[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there a game scarier than Doom 3 without the duct tape flashlight
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4
File: 001.jpg (85 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
85 KB, 1024x768
Is there a game scarier than Doom 3 without the duct tape flashlight mod?
>>
P.T
>>
>>319439517
Call of duty zombies
>>
>>319439704
but pee tee is just jump scares and fans pretending they weren't jumpscares
>>
>doom 3
>scary
lol
>>
>>319440075
>not being a scaredy cat that can experience horror games for what they are
>tfw when I had to enable god mode just to finish the game because I was so terrified
>>
>>319439517
GGen Overworld without cheats.
>>
>>319439992

A jump scare is when something literally appears in your face and makes you freak out momentarily. This only happens twice in the entirety of the P.T. demo. Once when you zoom in on the door and she slams it shut, the second time is when she "kills" you and pops up in your face.

Everything else about P.T. is sheer dread. You see her down the hall, you feel her presence behind you, and you feel terrified to do anything. The atmosphere is leaps and bounds ahead of almost any other horror game ever created. Only the likes of Silent Hill 1-3 can really beat it, and that's to be expected since it's the same essential universe.

P.T. was too good for what it was meant to be. It's in all likelihood that there was no chance a full game could be made of that same caliber and dread. I think they realize this and decided to cancel regardless of what was going on with Kojima. Shitty reality, but reality nonetheless.
>>
Doom 3 isnt all that scary. It's pretty atmospheric though, and I love it
>>
>>319440312
It's not a horror game
>>
Games that made me nervous and tense:

Amnesia
Alien

Games that had horror atmosphere that are appealing that had jump scares

Doom 3
Dead Space 1 and 2
Outlast

Games with horror atmosphere that were not scary at all but are still good
Resident Evil 4
Evil Within
>>
>>319440312
you're a little bitchboi, anon

>>319439517
try out Cry of Fear, and if you have a copy of Half-Life, not that garbage on Steam, try Afraid of Monsters
>inb4 but wahhh that one jump scare near the beginning
stop being a bitch
>>
>>319440653
Dude no. Silent Hills got canned because Konami didn't want to pay and handle these big names like Kojima (sort of) Del Toro and Reedus just for a fucking horror game in 2015.
I don't care though, Konami still deserves to fucking burn for it.
>>
>>319440938
The majority doesn't agree with you.
>>
>>319439517
>>319441202
oh and FEAR Extraction Point xpac is pretty great for getting yourself spooked.

though id highly recommend you play FEAR first, so you have an idea as to whats going on

>inb4 bawwwww office building shooter da vidya game
funny how some fags never get past Armacham
>>
>>319441193
>>319441525
I forgot FEAR
>>
>>319439704
>>319439992
>>319440653
>>319441392
>walking simulator with jump scares
who fucking cares
>>
>>319441481
says who?
It's not a matter of majority, it's the definition of the game. It's an action game with a spooky atmosphere like FEAR or RE4
>>
>>319439517
the only scary doom game was doom 64. if you disagree you are either underage or autistic
>>
>>319442108
In every list of horror games Doom 3 is listed. Just because you feel it's not spoopy enough for your metal pants, doesn't mean it's not a horror game. It has all the elements of a horror story.
>>
Anyone that says P.T. are fucking idiots that think horror is like keys being jingled in front of their eyes.
>>
>>319442378
I didn't say I wasn't spooked by it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's an action game.
Just like Doom 1 and 2, all they did was add jump scares to the game. Now it's suddenly a horror game?

