x309
>>319512845
>Very High Skill
>54%
You're 5k+ boy, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
>>
File: 1449605889050.png (114 KB, 290x290) Image search: [Google]
1449605889050.png
114 KB, 290x290
The tripfag really went all out.
>>
>>319512616
Unranked has rating too, it's just hidden, how do you think they give normal/high/very high rating to games
>>
File: Untitled.png (48 KB, 964x265) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
48 KB, 964x265
>>319512709
>600+ Brood games
>Look closer
No Anon you're the cancer
You're fucking cancer
>>
File: meepo.png (25 KB, 480x93) Image search: [Google]
meepo.png
25 KB, 480x93
>2 years ago lost 1k on a long rage-streak
I deserve it for feeding intentionally game after game
>>
>>319512709
I like you anon.
>>
>>319513458
Why?
>>
http://www.dotabuff.com/players/125253620
>>
>>319508661
It takes some time to get bit by the bug and start really getting into it. It makes absolutely no sense at first, but as you start to get a grasp on how things work you'll get more and more into it.

I can't speak for everyone, but I like it because it combines a whole bunch of features from various genres together an a really unique way (I mean the original core concept itself, the genre is oversaturated and full of generic riped off garbage). It's a tower defense map and map elements, on which you play Diablo PVP with characters you selected fighting game-style, using RTS controls and edge panning with FPS-style kill scoreboards and respawns, all while leveling up and building your character MMO-style but in short per-match instances.

It's nice because it basically gives you the MMO experience with PVP all throughout and wrapped up into nice clean ~30 minute matches, letting you make a new "alt" and try things a little different and do it better every time you play. The progression and the snowball effect make it really engaging if it's your thing, every little thing you do makes you a bit stronger and every action has an outcome on how the game flows.
>>
File: what the fuck.jpg (1 MB, 1480x3060) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck.jpg
1 MB, 1480x3060
I really hate how valve fucked the artstyle
>>
>there are this many people on /v/ who don't have REDS filtered
why
>>
File: TRIGGERED.gif (36 KB, 170x200) Image search: [Google]
TRIGGERED.gif
36 KB, 170x200
>game could have looked amazing
>has to run on 3rd world computers
>>
>>319513502
SEAmonkey/10
>>
>>319510940
>It's a pandering game that people flocked to because they sucked too much to play Warcraft 3, but still wanted to pretend they were playing a game of skill.

I somewhat agree and can also relate a bit. Playing solo matches in War3 was stressful and I even dreaded to find a match at times to not ruin my wins streaks, so I started playing random 2vs2 and 4vs4. It was way more carefree even though now you had the occasional rager who blamed others.

Dota is even a larger step down from that now that it was 5vs5 and you controlled only one unit.
>>
File: 1444142218148.gif (2 MB, 395x310) Image search: [Google]
1444142218148.gif
2 MB, 395x310
>>319513634
this is the newfag board, they don't even have the copy pasta on hand.

Listen up newfags, there posters called tripfags. One called "Reliable Ecchi deliver sniper" is in this thread, posting dumb shit as usual. Seeing this retardation may have caused you physical distress, but fear not! 4chan has methods of filtering tripfags, making it so that their post does not show up in the thread! Here's how you do it:

>go to google
>google "how to filter tripfags on 4chan"
>follow the instructions
>never have to read REDS's idiocy, or any tripfag's again
>>
>People still comparing a pvp team-based action RPG to completely unrelated RTS games
Why?
>>
>>319513165
Wait... Why do I have only 2 high bracket matches 3 months ago. I won both, why can't I keep getting into those matches?
>>
>>319509006
>But I honestly felt nothing

Because you had no idea what you were doing dipshit.
>>
>>319513475
Brood mother is one of my top three most played heros.
And I have Amuro as my steam avatar.
>>
Dota 2 quickly became my second most played game of all time. Sitting around 8000 hours now between a few accounts.

I had played the original dota and failed to see the appeal, but after watching the very first International, it clicked. I saw how the teams were approaching the game on a competitive level. The nuances they had the master to win the next match. The way different teams were good at different things and had distinct strategies.

That is exciting, god damnit. I love counter-strike, but so much of it boils down to twitch-shot skills. Impressive but boring after seeing how a game like DOTA 2 can be so different match after match.

