[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Old game mechanics you miss. >Being able to carry all the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 14
Old game mechanics you miss.

>Being able to carry all the collected weapons in shooting games.

What the fuck started this "Muh realism" 2~ weapon limit bullshit, anyway? Here's a mechanic that existed, not for tech limitations like turn based combat, but rather for pure enjoyment, and somehow developers stopped using it, and generally frown on people asking for it, and I'm genuinely confused as to fucking why.
>>
Halo definitely made it popular, but I'm sure there were games before it that had the same shit.
>>
>>319453620
Yeah, I still don't understand why, though. It especially irks me when its a scifi setting or main character is "powered" Like yeah he can breathe in space, has unlimited stamina, can jump 50 feet, take 500 shotgun shells at point blank range to the face and walk away from it without so much as a headache, but god forbid he carries two different handguns, it might overburden him.
>>
Health packs

Relics that give you powers (sotn)
>>
>>319454161
The two-weapon limit is bad enough on its own, but having a pistol count toward that limit is especially stupid. You can strap a pistol to your leg for fuck's sake. I can understand saying you can only carry two two-handed weapons, like one assault rifle and one rocket launcher, but a pistol should always be available as an emergency weapon or something.

Of course, ideally this two-weapon limit bullshit would go away entirely.
>>
>>319453620
>halo came out the same time quake did
>lol halo ruined everything

It was CoD nigroid.
>>
>>319456641
Remember MGS1? Man I had so much shit in my inventory, I loved it.

These days I rarely even bother playing these kinds of games, and when I do play them I only use the primary weapon because secondary weapon is always low on ammo and quickly replaced by another weapon as far as what shows up during gameplay so even if you don't swap it you'll be finding less and less ammo for it, etc..
>>
>>319453434
Being able to sprint at like 50 mph while lugging around nine weapons and hundreds of rounds of ammo for each
>>
>>319456780
>Halo: Combat Evolved
>2001
>Quake
>1996
Uh...
>>
>>319453434
Think the advent of the console FPS started it. The reason being that you didn't have keys 1-9 or a mouse wheel to select your weapons, you just had one button, so they made it a toggle
>>
>>319458047
This change definitely came before console FPSs.
>>
>>319458190
Fuck off underage.
>>
>>319458047
What? Even in the N64, perfect dark had a wheel to select weapons and you could carry a lot of them
>>
going fast
rocket jumping
health that doesn't regen
super weapons
good ctf
combo weapons
>>
>>319456641
>I don't understand the basics of game design
The Halo weapon limit was put in place because the player needed to choose what weapons would be the most effective and adjust their playstyle as such. Even the Pistol was given a solid purpose since it took up a dedicated weapon slot.

Realism =/= good game design

Games that came after where you just have a choice between a half dozen rifles missed the point entirely
>>
>>319458609
All of which Halo had
>>
>Cheat codes
I don't care if testers don't need manual codes anymore, muh big head mode

>Non recharging health/armor
and by extension
>Health and armor pickups

>hard shit to unlock
collect every single lego in the game pleb
>>
>>319458804
You can blame console babbies for the death of cheat codes, because MUH CHEEVOS.
>>
>>319458804
Lego games were like the last true collectathons but now they're going the MMO route
>>
>>319458902
That doesn't make sense, RDR for example is a console-only release that has Cheat Codes and achievements

Are all you people really so ignorant of vidya that you think the cause of every problem was "CAWNSUHLLS"?
>>
>>319458804

>collect every single lego in the game pleb

I don't know about anyone else but I hate when games force me to check out every nook and cranny because 25% of them have a hidden token thingy. Goldeneye did cheat codes best. Give me a challenge that will test my skills, not my patience like collectathons.
>>
A more realistic carrying limit to weapons should be 3 or 4 instead of a measley 2.

1 back weapon
1 hanging on your side or front
1 side arm
1 extra side weapon if the character can handle a fourth weapon

I never got the two limit.
>>
Keycards

There's literally nothing wrong with them
>>
>>319453434
Consoles started it
>>
>>319456641
Army of Two: 40th day did it right. You have two "big" weapons and 1 pistol.
>>
>>319459143
>realism
>in a video game
No
Also, friendly reminder that the majority of professional soldiers carry exactly one weapon and no sidearm
>>
>>319453434
Health packs

