[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
what went right?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11
File: TG-Destiny-Review.jpg (78 KB, 820x420) Image search: [Google]
TG-Destiny-Review.jpg
78 KB, 820x420
what went right?
>>
Nothing.

Its the perfect example that even the most generic shit of all time can be popular if you just market it well.

Gameplay wise its probably one of the most generic titles to come out in ages.
>>
Friends only played it for a 3-5 days despite trying to drag me into it, and were fully planning to leave me alone in that mess.

Glad I didn't give in and never bought it, that sure went right.
>>
>>319368741
>gunplay
>raids
>weapon/armor design
>The taken king
>>
>>319368741
Pretty landscapes.
>>
That they spent more in marketing than game development.

Devs realize that good games dont sell anymore, but hyped games do. Look at FO4 or Battlefront.
>>
The skyboxes.

That's about it honestly. If you still play after they introduced microtransactions you should feel ashamed.
>>
>>319368741
MMO grind
>>
>>319369259
I'll just keep on hating popular things, call me a hipster or whatever, I can't help but feel I'm right.
>>
>>319368741
The gunplay is smooth as butter.

The skyboxes are fantastic

The terrain you can actually traverse is very pretty.

Things have gotten better since TTK but I probably would have dropped this game pretty hard if I had been playing since launch.
>>
I liked the guns and classes.

That's it.
>>
They conned kids and idiots into paying $140 for $60 worth of content.
>>
>>319368741
Everything

its the perfect example of how to make a proper FPS MMO

Gameplay wise it's probably one of the best titles to come out in ages.
>>
>>319369435
>Battlefront
>Destiny
>popular

Please.
>>
>>319369552
I played since launch, got bored during House of Wolves, bought TTK to give them the last chance. It was good but since I have no friends to play I dropped it.
>>
>>319369874
>getting so butthurt you copy other posters to try and save face when your thread gets derailed with justifiable negativity
Fuck off shill
>>
>>319369914
>Destiny
The most popular console FPS right now next to Call of Duty
>Battlefront
Nigga it's star wars
>>
Ability to scam players out of money
>>
>>319370090
>destiny
Maybe it is, but this is this first time i heard of destiny since taken king came out. Also havent touched a console in a while and therefore no generic shooters, so my bad.

The active player base in BF is laughable, but perhaps will spike with the new movie/christmas, but with all the reviews shitting on it, and all the dlc, people may actually turn theyre heads to this game. But then again, it is star wars
>>
>>319368741
Dunno, best played on ps4?
>>
The graphics/artstyle is insanely good
It's a shame the PVP sucks ass & theres barely any interaction with strangers
>>
File: buck-rogers-10-2.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
buck-rogers-10-2.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>319368741
"everything could be better, but it isn't" ~ my feelings in words

I feel like the devs missed the mark on everything. Even the gunplay, the best part of the game, is only serviceable. The parts most important to me (world design, story, characters, world interaction) are all terrible. I don't know how the devs who helped create one of my favourite game series (Halo) can blunder this badly.
>>
>>319368891
You sound very experienced with the game.
>>
>>319369359
bruh. stop
>>
>>319368741
I'm late to the party, only started playing it as I got it free at Best Buy with my PS4, and I gotta say I love the shit out of it. Gives me that halo feeling in PVP that the new Halo's don't have, and raiding gives me nostalgic feelings to Gunz somehow.
>>
All my friends played it to death, but the consensus amongst them is that it's shit, but there's nothing else to play (they mean other multiplayer shooters with this)so they keep playing it and keep buying its DLC.
>>
>>319369359
Oh boy, look out for those microtransactions that give you whole new dance animations
>>
Is Bungie still making Marathon 4?
>>
>>319373907
Only if Destiny sold well, and it has.