The game isn't for everyone. That's fine. DOTA 2 will never be as popular as LOL, and that is fine to. But there is definitely something about MOBA's in general that make them really hard to break into so they get a lot of hate. And that is a shame.
>>
>>319514173
You're probably a shitter like he is too.

>>319513209
>>
File: image.jpg (100 KB, 600x849) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
100 KB, 600x849
>>319513579
>implying Wraith King isnt the best carry
Skellie king still better though
>>
>>319514150

What do you mean? I clicked on my ultimate and killed the enemy team with it. What else is there to be doing?
>>
File: 1427187890857.jpg (41 KB, 550x512) Image search: [Google]
1427187890857.jpg
41 KB, 550x512
There is no joy to be found in moba games, besides knowing that the other team is raging when they lose.
>high school few years ago
>classmate introduce us to lol
>give it a go
>play for 1-2 years
>quit and sell account
>friends still play to this day
I don't get it.
>>
File: sideways_hat.jpg (8 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
sideways_hat.jpg
8 KB, 200x200
>mfw 550 MMR
>mfw had a game with a 1 MMR gyrocopter on my team yesterday
>mfw we won

I don't like dota

I love it
>>
>>319514352
You're probably right, the other two heroes in my top three are Earth spirit and Lycan.
>>
>>319514401
You're being dense on purpose like a dipshit. You know exactly what I'm telling you.
>>
>>319514069
Maybe you are somewhere between normal and high. Remember that it a game rating, not player rating. Let's say that high games need more than 15k rating from one team, resulting in average 3k per player, and lets say that you got 3100, so if one player has 2899 and others average 3k, then you'll be in Normal game. The further you are from that average 3k the less is a chance that you'll get in Normal game.
>>
>>319514352
Probably mad cause I'm in the top 100, what you're not? It's not like its hard or anything you just need to have the most basic of 'micro' too bad.
>>
File: Capture.png (3 MB, 1643x779) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
3 MB, 1643x779
>>319514401
>clicking abilities
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>319514570

I actually really don't. You're the one calling me names for no reason. I did something in the game that I expect I should feel really good about, but it did nothing for me. You're saying I felt nothing because I didn't know what I was doing. But there wasn't anything to know beyond pointing and firing my ult at the right time.
>>
>>319514446
>550 mmr
>there's people with 1 mmr
holy shit, 2k players are braindead already, I can't imagine how's your tier like
>>
>>319508661
I play it because I enjoy it. If you do not enjoy, that is fine, and you should play other games that you do enjoy instead.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR7CU3CJ7iU

Less intimidating. Less stressful. Shorter learning curve.
>>
>Be shit
>Play like shit
>Learning curve knocks you off cus you're shit
>Call the game shit

Every Dota thread ever.

Favorite heroes
Heroes you want to get good with
Heroes you want buffed in 6.86

Undying/Nightstalker/Kunkka
Chen/Invoker/Earth Spirit
Kunkka/Puck/Pugna
>>
>>319514825
I play at night and can't see my keyboard cuz I'm not a nerd with a backlighted mechanical keyboard. Thats why I click on my champions abilities.
>>
>>319514446
I refuse to believe that under 2k mmr exists. Like, I get that people will play badly and not really know what they are doing for their first 10-20 games, but after that...
>>
>>319515086
>Earth Spirit
Lol no, he already destroys people in V.High Bracket.
>>
>>319514905
Post your dotabuff.
>>
>I just tried pic related and I can't really see the appeal.
Are you trying to force or fool yourself into liking a game just because other people like it?
>>
>>319515115
>being so poor that you can't afford a desk lamp
>being such a shut-in that you play video games in the dark like a NEET autist
Are you sure you're not a nerd?
>>
>>319514905
Dude I'm not even going to read your essay because you're just being an autistic retard. Maybe someone else in here will take your bait
>>
>>319515115
>champion
>clicking abilities
>not knowing where your QWER keys are
I don't even have a backlight keyboard and have 0 problems playing at night. Is this bait?
>>
>>319514987
>LoL
https://youtu.be/yE9ecc0eQC0?t=13s
>>
>>319515086
Silencer/Ember Spirit/Techies
Earth Spirit/Templar Assassin/Kunkka
Silencer/Centaur Warrunner/Techies
>>
File: 62343536 (2).jpg (49 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
62343536 (2).jpg
49 KB, 600x400
>>319509897
You're a fucking idiot and you have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>319511582
yo dude, I hate tripfags as much as the next guy, but you're new as fuck if you don't realize that trip has been around for a super long fucking time. Not excusing it, but you're directing your hate to the wrong guy.
>>
>>319515086
>Tfw used to play Kunkka mid
>Used to destroy the lane
>tfw Qop buff
>tfw Lina buff
>tfw le farming mid hero

