[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never played a Total War game before and I have to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 11
File: Total_War_Rome_II_cover.jpg (62 KB, 300x425) Image search: [Google]
Total_War_Rome_II_cover.jpg
62 KB, 300x425
I've never played a Total War game before and I have to ask you /v/, which game is better? Total War: Rome 1 or pic related?
>>
rome II
>>
more total war face pls
>>
>>319386205
Nostalgia fags will tell you 1, and to be fair it probably is, but for a complete noob? Rome 2.
>>
>>319386205
Never played Rome II but Rome I is a huge ego inflator. Sucks you in so much and makes you want to play again and again with different factions.
>>
>Rome 1 or unplayable shit

Rome 1
>>
>>319386825
>rome 2 is unplayable shit
nice meme
>>
Rome 2 is decent. The first Rome was excellent for its time, but feels sort of aged by modern standards.
>>
Well, I played Rome a decade ago and it was fantastic. I have Rome 2 and from what I've heard it is just as good with all the current patches. Makes sense. Supposedly it is also incredibly dense. As it tons of factions, possibilities, length, etc. I would say definitely play rome 2. Can't go wrong. It is at the top of my want to play list but it is a big undertaking it my mind for some reason.
>>
I still like 1 better but I play Shogun most of all because the combat is a bit more compelling.
>>
>>319386205
Nostalgiafags will say rome 1 but that game aged like shit
Rome 2 isn't perfect but its better than the first one by modern standards

Mediaval 2, shogun 2 and attila are the superior choice though
>>
>>319386205
Atilla. Play Atilla.

if you just want to play a good Total War game, play Shogun 2: FotS
>>
>>319386205
Rome ii.
>>
>>319387347

It's not.

AI is still stupid and can't perform a proper siege and armies still turn into blobs the minute they come into contact with the enemy. No one holds formation in this game.

>>319386205

It's better if you started with Shogun 2. Rome 1 was a great game but few people nowadays would find it appealing. Gameplay is great but the graphics and training and reinforcement system would be too tiresome for most.

>inb4 some stupid yurop bitch whines about Shogun not having diverese units when all rome 1 and other total games just gave spearmen different looks and color
>>
Rome 2 was really bad on release and was too unbalanced. But after all dlc'c and patches I think it's actually really good and better than Rome 1.
>>
>>319386205

Just to add Shogun 2 has better unit counters and morale system. Getting flanked or reared end really counts and units being a rock paper scissor match adds more tactical experience to the game.

Agents are OP in this game though.
>>
>>319390174
I really can't understand all the hype behind Shogun 2. Every faction is practically the same with different color and minor bonuses to different things. You only have Japan to conquer and it's boring to fight same enemies endlessly. Absolutely most boring total war game ever, couldn't even finish the campaign because it's so repetitive.
>>
Medieval 2
>>
>>319386205
medieval 2
>>
>>319390278
>Agents are OP in this game though

They are OP to the point it get's really frustrating. Some times you have 5 enemy agents stalling your army's movement, and if you get to kill any of them next round there's new agent waiting.
>>
>>319390467

>muh diversity

Because it was extremely polished and because battles were actually dynamic, fluid and interesting and not just "watch two huge blobs hump each other for 10 minutes until one side runs away"
>>
>>319390920
The battles may have been dynamic, but every battle in that game is exactly the same. It's like platformer game consisting 50 times the same level.
>>
>>319386404
Nah Rome 1 is made for noobs, it's the best entry level game of the entire series. Rome 2 is more complicated, but that isn't to say it's better than the first. The first Rome was a very well designed game, it focused on its own merits as a video game rather than as a historically accurate simulator. To this day Rome 1 has the tightest Unit formation movements and commands of the entire series.
>>
>>319386205
Rome 1 is much much better than Rome 2. Rome 2 is actually pretty garbage.
Shogun 2 is best Total War game tho.
>>
>>319386205
I think Rome 1 is a timeless game: runs well, looks good, fantastic audio and music, and it's easy to get into but hard to master. You really can't go wrong with it. My only gripe when playing it after all of the modern Total Wars is the lack of Unit replenishment, how you manually have to bring entire armies back into cities to resupply and restock them.
>>
>>319391063

>The battles may have been dynamic, but every battle in that game is exactly the same

Those two things contradict each other you dipshit.

The battles weren't all the same, because they were actually tactical and your strategy genuinely mattered. Just because you're obsessed with all the units having different paint jobs doesn't make everything "the same"
>>
Rome 1 is very dated now. Both gameplay wise and graphics wise. Rome 2 is pretty good now, although it has some oddities. If you wish to play both, play Rome 1 first because going back after playing 2 is like playing Vice City after playing San Andreas.