At least The newer Wolfenstein games tried to find a balance between oldschool and modern.
>>
>>319459283
No pistol? No knife?
>>
>>319459143
This plus the talk of cheat codes reminded me that the first Bloodrayne game had a cheat to show all the weapons you were carrying on the character's body. I think their positions even corresponded to a description the manual gave of where she carries all her guns.
>>
>>319456641
Max Payne 3 did it so well. You could either wield a two-handed weapon and holster 2 small weapons, or wield 2 small weapons and drop the big gun.
>>
>>319459449
Pistols are commonly considered officer's weapons; one of the only major mobilized fighting forces to utilize sidearms en masse was the Wehrmacht which heavily influenced their transition to machinepistols.
The policy on knives is more varied, I don't believe most U.S. Military infantry carry them - and even if they did, knives are utility tools not fighting weapons.
>>
>>319458629

I like how this post has no replies but has the genuine response as to why a 2 weapon limit is a good thing.

You people are such cry babies. Fuck all of you retarded posers.
>>
>>319459692
That's still a step back from the first two games that let you carry everything at once.
>>
>>319459837
How exactly is it objectively a step backwards in terms of game design
>>
>>319453434
Isn't it something that just happened as a balance point? Not Gaming Balance but rather given other games had either one gun or as many as you could find, 2 just felt like a nice place.
>>
>>319458743
Halo didn't have rocket jumping.
>>
>>319459837
Sure, but for a game with a heavy focus on a gamepad it was a nice way to handle it.
>>
>>319459775
It might be a good thing for some FPS games, but that's how pretty much all FPS games work now, and some people would prefer an old-school alternative.
>>
>>319453434

Good video games

I haven't played a video game since Dark Souls 2
i dont know why i browse /v/ anymore
main board is /o/ now
>>
I wouldn't mind if there was more freedom.

Why does a pistol take as much room as a rocket launcher?
>>
>>319458743
but halo movement is slow as fuck
>>
I'm dreaming of a FPS with unlimited ammo and unlimited magazine.
>>
>>319460049
Literally dozens of console shooters work fine without the two weapon limit. It has nothing to do with controls.
>>
Wolfenstein 3D started the trend niggers.
>>
>>319459931
I think it's a step back because I think it's more fun to carry a ton of guns around.
>>
>>319459740

Except for every single Marine in the pacific carrying a .45 and a kabar to kill nips sneaking into their foxholes at night
>>
>>319460197
Battlefront rofl, to bad it sucks.
>>
>>319456780
First COD allowed you to carry 4 weapons actually.
2 primaries, a sidearm, and grenades (they were a separate weapon in original COD)
>>
>>319456780
It was Counter Strike.
>>
>>319453434
Tank controls. I miss not having cool camera angles that weren't unhampered by movement controls. I still particularly remember the first alley in Silent Hill, where the camera does this sweeping overhead shot as you turn the corner.
>>
>>319459837

Does it really need to be considered a "step back" ?

I thought the way MP3 handled the weapon inventory was neat. Since every rifle in the game is minus a shoulder sling, it makes sense to hold it in your off hand. I'd honestly rather have that then guns magnetize to his back or something.

There was nothing wrong with being able to carry 'everything' in 1 and 2, I just don't mind the choice they went with in 3.
>>
>>319458047
You can switch between tons of weapons just fine on consoles, Jesus you faggots try to blame everything on them.

Halo made it popular, everyone else followed suit. It suited Halo, having to choose what you would take with you and frequently change it up due to ammo/battery concerns.

Not every game needed to try to be that way, though.
>>
>>319460023
It actually did have rocket/grenade jumps.

>>319460194
You could speed up to the point of absurdity and even change the gravity in custom games. The movement int he campaign is slow but if you wanted some fast vs, you could have some fast vs.
>>
>>319459937
I blame Halo making console FPS sellable. Controllers have have limited buttons. Scrolling through a list of weapons simply does not work in fast-paced games. Hence a two-weapon limit since you need only a single button to switch between them.

Same reason ironsights appears. Not needed in mouse-driven games, (player can simply vary the speed he moves his mouse) two view sensitivties are needed when using a controller. A fast one for quickly looking around and changing directions, and a slow one for precise aiming. Ironsights were introduced to act as this sens toggle, while also appealing to the tacticool fans of which there were many in 00s.

today both are standard shooter tropes and i doubt any modern devs use them for any other reason than "our competitor has it."

tl;dr consoles ruined shooters forever
>>
>>319458902
But Steam has achievements...
>>
>>319461075
Hey, we can like different stuff, that's cool. I just don't like how every game is that way now, and I wish there were some that do it the old way.
>>
>>319461489
>Ironsights

Anyone else find that ironsights actually make it harder to aim, because now you've got your gun blocking most of your view, which is also now zoomed in so you can see even less?
>>
>>319461183
nigga to this day i remember my quake 3 weapon binds. you're never ever going to catch me scrolling through some god damn list.
>>
>>319461514
steam didn't have achievements until the orange box you faggot.

they weren't even patched in to HL2+Ep1 until like 2 years later

fuck off
>>
>>319461995
Usually it add a little zoom that help for aiming.
>>
>>319459143
It was about gameplay, not realism. IDK why peecee fats insist that Halo was trying to be realistic. Constantly swapping out empty plasma weapons for fresh ones and letting an empty power weapon take up one of your precious slots because you know ammo is coming later on Legendary was fun, and mixed things up.

