[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Warhammer 40k: Dawn Of War Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Based_Angelos.jpg (160 KB, 1276x717) Image search: [Google]
Based_Angelos.jpg
160 KB, 1276x717
Discuss Dawn of War here. Do you guys think Dawn of War 3's gonna be good after Relic dun goofed with CoH 2? What would you guys like to see?

In other news, vote for your favorite DoW campaign! http://strawpoll.me/6209382/
>>
best campaign for Dark Crusade: Chaos
best campaign for Soulstorm: IG

Winter Assault can go eat a dick, who the fuck in their right mind would want to play IG simulator? Literally band of brothers: WH40k but with even worse odds
>>
So is it canon Angelos is chaptermaster?
>>
So I played Dawn of War I recently and didn't really like it that much, but that's probably because it's like a decade old.

I mean, it was an above average RTS, but basically I was able to steamroll the campaign on the hardest difficulty by building as many space marine squads as population would allow and upgrading them with rockets, flamers, and plasma weapons and then A-Moving. They were so resilient, and with the upgrades they were so versatile, that literally could not lose with this strategy. Since they are also the tier I unit, as I was building up the army I was totally invincible to attack. Also the vehicle AI was super shit, reminded me of dragoons from SCI but mushier. They would just wander around in wide arcs and the traffic through any kind of choke point was absurd.

Dawn of War II was pretty fun too but the RTT thing got a bit boring because on the hardest difficulty the difficulty was really high until your hero units got so OP that nothing could harm them.

I have high hopes for this game because I love the 40k Universe.
>>
Yeah nah, Relic is ass now.

I can't belive i'm saying this, but they can't do shit right. The new team is unpassionate and pretty fucking dumb dumb in all departments.
>>
>>319447597

are the Blud Rahvens even canon
>>
>>319448740
>>319447597
well they are game canon but idk about glorious gabriel
>>
>>319448179
DoW DC ans Soulstorm was the best any W40k videogame has ever been. It wasn't perfect, but it was close to. It's a masterpiece because many reasons.

But DoW2? Bland and uncompelling from anything. Shit the startup menu is fucked. Feels low budget and short scoped in everything. Voice acting is worse, nad graphics are muddy, choppy, demanding and even worse animated, only disguised with a heavy gloss and shines. Music and 40k feel isn't there. CoH did everything better, and it's obvious its NOT from the same guys that did history.

CoH2 is the same as DoW2.
>>
>>319448179
Campaign wise you would enjoy Dark Crusade and Soulstorm. Play them on Hard so your troops don't get any handicapped benefits.

But in terms of actual matches I think Vanilla Dawn of War and Dawn of War 2 Retribution are the best mainly because of balance reasons.
>>
File: 2015-11-26_00001.jpg (221 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-26_00001.jpg
221 KB, 1366x768
anyone play Elite?
>>
Is DoW3 in development or is this just a speculation and wishful thinking thread?
>>
>>319449923
It's actually in development. The DoW3 domain's been taken, Relic has released minor updates saying they are working on it, and they haven't announced cancellation. They were spending more time on CoH2, but now that it's done they are working on DoW3.
>>
>>319450239
Cool. I also hope they do a Space Marine 2, except they make it not suck this time.
>>
>>319449753
I stick with vanilla Retribution when I'm playing, but I do watch Indrid's game casts. Getting really sick of seeing Space Marines, but I understand why so many people play them.

Any games with Eldar is always fun though, feels like the skirmish centric gameplay of DoW2 fits their playstyle really well.
>>
>>319450865
What's your favorite faction senpai?

I agree with too much Space Marines, but they are the most popular faction and I'd even say the most OP alongside grey knights.
>>
>>319446735
If it allows me to play as proper chaos gods i'd be happy, if it allows me to play as proper imperial guard i'd be happy.

So on and etc.

Make dawn of war 3 like table top but make it real time
>>
Just give me a damn 40K RTS with base building and huge armies like DoW 1. Tired of this fucking 1 command building and a few squads boring bullshit. It's alright in CoH since it's a part of it since the first game. Don't care about trying to pay homage to the table top game or muh lore with small tactical space marine squads. I want huge ork armies with crazy upgrades bought from various base buildings against whole armies of space marines.
>>
>>319451368
>>319451562
The most proper way of doing it would be a game that does things in a more Total War sorta way where it's like "you pick what you want on the field" which works perfectly with the points system of the tabletop.

The actual tactical aspect of Dawn Of War 2 was fun though so I want it there.

Now to make it more lore/fluffy type, put Total War and Dawn Of War 2 together but have the scale of Supreme Commander. Main tabletop game isn't as close to lore/fluff as you would think. This would make it very close to Epic: Armageddon where the battles are more fluffy, the units more numerous, and while unique characters have unique abilities tactics still reign above all.

No more basebuilding it makes absolutely zero sense in the context of 40k and I think another RTS with the same old base building shit won't work.

CoH 1 actually had quite a lot of base building that's why it worked. DoW 2 maybe would've worked better with base building, too, but it isn't very 40k to have basebuilding thus they should use the Total War style of fielding units which works from a Table Top and fluff perspective.
>>
>>319451048
I roll with Imperial Guard, not the strongest army around, but I fell in love with them as a kid when I played Dark Crusade and that hasn't changed one bit. The worst part is that I have this stupid attachment to my troops in RTSs, so I'll lose an entire battle if it means I get to save my guys. One of the reasons why I don't play Elite, considering Guardsmen are even squishier.

But when I want to play to win, I go Chaos, their troops are stupidly strong and I've pretty much won all my games as them. I think the cultist spam helps.
>>
>>319448179
>>319448946
>judging DoW 2 by the single player

I played DoW 2 multiplayer for years with my friends, over 300 hours. It accomplished both being very tactical and having extremely satisfying, visceral combat. One of my favorite RTS of all time. The balance was understandably imperfect but it was far from gamebreaking.

Faggot casuals, if you are bitching about a challenge, look no further than your fellow man. DoW 2 singleplayer is literally for fucking babbies, I don't know how an adult can actually find it entertaining, all you do is grind through brainless AI. Jesus it isn't even visually entertaining because the whole thing is a glorified UMS.

Can't wait for DoW 3, can't wait for Total Warhammer. TW series having actually decent single player should be an interesting look.
>>
>>319454159
This, too is true. Singleplayer had some interesting things, but the real shit went down in multiplayer. Retribution is the most balanced the game has been since Vanilla DoW1, and Last Stand is fun with other people, too. I just wish DoW2 had more faction specific buildings. Not like straight up base building stuff, but like for various other things. Without them it felt like Company of Heroes 1 without a layer of depth. But that's still fine cuz CoH1 is still among the GOAT RTSs.

>>319452553
Cultist/Heretics spam is so fucking annoying. Niggas be spamming that shit in tier 3. I play Chaos myself both in DoW and in Tabletop, and it's damn rewarding to see Cultist/Heretic spam fail.
>>
>>319456379
>Cultist/Heretics spam
I play imperial guard, Its damn rewarding to charge in with tanks and burn everything.
>>
>>319457005
True that. If your faction has the best armored vehicles why not flaunt it?
>>
>>319446735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNK5-uE5JFg
>>
>>319446735
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC2JyFdOXBc
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.