Atilla is excellent.
>>
>>319391073
Rome 1 is just too easy to win, especially when you're defending cities. Every single unit comes through the door and walks around the city near the wall so archertowers shoot them all to death and all you have to do is finish them off.
>>
>>319391073
Bullshit. Anyone who picks it up today as an entry into the series is not going to be appreciating any of those aspects you listed.

They'll be thinking damn this game is dated and looks like shit. Not 'Oh wow look at these tight unit formations' that anon on /v/ was right!!!
>>
>>319391246
Only difference in Shogun 2 is that green faction likes samurais, yellow faction likes spears and blue ones like archers. It's the same battle with minor differences every single time.
>>
>>319391237
This, if someone got unit replenishment working for rome 1 it would be total war of the year all years. Because all the mods (and rome 1 mods are really really good) all have location specific recruitment for really good units, then having to bring those units from say persia to northern italy to retrain them is such a stupid fucking hassle that its not worth using the unique units.
>>
Medieval 2 is by far the best entry in series.
>lots of different factions
>good mechanics other games don't have like calling or participating in crusade
>early game units and late game units have great differences
>fighting and commanding your troops feels really good and tight
>has aged well and works fine on toasters
>has a shit ton of mods from Lord of the Rings to Stainless Steel
>>
>>319391815
>fighting and commanding your troops feels really good and tight
No. Medieval 2 has that annoying delay when you give units a command before they actually start moving.
>>
>>319391237
>Rome 1
>Hard to master

It's the only game in the series that I have truly mastered because it is so simple. Rome 1 is, by far, the easiest Total War to master.
>>
>>319391815
Med2 does cavalry to such a good degree that I look past the rather undisciplined foot unit cohesion (mind you that was probably intentional for most medieval footmen).
>>
>>319391904
It does have hilariously powerful general units if you game it right, I've seen a lucky general kill hundreds of mid tier knights on its own just because it has huge hp and attack bonuses. I miss that about rome 2, absurd generals made the game so much fun.
>>
Rome 1 = Medieval 2 > Fall of the Samurai > Shogun 2 > Medieval 1 > Napoleon > Attila > Shogun 1 > Empire > Rome 2
>>
>tfw I only played Shogun 2,Napoleon and Atilla

I loved Napoleon, got some rare achievement for it.
>>
>>319392191
>someone actually believes Shogun is better than Attila
>>
File: 1439871908126.jpg (28 KB, 601x695) Image search: [Google]
1439871908126.jpg
28 KB, 601x695
>>319391815
>has a shit ton of mods from Lord of the Rings to Stainless Steel
>every other battle results in the game crashing
>>
File: 1383649509000.jpg (23 KB, 232x197) Image search: [Google]
1383649509000.jpg
23 KB, 232x197
>>319386205
I still like ROME 1 the most
>>
File: roma surrectum 2 germanica.jpg (729 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
roma surrectum 2 germanica.jpg
729 KB, 1024x768
modded rome 1
>>
File: 1436635137169.jpg (310 KB, 1440x960) Image search: [Google]
1436635137169.jpg
310 KB, 1440x960
>>319386205
Rome 1, medieval 2, and empire all had great campaigns. Rome 2's campaign is complete shit and is shallow. However, rome 2 does have better battles, I cant go back to medeival after experiencing rome 2's beautiful charge mechanics

Regardless of which is better, I don't reccomend supporting CA's dlc jewry.
>>
>>319392335
use LAA you fag.
>>
>>319392576
>shallow
>every faction has unique objectives that parallel historical events
>>
>>319392335
>tfw you get ambushed by teutonic hordes after taking over all of Lithuania
>>
>>319386205
Get shogun 2 gold edition, don't look back