The entire point of the two weapon limit was to do something different from the GOTTAGOFAST shooters of the 90's where you could carry a million weapons. In CE you couldn't move any faster than your enemies, you could only carry two weapons, and you actually had to plan your engagements and use what the game gave you to win. Some areas of that game on Legendary are a fucking whore to this day. It would be easy as shit if you could run at the speed of light and have every weapon at once, but that isn't how the game was designed.
>>
>>319461489
>I blame Halo making console FPS sellable. Controllers have have limited buttons. Scrolling through a list of weapons simply does not work in fast-paced games. Hence a two-weapon limit since you need only a single button to switch between them.
MGS had it figured out pretty early, and its not like quick access wheel is a recent Idea, I think you're just over analyzing the simple fact developers just got lazier.

I think the problem is more in the fact videogames are a multi billion dollar industry, so a lot of people go into game development without realizing everyone but the director makes shit pay on inhumane hours, then ends up doing a half-assed job.
>>
File: Glock.jpg (24 KB, 338x450) Image search: [Google]
Glock.jpg
24 KB, 338x450
>>319460514
On that note, what was the first game to make grenades their own dedicated button, and not take up a weapon slot?
>>
>>319462089
>list

Perfect Dark on the N64 has already been mentioned. No list, just a wheel. Also D-pad hotkeys.

>>319462187
>steam didn't have achievements until 2007 when everyone else got them

Wow you sure showed me.
>>
>>319462339
quick access wheels will never be faster than simply binding a keyboard key to each weapon.

in shooters, the faster guy wins. you would never want to switch weapons if you couldn't do it quickly.

MGS is a single player game, and thus a different beast entirely. none of what I said really applies.
>>
File: 1447265956356.jpg (163 KB, 2000x2000) Image search: [Google]
1447265956356.jpg
163 KB, 2000x2000
>>319461390
>it's fast in customs
>>
>>319462602
lists, wheels, whats the fucking difference? i need more than a single keypress to get the exact weapon i want, correct?
>>
>>319462731
>quick access wheels will never be faster than simply binding a keyboard key to each weapon.
It doesn't have to be, like I said, you're giving people too much credit. we're not talking about multiplayer, and this issue started way before multiplayer was even a thing on console shooters.
>>
>>319454161
Biggest reason was to reduce the amount of buttons console gamers needed to press. So instead of cycling through an inventory or inventory management, one button for swapping.

As halo was designed, from the ground up, to take FPS from a fast, twitch based, complex genre to a slow, simple, and auto-aim based genre, so as to attract the massive demographic that is "retarded people."
>>
File: 1425757673102.jpg (14 KB, 275x269) Image search: [Google]
1425757673102.jpg
14 KB, 275x269
>>319461995
I hate iron sights because the constant change in fov usually associated with them makes me want to vomit.
>>
What the fuck is that giant thing with the drum mag on the bottom left?
>>
>>319462818
It is though. You could set the speed up to about 500% of normal movement and turn the gravity down so that everyone on the map moving like the Flash and super jumping everywhere.

I fail to see your point, all you did was state a fact. You could create a match any way you liked in 3.
>>
>>319453434
Jetpacks.
Cheat codes
Secrets
Health and Armor pickups
>>
>>319462891
Not him, but in Perfect Dark, you hold a button down to bring up the wheel, move the joystick in the direction of the gun you want, and then let go of the button, so no. It only requires one press of a button.

You know, unless you have your joystick bound to buttons, but no one would ever be that silly.
>>
>>319462984
I really think it was the OG console shooter, Halo, and its massive success that caused this particular unfeature to infect the genre as a whole.
>>
>>319453434
What started it was the advent of modern console FPS games. Sometime around Halo: Combat Evolved or so, they got limited to two weapons -- whether this was due to memory limitations or a design choice to do with cycling is unknown, as previous-gen console FPS games (Turok, Goldeneye, etc.) had the full-arsenal approach, but it was likely a design choice.

