[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where did the meme that this is a good game start? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4
File: Half-Life_2_cover[1].jpg (67 KB, 300x428) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life_2_cover[1].jpg
67 KB, 300x428
Where did the meme that this is a good game start?

It's an over glorified tech demo for the steam engine. The game stops you from playing it multiple times per level to stack bricks and shit because WOAH PHYSICS. An absolutely giant part of the game is spent in a horribly coded floaty vehicles covering absolutely barren un-detailed areas. The guns are pretty shitty, probably to promote you to use the gravity gun, but the gravity gun is one of the most boring weapons ever designed, and makes the entire game a slow tedious pick thing up shoot thing pick thing up shoot thing.

And on top of all that, it's primary reason for being made was to sell the steam engine, and it didn't even do that people ended up using unreal engine for nearly every single game where an engine was purchased.

I guess some people will subjectively say muh story. It's just "MUH SPACE ALIENS UR THE ONLY ONE THAT CAN STOP THEEEEEM!!!"

>inb4 muh spoopy zombie town.
Oh you mean the 5 minute section of the game with like ten zombos tops that shamble super slow?
>inb4 muh end super power weapon so cool!!
You mean how the entire payoff of the entire game getting to fight through the tower is robbed from you and they just give you god mod for it?
>inb4 ;_; not all zombies slow what about those fast zombo and the poison crabs!!
The poison does actually one damage. It actually heals you for the entire damage it did minus one point nearly instantly. If you died to that you might be bad.
>>
File: 142928378626.jpg (243 KB, 630x629) Image search: [Google]
142928378626.jpg
243 KB, 630x629
>I judge 11 year old game by modern standards aren't I so fucking cool even though I was smashing drool covered action figures together when the game was contemporary
>>
>>319506625
Half life 2 was released along side FarCry, Grand theft auto Sanandreas, Halo2, Doom 3, kotr1, metal gear solid 3, star wars battlefront....

This was not a "Good game for its time" this was released alongside some pretty fucking amazing games that were pioneering new game mechanics and stories in games. Take off your fucking rose tinted glasses. This wasn't good for it's time.
>>
>>319506140
>Steam engine
Bait.
>>
>>319507019
>pioneering new game mechanics and stories in games
lel
>>
>>319506140
>>319506625
in 2015 you still see half life 2 on toplists for best pc game ever. talk to people in 2015 and people will tell you this is their favorite game. its a very valid criticism, the videogame community are filled with circle-jerkers
>>
>>319507270
I mean, are you seriously going to argue mgs3 wasn't a huge video game milestone that people still callback to today?

All the other games listed there are pretty amazing in their own right, but i'd like to see you try and explain why ant of those games shouldn't be on the list.
>>
>>319506140
>The game stops you from playing it multiple times per level to stack bricks and shit because WOAH PHYSICS

This isn't true.

>An absolutely giant part of the game is spent in a horribly coded floaty vehicles covering absolutely barren un-detailed areas

Nor is this.

>The guns are pretty shitty, probably to promote you to use the gravity gun

This is true.

>but the gravity gun is one of the most boring weapons ever designed, and makes the entire game a slow tedious pick thing up shoot thing pick thing up shoot thing.

I find this untrue.

>it's primary reason for being made was to sell the steam engine

Heh.

>Oh you mean the 5 minute section of the game with like ten zombos tops that shamble super slow?

Hyperbole is fun.

>You mean how the entire payoff of the entire game getting to fight through the tower is robbed from you and they just give you god mod for it?

What?
>>
>>319506625
>a game being old is a valid excuse for it being poorly designed
nice try faggot
hl1 is miles better than hl2 despite being 6 years older
hl2 is a boring slog by any year's standards
>>
>>319507849
I mean, it actually does stop you for physics puzzles every level, you can say "that isn't true" but it is.
>>
>>319507019
>FarCry
literal tech demo
>Grand theft auto Sanandreas
Rehash. Only consolefags could enjoy retarded mission based gameplay of GTA and modern farcrys. The gameplay mechanics are so shallow, you exhaust them in an hour.
>Halo2
lel
> Doom 3
Tech demo, everybody hated that game.
>kotr1
worst classic bioware game
>metal gear solid 3
Movie
>star wars battlefront
rehash of battlefield vietnam
>>
>>319507019
And it was better than all of those games

>>319506625
HL2 is good for todays standards. Fuck, i wish modern game devs could design shit like that again.
>>
>>319508208
simply ebic.
>>319508234
Name a good design aspect from it.
>>
>>319508204

No, it is not true that the game stops you to "stack bricks and shit." Let alone every map. They're usually something like Gordon fighting through the outpost in the Water Hazard chapter and shooting the explosive barrel which causes the girders to crash through the gate.

It's hyperbolic nonsense that detracts from the REAL issues with the game. Namely the absurdly low difficulty compared to Half-Life 1. Otherwise it's the video game I've played more than any other video game in my life for its absolutely stunning and unmatched atmosphere 10 years on.
>>
>>319506140
you weren't even old enough to go outside alone when this game came out. I don't think you should be labeling it in 2015 as a tech demo.
>>
>>319506140
Kill yourself :^)
>>
>steam engine
stopped reading right there
>>
>>319508782
I was in freshmen year highschool. I was over at my friends house and made him do the entire science fair project by himself while I played single player games.
>>
>>319508352
>Name a good design aspect from it.
no
>>
File: Vamp.webm (3 MB, 837x450) Image search: [Google]
Vamp.webm
3 MB, 837x450
>>319506140
>Where did the meme that this is a good game start?
Critic and player reviews in 2004. I guess you could say they don't matter but it was a well received game on release.