I just want to splash people with 3k pure damage tidebringers
>>
>>319515269

I didn't play DOTA and I can't imagine whatever stats I had in LOL would be very interesting since i only played like 4 or 5 hours.
>>
>>319509006
Maybe the ultimate is really hard to use but you manage to perfect it by luck first try.

They understand how hard it is because they've played the game for so long, but because you're new you don't appreciate it.
>>
>>319514987
OMG! Look how he switches through all his units, so fast.
>>
>>319513884
But why would I filter an idiot when I can laugh at him?
>>
>>319515512
So you're not even talking about dota then.
>>
File: 1425946436867.jpg (197 KB, 1049x1600) Image search: [Google]
1425946436867.jpg
197 KB, 1049x1600
I put about 2k hours into the game.
Took a three month break and could never get back into it.
>>
>>319508661
Dota is a lot harder that pleb of legends, more mechanics that arent so obvious

Its also mostly teamplay and your matched with azns BRs and Ruskis its hard to have a good game
>>
The community takes itself way too seriously imo. Way too many try hards who throw a fit if you make one mistake.

Worst are those who after getting a bad start are just feeding intentionally. Actually that's a problem with too many team games, not just mobas. If you care so much about your win rate then play with your friends who you can trust. No friends? Join a forum and look for them. Stop shitting up pubs.
>>
File: ebola.jpg (542 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ebola.jpg
542 KB, 1920x1080
>>319515205
But that's exactly why I want to learn him. Only reason why ebola isn't as popular anywhere but China is because V. High brackets outside of unique individuals only monkey-see-monkey-do what the pros play and the pros can't play him because hes not in captains mode.
>>
>>319515346

but how did you you know I'm being an autistic retard if you didn't read my post?

thoroughly japed again

>>319515538

It seemed very simple to be honest. I don't remember the hero's name but it was literally select the ult, choose where it hits, and then after a second or two the whole cone of attack was bombarded. For me, I don't find that satisfying at all, even if I managed to get a lot of kills, it doesn't feel like I did anything. I'm not disparaging others that do, I'm just saying it wasn't my kind of game.

>>319515650

OP said "these games" so I thought any moba could be up for discussion.
>>
>>319514950
It's pretty horrible yeah. I don't think I'll ever make it out

>>319515185
Before I had any idea what I was doing in the game I played ranked not knowing how serious business it was, so I lost 8/10 of my calibration games at least before I started playing for real. MVP of the enemy team was a 97 MMR Riki. Good times
>>
>>319515086
Give me back my fucking 50% damage amp on Oracle so I can play him again, I've just been playing Ogre Magi because Oracle is so fucking awful now.
>>
>>319515898
>>Before I had any idea what I was doing in the game I played ranked not knowing how serious business it was, so I lost 8/10 of my calibration games at least before I started playing for real. MVP of the enemy team was a 97 MMR Riki. Good times
I really wish a could get my hands on an account in that bracket. When I create smurf I actually have people putting a ward into my inventory for offlane in the very first game.
>>
>>319514446
Congratz dude, just you keep climbing that mmr senpai, never give up
>>
>>319515819
I rarely play against him but how do you counter him?
>>
>>319508661
I play lol with my friends who are fucking amazing at it, but im shit. I can't stand playing alone, since I can't communicate easily with my teamates. That being said its fun because the game has a really high skill ceiling without a dwarf fortress tier learning curve, so every couple matches will have gone better than the last few, and I usually stick to the few champs im good with(since im level 10 playing against level 30's).
>>
>>319515438
Those nerfs were justified, turning a map controlling hero into an instawin duo offlane cheese cake was ultra bullshit.
>>
>>319509006
earthshaker?
>>
>>319515847
Well almost every ability and ult is select it and choose where it hits.