As FPS games became more popular, they got bigger budgets, and as with anything, a larger budget correlates with reduced risk-taking. When you're spending a lot to make your game shiny and pretty, you can't afford for people to not-buy it. So you have to broaden your audience to get as many buys as possible.

As the FPS genre expanded beyond traditional gamers, they had to be simplified so that people that don't play a lot of games could "get" them. Your average Chad "gets" Call of Duty, being a relatively grounded game with simple mechanics, straightforward levels, and basically a "pick whichever one you like the look/sound of the best" smorgasbord of samey machine guns, of which they will only have two at a time to worry about. But that same person likely would not fully grok Quake or Unreal, with their large arsenals of varied weapons that are specialized and tailored towards specific situations. They certainly wouldn't "get" rocket/grenade/impact hammer jumping.
>>
What's the point of carrying 8 different (but very similar) pistols and assault rifles with you at the same time?
Modern shooters tend to have very boring selection of weapons.
>>
>>319463361
it's about as elegant as it gets, but it still is not a single keypress, anon.
>>
>>319459837
>>319460315
The weapon limit makes more sense for Max Payne as a character, than being able to carry a billion guns. Tossing your rifle aside to go full guns akimbo feels like a MAN WITH NOTHING TO LOSE kind of thing to do.
>>
>>319463439
An assault rifle, a machine gun and a pistol is far enough.
>>
>>319453434
Rise of the Triad in 1994.
Counter-Strike in 1998.
>>
>>319463343
>moving super fast with the console turn rate

uh huh.
>>
I played Dead Rising 2 for the first time and it was a blast, just like the first but improved.
My favorite mechanics were the time and level systems.
>Actual strain on time that can cause you to miss the main story have to restart, forcing you to choose between side missions
>Restarting keeps your stats and lets you play the side missions you missed for higher replayability

I want to go on to the third but it has so many negative reviews and I hear the characters are less interesting, any opinions?
>>
>>319461995

Sometimes it's done well, other times not so much.
>>
>>319462731
You know most games with wheels have a button you can press to quickly toggle between two weapons right?
>>
>>319463361
>it only requires one press of a button
>and a thumbstick movement
>and a second or so for the selection wheel to come up

>>
>>319453434
>cant carry more than 2 weapons at a time because MUH REALISM
>but you will quickly recover from multiple gunshots and explosion wounds within a few seconds of breathing heavily

genius
>>
>>319458047
This is what weapon wheels are for, ex Resistance FoM
>>
>>319453434
Limiting players to 2 weps forces players to choose carefully what weapons they should bring to a particular level. Close quarters? Keep the shotgun, etc.

Also you're less like a walking one man army and have to actually conserve ammo with only two weps. Games like stalker handled this a lot better by giving all weps weight, so you could carry about 2-3 rifles and a pistol with supplies. It's more realistic, and forces you to choose carefully what you grab.

that being said all the greatest shooters let you carry every weapon while still being challenging (Half Life, Wofenstein TNO, etc)
>>
>>319463891
they're too slow for multiplayer.
>>
>>319463835
>Being this super reductionist.
Jesus christ anon, are you this much of a pedantic prick by choice or is it a medical condition making you act like that?
>>
>>319462381

idk, sof or tf
>>
>>319463835
>questions how many keystrokes it takes
>gets an exact answer
>somehow the passage of time counts as a keystroke
Don't be retarded anon. No one was arguing that it was flawless.
>>
Here's a total shot in the dark from a guy who neither designs games nor plays FPS games, but wouldn't this make sense from a level design perspective? If you have to create a level based around 10+ weapons that can be rather difficult to deal with, but if you know for a fact that a guy is only gonna have 2 specific weapons at a given point, then designing an interesting experience would be lots simpler.
>>
>>319463981
They're slow because they're poorly coded. But they will always be slower than a single key press.
>>
>>319463761
sure that sounds real fuckin useful in this rocket arena 3 match where i spawn with like 8 different guns, and i need all of them

wait nevermind that hasn't existed for 15 years nevermind lol silly me
>>
>>319463981
They're really not, you're making up a non-issue to defend a nonsensical design choice.
>>
>>319463953
You mean the limited weapon selection means they don't have to balance the later leves of the game around the assumption the player is a walking armory, and can maintain a consistent level of (low) difficulty throughout.
>>
File: 1448853396428.jpg (58 KB, 368x425) Image search: [Google]
1448853396428.jpg
58 KB, 368x425
>>319462986
>being this bitter

Yeah, let's play the same shit over and over again from the 90's to present day with every shooter just letting us carry 400 weapons and move at the speed of a bullet train. Surely it's so popular that it'll never go anywhere...