>>319507569
MGS3 didn't do anything new. It just improved on the MGS formula. And 2 is miles better anyway. 2 was the real landmark in the MGS series. Imagine going from how MGS1 looks to MGS2. And this was in 2001.
>>
FACT: Fallout 4 is literally Half Shit 2 done right.
>>
>>319508981
>MGS3 didn't do anything new

As someone who enjoys MGS2 more, MGS3 did allow for a variety more ways to tackle enemies than MGS2 did. The environments were more varied, it was all around a p. decent upgrade to MGS2's gameplay.

>>319509098

What the hell is the matter with you?
>>
>>319509098
Man, I dont even know what the fuck that is supposed to mean.
>>
>>319509180

I know my shit, Fallout4 did the post apocalyptic scenario done right and with better gameplay, features, companions, etc. than Half Shit 2.

>>319509221

How about you actually play a good game, you sperglord?
>>
>>319509098
Please stop acting the fool as a bethdrone.
New Vegas is not THAT good. Give it a rest
>>
>>319506140
this is the lowest quality troll bait i've seen in a while. all you want are angry responses.
>>
>>319508981
>2 was the real landmark in the MGS series

This man speaks the truth.
>>
>>319509342
Stop.
>>
this is such lazy trolling
>>
I didn't really enjoy that game. Tried to play it for 16 hours just to see what's so great in it, then I just dropped it because i didn't have fun. HL2 feels more like work or chore than a game, there's lots of better games out there so I'm not gonna bother trying this one ever again.
>>
>>319509342
>I know my shit, Fallout4 did the post apocalyptic scenario done right

They both aimed to do different things. Fo4 being an open-world RPG and HL2 being an FPS. This is apples and oranges man.
>>
>>319509412
agree
>>
>>319506140
uhh, it's about to be 2016, nobody thinks hl2 is good anymore
>>
>>319508981
>>319509180
>>319509412
I can agree that mgs2 was a huge milestone for the series but just because the jump between 2 to 3 wasn't as big as 1 to 2 doesn't mean it wasn't legit.
>>
>steam engine

Bait

The engine is called valve, fucking ignorance will get you ignored
>>
>>319509561

Well yes I agree. That's why I said MGS3 improved shit.

>>319509560

John Oliver go away.
>>
File: rapepotato.png (23 KB, 515x500) Image search: [Google]
rapepotato.png
23 KB, 515x500
this thread is bait but it's honestly impossible to understand the sort of impact playing this game for the first time had when it was released. there wasn't really anything else like it. it's just unfortunately one of those games that really only works as long as what it does well (environment) is something that's still new. once you've already played the game or you're playing it after having played all the sorts of games that have come out since, a lot of what made it so impressive and absorbing doesn't really stand out any longer. huge, expansive and interactive environments aren't impressive anymore, and that was really one of the main things that made half-life 2 so impressive and engaing
>>
Doesn't Half Life also get praise for the scripted sequences for... no reason?
>>
>>319510023
Most of /v/ is too stupid to understand how to appreciate things for their time. In the context of a game released in fucking 2004 it's really impressive. I still think it holds up incredibly well, personally.
>>
>>319510065
they get praised because they're a good, clean way of presenting the plot
>>
I want a Half Life 3 game to be set outside City 17, on another continent with you fighting in the anti-Combine resistance there
>>
>>319506625
I was an adult when it came out and I played it on release day. I found it very underwhelming, nowhere near as good as the first game.
>>
>>319510284
being technically impressive and innovative doesn't negate any of the gameplay issues
>>319510286
they were good in 1, seriously overused in 2
>>
>>319508981
Well you obviously just dont pay attention when you play games. The direction they took in telling the story was comletely different, the themes they exlored were nothing that the industry had seen yet. /spoilers An example of this is Kojima breaking down our image of a perfect strong-soldier-tough-guy, from the inside, with a female that just toys with snake's emotions to get what she wants. And then another female, his mentor, that completely betrays him and begs drastic action from snake that hurls him into loneliness. /spoilers (dont know if I did that right but I tried). Also, that is a great example where gender issues were used to effectively push a plot foward, enhancing it, rather than encumbering it with stupid social agendas.

MGS3 also introduced a new line of sight system for the guards, giving them a realistic view, instead of a tiny limited cone that has been in use since Metal Gear. This was a result of them progressing fowards in their concepts of level design, which was also something new brought to the table. They began exploring wide open environments of the jungle that forces the player to traverse zones in a completely different way than 2. Sadly, they didnt build upon this effectively untill MGS5, but that doesnt detract from what was accomplished in 3.

Also perfecting what MGS2 built is something to be impressed at. The excuse of judging the game by modern standards isnt relevant when you see what games were able to do during and before the release of HL2.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.