>>319442664
I don't know what you mean by that analogy but at the very least PT was scarier than DOOM 3
>>
File: SH2-Hole-Body.jpg (302 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
SH2-Hole-Body.jpg
302 KB, 1024x768
>>319439517
Silent Hill 1-4
Afraid Of Monsters: Director's Cut
Cry Of Fear
Fatal Frame 2
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Resident Evil Remake
Scratches
STALKER trilogy (underground / at night)
Penumbra ep1 & 2
Nosferatu: Wrath Of Malaci

>>319441827
I definitely do, because PT was only showcasing the visuals and overall mood that could've been done in Silent Hills. It was not a gameplay demonstration.
>>
>>319442708
>I don't know what you mean by that analogy but at the very least PT was scarier than DOOM 3
That is fine, I will agree with that statement.
>>
>>319441193
Alien: Isolation is the best.

You just have to be decent enough at the game to not die all the time and get frustrated, but its the best survival horror there has been in years.

Pretty bold for being AAA honestly, indies in this genre have been pretty tame with the difficulty and being anything other than walking simulators lately
>>
File: Doom_64-box-cover.jpg (48 KB, 640x440) Image search: [Google]
Doom_64-box-cover.jpg
48 KB, 640x440
>>319439517
>>
>>319442813
I don't care what faggots with autism say. Amnesia is a very horrifying game to play alone.
>>
>>319442708
Well Silent Hill series also have action and adventure elements. How can you think a game is locked to a single genre?

Also the original Doom has horror elements too early on. Doom 64 is a horror game, maybe more than Doom 3.
>>
>>319443084
Horror elements.
At it's core it's an action game
Like how at the core of silent hill is a horror game. Built from the ground up for horror.
Doom is and always has been built to be a satisfying FPS
>>
>>319443031
Funny thing is, A:I biggest issue is its TOO long for a survival horror like that. Its like 18-20 hours, and its those last few hours that really feel like a chore because of the difficulty going up to 10 and its shit you have done for the past like 14 hours.

The game overstays its welcome when you get to the core+hive+after hive. Should have ended the main game sooner especially considering the game has fuckloads of side content already with it.
>>
File: 1424107260143.png (44 KB, 150x174) Image search: [Google]
1424107260143.png
44 KB, 150x174
Is there a game that manages to maintain its spook when built in a coop system?

I know dead space 3 had its asymmetric perspectives with the characters that generated some unease and distortion between the two players.

The added player usually makes breaking the immersion and atmosphere easy.
>>
>>319443653
afraid of monsters (or cry of fear, i always mix them up) has a coop campaign, and since the atmosphere and spookyness of the singleplayer revolved around glitchy-moving monsters coming out of the darkness half a meter away from you i'd say it keeps its spook
>>
>>319443653
If the players get separated you may get some spoopy moments.
>>
>>319443084
>Doom had horror elements early on
nigga, they were all over

same goes for Doom 2.

just cause theres more concentration on the FPS, doesnt mean that satanic imagery, with various bodies strung about are non horror elements
>>
>>319439517
i dunno OP, I get spooped in fatal frame when a ghost pops out in front of the camera, or when a shibito spots me in forbidden siren while I'm sightjacking it
>>
>>319443609
It's not 20 hours, how bad are you?

I finished it in 12, which is still pretty long for a SP game. Granted, I was a bit annoyed later when more aliens come on, but I was still not that bored. The game did a fine job with pacing and changing it up.

First it takes like an hour or so for the alien to arrive, then in a 5 hours or so you get rid of it, then you have to deal with a lot of robots, then the alien is finally reintroduced in one of the scariest and most tense levels I played, ever, and I played literally all horror games out there - and then there are more aliens at once to deal with. And it also had a lot of cooldown areas where you would walk in a space suit or deal with characters, or the amazing fan service where you visit the original planet.
>>
>>319443084
>>319442708
>>319442378
>>319442108
>>319440938
>>319440075
Horror isn't just spooky stuff, it's just negative reaction to things like fear, disgust, paranoia, tension, etc.

If you weren't at least a bit on the edge with the darkness, monsters, jump scares and gore, then fine, but still, it's a horror game. Just not a survival horror one.
>>
>>319445427
I was scared of the enviroments and abiment noise in doom as a kid
>>
>>319445809
i played on hardest.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.