[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am conducting a survey based on Ocarina of Time. Please answer
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_mvf1h9P2I41rw70wfo1_500.png (120 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvf1h9P2I41rw70wfo1_500.png
120 KB, 500x500
I am conducting a survey based on Ocarina of Time. Please answer to the best of your ability.

Which of the following is most likely route that a player with intermediate Zelda experience would take on their first time playing Ocarina of Time, having no pretense of an "intended order" upon becoming an adult?

A. Get the Hookshot and beat the Forest Temple.
B. Get the Hookshot and beat the Fire Temple and get double Magic Meter.
C. Run to the Ice Cavern and complete it to get the Zora Tunic, Iron Boots, and Serenade of Water early.
D. Get Epona and head to Gerudo Valley to save the carpenters.
Get the Hookshot, get Epona and save the carpenters, and get Ice Arrows if either of steps B or C have been completed.
E. Get the Giant's Wallet with newly spawned future Gold Skulltulas (if you don't have 30 already, deku scrub) and buy Blue Fire to defrost King Zora so you can get the Biggoron Sword immediately.
F. Get the Hookshot, then walk to Lake Hylia, activate the Scarecrow's Song and go fishing so you can get the Golden Scale.

Thank you for your valued participation in this survey.
>>
b or e
>>
DOH!

One of the options is missing a letter and I can't delete the thread because only mods can now.

Let's call that option G
>>
A
>>
honestly I'm still fucking salty about how effective DYKG's spamming of /v/ and Twitter was to build them into a popular brand in the matter of like a month. turns out all you need is a posting script and a bunch of re-written TCRF bullet points to be successful online
>>
I've always done B since I was a kid and did it that way by accident.
>>
What. I didnt know you could do other dungeons before the forest temple
>>
>>319507918
To be fair, it was at least started by someone with a talent and was also picked up and thrown around by how many fucking lets players now?
>>
>>319508090
it doesn't take any talent at all to steal other people's work, put it in a meme generator, and then spam it on /v/
>>
A probably.

Even if they don't know what the intended order is, I think the NPCs tell you to get the hookshot in kakariko and then go to the forest temple.
>>
A obviously. Sure you might be able to do stuff early but it makes sense to listen to what Sheik says.
>>
>>319507851
>>319507851
DOOOOOOOOOHH!!

OP here, for option G I also meant if BOTH B and C have been completed (technically you just need the Megaton Hammer and Iron Boots).

Don't crucify me, I will do better next time.
>>
>>319507534
A, since that's the one it tells you to do.
Ie. Sheik tells you to go to the Forest Temple, but you can't get in yet, and to go to Kakariko Graveyard to better equip yourself.
Navi tells you the same.
Anything else would be done by people choosing to sequence break.
>>
>>319508860
But that's what Zelda is. A good Zelda at least. A sequence-free adventure game.

Heck, the only reason you even know what sequence the dungeons in Zelda 1, 2 (after the third dungeon), and ALttP are is because they're numbered.

Assuming a player knows this, they have every reason to assume they can do at least some of the Temples Sheik told them about out of order. Quite frankly, it's more bewildering how OoT got pegged with the notion of an intended order or that people forgot (myself being guilty of this).

OP
>>
A. Everything basically screams at you to do A.
>>
A

Anything else is going out of your way.

But doing part of "D" mainly getting Epona first isn't unnatural I think.
>>
>>319509519
Ya'll just asked the most likely, bro. A new player, even a veteran Zelda player is probably going to see "Do the Forest Temple, but first get the Hookshot" and listen to it.

>they have every reason to assume they can do at least some of the Temples Sheik told them about out of order. Quite frankly, it's more bewildering how OoT got pegged with the notion of an intended order or that people forgot
Well, Sheik tells you the "intended" order anyway...
(Forgive me, i can't remember the exact wording, just the order)
>One in a deep forest...
>One on a tall mountain...
>One under a deep lake...
>One within the house of the dead...
>And one within the Goddess of the Sand

Just after that saying that Saria is waiting to be awakened in the Forest Temple, but you should first go to Kakariko, and then later when you get the Prelude of Light (which Navi suggests after the Forest Temple),
>You'll have to travel over mountains, under water, and even through time...

It's pretty clear cut.
>>
N64 OoT or OoT 3D?
Still haven't played it yet, mind that I haven't a N64 so if the answer is that I would have to emulate it
>>
>>319510314
I don't understand your first sentence. And I'm not disputing what Sheik says. And you can only learn the Prelude and get him to step aside after beating the Forest, so obviously there is a suggested order.