I'm looking forward to it assuming they actually do it.
>>
File: fat-cat.jpg (17 KB, 400x336) Image search: [Google]
fat-cat.jpg
17 KB, 400x336
>>319368891
Were I a casual without all my gaming experience I'm sure I would enjoy the fuck out of Destiny. Unfortunately, just like I can no longer read YA novels, I have experienced better ideas organized in better ways so all I see now is terrible mediocrity.
>>
>>319374035
Good, same here. Destiny wasn't quite my thing, but I'd give a Marathon game a chance. Hadn't heard anything for so long I was wondering if it might have been canceled.
>>
>>319373907
>>319374035
>>319374846
They're signed on for three Destiny titles with Activison
>>
>>319373261
Why does a game as expensive as Destiny need microtransactions?
>>
>>319375032
It was all activision, plus they actually give you free "silver" one time only
>>
>>319375032
Give me an excuse why they shouldn't. Who cares, it doesn't effect you, get off your high horse
>>
I like the free content but it is always an event and you can not get everything unless you pay, I did not mind emotes costing money but its getting a little out of hand
>>
>>319375468
>Give me an excuse why they shouldn't.
For the amount of money Bunglevision has charged for Destiny so far I would never have expected them to add microtransactions. When one of the biggest and most obvious complaints about the game is the lack of content relative to pricing why would it ever be okay to add in microtransactions?

For weeks leading up to The Taken King journalists were jerking off Bungie on a daily basis talking about their new quest system and how amazing it was going to be. Why not use that system for the new emotes? Why not at least try to add in something for players to pursue in-game that lets them stand out from others?

Even though it's something as small as cosmetic emotes it's baffling how anyone can not feel insulted that content is being gated behind shitty cash shop currency in a game that has cost Day 1 adopters $140.
>>
The raids were actually challenging, but in a fun way.

That's something I can't say for any other game released in the last few years.
Or for any shooter you care to name.

If nothing else, I feel like my money was well spent on the raids alone.
I only played the first two though. Haven't really touched my xbox since just after hardmode crota came out.
>>
Soundtrack
>>
>>319372317
>The parts most important to me (world design, story, characters, world interaction)
Kill yourself senpai
>>
>>319375032
They're doing away with bi-yearly DLC packs, that's why. They decided to instead make cosmetic microtransactions as their main income so that they can use that money to bolster their live team and support the game more regularly.
>>
>>319369435
I see your point, but if you say that Battlefront and/or Destiny are good for the industry, you should go find a suicide booth.
>>
>>319368741
> lead writer got his entire story shafted, shredded and rewritten
> he leaves in disgust
> bungie says he left happily and on good terms
> activision shafts Marty O'Donnell
> he threatens to leave in disgust
> bungie threatens to take him to court
> marty lawyers up
> phoenix_wright.jpg
> marty wins
> win of the fucking century
> basically keeps all his stocks, rights to his music, royalites for music designed so far, all of that
> still gets to leave bungie
> bungie says they and marty parted on good terms
> marty calls them out on it
> bungie desperately tries to save face
> no one is buying it
> swept under the rug, maybe nobody will remember

Bungie are shitcunts now, Destiny is a dead game, I legitimately hope Activision and Bungie sink a ton of cash into this only to see it crash and burn.
>>
>>319376323
Destiny has only just made back (maybe a little more) the investment Activision put in ($500 Million). In our modern era of capitalism if you are not making huge profits than its a failure. Activision likely wanted double returns for their investment and microtransactions are they way for them to get there.
>>
>>319377469
As much as I hate to admit it, they made it back pretty fast.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?releaseid=870169

Unless that's different somehow.

Not to mention the $500 million figure was actually referring to the entire 10-year-long franchise. Not just $500 million for Vanilla Destiny.
>>
>>319368741
Bought legendary edition when it was on sale the other week, having a lot of fun with it.
>>
Raids and Rift

I exclusively play Rift in PvP to power dunk
>>
>>319376941
If you just want an arena shooter there are shit ton of them already. If the game is going to add MMORPG styled content then it should at least make it not shit.
>>
File: shame cube.gif (3 MB, 320x227) Image search: [Google]
shame cube.gif
3 MB, 320x227
>>319368741
I played a shit ton of this game and got my triumphs for year 1
I dropped it two weeks after TTK came out, I was just bored of it despite the new content

the game is a money trap, avoid it all costs
>>
>>319378393
Even more of a money trap now, with the Eververse Trading Company.