Rome 2 is shat
>>
>>319392335
I've never had that problem myself. What mod caused crashing?
>>
>>319392576
Empire had best campaign, there's not even contest about that. It's a shame they rushed that game to markets and it still is unfinished. It could've easily been GOAT if done properly, but thanks SEGA for ruining that.
>>
>>319392743
I always wanted to beat the Teutonic Campaign as the Order, but fuck me their early-game is hard, even on lower difficulties. I think I only ever beat that campaign as Denmark and Novgorod.
>>
>>319392819
Stainless Steel will constantly shit on your computer causing slow end turn times and crashes switching from overview to battles, not all the time but more often then one would like.
>>
>>319386205
Honestly it doesn't matter, you're only going to play the Total War with the time periods that actually interest you. I couldn't give a fuck about vanilla Shogun/2 because I don't find it interesting.
>>
>>319392708
The only plus that rome 2 campaign has is the wide variety of factions, and this would be present in older games if rigs could have handled it. But the province system, limiting city building, army recruitment, agents, family trees, pretty much everything is watered down garbage. The campaign is literally a turd covered in icing.
>>
>>319387347
Rome 2 is not dense, it's the most shallow Total War since Empire. Probably even more shallow than that, since at least you had to give a bit of a fuck about formations in Empire, whereas you can just elite sword spam move attack blobs in Rome 2.

Garbage game, I will never forgive CA for delivering a game that was not only unplayable for like a year, but that also sucked ass even when it eventually got fixed.
>>
>>319392928
the economy system was pretty nifty.
>establishing naval bases to control trade with indiamen.
>>
>>319392942
Denmark has a way too easy time in the campaign simply because you can focus on taking rebel settlements and especially since you don't have to worry so much about converting them.
>>
>>319393123
>>319393104
I've played a couple hundred hours of Rome 1 and about 90 hours of Rome 2 and enjoy them both.
>>
The "dated"fag graphics whores have arrived.

The under-aged are not in a position to speak about how something has aged.
>>
>>319393104
>provinces being specialized is bad
>building everything everywhere is good.
>>
>>319391624
As if Rome 2 is any fucking different. All the factions play practically the same in that as well, the only difference is a bunch of shitty reskins or recolors. Even COMPLETELY different culture groups play similarly in the end, and the actual differences between units are so minimal that it doesn't make any goddamn difference. Like how spears are pretty much objectively inferior to swords in rome 2, whereas yari/katana troops had different roles to fill.

Shogun 2 had 1 good unit roster, Rome 2 just has a shitton of superficially different ones.
>>
>>319393393
I've played thousands of hours combined of the previous TWs since Shogun 1. Rome 2 loses my interest at around round 15 since it doesn't even try to pretend like it has anything to do on the campaign map, and the battles are the most bland they've ever been.

Just imagine if Total War had a developer who actually gave a shit and bothered to improve and add instead of dumb down and remove features every release.
>>
>>319393507
>provinces being specialized is good
>building everything everywhere is bad.
>>
>>319392928
>Empire had best campaign, there's not even contest about that.

How about no? Empire had by far the worst map, and its mechanics were a mess. It doesn't even hold a candle to Medieval 1's campaign mechanics, which would have made a decent game even without the real time battles.
>>
Get both if you can. Play Rome 1 for as long as you can, then get Rome 2 with the Rome 1 soundtrack mod. Jeff van Dyck is the god of vidya music
>>
>>319393507
>flexibility is bad
>arbitrarily restricting the players options is good

lol, fuck off faggot. I would like to build a goddamn wall around that village that keeps getting invaded but noooooo, you can't build walls in villages anon, that's specialized to be shit.
>>
>>319392787
This. There are 15 types of sword infantry just for Rome's faction but they all act exactly the same in battle.

There are 4 different spear units in shogun 2 and they all fill different roles in battle.

Horizontal over vertical progression.
>>
>>319393972
>yfw divinitus plays
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GityoGjUj0g
>>
>>319394114
Just level up the city center. I'm pretty sure the tier 3 building adds walls.
>>
>>319393864
yes, who cares about pesky stuff like geographical climate considerations, lets fucking build everything and let cities riot and take care of the population growth
>>319394114
you put a garrison army there you cockmongler.
>>
>play rome 2
>mediocre as fuck
>get told attila is better
>play it
>its not better

Who actually thinks warhammer will be good? Idiots. That's who.
>>
>>319393104
What's wrong with province system? I found it more interesting to make trade focused provinces, militaryprovinces, industrial and agricultural provinces etc.
>>
>>319386205
I'd say it depends on your taste, and what you're used to playing. Rome 1 has more hours from me, and there are some fucking exceptional mods for it, it's got some really good mechanics, but it does feel aged, and the archery can be annoying at points when you see a unit getting peppered with arrows and barely flinching, it doesn't make much sense.

Rome 2 has much more visceral gameplay, projectiles are much more lethal, and if they don't kill, they usually get blocked on shields or armor. I'd have to say that the actual battles are better in Rome 2, by far, there's just more to do in them and they play better, but the over world stuff is better in 1, there's a lot of nuance to it.