>>319463613
Never seemed to cause any problems. Then again, you didn't play it, so you don't know. But I guess just keep your fingers in your ears and the dick in your ass and cling to the 90's like they'll come back.

>>319463953
This was the actual point of the 2 weapon limit. Not realism though, forcing the choice. What to take with, what to abandon. It was a real kick in the dick to drop your empty shotty only to find a pile of ammo later on Legendary. But PC fats will always blame muh realism.
>>
>>319464029
Adding the details you're ignoring is not reductive.
>>
>>319464149
kek, let's have a quake 3 duel where you use no weapon binds, only next/prev weapon. let's see how you do.
>>
>>319464206
Considering console FPS design hasn't changed in 14 years... what?
>>
>>319464287
It is if the detail doesn't exist. Like I said, you're being pedantic for the sake of supporting an argument that isn't real.
>>
>>319461517

Yeah fair enough, I was just saying that I didn't think MP3 was a 'step back' more so then it was a 'different kind of step'

Honestly I think everyones biggest gripe with it was them loading screens disguised inside cut-scenes.

>scene is almost over anway
>oh hey you can skip it now bro !

fuck..
>>
>>319464402
>tfw grew up playing the shit out of Q3A and Unreal on Dreamcast
>tfw tried to do it again recently, and have no idea how they hell I used to be able to play either of those on the Dreamcast controller
>>
Do quicksaves count as a mechanic? Seems like barely any games have them nowadays. It sucks replaying long parts because the checkpoints are too far apart.
>>
>>319464564
So you don't need to hold a button for a second to get the wheel, and you don't need to select from the wheel with the thumbstick?
>>
>>319457572
Being able to sprint without having to press, hold down, or repeatedly tap a button. If Crackdown lets you outrun cars just by pushing an analog stick, why can't other games?
>>
>>319464402
kek next/previous weapon kek is not the same as access wheelkek , your argument makes no sense kek.
>>
>>319464698
my argument is this:

1v1 me fag
>>
>>319464842
>>319464698
keep saying kek, you'll fit in soon!
>>
>>319458804
>muh big head mode
Just Cause 3 has it. So do the Arkham Games post-Asylum. But yeah, things like that are unfortunately rare now. I remember getting all excited when I found out there were cheats for a Spyro game that let you change Spyro's color, get a big head, or become 2D.
>>
>>319464754
Exactly.
>>
>>319464945
So... you're lying.

Why?
>>
File: 1434929491011.jpg (18 KB, 255x200) Image search: [Google]
1434929491011.jpg
18 KB, 255x200
>>319453434
w-what the fug is that giant ass thing in the bottom left corner with that barrel magazine? holy crackers
>>
>>319464592
Because you adapted and didn't have a website of angry 40 year old virgins telling you it was impossible.

The funny thing is, all the unwashed Gaben worshiping faggots who take every chance to shipost about muh autoaim and T-TAKES NO SKILL would get absolutely destroyed playing the "easy" console shooters online. They only think this because they never go outside their comfort zone and attempt to use a stick to back up their claims "so easy every 12 year old can do it". Actually playing something like Halo 3 or fucking The Last of Us online would force them to put their money where their Dorito dusted mouth is.

Especially TLOU. I think getting absolutely destroyed at le movie game would probably cause one to kill themselves.
>>
>>319465161
The Baby Killer 9000.
>>
>>319463358
I'm really surprised there aren't more games with jetpacks. And when they do exist, they're always the slow type that thrust up and then let you tilt slightly to move a bit in any direction. I want a fast jetpack that will let me fly like Iron Man.

Maybe Just Cause 4 will have one.
>>
>>319464114
The thought process of simplification tends to infect their entire philosophy.

>let's design an area that's difficult for this weapon combination
>oh, playtesters are finding the difficult area difficult? let's make it simple by plopping the weapon they need on the ground right before they need it!
>>
>>319463562
>makes more sense for Max Payne as a character
this is why people don't take you seriously on this board.
>>
>>319453434

What is this in OP's pic. That better not be a gun store, America. What even is that thing in the bottomish left. It looks like something for a Metal Gear.
>>
>>319465239
>believing games designed for 7-13 year olds take "skill."

