[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WII U HAS NO GAEMS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10
File: i-H43Rv38-1050x10000.jpg (158 KB, 1050x526) Image search: [Google]
i-H43Rv38-1050x10000.jpg
158 KB, 1050x526
WII U HAS NO GAEMS
>>
>>319399771
How would that work? What does DM do in the game?
>>
>>319400450
what does he do in normal d&d?
>>
>>319400450
Control the NPCs? Design the map? The fuck do you think the DM does?
>>
>>319400450
he draws a penis on the wiipad thing and the map is a penis then
>>
>>319400450
normal d&d pretty much
>>
Now your DM's inventiveness and productivity can be slowed down by a ridiculous electronic contraption!
>>
File: 48291289713687.jpg (41 KB, 468x465) Image search: [Google]
48291289713687.jpg
41 KB, 468x465
Isn't there some co-op Fable game with this concept?
>>
This is almost literally that Fable game that was announced at this year's E3.
>>
>>319400616
I really don't see how this could be slower than drawing maps on a grid with pencil and paper.
>>
I love this idea. GM drags premade rooms onto a grid as they are exploring, quickly populates them with enemies and items. If the GM moves something into the room while the players are in it it appears in a puff of smoke/fire/magic.

GM controls bosses directly in boss fights.

Uhnhnh
>>
Wii U could be pretty good for some RTS games with the controller but Nintendo won't fund a new IP after Splatoon
>>
>>319400675
Yeah but this one is free.
Tycho said so.
>>
The gamepad has a fuckload of untapped potential for multiplayer games. It's just the problem is that if you design one for it then you're going to have a hard time porting it to other systems without sacrificing something and barely anyone wants to make a experimental game dedicated to one platform.

I'm hoping they continue support for it on the NX so maybe someone will start giving it better attention.
>>
WHERE'S THE FUCKING JOKE, BUCKLEY?
>>
>>319400516
>>319400521
>>319400575

Thank you smartass, now conceptualize that in actual gameplay terms.
Bear in mind that all of this has to happen in real time as your friends are waiting for you to make the game around them and take into account every single one of their choices.
>>
I see a certain flaw in that idea. If you're in the same room, you could just gather around a table. And if you're not, well, that would require 4+ friends to actually own a WiiU.
>>
>>319400835
Yeah fuck PA.
>>
>>319400835
i take it you never played NWN1
>>
>>319399771
I never understood who the fuck wants to play multiplayer games with the Wii U gamepad.

You're getting a totally different experience than everybody else. You feel alien. What's the point?
>>
>>319400450
>>319400835

There would be a standard randomly generated cave with bad guys. DM would be able to edit the map on the fly as long as it's not a room the part is in, to edit the layout ahead of them. He would be able to spawn more bad guys in the rooms the party is in, different types of bad guys and so forth.

The DM would have an "energy" bar and every bad guy he added, trap he added, room he added would use up that "energy". The only way to refill it would be to give the players loots, chest with health potions, +damage to their weapons or gear, or just gold that the players can take a quick break and use how they see wish and buy that stuff on their own.

So a rush of the players wanting to finish the level as fast as they can, while still needing to take breaks to heal and recharge. While the DM tries to kill them.

I've never played any game like it but pretty sure what I just said is the Fable party game no one played.
>>
>>319399771
Didn't Peter M try and use this idea with Fable characters? What ever came of that?
>>
>>319400934
Someone hasn't played with 5 people on Nintendo Land
>>
>>319400934
It's about the power the gamepad player can have over the other players
>>
>>319400835
It's only a dungeon crawl in order to make things simple. DM player has access to several decks. While players are clearing a room, he selects cards to design the next room encounter. DM player also gets control over the boss of the area and receives XP for buying more cards depending on how his players perform.
>>
>>319400628
yeah, i didnt see any gameplay of it tough.
>>
>>319400918
NWN1 was a great example of what I think Piglike is getting at in the comic, even though the DM was usually working with a module that was built and decorated and populated ahead of time and then just puppet-mastering NPCs and monsters.

But the whole point of that is so you could play online. If you have four people in the same room already there is no reason why you shouldn't just play D&D.

Or for that matter a better tabletop system because D&D is trash.
>>
>3 friends
Why not 4? Wasn't a big point of the pad that you could have 4 players plus a pad player?

Sorry my autism just spiked and I had to get it out there.
>>
>>319399771
>Buy WiiU secondhand to play Bayonetta 2
>Finish Bayonetta 2 and starts to check out other WiiU games.
>They should all be cheap by now I thought.
>All the games are sold at a premium that never go down.
>It's all Mario rehash shit.
>Bought The Wonderful 101 secondhand on Saturday.
>It's the only WiiU game I bought in 9 months.

