[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best viewpoint for video games and why is it first
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5
What is the best viewpoint for video games and why is it first person?

Side scroller is second best.

Isometric is third best.

Top view is fourth best.

Third person is worst.

Prove me wrong.
>>
Third person is omnipresent and therefore best.
>>
>>319507275

1st person is more immersive and therefore better.
>>
>>319507561
Yeah I gotta agree with anon here. Nothing is more immersive than looking around in 95% of first person games and realizing YOU'RE JUST A FUCKING FLOATING CAMERA
>>
>>319508538

kek

Still more immersive than watching a movie of your character from a camera floating behind.
>>
Second person.
>>
>>319507561
1st person lets you see those jaggies better.
Literally the worst.
>>
>>319508956

>things consolekuks say
>>
>>319507150

Yeah, being a floating pair of hands is sooo immersive us gamers amirite?
>>
>>319508538
>>319509215

If you can't see how viewing the world through the eyes of your character is the best way to immerse yourself in the game world, and if your only reply is to point out obvious technical issues (which normal people are perfectly able to suspend their disbelief of), you are fucking autistic.
>>
File: Talos_2015_12_05_15_35_49_541.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Talos_2015_12_05_15_35_49_541.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
I like first person the most too. Third person is fine sometimes though. Don't really like side scrollers. Isometric is nice for RPGs but most other games would benefit from another view. What games even use a completely top view? That alien game Valve released does I guess but I don't think it's used much.

GTAV's first person is pretty poor though. The viewmodels are way too large and the fov maxes out too low. It looks nice mostly though.
>>
>>319509598
>What games even use a completely top view?

The first 2 GTA games.
>>
>>319509598
>What games even use a completely top view?
hotline miami
>>
Depends on game but generally I hate first person and opt for third when I can.
>>
File: Postal2_2014_07_26_15_36_00_292.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
Postal2_2014_07_26_15_36_00_292.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1200
>>319510457
>>319510842
I guess I'm retarded but when I was making that post I couldn't think of much of any.
>>
>>319507150
>What is the best viewpoint for video games and why is it first person?
Kek, no.

I don't necessarily HATE the first-person viewpoint but I do think it's severely overrated and I'm not really in love with it. I'd rather play a game in the third-person most of the time, since I feel like there's more types of gameplay readily available to the developer with a third-person viewpoint.

In fact, I can't think of many first-person games that really justify its use of a first-person camera. To be fair, the ones that do, like Metroid Prime, Mirror's Edge, REALLY do so. Those games are immersive as fuck with the first-person view. But most first-person games are in the FP view b/c it's popular, thus devs and audiences alike really like it, and that's it pretty much.
>>
Fps are the only games where there no camera problems.
>>
>>319511256

So you don't like it because you think too many other people do.

Right.

Literally a viewpoint hipster.
>>
>>319511256
You can do most types of games that third person games usually are in first person. You just have less spatial awareness so it might make them harder.
>>
>>319511397
So you don't know how to read then? You have no reading comprehension at all?
>>
>>319507150
>Top view is fourth best

Top view is fucking atrocious, if you played any of the original GTAs you would know that
>>
>>319511450
Name more than 5 first-person games with a focus on melee combat then. Name 5 more that are actually good.
>>
How do people become "immersed" in fiction?
I have never understood how anyone outside of a complete retard could delude themselves into thinking they are somewhere else doing something different. Doesnt stop at vidya though, horror films and shit have always given me the same impression.
>>
>>319511676

Maybe because you can only define the word "immersed" as its illogical extreme like some autismo.
>>
>>319511645

Daggerfall
Morrowind
Oblivion
Skyrim
Dishonored
>>
Third person is best. You can look at your character that way. Isometric perspective and side scrolling are indieshit crutches.
>>
>>319511645
Honestly most games have shit melee anyway regardless of viewpoint. Exceptions are shit like DMC and similar games which I can admit even though I don't like them. I'm sure there are no first person games with combat similar to DMC but some games like Condemned and Dark Messiah of Might and Magic try and go further than other games do.
>>
>>319511827
I dont understand it at all anon. I play shit because I find the gameplay fun. it doesnt register with me at all how anyone even begins to feel immersed in anything that isnt reality
>>
>>319511971
none of the combat in those are good.
Dishonored had potential with the teleporting and possesion though
>>
>>319507150
in a cartoonish world 3rd person is great, however that is if the character has plenty of expressions since the player could zoom in the camera and cool animations to show. Side scroller should also have good animations but since you don't have control of the camera you can get away with few facial expressions.

First person is amazing for more realistic looking games, you feel like you're there in some way and you can hide shitty animations if you didn't make good ones which is a plus.

Top view is probably best paired with 2d games where you don't need to compensate, though you could make it 3d but move the characters in 2 dimensions.

Isometric I personally don't like it now, but a decade or more ago when 3d wasn't still possible in consoles, isometric was a great alternative to give the illusion
>>
>>319512047
Immersion doesn't necessarily mean that the person believes they're the character. Immersion to me is just feeling like you're in a functioning world. Which even among first person games isn't really done all the time.
>>
>>319507150

Third Person is better because you can see who is attacking you from behind

First Person is just a massive blindspot
>>
>>319512325
That's part of the fun. You don't have an extraordinary viewpoint letting you see everything. You actually have to pay attention to the world around you.
>>
I was the blight of chivalry when I still played because I played only with zweihander and third person.

Didnt go crazy with the swinging around like some people do as I later found out.

