[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spelunky Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10
File: XBLA_Damsel_Dog.png (52 KB, 184x181) Image search: [Google]
XBLA_Damsel_Dog.png
52 KB, 184x181
Im addicted to this game trying to get to Hell. Share stories and other stuff
>>
File: 2013-08-25_00001.jpg (241 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-25_00001.jpg
241 KB, 1366x768
>>
File: 2013-08-25_00002.jpg (241 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-25_00002.jpg
241 KB, 1366x768
>>
File: 2013-08-25_00003.jpg (239 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
2013-08-25_00003.jpg
239 KB, 1366x768
>>
>>319375369

You may not know this, but

**You're lucky.**
>>
>>319375178
i've been thinking about getting this game for a while. Is it worth it?

I love FTL and Risk of Rain but wasn't a huge fan of Nuclear Throne. How does this stack up against those?
>>
>>319375178
i feel like this game is REALLY hard, which is weird because it's popular and i had no issues with megaman or mario 4

i feel like i'm playing it wrong
>>
>love everything about a game
>terrible at it
Spelunky in a nutshell for me.
>>
File: 1412077917478.png (378 KB, 521x348) Image search: [Google]
1412077917478.png
378 KB, 521x348
>>319375178

>mfw co-oping Spelunky with on Ps3 and bro is on Vita.

Its like magic.
>>
>>319375853

What kind of strategies do you use? How and what do you use ropes and bombs for?
>>
>>319376016
uhh i use bombs to get into closed off passageways with treasure, and try to save a couple for tough fights or really good shortcuts or dog access

same goes for ropes i guess

and i think i get the basic strategies: throw pots 2 blocks in case it has a snake, throw rocks to trip motion sensors, etc
>>
>>319375853
Remember to go slow but quick, always carry a rock or something like that with you and don't waste more than one bomb or rope to get a crate, most times it isn't worth it. Getting the skull chalice from Kali as soon as possible is highly recommendable, after that you can whip the damsel twice to get some blood without killing them.
>>
>>319376510
>after that you can whip the damsel twice to get some blood without killing them.
WHOA okay that is stuff i had no clue about

i thought the chalice was just a big money treasure
>>
>>319375369
>>319375476
>>319375576
what is this? does the game slowly become more unsettling the deeper you go?
>>
File: XBLA_Shopkeep.png (43 KB, 187x179) Image search: [Google]
XBLA_Shopkeep.png
43 KB, 187x179
>Be me, 40
>Have my own businesd in some cursed cave
>Idgaf because great for ripping off desperate miners
>One day, hear rumbling above me
>ohfucktheidle.jpg
>Boulder tears through half the cave and destroys my shop
>Scream out "Youll pay for your crimes!"
>Instantly hear a miner scream back "Oversensitive fag!"
>Of course Im gonna beat this punk
>Miner falls down to my level
>Perfect opportunity
>Run over, shoot miner then throw him, not dead
>Throw against a wall fifty more times occasionally shooting him, definitely dead
>Continue to gun down everything in mines and fall on spikes.
>>
I bought it on sale for, like, less than three dollars, but I just am not really enjoying it. Maybe I gotta give it more of a try, but I'm just not enjoying it.

Plus, when I go to change the settings to 1920x1080, I apply it and can't get off that menu and play the game.

And the game is pretty tough. It's like The Dark Souls of 2D platformers full of artificial difficulty

Just kidding.
>>
>>319376710
The chalice is fucking great, remember to intercept all the blood from everything you kill (carefully), also when you get in the temple try to somehow stay below an attacking mummy receiving the particles from shit it spits, you can easily 20 - 30 hp before the ghost appears from that.
>>
>>319375840
I couldn't really get into risk of rain because of how tiny and hard to control your character is.
Spelunky plays really well, feels good just to jump and run around and stuff.
Permadeath is the only thing it has in common with ftl.
I really like it, it's one of those games I get into the mood to play extensively for a few days, then just sort of forget about for a few months, then pick up again.
All in all I have like 40 hours in it.
>>
>>319375853
Sometime the game rewards slow pacing, sometimes the game rewards boldness. All in all, remember everything is out to kill you, sometimes things can snowball pretty hard.
>>
>>319377126
>from THE shit it spits
>you can easily GET 20 - 30 hp

