[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fuck all this "semi-realistic" "newtonian"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4
File: DIacIhK.jpg (799 KB, 3840x2160) Image search: [Google]
DIacIhK.jpg
799 KB, 3840x2160
Fuck all this "semi-realistic" "newtonian" bullshit, I want me a good old fashioned "Airplanes In Space" space game.

Has there been anything even halfway decent recently? Or, hell, since Rogue Squadron on Gamecube?

Or am I going to have to go back to playing Ace Combat games and making 'pew pew pew' noises when I fire my guns?
>>
Elite Dangerous
Its grindy but you can do a variety of space shit from piracy, mining, trading or exploring.
Bounty hunting might be up your alley
>>
>>319507438
>"semi-realistic" "newtonian" bullshit
>>
>>319507107
SHTMUPs.
>>
>>319507107
There was that one MMO that was free to play and then changed its name and then split into two differently named games, but that was years ago
>>
>>319507107
Use the falken you fag.
>>
>>319509178
I do, it only has like 10 shots though so I gotta make do
>>
You can always return to the classic "ships in space" game, Freelancer.

See ya in space Trenton.
>>
Have you played Freespace yet?
>>
>>319507107
Only things that come to mind that you've probably already played are Strike Suit Zero/Infinity and Strike Vector
>>
>>319507492
just keep flight assist on and it's planes in space silly goose
>>
>>319509848
Never heard of Strike Vector, and I'd assumed Strike Suit Zero was a mecha game going by the name, I'll check them out!

>>319509550
>>319509672
I'm not quite sure how I forgot freelancer was a thing, considering I played it for 4 months solid and totally burned out on it

>>319510191
...and still fly downwards and backwards all the time because good luck getting your guns on target otherwise. Yeah, no, it's not what I'm looking for.
>>
>>319510430

Nigga I said Freespace, not Freelancer. Freelancer is a free roaming game with shitty combat. Freespace is mission-based and has actual fun and challenging combat.
>>
>>319510585
And newtonian physics which OP said he does not want
>>
>>319510430
Strike Vector is crazy fast multiplayer dogfights and shit, strike suit zero thing is essentially the powerup for your ship that turns it into a mech for a short period of time that does absurd amounts of damage and what not. Then back to fighter mode. Strike Suit Infinity is wave based survival and Strike Suit Zero is mission based.
>>
>>319510675

Freespace does not have newtonian physics dumbass
>>
>>319510759
You've never actually played Freespace, have you?
>>
>>319509848
>>319510702
Just had a look at some gameplay videos, and Strike Suit Zero was pretty much what I was looking for. I can just ignore mecha mode, right?
>>
>>319510821

I should be asking you that question. What makes you think Freespace has newtonian physics in the first place?
>>
>>319511217
Yup. Not mandatory at all, handy for clearing enemies and all that but not forced except for the very last level.
>>
>>319507107
E: D is pretty much airplanes in space. Any Newtonian physics it has are so neutered compared to Elite 2 it might as well be Wing Commander 5.
>>
There's Macross 30 for PS3 and several games for Vita. It's in Japanese only because of Whoremoney Gold's cockblocking Macross in the US.
>>
>Playing airplanes in space when you can play airplanes in air with some actual semblance of depth
>>
>>319510821
Freespace isn't "Newtonian flight", moron. There's no gliding, a max speed based on constant engine output, near instant speed adjustment based on throttle, and airplane style turning control. Aka a paradigm case of "airplanes in space".
>>
>>319507107
Freespace 2 SCP mod campaigns are basically the only space dogfighting game in town
>>
why hasnt anyone suggested STAR WARS™ Battlefront™ © 2015 Electronic Arts Inc. developed by DICE™

http://starwars.ea.com/starwars/battlefront
http://www.ea.com
http://www.dice.se
>>
>Tfw no good military hard science fiction game where everything is proper and realistic but gritty at the same time and you constantly have to worry about shit like depressurization and pulling too high of Gs trying to avoid a computer operated drone and all that shit
>No ground based exoplanet missions where you are on a cold dead rock, making sure you don't step in a puddle of liquid helium and cause it to creep up your exosuit and hit the heat exchangers and suddenly expand as fast as an explosion from the mild temperature difference
>You will never fear for your life that the slightest thing would kill you horribly and quickly while in a video game

;_:
>>
File: Orbiter2012Arrow81.jpg (294 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Orbiter2012Arrow81.jpg
294 KB, 1920x1080
>>319517915
I feel your pain. I think Independence War came closest, but it's still a far cry from what could be.
>>
>>319517915
A hard sci-fi game wouldn't have you exploring dangerous planets on foot, you would just send a probe. And your space battles would be you looking at readouts and plotting attack trajectories, and that would mostly be handled by computers too.
>>
>>319517915
>hard science fiction game
>space fighters are a dumb idea so they don't exist
>FTL doesn't exist
>all warfare is drone based
>>
File: bort.jpg (25 KB, 215x266) Image search: [Google]
bort.jpg
25 KB, 215x266
>>319507107
>Fuck all this "semi-realistic" "newtonian" bullshit, I want me a good old fashioned "Airplanes In Space" space game.
fuck off you goddamn troglodyte
>>
File: Leviathan_Wakes_(first_edition).jpg (1 MB, 1775x2790) Image search: [Google]
Leviathan_Wakes_(first_edition).jpg
1 MB, 1775x2790
>>319519659
>>319519495
>>319518060
>>319517915
You guys should read this. It's got some great concepts for near hard sf space combat and the description of battle from inside the ship so visceral I could almost feel it.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.