[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What made these games so fun? It's not the story, it's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: gameplay.png (442 KB, 504x356) Image search: [Google]
gameplay.png
442 KB, 504x356
What made these games so fun?

It's not the story, it's not the graphics, and their gameplay aren't that complex or really much better than other games.
>>
>DM

Fucking around with all the physics shit is fun as hell.
>pick up a barrel and bash some orc over the head with it
>cut another ones head off
>kick the last one off a ledge

>FEAR
Good enemy and environment design. Guns feel satisfying, vaporizing an enemy with a shotgun is fun as fuck, and the slow-mo ability means you can pull off some shit that makes you feel like an unstoppable badass.

You can tell that the developers of both games cared about the product they put out, and as a result a lot of love and care went into them.
>>
>Fear
Fun and satisfying gunplay, graphics are good, it's the art direction and the level design that's really lacking.

>Dark Messiah
Gameplay is really just much better than other games, I can't even think of any other pure singleplayer first person melee game.
>>
>>319459095
Because they were made for pc first
>>
>>319459945
>other pure singelaplayer first person melee game
Not the same thing since it's brawl-only with some weapons, but play Zeno Clash 1/2 anon

You won't regret it.
The environments and writing are an explosion of exotic creativity.
And so many different things you get to punch the shit out of.

Zenozoik is a place of wonders. Remove Golem from the premises
>>
>>319459095
The physics in Dark Messiah was amazingly fun to play with.
>>
>>319459095
you're wrong, the gameplay is better than most other games, thats literally why you enjoy these more

a combination of good animations, controls, and programming results in good gameplay. fear and dark messiah have these. not sure what you're trying to do by saying these game's gameplay dont stand out
>>
>>319459095
I got dark messiah at the recent steam sale, and have been kicking everyone of every ledge possible.
It's been years since I've been this satisfied from a game.
Are there any other games that allow you to kick people off of high places as a viable tactic?
>>
I think they just excell at giving the player choices, which are all fun.

as >>319459886 said, when you're attacked by a bunch of orcs, you can kick them off ledges, throw stuff at them, slash them, freeze the ground and impale them on the ground, kick them on spike walls, put them on fire...If you choose to just melee them with a sword you get adrenaline which lets you go into fucking op mode and decapitate niggaz left and right

In fear you can do that too in a way, and the fact that the guns are really satisfying and solid adds to the experience a lot more combined with the slow motion/bullet time. The shotgun is fucking lethal at most ranges, you can throw a grenade, slow time and shoot it in the air. You can pin assholes to the wall with the rail gun or go akimbo melee assassin with pistols...The AI was pretty fucking good too for the time.

Basicall this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnxgQMSsc8c

and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGHfTnXChcc
>>
>Dark Messiah
Fun with physics. Kicking enemies into shit was so much fun and a nice touch to add to melee combat. The spells took advantage of the physics fun. The story wasn't some overblown shit show that forced you to watch. The pacing was great. Despite re-using some maps the game always had forward momentum.

>FEAR
Atmosphere. Something about the UI static and that "unknown signal" warning you of shit to come was great. Guns were fun, like pinning guys with the nail gun. The way the story presented itself and never stole from the fun of the action was great. Slo-mo shooting never really got old. Alma was fucking creepy. One of the few horror games that is spooky yet gives you a full arsenal to fight.
>>
the movement and responsiveness
how enemies and the environment react to being hit/shot
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.