Not using third person just seemed like gimping yourself as this>>319512325 anon pointed out.
Didnt know people got butthurt about it till I had moved on to other shit to play though. I liked one of the polehammer or halberd weapons to though
>>
File: The Messiah.jpg (32 KB, 530x298) Image search: [Google]
The Messiah.jpg
32 KB, 530x298
"Why not have both?"
>>
>>319512325
that's actually a strong point of first person. It can make the player get surprised and there to be a feeling of suspense and fear when needed because you don't know what's behind you.

In third person you can even see what's around the corner, which can be outright cheating at times like in the new battlefront where you're gimping yourself if you're not in third person.
>>
3rd person = easy mode
1st person = only for real mens
>>
>>319511971
Fucking kek

>>319512021
With the first-person view point, there's just some things that you can't really do as you could with a third-person viewpoint.
>>
>>319514548
Like?
>>
First person for actual gameplay.
Third person for sex mod.
>>
Maybe that would be the case if immersion was the be-all and end-all of video games.

It is nothing of the sort.
>>
Third person is much more versatile
>Playing platformers or TB-RPGS in first person
STOP
>>
>>319507150
>why is it first person?
Maybe if you're a manlet. FPS view is always too short and it breaks immersion.
>>
>>319511971
>>319511645
Mirror's edge, Chivalry, Zeno Clash 1/2, Breakdown, Dead Island, Red Steel 2, Bioshock 2, Berserker in Killing Floor, That warhammer l4d clone, l4d 2, Riddick: Dark Arena, Dark Messiah, Penumbra series, Condemned, King's field, System shock
>>
>>319515792
Turn based in first person could be cool I think. I'm surprised nobody's tried it yet, at least that I know of. First person platformers are hardly rare but it really depends on what you want to do which you should pick. I was actually thinking of CP2077 perhaps having turn based fighting in first person but it won't happen.
>>
>>319508790
Nigger kill your self

First person is the worst tier

3rd person is the best followed by top down for all those comfy old school JRPG's
>>
ITT: Opinions
>>
>>319507150
Sounds like the opinion of some idiot child who grew up on shooters.
>>
>>319514715
Beat 'em up gameplay
Seamless transition from shooting to melee combat ala Resident Evil, Vanquish, Kid Icarus: Uprising
Crazier gameplay in general like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden
Proper fighting game gameplay
>>
>>319517257
>Beat 'em up gameplay
Beat-em-ups are usually sidescrolling more or less right? That's not third person.

>Seamless transition from shooting to melee combat ala Resident Evil, Vanquish, Kid Icarus: Uprising
What's stopping you? Just because no games do it doesn't mean it's impossible with the viewpoint. Just have the lmb do a melee attack and the rmb shoot whatever gun you have equipped or a similar layout on a controller.

>Crazier gameplay in general like Devil May Cry, Ninja Gaiden
Again, not seeing the issue with doing this other than the area you can see is smaller and that would just make it harder, not impossible to do.

>Proper fighting game gameplay
Fighting games also aren't third person in the same vein as most third person games. In fact people shit on "fighting games" like those DBZ games that are in over the shoulder third person.
>>
>>319517642
>Beat-em-ups are usually sidescrolling more or less right? That's not third person.
They can be in 3D. See: God Hand, Anarchy Reigns, Batman: Arkham.

>What's stopping you? Just because no games do it doesn't mean it's impossible with the viewpoint. Just have the lmb do a melee attack and the rmb shoot whatever gun you have equipped or a similar layout on a controller.
Meh

>Again, not seeing the issue with doing this other than the area you can see is smaller and that would just make it harder, not impossible to do.
I suppose it could be done BUT, you'd lose a large part of the spacing and positioning that's necessary in those sorts of games, due to the camera. It would have to be done completely different due to the first-person camera. I'd like to see someone try, not to mention your inputs are (probably) going to have to be completely different. Every input that goes into those sorts of games is going to feel super awkward in the first-person.

>Fighting games also aren't third person in the same vein as most third person games. In fact people shit on "fighting games" like those DBZ games that are in over the shoulder third person.
3D Arena fighters, brah. See: Pokken Tournament, Dissidia Final Fantasy, Naruto: Ultimate Ninja Storm.
>>
>>319518437
>>What's stopping you? Just because no games do it doesn't mean it's impossible with the viewpoint. Just have the lmb do a melee attack and the rmb shoot whatever gun you have equipped or a similar layout on a controller.
>Meh
Actually I just realized: with the first-person viewpoint, you'd lose a lot of the awareness of the situation around you, meaning you couldn't, i.e., melee an enemy close-by, while also turning the camera around to focus on another nearby enemy, to ensure that you could dodge if it comes close or whatever. And that's just an example. A game like that would have to be balanced entirely differently.
>>
>>319518437
>They can be in 3D. See: God Hand, Anarchy Reigns, Batman: Arkham.
If those are the kinds of games you're talking about I don't see why it can't be done.

Most of this is about not having as much awareness as having a camera in the sky showing you everything. You're right that they would have to be made and balanced differently but I still don't see any reason they would be impossible to do. It would just be different. Just like how Thief and Splinter Cell are different despite being part of the same genre and having somewhat similar mechanics.
>>
>>319512575
Fuck you Todd, why didn't you add top view in your games?
>>
FOV 150 or GTFO
>>
>>319518746
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jvuY87DRgE

This kind of shit could never be done in the first-person.
>>
>>319519103
You still sound like you're attributing not having been done to impossible. I've already admitted the spacial awareness thing is something that needs to be taken into account so it of course won't be the exact same but I still see no reason you couldn't get shit like that in first person. It's just games like that have already cemented themselves in third person.
>>
>>319507561
1st person makes you unaware of your own body position and immediate surroundings, though. It's very unnatural in its own way.
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.