What you described doesn't really narrow it down, so I'm not sure what you were playing.

Maybe try playing different roles and positions. Support and carry are two different animals. I generally feel supports do way much more for the team than a carry does. A lot more responsibility for their roles, even if no one appreciates it.
>>
>>319516379
Hes bullshiting.
>>
>>319516226
Why don't you just play Dota?
>>
>>319516379
LOL, not DOTA.

>>319515847
Far as I remember even from LOL, there is no ult capable of that without a setup.

So I am in agreement with >>319516484
>>
>>319516425

Sorry I couldn't narrow it down, it was a long time ago.

>>319516379

Don't remember the name, sorry.

>>319516484

Why would I bullshit over my experience with a game? Its a free game, anyone can download it and play it. Not everyone who downloads a game has to like it.
>>
i use to play a fair bit. got over 1400 hours but not i haven't really touched it since MGSV came out.

even now im not play MGSV that much but im still finding DOTA boring now. probably because i dont have friends to play it.
>>
>>319514419
Dota is an absolute blast. While frustratingly outplaying the opponent is nice, close match ups are better.
>>
>Playing solo queue
>Dick around JUST enough to know how to win because I know the game so fucking well it's almost sad

>Playing with friends
>Dicking around
>Dick around too much because I think they are enjoying it as well as I am
>We lose hard
>it's absolutely my fault
>"Haha, oops my b-bad. I'll see you guys around... LAter!"
>Never play with them again unless you promise to tryhard

Why would you play this game with friends again? It's more fun when you don't give a shit and play solo infrequently.
>>
>>319516612
zyra has an ult like that fampai
>>
>>319516619
Enigma? Tidehunter? Magnus? Winter Wyvern?

I don't know many other "press r to wipe team" heroes....
>>
>>319513579
the fucking gooks that did it. they're one of the biggest fan base for the game and if they kept the old styles, they probably would have offended them and lost an entire demographic to market to.

all because of their precious feelings.
>>
>>319516792
He said it wasn't dota
>>
>>319514391
>rush midas
>farm like mad
>get refresher orb

the confusion from the other team is hilarious.
>>
>>319516612
>>319516792

I was wrong! It wasn't LoL (though I do remember trying LoL a long time ago) it was from a more recent game called heroes of the storm. It was this guy:

http://heroesofthestorm.gamepedia.com/Raynor

his "Hyperion" ability is what I think I used

Sorry for that confusion. I honestly muddled the two games together I think.
>>
>>319516749
Because when I play with my friends we got a rule: If we're going for ranked we tryhard. If not, we fuck around and hopefully win.
>>
File: Broodmother.png (68 KB, 256x144) Image search: [Google]
Broodmother.png
68 KB, 256x144
>>319515086
Brood Mother/Night Stalker/Spirit Breaker
Timber Saw/Shadow Shamen/Winter Wyvern
Lich/Elder Titan/something to makes Augs really worth it on NS
>>
>>319516115
>When I create smurf I actually have people putting a ward into my inventory for offlane in the very first game.

I don't know what you mean by this but I do this every game atm since I'm trying to rise up. Dunno if it's a dumb move or not
>>
File: 1336889329195.jpg (50 KB, 428x510) Image search: [Google]
1336889329195.jpg
50 KB, 428x510
>>319509897
>Its (usually) a 5v5, which would get laughed at by anyone who plays a FPS, even casual ones.

You can argue that your team needs more synergy than in a FPS, but 2v2 in smash bros and 8v8 in guns of icarus blows that out of the sky. Most RTS games have team matchup modes, heck RA3 was based around it.

lmao
>>
>>319508661
You aren't missing anything.
Go play some other game.
>>
I've played the game a shit ton and I think the biggest thing about making me enjoy Dota 2 was how satisfying it was to win/play well. The game mechanics felt nice, but if you don't have the same kind of feeling then don't bother I think.
>>
>>319517014
Not a dumb move.
What he means is that it shows he's in a somewhat decent tier.
He wants to stomp 2ks.
>>
>>319516928
Blizzard truly are the masters of making gameplay not feel that satisfying at all.
>>
>>319511090
>being this delusional
>being this filtered
>>
>>319516749
I learned this with L4D 2, I can't imagine playing Dota with them, we lost contact anyways but I couldn't stand any more drama.
>>
Are there any specific games that are similar to mobas/assfaggots in how they handle teamwork?