I've heard great stuff about Attila, haven't played it though.
>>
File: Itsfuckingonnowchaps.jpg (60 KB, 527x681) Image search: [Google]
Itsfuckingonnowchaps.jpg
60 KB, 527x681
>>319394242
>tfw when order army to advance and Warrior March comes on

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmM_rlnYnmw
>>
>>319393127
Yeah, you can definitely see lack of time and polishing just about everywhere in that game. But i still love it, conquered almost all of Europe and America as Prussia and stayed in good terms with Poland-Lithuania whole game.
>>
>>319394382
After how great Attila and its later dlc have been, I have high hopes for Warhammer.
>>
Just get fall of the samurai and proceed to kill everyone with Armstrong guns, it never stops being fun.
>>
>>319393972
van Dyck is like one of the most severely under utilized composers and audio engineers in vidya. His soundtracks on Rome and Shogun 2 were fucking amazing, and the work he did with Alien Isolation was unreal, the sound design in that game is next-level shit.
>>
>>319391435
Sieges in Rome 1 are incredibly difficult to lose, especially as Macedonia. Just get some pikemen wherever the enemy is going to breach and put them in a formation like a V except with a flat bottom, put spear wall on and nothing will get through. Especially with shock cavalry, it's insane.
>>
>>319393918
>almost whole world
>worst map
>>
>>319394694
>Attila
>great

Good joke anon, tell me another
>>
>>319394510
>tfw hearing hymn of war playing as your soldiers march in teutonic campaign
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWtO2QvSAiw
So glad SS added Kingdoms soundtrack to the game
>>
>>319394997
Yeah, this works also on most field battles. Just make good spearformation and wait for enemy to attack.
>>
>>319392049
It wasn't just general units, I feel like there was a lot of RNG in it, an army attacked a town I had defended only by a couple spear and archer militia, chucked the spearmen in the street and fired flame arrows over them, the enemy rushed the street with thousands of dudes, and they broke and fled. Was a cool moment, but wasn't great strategy, it was pretty obviously a broken mechanic, especially when my units never broke for some reason. It feels like there's a randomised element to how units break in that game.
>>
>>319395107
Attila is great, though; in fact it's the best Total War game to date. It is a shame that you couldn't enjoy it, but calling everyone that disagrees with you an idiot and acting like a snoody prick just makes me think you're a child.
>>
>>319395326
It's mostly cause the AI is braindead in sieges and charges all soldiers in, one unit routes causes a chain effect, mostly happens because the enemy general gets himself in the mess and gets himself killed.
>>
File: 2545664-rome+2.jpg (765 KB, 1920x1200) Image search: [Google]
2545664-rome+2.jpg
765 KB, 1920x1200
>Rome 1 was based enough they actually used it to demonstrate battles on a history channel show

Damn shame what happened with Rome 2. And the history channel. Why is everything worse than it used to be?
>>
>>319395469
I'm sorry you were born retarded and like shit games anon, that's a real shame.
>>
>>319386205
Attila is the best title for new comers into TW by far
>>
>>319395545
Maybe the history channel can tell us.
>>
I just started playing Shogun 2 again with my mate, I forgot what a good Total War game felt like

It's bliss my friends
>>
>>319395628
It's aliens, it's always aliens.
>>
Why are gatling guns so bad?
>>
>>319395654
Shogun 2 is worst Total war and the one that started dlc-whoring.
>>
>>319395780
I forgive you
>>
Please be good please be good please be good
>>
>>319395601
It's the best Total War game, but it will scare newcomers away. They will pick a familiar faction, like the Western Roman Empire, and get absolutely buttfucked.

Shogun 2 is a much better starting point for players new to the series.
>>
>>319391073
>The first Rome was a very well designed game
Except for the wonders which fuck over your game entirely if you don´t have some very specific ones, or britain which will spawn 20stacks of completely golden PEASANTS who bumrush your elite legions for the lulz.
>>
>>319395859
He's right about the dlc whoring. Those faction packs are just shameful.
>>
>>319395545
fuck man Time Commanders was my jam, used to watch it after school, super comfy
>>
File: Empire-Total-War-Screenshot.jpg (214 KB, 700x390) Image search: [Google]
Empire-Total-War-Screenshot.jpg
214 KB, 700x390
>>319393918
Empire was a buggy mess, but you're talking shit if you honestly believe its campaign map was bad.