I might be in need of sleep.
>>
>>319377126
cool, i'll probably fire it up after work tonight

thanks
>>
>>319376762

The wanted poster means at some point he angered the shop keeper. Normally that means the shopkeeper will be jumping around firing off a shotgun and fucking you up. The player managed to trap the shopkeeper in his shop with a pushable block, pushing it until he was crushed.
>>
>>319375840
As someone with the same preferences as you listed, I have to say the game is definitely fun as hell but on a whole different difficulty level. You move very quickly and you need the speed but it will most likely get you killed. And it will be entirely your fault. Health is very sparse unless you get that one item that makes it less sparse which can be quite a hassle. You're gonna love it but suck at it. Terribly.
>>
>Getting the shotgun from an ASH grave
Groovy.
>>
File: 1446107062345.jpg (60 KB, 706x706) Image search: [Google]
1446107062345.jpg
60 KB, 706x706
>>319375178
>tfw paid version replaced the GOAT soundtrack of the free version with atmospheric shit
>>
You're playing the vastly inferior version.

The free version has some pretty damned fun mods and a sweet level editor.

Spelunky is a great game though either way. It's one of those games where if you go ahead and just play you'll slowly learn all the little quirks and tricks.

Then you make it to a new level and instantly die to some new threat.

It's great.

If you want a game that has that similar feeling of learning try the game "towerclimb".
>>
>>319377595
I like the new OST, sounds very Genesis.
>>
>>319375178

I wish I could get to the end of this game just to see it. I got this on steam sale like...a year and half ago and still have only gotten to Olmec once only to die instantly because I got out of the temple with one heart. I've only gotten the key to open the golden city once only to die in the process. Earlier today I had probably my best run ever, Got to 4-2 had $150,000 had 7 hearts. Died to some stunlock bs. where I bounced between a few things enemies while trying to escape one of those sliding blocks and landed in lava.

The shortcuts are great and all, I was so glad when I got them all open. But going into temple with 4 hearts and no extra items is kind of suicide.
>>
File: XBLA_Pitchersmitt.png (40 KB, 187x178) Image search: [Google]
XBLA_Pitchersmitt.png
40 KB, 187x178
What's your favorite item? I've always found the baseball glove to be extremely useful and tend to get it as soon as possible in every run.
>>
>>319377762
Climbing Gloves + Paste
>>
>>319375840
Say if you love FTL and want more goodness and higher difficulty try the two mods "captains edition" and randomized flagship.

Tons and tons of new events and lots of new weapons.
>>
>>319377762

Spike shoes and spring shoes are useful af
>>
File: Hell has arrived.png (333 KB, 512x812) Image search: [Google]
Hell has arrived.png
333 KB, 512x812
>open worm route
>these antibodies
>these respawing blocks
>full of spikes
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhjoUjtR1Zs
not sure if that knife is worth it.
>>
>Playing Spelunky with a selfish friend
>Hes playing for the first time
>I already taught him how to pick up and throw/use items
>Go to crate
>Destroy
>I shit you not, a PLAZMA CANNON
>I scream for like 3 minutes then tell him not to touch it
>While Im holding the plazma cannon, he runs over, picks me up, puts me down, grabs cannon and accidentally aimed at a wall we were backed in and fires
>We die
>Stop shareplay on PS4 and unfriend him
>>
OP here guys, those were two greentexts, but Im gonna get off. Good night
>>
>>319378540

Why would you get so upset? I'm pretty sure co-op doesn't count towards the leaderboards.
>>
>>319378502

It insta kills everything but olmec and ghost. If you have a lot if hearts and bombs, get it
>>
>>319379098

He was a bad friend, plus,
Plazma cannon.
Second level of mines.
From a crate. Think about how rare that is.
>>
>>319379364
I bet he is feeling really shitty right now. You should refriend him.
>>
File: wrIzWic.png (89 KB, 292x220) Image search: [Google]
wrIzWic.png
89 KB, 292x220
>tfw too lazy to grind deaths for the last cheevo

I should really get on it and finally 100% this shit.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.