When you're playing a game like TF2 or Battlefield or whatever other jump-in-and-play game, there isn't really any actual teamwork. Sure, you're on a team, and you're all working towards a common objective, but it just boils down to throwing yourself at the enemy until you finally win unless you're in a full group, and finding sometimes dozens of players to play with is impossible.

Meanwhile in an assfaggot, you're forced to co-operate. You have to teamfight. You have to cover each other. Concepts like ganking and supporting are vital. Everyone has a specific role and strategy, and your personal contribution matters significantly to the point where they significantly affect whether or not you win or lose.

I play CSGO which operates sort of similarly, and I do Smash and Starcraft II 2v2 and 3v3, but I haven't found any other games that really enforce actual, real teamwork. Where else can I get it?
>>
>>319516792
Zeus

AA

Earth Spirit

CM

Witch Doctor

Lion if he has aghs

Jugg sometimes
>>
>>319516928
>played the most casual of the ASSFAGGOTS
>didn't understand why it wasn't fun
Well that explains a lot.
I gave that shit an honest shot, but it was fucking boring. I even managed to get enough gold for Abathur and I still dropped it.
>>
File: 1401830839228.jpg (73 KB, 550x775) Image search: [Google]
1401830839228.jpg
73 KB, 550x775
>>319514391
I prefer Specter but Wraith King is pretty god damn swell to have on your team.
>>
File: pengwang.png (1 MB, 678x589) Image search: [Google]
pengwang.png
1 MB, 678x589
>>319508661
From my experience with Dota 2:
The teamwork aspect and combinations are engaging.

Playing with friends can be an enjoyable experience so long as you don't take it too seriously and joke around.

Seeing yourself improve and progress in your understanding of the many mechanics and combinations in the game is fun.

The characters (in Dota 2 specifically) are entertaining.

Cosmetics give you a personal attachment to the game and add another layer of entertainment by allowing you to play dress-up.

Competitive scene along with betting is another world in itself and enjoyable for some. Getting into competitive play is also fun, and the game being PvP in itself allows for infinite replay value.

Trading and jewing people with selling cosmetics is fun for some.

The community, while cancerous at times, can also be pretty entertaining with the stupid people you meet.

The worse a match is, the more satisfying it is to win it. Like if somebody's feeding or you're getting stomped and make a comeback, it's amazing. But if you're just stomping effortlessly, it's not as fun.

Some people are masochists, some are miserable and enjoy making matches miserable for others.
-
Can't say much about the others since I only played LoL and HotS for a very short period of time. I joined a club where people play games though and have gotten dragged into LoL, so I guess I'll start my suffering in that soon.
>>
File: 1381818248499.jpg (76 KB, 283x437) Image search: [Google]
1381818248499.jpg
76 KB, 283x437
>>319516983
>Buffing Lich

I have a firm belief that Lich is THE most OP support in all of 6.85 right now. But because his playstyle bores the shit out of redditor pubbies and pros prefer to pick Dazzle/WW supports, there's a lot less complaints about him and he just slips under the radar.
>>
>>319517328
I would assume most sport games.
>>
>>319516928
I would say that Dota's a much better example of the genre than HOTS and you should try it before writing the whole thing off. But it's still not for everyone, anyway, and the community is pretty much as bad as people say it is.
>>
>>319517328
L4D?
>>
Don't bother the game went to utter shit about a year ago.
>>
>>319513436
Automatic respect for playing Maapo
>>
>>319517328
I've played only first Payday game, hardest difficulty and stealth requires some planning and teamwork.
>>
>>319513579
Everything but the Skeleton King change was fine. Fucking Skeleton King was the best man. TRAVEL BY BONE
>>
>>319516983
>buffing Brood
How does it feel to be bad at a hero
>>
File: Lich.jpg (295 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lich.jpg
295 KB, 1920x1080
>>319517510
I want him to be buffed for 2 reasons
1. hes been getting buffs forever now, and I want to see just how far they will take him. Seriously a free ticket to ruin your enemies lane farm, give you and your lane pals a practically free periodic exp boost, spell spam, and a super team fight spell that can technically deal infinite damage. I can only image what else they could do for him.
2. Hes the only hero my buddy plays because they are weak sauce
>>
>>319517534
I can't even name a sports game.