Yeah - naw. After this Im selling this paperweight.
>>
>>319400835
There is nothing in D&D that can't be done faster with the aid of a computer.

The DM could be stacking map tiles for use, ordering scenarios.

For a more rigid DM structure, see the board game Descent - essentially the DM gets action spoints to spend on minions, traps, and dungeon layout.
>>
>>319401129
>Or for that matter a better tabletop system because D&D is trash.
*tips warhammer*
>>
>>319401085
>>319400628
There's some early gameplay from 2014. Here's the DM/Villian stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAzl7Pspw74

Here's the player stuff (from 3:25):
https://youtu.be/hQM_Dw_b0jE
>>
>>319401201
>Buy Nintendo system
>Don't want Nintendo games
>>
>>319400521
Doesn't he do all that shit before the game actually starts though? What does he do DURING the game? I know everyone likes to be the ideas guy and just shit out stuff like this and think they've created gold but think nigga what benefits would a human DM have that a computer controlled DM couldn't also do and faster?
>>
>>319401498

Actually roleplay the characters.
How else is a Necromancer going to respond to being told to suck a dick?
>>
>>319400835
Have you ever played Dungeonland?

One of the people is the bad guy and picks and chooses from a number of rooms to slap them down as the players go, and fill the rooms with monsters and traps of their choosing.

As the players are going through the rooms trying to clear them, the bad guy player has some time to plan ahead and get more complex with the map/room design, traps and monsters, etc...

So each level usually starts out really simple but by the end is pretty complex. All of it happening in real time.
>>
>>319401498
A computer controlled DM is pretty much Left 4 Dead's director. It's fun but it isn't perfect.

I suppose a player alternative would be something like Zombie-Us versus system. Where a horde will cost X points, and a special would be x points and you have a certain amount of points to spend.
>>
>>319401483
>Make a console
>Alienate all third party developers
>Churn out copy paste games
>Wonder why nobody is buying your console
>Drop said console and work on the next one
>>
>>319401673

Thing is the point of a player DM is everyone is playing together as friends, so you'll trust each other to pick the level of difficulty instead of just treating it as a BALANCED, COMPETITIVE SPORT of some kind which these games are virtually never done well for.
>>
>>319401772
I feel like much of the problem is that they started off trying to recapture the Wii's lightning in a bottle, not realizing that that audience didn't give a single fuck about Nintendo.
>>
File: 1375650987552.png (262 KB, 504x529) Image search: [Google]
1375650987552.png
262 KB, 504x529
>>319401673
I think you may be on to something. The problem with a lot of these, "Just like make D&D!" ideas is that they consider the incentives each person would have playing the game. What is the goal of a DM, i.e. how do you incentivize good DM-behaviour like not being a complete dick and fuck over everyone as well as not just dumping treasure room after treasure room making the game a boring uneventful slog? You need some kind of points system or resource that would either pit players and DMs against each other or in cooperation with other depending on the goal of the game.
>>
>>319401934

That's exactly the wrong way of thinking about it.
The big problem with those games is simply marketing. There's like 1 in 20 people over here who would all be for DnD BUT:
>There aren't enough people you know to play
>If you did, you have to be lucky enough to have someone have a good spot that's doable for everyone to meet up and play for a few hours
>Assuming that's the case, you also need the host to be paying a load of money for a shit ton of gear, including things like adventure books if you don't have time to write up a campaign, let alone every player getting their own stuff.

There is also the problem that a ton of people simply don't know what DnD is and how it works, or if they'd like it at all. Because DnD the tabletop game hasn't been a thing since the early 90s. For young adults at the time. I got some little sibs that could be up for it but there's just nothing suitable to get started digitally (and therefore low cost time and money wise) to try it.

Solutions like TTS is extremely limited due to licensing and Roll20/standalone DnD games etc cost a load of money just to try, if not gimp the DM for one reason or another.
>>
>>319401934
The 'good DM behaviour' thing is usually only achieved through the DM not wanting to lose his D&D group.
>>
>>319401934
>how do you incentivize good DM-behaviour like not being a complete dick and fuck over everyone as well as not just dumping treasure room after treasure room making the game a boring uneventful slog
The same way you do it when you play real DnD, which is craft an actual story, have things planned out, and be fucking ready to improvise.
I think a big issue with digital versions of tabletop games is that it forces you to play withing a set boundary, where in actual tabletop play you can homebrew rules and such.
>>
>>319401853
What makes you think that? The WiiU is nothing like the Wii.
All the games are standard as fuck and you had no huge wii fit and sports marketing push.