>>
>>319465046
I'm not lying, I'm just entertaining you, because you're shifting the goal poast, we've already discussed why your argument is flawed, but you ignored that, I don't know if you're stupid so you keep repeating the same question, or just pretending to be stupid, but you've no interest in taking the discussion seriously, so why should I?
>>
>>319465460
What? You said a weapon wheel was equal to one key press. When it fundamentally isn't on any level.

What is wrong with you?
>>
>>319465239
Fair point. You're not wrong, but the main thing that was throwing me was the lack of dual analog. This wasn't a K+M vs controller thing.
>>
>>319465460
nigga what

fucking around with a weapon wheel takes longer than hitting Q for rocket launcher or E for lightning gun. deal with it consolebabby.
>>
File: 1448422162142.jpg (204 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
1448422162142.jpg
204 KB, 1024x1365
Fear did it right, you had all weapons on you all the time.

If I remember right even black on the ps2 would allow you to carry all weapons.

GTA 5 for all the shit it gets did the weapon wheel rght too.

I understand if its a game like metro 2033 where each bullet is precious as water, but in futuristic games where people wear power armor and can punch walls it makes no sense to carry only two weapons.
>>
>>319465046
Actually he's not. Most weapon wheels don't require to to select anything with a second press. Since you're holding a controller, your finger is already on the trigger/bumper you'll likely use to bring up the wheel, then you point the stick in the direction of the one you want, it highlights, and you let go of the bumper.

That's it. It takes no time at all since you'll know which direction to bump the stick without looking, and it doesn't require two movements considering that you're using a controller, which lends itself well to combinations. Holding the bumper and tapping the stick is one motion.
>>
>>319465319
explain
>>
>>319464206
Except that "what to take" is never really a choice at all.

Long range/Rapid weapon
Short range/Power weapon

This is the only combination that ever makes any sense in a two-weapon system, and it's why nearly every two-weapon game devolves into "AR and Shotgun" or "Sniper and SMG" or "Battle rifle and rocket" setups for the entire game, adjusting for whichever weapons the designers made available in the current section.
>>
>>319465838
You realize every time you use the word "then" you're doubling the time fucking around with a weapon wheel takes compared to a single keystroke, right?
>>
>>319465838
>x and y is one
okay
>>
>>319465563
Ok, do I seriously need to repeat myself again? How hard is this for you to comprehend?

Fist of all, I'm not the anon who said it was equal to one key press, but I've spent a couple posts telling you that you're creating a non-issue by being super reductionist, You're the kind of person that would argue putting on pats is complicated because you have to get up, walk up to the closet, open the closet, get the coat hanger, take the pants off the coat hanger, put the pants on one leg, put the pants on the other leg, pull the pants up, button up the first button, button up the second button, button up the third button, put on the belt, and buckle the belt.

Yes, it takes more than one button press to swap with a quick access wheel, its also not a problem because if you're not disabled it will take a fraction of a second. And you're reducing the act to base actions required to do so because you know this, you don't have an argument but you're desperate to be right, so you'll just go "HURR BUTTON PRESS FOR A SECOND" like a retard over and over again regardless of what argument is presented to you.
>>
>>319465460
>>319465883
Are you, maybe, arguing from the assumption that one would have to look at the keyboard to find the necessary key to hit in order to switch to another weapon?

Because that's all I can figure to explain this level of abject mental retardation.
>>
>>319465849
lurk more
>>
>>319465883
>Except that "what to take" is never really a choice at all.

It sure as hell is when you're in an area that has nothing but garbage, so you have to pick a combination of two shit weapons that can work together to maybe do something. The Halo 2 level Quarantine Zone was like this...there was a really shitty section of it where you have to fight a ton of flood with nothing but weapons that do JACK SHIT against them. None of what's actually useful against them was available.
>>
>>319465732
Maybe with your fat nigger fingers.
>>
>>319465837
>GTA 5 for all the shit it gets did the weapon wheel rght too.
And then you get turn on multiplayer and everything goes to shit
>lock normal rocket launcher behind a level
>release dlc rocket launcher thats available at level 1
>do the same thing with sticky/proximity bombs and sniper rifles
>>
>>319465929
>>319465981
It's a single action when you're using a controller. You hand isn't hovering over a keyboard, it's already making contact with all the available buttons, which can be pressed in any combination as a single movement of many fingers.
>>
>>319466185
>Are you, maybe, arguing from the assumption that one would have to look
No, I'm not.

>Because that's all I can figure to explain this level of abject mental retardation.