>>319517559
>vs AI
Unless you mean the mode where other players control the specials, which I don't remember being very good or balanced.
>>
>>319517328
I would say that TF2 in comp format(6s or highlander) involves a lot of teamwork like a moba.
>>
>>319517387
Sand King

Earth Spirit's ult is a bit mediocre unless you are placing remnants down to extend it.
>>
File: 1449183457235.jpg (51 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1449183457235.jpg
51 KB, 600x400
>>319517694
I said Brood was one of my favorite you dunce. The last thing she needs is buffs, because then she will get popular and then nerfed into the ground.
>>
>>319515461
fuck you tripfag
>>
>>319517790
Telling REDS to stop tripfagging isn't going to do shit, people have been giving him the same copypasta for years. Just filter him and forget he exists like the rest of us have.
>>
>>319517720
The problem is that, unless they changed it, TF2 doesn't have a ranked queue or really support a competitive environment.

It's not really a question of what games can support true teamwork via their gameplay, but rather about games that have the infrastructure to allow that sort of gameplay to be its mainstay.
>>
File: 1356462509067.jpg (31 KB, 521x579) Image search: [Google]
1356462509067.jpg
31 KB, 521x579
>quit game around 4.8k mmr
>decide to replay reborn patch
>cant handle the current mmr because im rusty as shit

well i did reinstall this just for the custom maps
24/7 wraithnight and EBB are fucking great
i wish they dropped hats like tf2
>>
Kunkka is my favorite fucking hero.
I seriously can't lose with him.
>>
>>319517712
VS is the only game mode I played in L4D, co-op is for casuals that should be playing Killing Floor.

I got bored of that game though.
>>
File: 1447110995659.gif (51 KB, 500x376) Image search: [Google]
1447110995659.gif
51 KB, 500x376
>>319517720
Most competitive games requite good teamwork if you want to git good. Valve games and a lot of the mods are pretty good with friends though.

>tfw burned out on Zombie Panic! and will never have the same magic as before
>>
>>319517916
TF2 doesn't have an official ranked queue but you can go to TF2center which is basically a 3rd party ranked queue.

Also valve said something about how they were gonna put one in, but I don't think they have yet.
>>
>>319517574
Thanks People actually gave me commends for stomping on Meepo, I have ~50 of each, but to be fair we didn't have ranked back then and it probably was normal bracket, so it was like a miracle especially with krokodainers vid around
>>
>>319517328
Red Orchestra 2. Good teamwork on one side can turn it into a stomp where you cap point after point mowing them dirty japs down. Good teamwork on both sided makes for an intense and satisfying battle. RO2 is so fun, its fun even when you lose.
>>
>>319518082
A good Meepo is impressive and opens up the map so much. That free Rosh is always nice. How did you learn to play him? I'd like to play him too but I'd probably get fucked up on binds and press the wrong shit at the wrong time.
>>
File: Untitled.png (66 KB, 397x514) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
66 KB, 397x514
Post your items
>>
>>319517964
ebb?
>>
>>319518501
epic boss battles

i enjoy the coop-pve maps
>>
File: juggernaut.png (170 KB, 496x440) Image search: [Google]
juggernaut.png
170 KB, 496x440
>pic jug
>go safe lane
>get 900 gold
>buy mask
>farm up 1000 more gold however I please
>level up that crit and healing ward
>one helm of the dominater and smoke of decite late
>pick up literally any big jungle creep, though the blue troll with ice armor is particularly good
>smoke
>walk to Rosh pit
>Alternate Rosh hitting myself and my creep
>when my creep takes to much damage throw down my ward and heal him back to full
>enjoy a pile of gold for the whole team and immortality before 15 minutes