The WiiU is for all intents and purposes a core system. The tablet was supposed to work like their DS and 3DS.
>>
Doesnt have to be D&D specifically.

Could be any other sort of genre where you give the tablet player more power.

Couldve taken something like Mario Maker and then give the tablet guy an option to manipulate the stage mid gameplay to make things harder or easier.

Or make it like one of those Mario Party 1v3 multiplayer games.
>>
>>319402356
That's fine in local play settings. Not so much with PUGs. If you wanted local play type experience online thousands of DnD tools exist for that purpose.

https://roll20.net/ is the one my group uses.
>>
>>319402647
Runbow is a bit like that on one mode
>>
>>319400450
Isn't Fable doing this exact thing already?
>>
There is some RPG coming out on PC soon that does exactly this, where you have a party and a dungeon master who can set down monsters, traps, change rooms, loot, basically everything.

But I cant fucking remember the name
>>
>>319402716

What a shame that doesn't do shit for the UK time zone ;_;
>>
Can we agree that outside a few neat DS games the whole duel screen experience thing has mostly been wasted?

99% of the time it is look at a map or sometimes stuff appears on the bottom and then back to the top
>>
>>319402267
It is the right way to think about. If you just "virtualize" D&D then you have literally no reason to exist since you'll just be an inferior version of a product that is organic and isn't constrained by aging technology which will just become obsolete. You either end up creating some kind of electronic toy or what is essentially a game engine.
>>
>>319402873
Having a persistent map or inventory or whatever is very helpful though.
It's boring and basic, but very helpful.
>>
>>319400715
>>319399771

This game exists, its called Dungeon Land, its for pc and its OK.
>>
>>319402871
Find UK people to play on Roll 20 with you? I'm sure there are threads on /tg/ and if you're truly desperate on Reddit
>>
>>319402891

Holy shit anon, great one. Inferior because in this day and age it's actually viable for the majority of people who are interested in PnP games in the first fucking place.
>>
>>319402647
Doesn't MP10 have something like that with the game pad then again I haven't touched a MP game since three after Hudson got bought off. Which is a shame since they made some of the best Mario Parties.
>>
>>319402956
I can happily live without it, especially for the map as mini maps are good enough for most things

The inventory is nice but I find a load of games just don't do it or don't have it be touch controls in a menu that would nicely suit it
>>
Sword Coast Legends has a dungeon master mode, is the game any good though?
>>
It would have to be something like roll20.net on the DM side of things for it to be worth it.
>>
>>319402996

/tg/ is dead. And literally the only time I found a place that does D&D was a "gaming cafe" that had obese MTG/Pokemon players bouncing off the walls making playing the WotC rep's 8-players-to-one-table intro-to-whatever-we're-selling game almost impossible to hear.

Fuuuuck card games.
>>
>>319403261
>/tg/ is dead

Oh come on, you can sift sift through the Waifu threads
>>
File: tiny uematsu.jpg (7 KB, 220x125) Image search: [Google]
tiny uematsu.jpg
7 KB, 220x125
An assymetrical RTS/action game hybrid.

Tablet player in charge of building and defending a base, controller players get Dynasty Warriors type of perspective and gameplay and their goal is to take over the base.

The tablet has drag and drop so you can easily make a primitive RTS work.
>>
File: Rape Escape 3.jpg (67 KB, 423x543) Image search: [Google]
Rape Escape 3.jpg
67 KB, 423x543
>>319402997
In what way? People who are interested in PnP would have already gotten everything they need that couldn't be improved by an electronic version in any worthwhile manner.
>>
Fuck that, we're making Amiibo Monopoly
>>
>>319402843

I was thinking that, minus the Wii U pad obviously. Fable nosedived hard after 2 though.
>>
>>319403315
>>319403261
I blame quests for this. It brought all kinds of crossboarders and waifufags who couldn't care less about the rest of the board.
>>
>>319401201
Sounds like you're a retard that didn't do any research or ignored the fact the Wii U had no 3rd party support.
>>
>>319403315
Not that guy but
>filter Quest threads
>filter Civ threads
>filter CYOA threads
>Now literally half the board is filtered
>Everyone that posts their is either the most autistic grognards ever or /a/ converts that moved over so they can pretend to be little girls

I'd rather take my chances elsewhere.
>>
>>319403370

>Just buying all the shit means you can play it
>1 man D&D tabletop

How depressing. Nigger not everywhere is US metropolis.
>>
>>319403261
>DnD fag calling Pokemon players fat