Man, just...just fuck Luke Smith. Total cunt.
>>
>>319378706
>Eververse Trading Company
short explanation?

>just fuck Luke Smith. Total cunt.
I was a big halo fan and he was the same during halo reach. literally everyone hated him. I'm glad that this hate spread to the destiny community
>>
File: what they said.gif (482 KB, 300x186) Image search: [Google]
what they said.gif
482 KB, 300x186
>>319377287
>>
>>319378996
>Eververse Trading Company
Micro transactions complete with their own fun buck currency called silver.
>>
>>319368741
They fixed a lot of the obtuse horseshit it launched with. The shooting was always great, the graphics were always good. The writing is still terrible but nowhere near as bad as launch. If they keep it up Destiny 2 will be GOTYAY.
>>
>>319378996
A new NPC (or rather, a NPC that disappeared and came back) who now trades Silver, which you buy for real dollarydoos, for emotes. They've said they'll never sell game-breaking shit in there, but that's a lie.

It's emotes for now. Then it'll be Ghost Shells. Then exclusive Artifacts. Then sidegraded weapons that just look different. Then exclusive weapons and armour. You mark my fucking words.

Luke Smith is an arrogant cunt who thinks Bungie is exclusively in the right in any and all events. Nothing is ever Bungie's fault. EVER. I really wish he had been in court against Marty and I could've seen his face when it was ruled against Bungie.
>>
>>319368891
this except it's worse than generic. It's outright bad in every conceivable way. I can't even imagine how it could be worse
>>
>The shooting was always great, the graphics were always good
both things that are very far away from being true
>>
I feel like it's a decent 7.5/10 but then again I never bought it until this year's $60 taken king legendary that had all the DLC + expansion on top of the regular game

And remembering how I felt about the game when it first came out I know if I had bought it then I'd be pissed as hell about the way they ran things and gouged people so I guess I lucked out
>>
Its World of Halocraft.

If you enjoyed both games separately, there's a good chance you'll really like em fused together.

>what went right?

Shotguns, for one thing.
>>
>>319374930
what does that have to do with marathon?
>>
File: stressed.jpg (215 KB, 1203x802) Image search: [Google]
stressed.jpg
215 KB, 1203x802
>>319379126
>>319379263
holy fucking god. you're shitting me?
man am I fortunate that I left that game right before this

It's depressing that bungie literally gives no fucks about their community that keeps their game alive

they are legitimately becoming worst than EA/Ubisoft, they might already be at that point
>>
>>319379206
> the shooting was always great
> thorn
> the last word
> Felwinter's Lie
> ANY high-range shotgun
> gjallarhorn
> anything outside of that was considered worthless
> people were excluded from raids and Trials of Osiris, respectively, because they didn't have a Gjallarhorn, or a Last Word or Thorn, respectively.
>>
>>319369723
This is the true answer.
>>
It had great gameplay, the gunplay was smooth, the weapons actually felt like they had some punch, the freedom of movement was good, and the classes actually had useful abilities that differed from each other. The raids, if you could find a crew to get together, was where the game actually shined, actually requiring tactics and teamwork to accomplish the mission. The problem was the game was a grindfest, and in order to sustain a grindfest, you must have a very lavish amount of content in game, which was lacking at launch and dripfed over the course of a year at a fairly steep price. Also the fact that the story was nonexistent and the lore wasn't in game really hurt it too. But by far the worst offender was the RNG loot drops, which could be fixed by having an in-game trading system, but since that was ditched, it just makes it feel like a chore to play as you grind through strike X 90 times to finally get chestpiece Y so you can level up and grind all over again.
>>
New Wipeout coming out tomorrow (literally).
>>
>what went right?

Gameplay was satisfying, but everything around it was bad.

