[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have any anons ever worked at GameStop? What's it like?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 500x500
Have any anons ever worked at GameStop? What's it like?
>>
its like volunteering at a shelter feeding the homeless, except the shelter pays you better.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUd_7H8kBAg
>tfw you get banned statewide
>>
ex gf worked there.

she kept on giving me free shit

i have 10 alpaca plushies from harvest moon still mint in packaging.
>>
Probably better than Walmart.
>>
You are literally forced to shove down into customer's throat the membership, credit card, and insurance no matter what they buy.

Back then it used to be just the 10 dollar discount card that came with gameinformer.
>>
File: 1447377466083.jpg (75 KB, 540x752) Image search: [Google]
1447377466083.jpg
75 KB, 540x752
>>319367773
I worked for about a year once I got out of highschool last year.
You are forced to ask for memberships, the credit card, ask about pre-orders, the insurance/warranty with every. Single. Purchase.
However I did stop quite of a ton of kids from buying CoD and ass creed, since rated M and by law we couldn't sell M games to anyone without an ID, even with a parent.
So that was fun.
Otherwise its just a standard retail job, could be a lot worse.
>>
>>319370562
Uh,
Let me reword that final part there
Basically I denied sales to kids who wanted to buy CoD and ass creed, and once I told their parents it was a rated M game with violence, blood stuff like that they'd more often than not just not buy them it.
Since required by law to tell them they are buying an M rated game. (And show ID if the person is alone)
>>
Working there a few years. It's a disgusting atmosphere, just like pretty much every retail. It's all about forcing all this dumb useless shit down every customers throat.
This black friday we surpassed our sales goal by $50,000 and the only email we received was that we only had 15% game play guarantees and now we have to discuss with all the employees ways to improve those retarded year long warranties on discs.
>>
It's alright, the software on the computers were super old and really glitchy and annoying to use. Got a hug once from a mom. Pretty cool I guess. Discounts were nice too.
>>
>>319369548
This. It's terrible.

Also, not allowed to say that games are shit
>>
>>319369548
>>319370562
>>319370923
You guys make it sound like they have to recite an essay for every purchase. It's really not that bad from a buyers' perspective.

The only thing I was asked at Gamestop is if I'd like to insure the game for $3 or some shit.
>>
>all these complaints
Are we seriously talking about the same place? I've been working at my local Gamestop for almost half a year and haven't had to force any sort of pre-orders or membership cards. We mention them when they checkout of course but it's more like
>do you have a pro rewards card
>no
>you want one
>no
>okay

Like seriously I'm way more excited about all the vidya discounts and free shit
>>
>>319367773
Never worked there, but I got beat up two nights ago by two women when I went there to buy bloodborne.. I wish I was joking. They were inside the store, followed me out and attacked me right in front of the store. All I could do was really cover up. They were much smaller than me, but I couldn't hit a woman. They ended up breaking my nose and I have a cracked rib where one kicked me...
>>
>>319371645

>>319371075 here
It really seems to depend on who's managing the store. I had a super chill girl managing our GameStop, things were pretty lax.
>>
>Got hired back in October
>Worked the followeing Wednesday during that month and the day went by as normal
>They said they will call me to get my schedule set up and when they need me
>2 weeks pass and wondering WTF is going on
>Called worked and asked about my schedule
>Manager said I missed 2 days even though I did not know I was supposed to work and have no idea what my schedule is and told him you were going to call me when you needed me
>Another week pass
>Decide to call to be sure
>Ask about my schedule
>Saud they will call me back
>Hasn't called me back

Fuck this. Already decided to quit because of this bullshit. Now I am afraid if I get a new job somewhere else they might pull this similar shit. I only want to do part time jobs due to having a bad back and bad shoulders.
>>
>>319371772
>but I couldn't hit a woman.
what is equality
>>
>>319371772
Honestly man or woman, I would fight back in self defense.