What confounds is how people don't know you can beat the Fire Temple, Ice Cavern, or half the Water Temple, save the carpentes first if you so choose.

But then again, I didn't know that you could get into the Shadow Temple with just the Fire Arrows if you skipped Din's Fire until an anon showed me this video and I thought I knew everything about OoT. I can easily beat the game without the Lens of Truth for instance which is easy when you realize you don't really ever need it, and I still... STILL; did not know this was possible.
https://m.youtube.com/v=VOvx2pQy9A4
>>
>>319511719
>What confounds is how people don't know you can beat the Fire Temple, Ice Cavern, or half the Water Temple, save the carpentes first if you so choose.
Because it's not told to you. First time players are going to do what they're most pushed to do.
I'm sure there were some people who went off exploring and did their own thing, but your question was about what was the most likely thing for a first time player.
Plus, there are some restrictions, so people would just think to do it in the intended order if they hit them.
>>
File: OoTDifferences.png (35 KB, 595x509) Image search: [Google]
OoTDifferences.png
35 KB, 595x509
>>319511719
Whoops, messed up my link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOvx2pQy9A4

>>319510913
If you can stand a few changed cutscenes, some wonky animations (Link spins around often whenever a door is open like he's a top, unless you're in first-person for some buggy reason), and dealing with the idea that you will never be able to crouch and any use any shield properly (because something in the controls was changed and Link will face whatever direction you are pointing relative to the camera which moves behind him if you're not targeting, leaving you vulnerable unless you adjust before an enemy attacks but this is only crucial in Master Quest); IF you can deal with that, the game is really the same no matter which version, except the emulated version on the Wii. That will always be the worse.
>>
>>319512009
You're not wrong, but for a game as popular as OoT that sees multiple playthroughs and a speedrunning following, it should be common knowledge. Like that you can skip the Boot in SMB3. I've never even played that game and I know that.
The only thing I could offer is that there aren't restrictions, but there is an instance where you cannot get a Map without the Bow (Fire Temple).

>>319510913
Also, the "improved physics" for puzzles in the image I posted specifically refers to the Water Temple. There's a big room in the original game where you need to swim across as spider things jump at you, while vortexes tug at you from side to side but the physics weren't strong enough to simulate that.
As for cons I just wanted to mention that there's no role for getting the Fire Arrows early. It's probably a game leftover from the beta that they decided to leave in without really thinking about it, which is why it was scrubbed in the 3DS version.
>>
>>319507534
D.
Because the first thing a typical player without any prior knowledge of Ocarina of Time would do upon becoming an adult, is re-visit the areas that you have already been in, but as an adult.
This should make them get the horse. And upon getting the horse they would likely try to get past the places you couldn't get past without a horse.
>>
>>319507534
E all the way
>>
>>319507534
I did D but that was back when I was still new to the series.
>>
>>319507534
Clearly A
>>
>>319507534
well if the player is given no context as to an intended order, what DO they know?
>>
>>319509751
Pretty much. I feel like a first time player would have a much stronger experience if the game wasn't so loud about it, and let the idea that other options are viable be more apparent. You really don't need Navi yelling on your face all the time.
>>
>>319511719
>>319512892
I'm almost certainly the anon that showed you that video. I'm saying this because not only was I just as shocked as you were, but I've never seen this detail mentioned anywhere outside of that particular youtube link itself. If you look up OoT alternate sequences anywhere else on the internet about getting into the Shadow temple, almost everything is about seem-walking to the entrance; you won't see any guide talk about the fire arrow trick.
>>
OoT's guiding is a lose-lose scenario
you either remove sheik's appearance at the temple of time and get some players to explore while getting the rest to be completely clueless and frustrated with where to go
or you keep it in and have the majority be okay with knowing their objective and a few people shout handholding
>>
>>319513749
>You're not wrong, but for a game as popular as OoT that sees multiple playthroughs and a speedrunning following, it should be common knowledge
Yes, but that wasn't the question. Even people who might know that would probably do it in the intended order first, before then going on to sequence breaking.
>>
>>319507534
B
Quick question though, for option D can you even escape without the hookshot if you are captured by the Gerudo?
>>
File: IMG_20151128_001215.jpg (883 KB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_001215.jpg
883 KB, 2592x1944
>>319517260
OP here. Thanks Fire Arrow bro.

Now one in return for you. Did you know that Deku Scrubs spin around in place if you throw a Deku Nut at them again after popping them out?

>>319519828
No. But you don't need to. The Gerudos will throw you out by the carpenter's tent if you do this. Fun fact: they throw you into the river if they somehow catch you as child Link.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.