It's better now with TTK, but not as good as it could be.
>>
>>319379865
> having connection issues
> post on Bungie forums
> list every single thing I've done to try and fix
> mention I've contacted my ISP
> a bungie BOT comes in - not even a bungie employee, just a bot that replies with a generic troubleshooter
> "maybe you should contact you ISP and see if they're blocking anything"
> bot marks the thread as 'resolved'
> no possible way to unmark it - a bungie bot's word is law
> still having issues
> internet works 100% on literally everything else I do
> different thread, different player, same issues
> 'maybe it's your connection'
> "I have Google Fibre 900mbps down, 750mbps up, and a 5ms ping time"
> bot ignores, marks it as solved

Bungie are the worst now. I legitimately want them to go bankrupt.
>>
>>319375164
They said they would give out free silver again. More will probably be handed out tomorrow to get some of the new sparrow shit like horns or whatever all the new shit at Eververse will be.
>>
File: Cash Dosh Bucks.png (627 KB, 847x472) Image search: [Google]
Cash Dosh Bucks.png
627 KB, 847x472
>>319375032
>need
Want.
>>
File: fish guy.png (120 KB, 470x344) Image search: [Google]
fish guy.png
120 KB, 470x344
Without Bungie, Halo became shit.
Without Halo, Bungie became shit.

Two titans of the video game industry, one cannot survive without the other.

Both doomed to mediocrity and a dissatisfied fanbase, and eventually, their downfall.

Such as life modern video game society.

How the mighty have fallen.
>>
World was at least interesting and intriguing enough to explore.
Shame they wasted that potential to build a shoddy foundation of a 10-year franchise on.
Taken King fixed some of the issues, mostly with non-raid stuff and with mission variety, but they still fucked up badly enough that the game is basically generic and forgettable.
>>
>>319380786
i will go ahead and claim that halo hasn't really changed much at all and that halo 5 is probably one of the better halo games as far as multiplayer is concerned.
>>
File: screams internally.gif (929 KB, 264x320) Image search: [Google]
screams internally.gif
929 KB, 264x320
>>319380213
>Bungie are the worst now. I legitimately want them to go bankrupt.
I was the biggest halo fanboy from CE, H2, and H3
I fucking loved bungie and I had good reason too. they listened to us and they supported their games perfectly

then reach happened and its like that whole company changed. Luke smith literally bullied the community by saying our suggestions were stupid. they never updated the game (which desperately needed it) and the DLC maps were shit. and on top of all that, bungie said that halo reach was their "swan song" and how it was the best game they ever made, acting like their gods or something, no joke

this attitude continued with destiny. I don't know what the fuck happened with that company and I don't care anymore. I want Bungie to no longer exists and I want the people in charge to know that their company failed because of how they treated their fans
>>
Luke still owes me a steak
>>
>>319380786
Reach was the beginning of the end and if you look at bungie's record of the halo series, the pvp gradually became more and more streamlined. if you look at reach's pvp and then destiny's pvp, if destiny pvp was halo 4, it would fit the pattern perfectly

halo was going to go to shit with bungie, but instead it still went to shit with incompetent 343
>>
>>319368741
Marketing, but not much else
>>
I just want to see more easter eggs
>>
>>319381152
I honestly wanted to give 343i a chance, but what with the immense flop that was Halo 4, and the bullshit CoD systems that have been implemented, fuck 343i. Am I playing Call of Halo: Modern Space Marines? Sure feels like it.
>>
>>319381163

I really feel for people like you.

You still had faith. In a company that had more than made it apparent with Halo 3 that they were done.

That great ending with MC going into cryo and the strange Legendary version where it might be the intro to Marathon was all I needed.

It ended there and I'll never care again.
>>
>>319381516
I genuinely enjoy Halo 5. The multiplayer is faster, and you can't fault them for adding new mechanics that change the game. They know by now that they can't win with the people that visit /v/.

