[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people like Skyward Sword's combat again? It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7
File: RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss08_E3.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
RVL_ZeldaSS_08ss08_E3.png
2 MB, 1600x900
Why do people like Skyward Sword's combat again? It's so fucking boring, you just do the same shit all game except you get to see Link swing in the same direction you do.

For fucks sake it's so shallow MGR included its whole combat system as just another feature.
>>
boring relative to tapping a repeatedly, which is the combat for most non-action rpg games? i don't think so.
>>
>>319468695
Skyward sword is basically just simon says. They dumbed it down so that items are useless and enemies are always clearly open. Each fight is a glorified QTE
>>
it required you to do something outside of mashing the a button
something that's pretty rare for a zelda game
>>
>>319468986
At least the N64 games required you to take into account your positioning or raise and lower your shield at the right times.
>>
>>319468983
every fight prior was exactly the same except instead of directional swings it was pressing B when the enemy's guard was down.

The combat in zelda was just a step up from metroid's in the sense of it hardly needing to be there and skyward sword at least tried to add some gameplay to it that was more complex than strafing, waiting, and pressing b.
>>
>>319467971
Playing through it right now for the first time and really enjoying the motion plus sword play. It may not be difficult but damn its fun, probably because it works well and is refreshing which is something you dont get to say often about modern video games.
>>
>>319469152
>required you to take into account your positioning or raise and lower your shield at the right times.

>positioning
Stay close to the enemy always, there's literally no common enemy attack that goes through your shield, at most you'll have one enemy who has to finish his attack animation to get hit, in which case you should take one step back

>raise and lower your shield at the right times
Keep it always raised until the enemy is about to attack or has just finished attacking, then press B

I remember the shitstorm when TP made it so you were always raising your shield, but truthfully it changed nothing in how the combat played out.
>>
File: 1391718184669.png (17 KB, 139x240) Image search: [Google]
1391718184669.png
17 KB, 139x240
>>319467971
But OP, very few people like the combat in that game, almost everyone bashes on the combat mechanics. I thought they were fun, sure, they were slow, but It wasn't really annoying, and if you are good you can finish some slow fights faster.
>>319469152
Skyward sword literally requires you to perfect shield so your shield lasts, well that until you get the hylian shield but that's almost endgame.
>>
>>319469274
It had been advancing from OOT. In wind waker you had the counter, TP had you learning several different skills which were all useful. The next evolution of this should have been making learning the skills mandatory, so that there could be enemies that could be killed only through use of a certain skill.

>skyward sword at least tried to add some gameplay
It added a shitty gimmick so people would buy the wii motion plus. It was always completely obvious on how to kill each enemy, and you do pratically the same thing each time, just swing in a direction. It was also too forgiving, starting you at 6 hearts against enemies that did quarter heart damage. The worst thing was when enemies started instantly moving their weapon to parry your attack even though you had just attacked in the place where they were open. The motion controls were shit too, they work maybe 9/10 times.
>>
>>319469730
>Keep it always raised until the enemy is about to attack or has just finished attacking, then press B
Don't enemies attack far more often if you have your shield down?
>>
It's such wasted potential, what everyone expected was fluid slicing. What we got was

>Attack vertically
>NO NO, now attack horizontally
>OH jeez man he's blocking that way now, vertically once more
>repeat
>>
Why is the 3rd imprisoned fight annoying as hell
>>
File: 1358375775759.png (327 KB, 495x498) Image search: [Google]
1358375775759.png
327 KB, 495x498
>>319467971

What a terrible post. You've oversimplified the game into something it isn't just because you didn't like it.

You can say the same for literally every game ever made, it's such a shitty argument.
>>
>>319471167
I know for experience that Dark Link in OoT blocks less or rather cannot block, im not sure, if you are not targeting. Im pretty sure it also works with stalfos.
>>
>>319471635
Ok, try and make the same argument for bayonetta.
I really can't understand why people defend this trash.
>>
>>319471635
What else is there to the combat? The enemy telegraphs an opening and you slice in that direction. The only other moves are shit like Skyward Strike which isn't relaly viable mid fight and still operates under the same formula.

Shit literally has its entire combat system within another game that isn't even considered that deep for its genre. It's just sad.
>>
>>319471520

That fight was the first fight to make me vocally rage and turn off the game since.....ever actually. I never did that as a kid now that I think about it.
>>
Skyward Sword makes the worst possible use of motion controls but having those fucking simon says bokoblins EVERYWHERE

Enemies that just take damage anywhere? fine.
Enemies that have to be sliced certain ways to kill them? Fine.
Enemies that hide behind their fucking shields doing literally nothing but move them around and being cunts? no.
Enemies that hide behind their fucking shield doing literally nothing but instantly changing the angle they're blocking from the moment you try to hit them from what was previous the correct angle? NO.
The above but they're electric and you take damage when you hit their shield which they always instantly use to block your attacks 99% of the time? FUCK OFF.

At the very least, combat get much better once you acquire the bow and you can just fucking shoot any nigger that has the gal to lift up a shield.
>>
File: image.png (436 KB, 1136x640) Image search: [Google]
image.png
436 KB, 1136x640
>OP
>>
>>319471849

>All you have to do is attack the enemy to win

>>319471880

Not every enemy telegraphs an opening. Some enemies require attacking until they become vulnerable, then you flank and attack to kill them. Some require well timed shield parries. Some require tricking the enemy by pretending to swing from one side but then swinging from the other. Some require item usage. Some require dodging then countering.