The map was huge with plenty of spear wielding natives tribes to stomp on. Trade routes were actually useful and, with the ship combat being the best in the series, fighting over them was fun as fuck.
>>
>>319396151
>Time Commanders during the week
>Bamzooki on the weekend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPgkos1GJ4E&user=zakerias91
>>
File: S A X O N S.jpg (811 KB, 2222x3026) Image search: [Google]
S A X O N S.jpg
811 KB, 2222x3026
>>319395904
I shed the blood of Frankish men
>>
>>319395904
Does this have potential to become new Medieval 2?
>>
>>319396306
>buggy mess, but
There is no but, the game was so buggy it was hardly even a game. The AI was so inept they couldn't even use ships to transport troops AT ALL. I can never take a game where France was one fucking province seriously.
>>
>>319396950
No.
It is literally reskinned dlc jewry. Don't buy it.
>>
>>319397124
But i liked Attila and only thing i missed was good swordunits so it doesn't seem that bad.
>>
>>319397051
Reminds me about my one Prussien campaign where Sweden went NO, took over Denmark a good deal of provinces i had to take over and France. Was pretty funny when i was running low on years and had to take over 3 of their provinces, had to invent Blitzkrieg two centuries early to win.
>>
>>319396950
>8 factions
>downsized campaign map

Not a chance. Still looks pretty good for a $15 expansion however.
>>
>>319396950
No. But it does look better than the other expansion or DLC.
>>
>>319394732
Preach, brother. I will never understand why CA keep going with that talentless hack Beddow. Is he just really cheap or something? Not only is his work tuneless mediocrity, the sound engineering in general is always worse in the games he does. Shogun 2 is the last world-class Total War game in the sound area, since that's the last by JVD.
>>
>get really keen for Attila

>No Greek or Greek style factions, loaded with Hoplites.

Literally what's the point.
>>
>>319397596
>muh thunka
>>
>>319397335
>downsized campaign map

Oh shit, what was I even expecting. I just wish that they could get that warhammer shit out of the way and start creating Medieval 3 or Empire 2.
>>
>>319386205
I played Rome 1 a lot.
I pirated Rome 2 after it was "fixed" and played for maybe 30 minutes. I just couldn't get into it.
>>
>>319397776
>Attila
>Greek Hoplites

You're about 500 years too late there m8
>>
>>319397776
>murican """""""education""""""
>>
Are there any good antiquity mods for M2?
>>
>>319397830
its not "downsized", its on a smaller scale. You still have a shitton of provinces, but the map itself only extends from Iberia to Bohemia. Makes sense as well; its a game about Charlemagne, wouldn't want all of France and Germany to be represented by 6 provinces
>>
>>319387347
Tons of factions and non of them will ever grow to an empire. You just end up destroying 2 region factions with 3 full stacks while roflstomping through anciend world.
>>
What's a good faction to play as in Attila that isn't a horde or the roman empires?
>>
>>319399025
I picked Saxons and had fun conquering britain and France. I now control almost half of the map and am the biggest force in game, even huns wanted to make peace with me.
>>
>>319399025
Celts are fun if you like playing with light ambush troops.
>>
>>319395904
I fucking wish
>dat empire
>>
>>319394694
>>319395469
After rome 2 Attila felt great. I took me 2 campaings and 2 coops and around 300h of gameplay too see that there are somethings terribly wront with that game.

I just hope they patch Attila but its 11 months after release and they patch only with dlcs.

Same on you CA.
>>
Rome 2 is awful. Play Rome.
>>
How does ATILLA fair when compared with Rome 2?

Do the battles feel at least a little more interesting and diverse? And are the Medieval 2 levels of tactics/strategy still gutted?
>>
>>319401316
attila is much better but theres still a few dumb mechanics like not being able to have two hordes in the same area. It needs radious mod but not as badly as vanilla rome 2
>>
>>319401316
*ATTILA
>>
>>319395208
It does, yeah, using a V shape on the battlefield with pike units was overpowered as hell, you could just push them into the middle of your V with cavalry/archers, and then close it in around them.

>>319395501
I dunno, it just felt like there was a random element to it, sometimes units would just never break for no reason, a random unit of swordsman would just fight to the death keeping decent morale the whole time, or a unit would just waver forever.
>>
>>319401396
>>319401384

thanks anons, where would I be without you
>>
File: 1434491623022.gif (1 MB, 290x189) Image search: [Google]
1434491623022.gif
1 MB, 290x189
>>319401384
>RADIOUS
so this is /v/.
>>
>>319401384

radious turns both games into pleb tier casual spam fests. fuck off
>>
>>319395904
This actually looks interesting.
>requires the base game Total War: ATTILA
Oh. Will pirate then.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.