Hope you called the police after that.
>>
>>319371772
you GOT to be cu cking me
>>
>>319371772
Prove it. Show pics
>>
>>319372098
why not just show up when ever?
>>
>>319368594
she/he/it sounds like Tobias from Arrested Development
>>
>>319372589
Doesn't work that way. They give you your schedule.
>>
>>319372589
Someone's never had a job
>>
>>319368594
>he starts sperging out about battletoads

chris.....
>>
>>319372218
well.. it wouldn't be equal if I hit them back because I am way bigger.. I don't know. My mom raised me that way.

>>319372281
I just kind of took it, I was honestly a little scared.

>>319372492
I'm really not.. it's actually my fault. I mean, I only gave you a brief description of what happened to me in the end. I said things I shouldn't have in the store.

>>319372496
of what exactly? I can't show you a cracked rib. My nose is a little swollen now and feels clogged up, but that's about it.
>>
>>319371591
They literally do, dude, those people just didn't give a fuck about it.

They have to offer any and all DLC, renew/buy a discount card, preorder a game, GPG, AND tell you to do the survey, as well as try to get you to buy something else.
>>
>>319368765
I have a friend who worked there who gave me a ton of harvest moon stuffed animals
>>
>>319370923
Sounds like my store. We had 280 copies of black ops 3 preordered, they wanted us to get another 320 Black ops 3, and 260 more halo 5 preorders in a month.

That would've put us at nearly 600% preorders, and most likely 10 times the amount of the #1 store.

And we got in trouble for not hitting it too.
>>
File: 1381335683196.png (193 KB, 448x595) Image search: [Google]
1381335683196.png
193 KB, 448x595
>>319368594
god dammit chris
>>
>>319372920
post your nose and timestamp
>>
>>319367773
Knew senpai that worked there. Trained to make fun of your purchases and pretend to casually discuss shit games.
>>
Do GameStop employees earn commission for signing up customers for Credit Cards? Where I work we get 2 dollars per CC. So we have 2 and I usually get ech customer to sign up for both so it adds up. Oh and you don't have to be approved either you'll still get your money
>>
>>319371772
Even if you insist on not hitting them, surely you could have stopped them from just fucking your shit up.
>>
>>319372920
What did you say?
>>
Work as a manager for one. It's really awesome, my store at least. Yea there's goals and stuff you have to hit on preorders and junk, but with my store we;re so successful anyways on other things they really don't care and just want us to put customer first. Real cozy work place.
>>
I work at EB Games. It's not that bad.
>>
>>319373358
And they want us to tape a note asking them to trade in the game a month later and get $30 trade in credit, and also offer that GPG on each game sold.

So we expect them to get a year long warranty on a game we only expect them to have for one month.
>>
It's not as bad as people make it out to be
It's still soulcrushing when you tell somebody their shit isn't worth anything
>>
>>319370808
I worked at Gamestop around the time San Andreas and GTA 4 was big. I loved telling parents there was sex and prostitutes in those games and seeing the parents getting riled up at the children.
>>
>>319371772
That's hot.
>>
File: 1354784681291.jpg (93 KB, 567x589) Image search: [Google]
1354784681291.jpg
93 KB, 567x589
>>319375905
That exact same thing happened to me, mom bought it anyway
>>
>>319369548
I worked at FYE for a while and we were supposed to upsell the membership card and some scammy magazine subscriptions. Luckily my manager was chill as fuck and didn't care what I did as long as I showed up and did everything else. I think he also sympathized about the magazine things, since he was too nice of a person.
>>
The management keeps pushing for us to use fucking tablets when helping the customer when it takes less time to do anything on our computers.
Other than that, it's constant promoting of Power Up memberships and DLC with every purchase.

Gets annoying so I try to be a bro and only inform those that actually look like they play games.
>>
>>319374050
I covered up but they overwhelmed me.