> don't change anything
"THIS GAME IS BORING IT HASN'T CHANGED IN TEN YEARS
> change mechanics, try new stuff
"OH MY GOD I CAN'T EVEN TELL IT'S HALO ANYMORE IT'S JUST CALL OF DUTY NOW"
>>
>>319381319
Are you saying it was Halos DESTINY to turn shit?
>>
>>319368741

The only reason Destiny did as well as it did because sadly it,s the best current multiplayer out for consoles.

when you got shit that tries to nickle and dime you any chance you get like Evolve and Battlefront, F2Ps that are 10x as grindy (Warframe), games athat are outright unfinished, like Metal Gear Online, and then fighting games, which are only populated for the first few months, then all the veterans stick so it makes it very hard for newcomers to join, and then just plain mediocre games like Xenoverse and J-Stars Victory Vs, Destiny is gonna look like gold, when its actually just mediocre, but just happens to be the best out of a pile of averageness.

The only current console game that can compete with Destiny are CoD and Halo, and people are finally getting tired of them, because now the devs are trying to cram in so much "innovation", with mixed results.
>>
>>319379771

The fact that Marathon 4 is not going to be made for a very long time.
>>
>>319382573
>It's the best current multiplayer out for console

Except it's not, it's hilariously unbalanced and Bungie is about to drop a patch that's going to make it even worse because EVERYONE is going to stop sniper rifle camping.

Sniping in Destiny is brainless, dogshit easy because of the atrocious amount of auto aim on sniper rifles. Pulse Rifles are getting nerfed, Shotguns are getting nerf again, Sniper Rifles are getting range buffs across the board.

I hope you like Snipe Camping: The Game that's going to be Destiny's new meta for the next few months. Not to mention most of the PvP maps in Desinty fucking suck horse cock, they're awful.
>>
>>319381908
I just don't think it feels like Halo now. I don't know much about H5's multiplayer, so I'm not going to pretend like I do. However, looking at the way 343i went with in H4's multiplayer, the imbalances were real. Spawning with plasma pistols and plasma grenades made vehicles completely redundant in vehicle-heavy playlists like BTB, that and everybody used them as a crutch. Boltshots were just mini-shotguns you could spawn with, one of the maps made it to where one team got basic vehicles and one got a gauss hog, ultimately garbabe spawning, binary rifles being one shot to the body, and powerups and power weapons raining from the sky. There's lots more, but I don't want to keep bitching about it. Don't get me wrong, new stuff isn't bad, if executed properly. Halo 4 is proof that they can't do that.
>>
>>319383037

name a current online console game that came out in the past two years that's not super niche.

Also, I clearly said that Destiny is mediocre, no need to tell me things I already know.
>>
>>319382573
>because sadly it,s the best current multiplayer out for consoles.
This game has the worst PvP I've ever played in my life. Bungie is completely incompetent with metas and every single patch thus far has been a guessing game as to what form of game breaker will emerge within a week of it dropping
>>
>>319383179
I've played a bit of multiplayer.

Slayer starts you with an AR and either BR or Magnum (can't 100% remember).
REQs can be bought with in-game currency which isn't difficult to get, and is used in one gametype.
Boltshots have changed.
Binary Rifles have changed from a single shot to like a series of half-second long laser pulses, ensuring a kill only if you stay on target. Not like a Sentinel Beam, though. Still as powerful as before.

I recommend you try out Halo 5 MP. Only shame is lack of maps, but we're getting free DLC at least until June next year. Forge and Infection should be dropping in December, hopefully.
>>
>>319379876
>using Thorn in PVE
>ever
nigga people preferred to run with Ice Breaker, Bad Juju, or Red Death
Thorn's DoT did jack shit against elites
>>
>>319383419
I'm actually getting the Halo 5 limited edition XBone as an early christmas present, so it certainly couldn't hurt.
>>
>>319383645
I'm talking PvP dude, of course.

That fucking Ice Breaker nerf as well, though.