MGR blade time isn't the same as SS combat. Stop saying this.
>>
File: ItNeverEnds.jpg (60 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
ItNeverEnds.jpg
60 KB, 600x600
>yfw you let the meter run out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8_LJN-dxtc
>>
>>319471635
>>319472183
Care to contest it instead?
>>
>>319472520

Already did.
>>
>>319472379
>Some enemies require attacking until they become vulnerable, then you flank and attack to kill them.
What enemies?
>>
>>319472734

The Imprisoned for a start.
>>
>>319472506
All the tension gets destroyed once you realize that they actually move very slightly slower than you and you can evade them indefinitely fairly easily
>>
>>319472520
Oh no, I'm not arguing, the game is terrible. Just seems like wasted breath.
>>
>>319472506

Favorite part of the game. Felt very MGS. I wish this could replace TP's garbage ass wolf segments.
>>
>>319471897
>Try to chase after the toes
>Get Hit

>Miss the Launch onto his head once
>Lose

>tfw his electric stomps sent me over the edge into the pit
>flew right back up and he immediately does it again

Good thing Groose was there to stun him because after getting one foot makes the fight much easier
>>
Skyward Sword combat was great. I'm glad they switched it up. It was getting kinda boring having the same system for 4 games in a row.
>>
>destroyed ship lost in the desert as a dungeon
>awesome fucking idea
>expect the boss to be some awesome sand golem or mech since this dungeon utilized the past/future thing
>monsters inc reject
>>
>>319472379
now try playing bayonetta while running up to every enemy and pressing attack. The argument actually applies to SS.
>>
>>319473503
Is Simon says your favourite game?
>>
>>319473871
The best part about that fight was slashing away all those shark tentacles one after another as they swarmed you from the front. Plus it made use of skyward strike
>>
>>319474187
>Why do people like Bayonettas combat again? It's so fucking boring, you just do the same shit all game except you get to see Bayonetta do the attack you told her to.
>>
>>319474317

fucking kek
>>
>>319467971
>you just do the same shit all game
What is: Every action game
Every RPG
Every LoZ
Every PC game
Every game ever made

Press A to attack. Press up to jump. Right click to inspect. Left click to attack.

You may get "new abilities" but you use them the same way you use the old ones - left click, press a, press e, whatever.
Every game you've ever played utilizes the same control scheme for the entire game, and it's the same control scheme hundreds if not thousands of games have used before and after.
>>
>>319474317

Like every other zelda game? Just because an enemy has a tell doesn't mean it's all simon says.
>>
>>319469152
>>319469730
>positioning
Jump attack with Biggoron Sword.

>required you to take into account positioning
Jump attack with Biggoron Sword

>raise and lower your shield at the right times
Jump
Attack
With
Biggoron
Sword

The game is so piss easy you don't need your shield at any point other than deflecting attacks back at certain enemies to get them to their defenseless state.

Positioning is exactly the same thing.
>>
File: Bait.png (35 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
Bait.png
35 KB, 625x626
>>319474317
>Press one button to do an action
>More complicated than Simon says

senpai...
>>
>>319474317

>Simon says defeat this enemy
>Simon says you need a key to open this door or chest
>Simon says beat this puzzle to lower this bridge
>Simon says run down this linear hallway to reach the next cutscene
>Simon says level up your character in random battles to be become strong enough to kill the next boss
>Simon says shoot the enemies that appear and reach the end of the level

Every game except some creative sandbox games is fucking simon says you pleb cunt.
>>
File: Ghirahim_Second_Battle.png (278 KB, 583x978) Image search: [Google]
Ghirahim_Second_Battle.png
278 KB, 583x978
>This smug bitch keeps grabbing my sword

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTamRd4n1M
>>
>>319469837
SS had techniques built in. Things like the Finishing Blow were always available, and you could do things like flip a skulltulla by attacking upward from its base. They were always there, you just didn't get a tutorial to teach you, you had to learn on your own.

Or... I guess you never learned? Poor form.
>>
>>319474663
Yes, SS has the same depth as Bayonetta
>>
>>319474712
Good action games have depth to their combat, skyward swords combat is designed around a shitty gimmick
>>
>>319474820
Nope, every Zelda after oot/mm advanced the combat in some way - ww had counter + better animations, tp had several skills to learn. Ss is a clear step back

>>319475580
'Simon says swing up'
'Simon says swing right'
90% of the combat, most enemies were designed around this swing with the Wiimote gimmick.

>>319476141
'Swing in direction' is much less complicated than the things you described dumbfuck

>>319476530
Not as many techniques/as complex ones as in tp though
>Or... I guess you never learned? Poor form.
What kind of retarded could miss that stuff? The game was designed for little kids, that's why they put in fi and the giant flashing button prompts
>>
This game is trash and the motion controls don't even work
>>
>>319469152
Shield bashing is OP actually. Like 90% of the time, if you actually bother to time it correctly, it will successfully deflect an enemy's attack and leave them open for attack.
>>
Does this play alright on the Wii U?
>>
>right handed Link

Didn't play.
>>
>>319481721
Yes its fine although i highly recommend playing on dolphin if your PC is good enough so you can appreciate the amazing art style.
>>
>>319483215
>amazing art style
Lying for no reason isnt funny
>>
>>319479647
>"the game was designed for little kids"
>whines the combat isn't more complicated
>>
>>319481980

Critical autism
>>
>>319484239
The game shouldn't have designed for kids, that's the point
>>
>>319484581
Nintendo usually makes their games, especially bigger franchises, for most ages.
Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.