>>319374897
>went into the store
>saw them inside, both were kind of short and skinny, both blonde, one had purple tips in her hair
>they were standing in front of bloodborne on the shelf
>said excuse me to them and they looked at me and say 'excuse you"
>was a kind of rude manner so I said come on cunt and move
>one let out a gasp and asked if I was serious and the other said 'do you know who you're talking to?"
>I said move bitch I just want to buy a game
>the other with purple tips said don't let us see you walk outside
>the other demanded an apology and I ignored them and grabbed bloodborne and made my purchase and walked out not thinking anything
>suddenly they stormed out after me
>one smacked me in the head and they were insulting me
>other kicked me in the crotch area and I started apologizing
>one said it was too late and they started smacking but it wasn't hard or anything but soon it turned into punches
>got hit in the nose hard and was able to turn away to try and run but one grabbed my hood and yanked me back and I fell over and the continued to punch me and even stomp as I said sorry over and over and asked them to stop

they left in their car but not before spitting me. The gamestop employee came out and she asked if I was alright and said what I did wasn't cool and that was it. she didn't offer me help or anything.
>>
>>319377136
lmao you fucked up
im not saying they where in the right but you got what you deserved
enjoy bloodborne btw its really fucking good
>>
File: 1429385231202.jpg (90 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
1429385231202.jpg
90 KB, 640x427
I don't work there, but the times I do go to GS they don't push any of the credit card or power up rewards shit on me. Worst they do is ask if I want a warranty.

I hate going there though since it seems more like a thinkgeek/lootcrate store than a game store now (with entire sections and floor space dedicated to lolsonerdy merchandise and pop figures)
>>
>>319377136
Wow that's fucking awful. In hindsight it would have been better to bite your tongue through the rudeness but beating someone over it is uncivilized as shit. I hope you got their license plate, sorry about that man. Can't believe the employee didn't call the police
>>
>>319377136
Dude do you even know how many people would pay to get beaten up by some girls like that?
You won the lottery
>>
>>319377721
Yeah, we barely had merchandise back when I used to work there. We'd get maybe a few pieces for Christmas but that was it.
>>
File: 1447743846302.jpg (84 KB, 768x1024) Image search: [Google]
1447743846302.jpg
84 KB, 768x1024
>>319377136
>was a kind of rude manner so I said come on cunt and move

Way to go, autismo.
>>
>>319372098
Don't expect to get any hours working at GameStop unless you're management
>>
>>319378126
He can probably get the employee fired for that if he complained to corporate.
>>
>>319377635
I know I did. I shouldn't talk to women that way.. my mom taught me not to but I was stupid.

>>319378126
I didn't, but even still it doesn't matter because I got what I deserved.

>>319378424
I know.
>>
Any gamestop fight stories? any employees caught fucking other employees or a customer in the store ? Stories /v/ ?
>>
>>319378602
Dude, just call corporate, they allowed hostile people in their store, and you were attacked on their property AND the employee even insulted you. That's atleast grounds for termination, you can even sue.
>>
>>319378683
I met my husband while we worked at Gamestop. We fucked in the backroom all the time while dating. Still together after 7+ years.
>>
My Gamestop is pretty chill, both the dudes that work there only ever ask for the disk protection, and to do the survey.
>>
>>319378759
Why would I try to get people in trouble? Everything was my fault, not theirs.
>>
>>319377721
Not surprising considering they acquired ThinkGeek a few months ago.
>>
>>319378889
The employee was a cunt? Duh? So were those two chicks. Dude, that's easy money. People have been fired for less.
>>
>>319371772
>>319377136
>>319378602
>>319378889
what do you get out of pretending to be beta on the internet
>>
File: 1402583888460.jpg (297 KB, 1462x1462) Image search: [Google]
1402583888460.jpg
297 KB, 1462x1462
>>319378602
You shouldn't blame yourself for what happened.

At least you can play Bloodborne now UNLIKE SOME PEOPLE
>>
>>319378997
I was the cunt.

>>319379049
I'm not pretending anything and I don't consider myself beta.

>>319379074
I haven't played it yet.
>>
>>319377136
this shit pisses me off so much, where do these cunts get the idea they can physically attack someone over a disagreement.

this kind of shit will get you a knife in the gut where i come from, then again i come from niggerville so almost anything can get you a knife in the gut.

anyway came into the thread to post this, story about a gamestop employee stealing a game from me