Its extra sweet when the enemy has a more traditional early rosher like Ursa and we zoned him out, they never see it coming
>>
>>319518676
That sounds pretty damn interesting. I'm gonna try this in bot match and never try it again because I'll fuck it up somehow
>>
>>319518839
just dont die, helm, smoke, and about level 6 or 7 is really all you need. If you want to be really daring Jug can jungle at level one if you cut the right trees, but lane is generally a faster way to your mask
>>
>>319518676
That's an amazing strat how does that work in 3k bracket.
>>
>>319518839
What's the problem, anon? Afraid of a few GANKS?? :^)
>>
>>319516551
Because my friends play lol. And I like pirates and lol has like 3. 4 or 5 if you count skins.
>>
File: 1403184487914.png (187 KB, 500x394) Image search: [Google]
1403184487914.png
187 KB, 500x394
>>319519024
works perfectly well 33% of the time thank you for asking
>>
>>319518262
First games were with recommended items, then I learned about N0tail and his guide for items, started practicing dagger poof and changed keyboard layout to:
asdzxc for items, f1-f4 for movement commands, 1-3 for groups (individual clones choose by mouse), you move left hand only up or down that way
Then I tried support Meepo, but it's very situational. Started farming in 2-3 places at the same time, can be useful sometimes. Started changing Hearts to SoV and Ethereal. Map control is very important, wards or baiting for dagger poof. You need to know when you should build dagger or aghanims first, go alone if enemies go alone, otherwise cooperate with team. I learned myself to play in forest, solo hard, find time to farm while enemies are just hunting for me. Can't really remember all things that I did, haven't played the game for a year, remember to use mind games against counterpickers.
>>
>>319518839
his strategy is too slow
youre not gonna have enough damage to kill it with HotD alone

unlike most rosh killers like ursa or lycan
jug doesnt have anything effective to kill rosh with and blade dance isnt that strong

youre better off with phase boots and ganking with your spin
>>
>>319508819
So it's like every other team-based PvP game? Great, okay.
>>
>still no island troll tribes for dota 2
>>
>>319508661
It's because you are a lonely faggot who can't find any friends to play with.
>>
>>319518676
>Spend 2k to rosh very slowly just so you can get an Aegis for 600 gold for yourself and 200 for your team
>All that time to just to get 600 gold

Yeah I'll leave this strat to the dumpster.
>>
>>319519179
Thanks for the tips. I'm gonna work on my mapo skills
>>
File: special feeling in lane.jpg (2 MB, 1777x1000) Image search: [Google]
special feeling in lane.jpg
2 MB, 1777x1000
>>319519238
>>319519480
its not about being efficient its about being fucking awesome. Huge advantage in early team fights as well that the enemy cant really prepare for
>>
>>319519671
What prepare for a jug that has a scary Helm of Dom and boots? Sure if you say so.
>>
>>319519671
How long does it take you to rosh? You're giving yourself up to 600 gold and your team 200 gold. That sounds great on paper but you can farm 600 gold quicker if you're not an autist.
>>
>>319509897
Why are retards like these allowed to post on this website?

You don't know anything.
The depth of a game can be defined as how hard it would be to write an AI that can consistently beat humans at it. This implies a statement about how hard it can be for humans to understand the game. And you bet that such an AI won't exit in our lifetimes.

Feel free to post MMR/dotabuff though :^)
>>
>>319519671
maybe when youre ursa sure
youre wasting a really strong early game kit to kill rosh

jugg can kill heroes effectively with just phase boots
>>
>>319519740
A jug that can get his phaze if he hasnt gotten then already in 20 seconds, has super early aegis, healing ward leveled, and probably a point in his ult and spinning not bkb. Yes that will throw the enemy for a loop.
>>319519825
varries on items, phaze boots really helps with the crit damage. Defintily not as fast as Ursa but I can probably kill him in under 2 minutes. This isnt some l33t strat its just something he can do that most people dont take into account, and thats why its fun to pull.
>>
>>319519298
It wasnt that good. I want castle fight and best ever map, Tropical Tower wars
>>
>>319520665
>weren't that good
nigga I firmly believe Wilderness Survival and the Troll Tribes games are the best "survival" games there are along with Survival Kids/Lost in Blue

it's fucking sad
>>
>>319521082
>Lost in Blue

Iv always wanted to try that game since I read the artical about it in Nintendo Power rip but never got the chance, how is it?
>>
>>319521290
not aa good as survival kids but aight
>>
>>319509897
I am a long time fps veteran and It took me a good couple hundred hours to stop being shit at a moba
fps games are way more new player friendly and much less knowledge intesive than mobas.

I still prefer my fps games because I dislike the team heavy aspect of mobas

for me fps is the genre I can turn my brains off and let muscle memory carry me
Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 35

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.