>>319383942
It's genuinely fun. Dunno about you, or anyone else, but I feel cool when I Spartan Dash out of the way at the last second, get a direct Ground Pound on an unaware enemy, or pull off a quick Sprint-Dash-Slide-Jump-Headshot combo in SWAT.

To each their own, but I'm enjoying it. SWAT in particular.
>>
I'm seriously going to stay away from Crucible when this patch hits, this shit is going to be the absolute worst meta Destiny has ever had.
>>
>>319384807
Haven't kept up with it, what's happening with weapons?
>>
File: 1423423622948.png (102 KB, 321x326) Image search: [Google]
1423423622948.png
102 KB, 321x326
>>319384416
>but I feel cool when I Spartan Dash out of the way at the last second

The best feeling is when you realize someone is behind you and immediately dash backwards reverse assassinating them.
>>
>>319385395
https://www.bungie.net/en/News/News?aid=14016

Also, more Y1 exotics being brought to Y2:
https://www.instagram.com/destinythegame/
>>
>>319385395
Pulse and Shotguns nerfed
Snipers buffed for no reason
Everyone and their mothers is already snipe camping in every game type

This game is done

And just on a side note, every single Destiny PvP map ranges from mediocre to dogshit. There is not one well designed map in this game.
>>
>>319382573
>forced to grind pve gear to pvp effectively
>in a shooter
>>
Sniper Rifles in Destiny:

>So much auto aim players rarely have to actually aim well, there is even a perk that gives you MORE auto aim
>Getting shot doesn't descope the user
>Several maps can be effectively locked down by sniper rifles, enjoy not getting out of your spawn area on Pantheon
>Fire quick enough to make two shotting viable

And with Auto Rifles getting buffed in this patch, Auto Rifle + Sniper is going to be the new PvP standard.
>>
>>319389045
That's literally only in Iron Banner and Trials of Osiris (Trials of Snipe Campers) where your Light Level matters. Regular Crucible is normalized so any schmuck can perform decently. However the people with Exotic weapons do have a huge advantage because the weapon's skills still matter in normal Crucible.
>>
>>319388703
>And just on a side note, every single Destiny PvP map ranges from mediocre to dogshit. There is not one well designed map in this game.

Absolutely 100% this.
>>
>>319389125
>bullshit body-shot Eirene RR4
>1000-Yard Meme
>raid sniper everyone and their mother has
>Stillpiercer

Am I missing any? That's all anyone uses.
>>
>>319389247
It has no place in a shooter.
>>
>>319389547
Why are Bungie so retarded. Do they not pay attention to trends in their own games, do they not read their own forums. Or are they just that fucking incompetent?
>>
>>319368741

got the destiny bundle ps4 because its white and looks cool, and because i wanted bloodborne

its quite possibly the most boring shooter i've played in years
>>
>>319390037
>can't balance weapons for shit
>always overcompensate
>just give up and make old weapons obsolete on next dlc
>>
>>319390037
>Why are Bungie so retarded.
Refer to earlier posts in the thread. They've turned from fun, whimsical, and loved into greedy irredeemable cunts.
>Do they not pay attention to trends in their own games, do they not read their own forums.
Bungie overhyped Destiny with trailers. They playtested PvE, not PvP. They just say the broken shit is fixed and the flawed shit is fantastic because it's their job and it makes it easier. Fuck them.
>Or are they just that fucking incompetent?
Yes. They "fix" shit when it's way too late.
>>
>>319390391
>Funbreakers are a massive menace
>Damage resist brought down just a smidge so good impact snipers can headshot them/golden gun will kill them
>Hammers still one shot the the blast radius is down 20%
>Cauterize, the perk that starts health regen on an ability kill now has a 3 second cooldown
>Sunbreakers are nerfed but not destroyed, actually a reasonable and intelligent change
The used up all their brainpower on that shit and left nothing for weapon balancing.
>>
>>319368741
Gunplay, TTK, raids, and armor/weapon design. Seriously, this game has some sexy ass guns. Some are ugly, sure, but like 95% of them are gorgeous.
Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.