>throw party in apt for cinco de mayo
>bunch of random fucking beaners show up and fuck my house up before getting kicked out
>nothing stolen, as far as I could tell
>next day want to play pokemon black
>gone, someone took it out of my fucking ds
>fast forward couple months to x/y release
>go to gamestop, immidiately recognize one of the party beaners, making small talk.
>see white cartridge in the nds/gba used game case, think it's a flashcart so I go and check it out
>just a bootleg naruto game, but I did see a copy of pokemon black
>remember my copy went missing, ask to see it.
>pay for games, go home to play them
>play x for a while, next day load up black
>my fucking save file from like half a year ago pops up
>head right on down to gamestop
>he's there
>tell him I know he stole the game, same save file, etc.
>says it was his friend(definitely bullshit), but gives me back my money and lets me keep the game.
>next time I go to gamestop learn he was fired for it
>they even asked for pokemon black back

fucking gamestop, they didn't get it back. i also encountered a guy claiming to be a navy seal but who'd never heard of BUDS that worked at an eb.
>>
>>319379337
>I'm not pretending anything and I don't consider myself beta
okay anon
but pretending to be retarded makes you look retarded
just saying
>>
>>319367773
Not gamestop but block buster.

It was awesome.
>>
>>319379337
>and I don't consider myself beta
You got beaten up by girls at a video game pawn shop.
>>
>>319379542
I'm not pretending to be retarded nor am I pulling your chain.

>>319379692
Yeah, because I didn't fight back because they were females.

>>319379537
Would have been worse if I said it to a man.. I probably would have taken a worse beating right there in the store. But men don't usually talk to other men that way for that reason. We do it to women because we can basically get away with it.
>>
>>319380112
You seem like an alright dude
>>
As someone who worked at different ones collectively for ~5 years from 2004-2011;

Misery.

No realistic room for advancement, and you're expendable like no other retail job (Our backroom had around ~400 applications, when we hired we just grabbed a few at random and called them). Corporate KNOWS that there are literally hundreds of dumb as shit kids they can hire on to replace you so they don't care if you stay or go, and thus policies of inconsistent work hours, low compensation, and little to no benefits exist.
>>
>>319377136
>yuros this spineless

Nigger if this was america bitches would have gotten knocked or shoved very hard. I would take pleasure in throwing a bitch against a wall
>>
>>319380903
What? I am American. This happened in the USA.
>>
>>319367773
If I had to work retail why work in that shithole when I can work at Best Buy?
>>
>>319381267
Is Best Buy good to work for?
>>
>>319367773
>go to gamestop in another state
>anon would like to pre order gaem?
>no thanks, I'm not from around here
>that doesn't mean anything, the game doesn't come out for a few months, you can come here
>no thanks, i got my own local gamestop
>but if you pre order now you get bonus
>nope give game plz
Why would he insist on pre ordering
>>
>>319380112
sanji gtfo
>>
>>319381797
You have no idea how much pressure comes down from corporate for pre-order numbers.

If you don't get them you don't get scheduled hours, don't get scheduled hours you don't get to pay for school, housing, food, etc. Depending on your housing and financial situation (which is going to be dire if you work at GS) this can make or break you.
>>
>>319377136
you should've peed on them.
>>
>>319379589
Maaaan that would be such a chill place to work at. Too bad they're all dead now.
>>
Seasonal fag here

Please don't. They haven't scheduled me in a month. Even if they eventually do I'm not going to show up, fuck them.
>>
>>319382569
They do this so that you'll quit on your own an not collect unemployment, FYI
>>
File: IMG_1149.jpg (35 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1149.jpg
35 KB, 480x480
>>319370923
warranties on discs.. that's a thing?
>>
>>319383562
That's what I assumed, still a pretty scummy thing to do. My friend got hired at the same time and they're pulling the same bullshit with him and another seasonal guy.
>>
>>319384063
Heads up, its pretty much unspoken regular policy in ALL non non-union retail across the nation.

Don't waste years in retail like I did till I made the switch out, get in to a trade, get in to an office job, get in ANYTHING but retail (or food service). You will be happier and better off financially.
>>
>>319384379
Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm in my last semester of community college right now and am going to be transferring to a real university in January, so this was just supposed to be something to put some money in my pocket and pay for car insurance. Now I'm broke because of these fucks and basically all other jobs are done with their holiday season hiring and even if they weren't, they wouldn't hire somebody that's going away to college in a month.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.