Are you, maybe, thinking I'm arguing something other than the fact that weapon wheel won't take longer than a second to swap weapons for anyone that's not retarded?
>>
>>319459837
But you always could see all weapons that max got. It was nice that nothing got invisible behind magic coat.
>>
>>319466075
>yes it takes longer
that's all we wanted, thank you
>it's not a problem
no, not if everyone else is equally handicapped, it is not strictly a balance problem. it just leads to nobody switching ever. what fun.
>>
>>319466075
If the alternative to the method of "putting on pants" you described was a single instantaneous action, then, yea, your method would be pointless.

Also your use of the term "reductive" is completely backwards, as "not ignoring things that weaken my argument" is the opposite of reductive.
>>
>>319460742
You can knife, pistol, main weapon and grenades in Counter Strike

That's more than 2
>>
>>319466239
>being called a nigger by an xbox owner
>>
>>319466226

>covenant have to fight the flood
>plasma rifle

Oh god why did you have to remind me that shit. Best thing you got was the sword if there were no human weps
>>
>>319466406
Anon, who are you quoting? I don't know who you think you're replying to but the post you quoted didn't once say "Yes it takes longer"
>>
>>319459775
>post explained why the limit was good game design for a single game while explicitly stating immediately after how most games miss the point
>better shitpost about how 2 weapon limit is good for all games

no fuk u
>>
>>319466534
I don't own an Xbox.

>>319466415
Can you even see the goalpost any more anon?
>>
>>319466339
dude my pc weapon binds are all within easy reach. my hands never hover, how much time do you think i have?
>>
>>319453434
To be fair, it's possible to fuck that up too by having too many guns that perform identically or are flat out better than their counterparts. GTAV is a recent, perfect example of that.

Also, it's not caused by attempts at realism, it's caused by the limitations of console controls, or the ruling design trend to keep the controls "simple and accessible" to be precise.
>>
Does Ratchet and Clank have the best weapon wheel on console?
>>
>>319453434
>tech limitations like turn based combat
Nice bait.
>>
>>319466761
yes you do. why else would you so vehemently defend the downright absurd notion that controller combination input is faster than a single keystroke.
>>
ITT: Delusional PC players blame halo for new direction FPS took when it was really their refusal to get off of Quake's dick

>I wish there were new FPS coming out
>This FPS is nothing like quake. I don't want to play it.
>This FPS is too much like quake. I'd rather play quake instead.
>>
File: Twistedmetal axel.jpg (190 KB, 650x436) Image search: [Google]
Twistedmetal axel.jpg
190 KB, 650x436
>>319466954
Nah. Axel was a better weapons wheel.
>>
File: 1449580956462.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1449580956462.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>319466246

Its amazing that rockstar managed to kill everthing that could multiplayer fun in gta5.

Playing gta san andreas on some autistic private server is still more fun than being jewed by rockstar.
>>
>>319467258
eh, at least csgo doesnt have the ironsights nonsense.
>>
>>319467170
Well Turn based combat in console RPGs originated mostly due to technical limitations, you do know this, right?

>>319467246
I'm not, I literally never said its faster, my only argument ever was that the difference is negligible, no, you don't need five seconds to swap weapons with a weapon wheel, not unless your genuinely physically disabled or just started playing videogames for the first time in your life.
>>
File: 1446173016639.jpg (133 KB, 800x1163) Image search: [Google]
1446173016639.jpg
133 KB, 800x1163
>>319465406
>proving my point

simply eric, anon.
>>
>>319467346
Dust 514 was fucking horrible, there was so much pay to win and camping in that game its ridiculous.
>>
File: 1435853867098.gif (744 KB, 293x240) Image search: [Google]
1435853867098.gif
744 KB, 293x240
>>319467589
>>319467346
>make a game that has a huge tie-in with another game
>don't release it on the same platform
Fucking retarded.
>>
>>319467823
They're doing the same think with Valkyrie, arent' they?
>>
>>319467464
It must really suck to be trapped trying to defend a statement like "pressing a combination of buttons in sequence is just as fast as a single keystroke.

You said something stupid. No amount of posting will make it unstupid.
>>
>>319462986
I don't really understand this argument, it's not like it takes a long time to operate a radial weapon menu on a controller.
The console versions of old Bethesda games like Oblivion even had eight quickslots that worked the exact same way as they did on PC.
>>
>>319467823
That's CCP mang. They're trying really hard to get away from the spess autism demographic.
>>
>>319468205
Well, we are talking about 2001. Before radial wheels existed.
>>
>>319468109
>It must really suck to be trapped trying to defend a statement like "pressing a combination of buttons in sequence is just as fast as a single keystroke.
I guess, but I never said that so I wouldn't know. On the other hand I wonder how psychotic are you to make up shit on a text board like I can't see what the fuck I posted up to now.
>>
>>319467464
I think if you practice hard and the menus are responsive etc, you can maybe get it down to like half a second.