I just had the toppest rofl. Thanks, m8.
>>
>>319403460

>helped propogate a /d/ quest
>Met a Dom into TF

Absolutely no regrets. At least it was in the right quiet place.
>>
>>319403486

Literally nobody into pen and paper were fat. In fact most were slim.
I would even full homo the WotC rep wow.
>>
>>319403475
Then play fucking Neverwinter nights or a software-based D&D alternative. The discussion is about how D&D would work on the Wii U.
>>
File: w.jpg (227 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
w.jpg
227 KB, 1280x853
>>319399771
>implying such broad ideas without PRD are worth shit
>>
>>319403620

Yeah, it would work in a way not every player has to be in the room, a plus that pen and paper never had.
>>
>>319400752
Fable Legends will be free to play too.
>>
File: 1415877847628.png (423 KB, 792x783) Image search: [Google]
1415877847628.png
423 KB, 792x783
>>319403704
No no no, the issue isn't how online D&D would work there's plenty of online D&D-like games there's even that damn Fable Legends game coming which is answering your questing by basing itself off an established franchise in order to garner a large audience. The issue that the PA-comic has and every time this gets brought up is how asynchronous local multiplayer would work as a game.
>>
File: why didnt you.gif (2 MB, 350x233) Image search: [Google]
why didnt you.gif
2 MB, 350x233
>>319403460
>was around on /tg/ before quests really started to take off
>when they did, I made some threads complaining about it but nobody listened
>asked moot to make a quest board several times
>watched as the board slowly got consumed by off-topic garbage
>>
>>319403261
>/tg/ is dead

fuck you we aint
>>
File: vlr3.png (818 KB, 993x632) Image search: [Google]
vlr3.png
818 KB, 993x632
>mfw no Pokemon Snap ever with all 720 pokemon in HD because ShitFreak are hacks only interested in mediocre shitty 3DS games now.
>>
>>319401232
No fa/tg/uy thinks anything GW has made is 'good'. Their best rules were probably LotR.

GURPS, Pathfinder, loads of other systems exist, not just D&D.
>>
>>319404980
He never cared about or knew much of /tg/, it was made so warhammer threads on /b/ would stop taking up space. It's not really a surprise he just threw them in there, as lame as it turned out for the board.
>>
>>319403460
>>319404980
/tg/ is for all quests, CYOA and so on. moot said this and I don't see newmoot changing this. Filters are a thing.

The main reason /tg/ is dead is that shitposting is now a fun thing to do and people just end up screaming "j-j-just ignore them!", yeah, that's worked every single time, ever.
>>
>>319400835
You could pre-make these things you know.
and the concept is basically dumbing down D&D enough to be on the wiiu, so you waiting for the GM to do things wouldn't really change since thats what you do in a real TTRPG.
If anything it'd be somewhat faster since you wouldn't have to do your own dice rolls and counts.
>>
File: screenshot24.jpg (223 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
screenshot24.jpg
223 KB, 1920x1080
who hype here?
>>
>>319400835

>Ask stupid question
>Acts like a child

WOW
>>
>>319406961
>shitposting
What shitposting?
Other than quest threads and character art dumps (which don't generate discussion), most threads are just repeats of last weeks. Where's the shitposting? There's barely any.
/tg/ is dead because everything has been talked to death and all there is to do is post THAT GUY stories between faggot anime quests.
>>
>>319399771
it really is crazy how many games could be made using the Wii U, too bad noone cared to use it.
>>
>>319401201

>All Mario games

Sure thing mate i guess Yoshis Wolly World is a Mario game too right? :^)

>rehash

A word that losts its meaning years ago, a sequel is not a rehash kid . learn the difference

>Buys a used system
>Is surprised that prices never drop

I buy a Wii U game for 45 at release and can sell it 3 years later for 40
On the other hand i can buy a Pc game on release for 30 bucks and its worth 5 3 years later
>>
>>319399771

look up hex heroes faggit
>>
>>319407394
Then I suggest you go in other threads. 40k, AoS, KoW, Warmahordes are periodically targetted. If it was for AoS then it would be worse in the other threads.

For example, there is now a meme forming about a "fun and casual Tau list" which is 1500 points or so with 2 Riptides minimum. It's been posted a dozen or so times and it always gets replies.

I also ask you to look up who Carnac, Vitaloptimum, HongKongFaggot and some others who just shitpost. Then you have "OK" tripfags like DLFG who constantly shitpost about Slaanesh being "removed from AoS" despite saying he hates AoS and he constantly brings it into 40k and gets blown the fuck away, then brings it up again to get responses.

It's apathy.
>>
>>319403636
Kot in the news!
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ks9faCp_XVs&feature=youtu.be
Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.