compare to hitting a key your finger is already resting on, or very close to. that's basically human reaction speed which is about 150-200ms. that's around three times faster. if this is neglible to you, then you are a disgusting normie caual and should get out reeeee etc
>>
>>319467959
It'll be on PC and PS4
>>
>>319468331
So you just jumped in to defend a completely retarded statement after the guy who posted it originally bailed?
>>
>>319468450
>So you just jumped in to defend
No, and I seriously don't feel like repeating myself for the fifth time, literally read my posts again.
>>
>>319468205
... your counter argument is to compare FIRST PERSON MULTIPLAYER "TWITCH BASED" SHOOTERS to single player sandbox RPGs?
>>
File: 1394809991075.jpg (31 KB, 164x242) Image search: [Google]
1394809991075.jpg
31 KB, 164x242
>>319468450
I didn't bail. I've been laughing at you people the whole time.

What I said was that the PD weapons wheel required a singular button press, which was a direct answer to " i need more than a single keypress to get the exact weapon i want, correct? I never said it was the same, or that it was quicker, but you autists don't know how to argue without moving the goalposts, and since you were only arguing the amount of time it takes, and not anything to do with what I was saying question, I never bothered responding to you.
>>
>>319468640
It doesn't matter where you move the goalposts, or how dissmissive you are of the differences, one keystroke will always be several times faster than pressing a sequence of multiple buttons.

If you're tired of repeating yourself, its because you simply can't argue against this.
>>
File: 1337026210728.jpg (80 KB, 456x386) Image search: [Google]
1337026210728.jpg
80 KB, 456x386
>>319467352
>le ironsights are bad meme
>>
>>319468898
Oh hi.

So what game does selecting a weapon from a wheel take only one button press with no other input?
>>
>>319468898
that's still retarded though. let a be button presses and b be stick usage:

1a > 1a + 1b
>>
>>319468959
>It doesn't matter where you move the goalposts
You're literally making up arguments, I just said one sentence over and over, the only person moving the goalpost is you.
>>
>>319469140
lel i put a greater than when i meant lesser than im so silly
>>
>>319469120
>>319469140
Again, at no point did anyone say anything about "no other input". His question was about keystrokes, so if you want to dive to the childish level of pedantics you are unable get away from, the answer is that Pefect Dark requires zero keystrokes to use the weapons wheel.
>>
File: 1444610637640.gif (380 KB, 124x200) Image search: [Google]
1444610637640.gif
380 KB, 124x200
>>319469062
>le x is a meme meme
>>
>>319469285
>>319469140
You're not wrong, you're just retarded because you're arguing negligible results. It doesn't matter one is faster and one takes more button presses, both achieve the same result in an insignificant amount of time.
>>
>>319464206
>forcing the choice
But if you have no idea of the enemies up ahead then there is no fucking choice. Thereis far more choice between using a bunch of different weapons in your arsenal and taking one weapon you prefer over another,
>>
>>319469223
At this point it seems you just don't know what "moving the goal posts" means.
>>
It changed cause it "felt" ""better"" on consoles. And since msot FPS are multiplataform, they just went with the laziest way possible.
>>
>>319469425
and as i have said, this isn't a problem as long as everyone in a multiplayer game is equally handicapped. people just won't change weapons if it's slow. no rocket rail combos in those games, no sir.

and we come back to my original complaint that console limitations hurt the fps genre as a whole.
>>
>>319458629
This guy gets it
>>
>>319459740

Most carry knives, but depending on your training you can get different weapons you're allowed to take in field

Buddy of mine passed the test for and was allowed to take a tomahawk on patrol in Afghanistan instead of a knife
>>
>>319469545
>Literally only said one sentence over and over.
>Get told I"m moving the goalpoast
Buddy, you're just the pot calling the kettle black.

>>319470007
Motherfucker I don't give a shit what your original complaint was you atomically autisting inbred fucking asshole. Literally shut the fuck up and drink bleach out of your mothers unwashed fucking anus you incomprehensible fucking retard. I don't give a fuck what your original argument was, I only ever said the difference is insignificant you colossal fucking aspie, literally die in a fucking fire you waste of god damn resources.
>>
>>319470275
but it's not insignificant. in good games you change weapon in combat. in bad games you stick with one since fighting the UI to get another one gets you killed. how is this not significant?

also i feast on your insults and namecalling, especially when i have been nothing but civil.
Thread replies: 191
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.