[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on Zelda U?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8
File: 1412524924241.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1412524924241.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
Thoughts on Zelda U?
>>
It's going to be shit.
>>
You mean Zelda NX?
>>
Open World game based on Skyrim. And Aounuma is the lead designer/director.

I cannot see how this could possibly be good. Its gonna be a linear story driven game just like Twilight Princess, but with huge empty areas you have to cross to get to the next story trigger.
>>
i like linear storys so its probably gunna be shit if it just drops me right in.
>>
>>319355572
If they use the 2D Zelda games as a reference of what an open-world game should be, I think it could be the first 3D game to do open-world right.
>>
File: 209835.jpg (125 KB, 800x606) Image search: [Google]
209835.jpg
125 KB, 800x606
>>319358064

>I think it could be the first 3D game to do open-world right.
You mean Zelda game. There's been a few 3D games in other series which did open world correctly.
>>
>>319357149
ALBW was good.

This honestly doesn't have to be anything more than ALBW but in 3D. I don't see how they COULD fuck it up, honestly, and if they do, then I'll forever lose my faith in the Zelda team.
>>
>>319357149
>open world
>"BASED ON SKYRIM LELEL BETHESDA IS GOD"
you are what's wrong with video games
>>
>>319359587
But he didn't praise Bethesda or Skyrim in that post. He was just pointing out that this game is inspired by Skyrim, which it was. Honestly although I love the direction the Zelda franchise is taking, it did irk the fuck out of me that all of those 'so quirky XD' fake gamer nerds kept on clamoring for Zelda to be like a totally different game. But then I absolutely loved the more open take on the Zelda formula with ALBW, so I'm cool with it.
>>
>>319359587

Aonuma said Skyrim was his major inspiration for Zelda U. You're an idiot.
>>
>>319358413
aren't most zelda games open world though
>>
>>319360439

Eh....yes and no. Some games like Minish Cap, Ocarina, Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword are actually comprised of various zones. Connected by one common area you could possibly call an 'open' overworld.

Also, I think people are confusing 'open world' with 'free roaming'. Zelda 1 is total free roaming. Something like Twilight Princess literally tells you where to go and doesn't let you deviate from it.
>>
>>319360439
So have you only ever played Zelda 1 and ALBW?

Even the Zelda games that are more open are more linear structurally.
>>
File: zelda2_conceptart_VRqvV.jpg (145 KB, 600x413) Image search: [Google]
zelda2_conceptart_VRqvV.jpg
145 KB, 600x413
why why why cant we have a zelda game based on Terada's concept art

fuck
>>
>>319360326
He literally NEVER said that once. Post a source, faggot. He said he played it once because the name was similar to Skyward Sword. That was literally the one and only time he mentioned it.
>>319359961
Source to where he said it was inspired by it.
>>
if there isn't an intended order for the dungeons it'll be shit

i mean, you can make the order not completely rigid, but if it's like LBW where you can do anything at any time the game loses its difficulty curve and sense of progression and becomes incredibly shit

also, ordered dungeons means dungeons can use each others' items and have more complex puzzles which is good
>>
>>319362591
Because it would look like shit in 3d
>>
>>319357149
It could work for Zelda. Skyrim was meant to be an RPG but fell flat and was more of an adventure game. Zelda being inspired by that literally means we are getting the original Zelda but with modern game play and dudgeon crawling. I just hope there is a shit ton to do and there is more than just the story
>>
>>319359363
>This honestly doesn't have to be anything more than ALBW but in 3D

Pretty much this. Ditch the renting system but keep the open world and rewards for exploring that ALBW had and the game would be great.
>>
File: tumblr_lg8l9zWK7G1qgb1o5o1_400.png (264 KB, 278x433) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lg8l9zWK7G1qgb1o5o1_400.png
264 KB, 278x433
>>319362842

oh yea? how do you figure?
>>
>>319362726
>Source to where he said it was inspired by it.

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/aonuma-looking-to-capture-the-feeling-of-skyrim-with-new-zelda
>>
>>319357149
Fucking THIS.

>>319359363
>ALBW was good.

It was mediocre as hell. It just seems good because it's the first Zelda to not suck a million dicks since the Oracles.
>>
>>319362819
>i mean, you can make the order not completely rigid, but if it's like LBW where you can do anything at any time the game loses its difficulty curve and sense of progression and becomes incredibly shit
ALBW was more difficult than pretty much any Zelda game preceding it in the past few years, although Skyward Sword in fairness was a jump in difficulty from TP.

>also, ordered dungeons means dungeons can use each others' items and have more complex puzzles which is good
In theory, but Zelda games have almost never taken advantage of this opportunity.

>>319362981
I feel like having more dungeon-inspired overworld areas ala SS could work too.
>>
>>319363149
It's on the fucking Wii U
>>
>>319362819
You're wrong.

Instead, Have every dungeon have entire routes/floors/shortcuts accessable with certain items. You can come to Dungeon #1 with Arrows and Hookshot and get through it better or find some secret section with something spoopy

Or you go to Dungeon #5 with Arrows and Hookshot and have a hard time, but still progress by force. Instead of using the hammer to press down switches, you'll have to land on them from a height by using the hookshot and taking damage or something.

Shit like that. Just make the dungeons anyway you want, not really requiring any kind of tool, but naturally, players will develop new and different strategies using all sorts of gear to tackle them.

One player might decide to bomb a random wall in a dungeon and find a shortcut right through to another room, whereas another player might do something neat like blow a hole in the ground where a water spout shoots up, use ice to freeze it and climb up to a ledge instead.

Make them feel like ACTUAL real dungeons and locations, entities with purpose and each room making sense and the equipment is just tools and possibilities for exploration.
>>
>>319362920

The problem is, his comments don't cooerlate. He says he wants to make Zelda U more like Zelda 1. But also like Skyrim. Those two games aren'tr similar in any way aside from having a large open world. Zelda 1 is a free roaming game. Skyrim is an open world with set quests and events.
>>
>>319355572
It will be good for their target audience.
>>
File: 46739-223931-10.jpg (51 KB, 500x311) Image search: [Google]
46739-223931-10.jpg
51 KB, 500x311
>>319363505

...and?
>>
>>319355572
Depends really.
Windwaker was good and it was openworld.
>>
>>319363535
Well that leaves us the question of will there be quests really and if so, to what capacity? again I wouldnt hate it. I would get bored if after my first play through if there wasnt that much to do outside of 7-10 dungeons.
>>
>>319363505
nigga have you SEEN the footage?
>>
>>319363505
>It's on the fucking Wii U
Xenoblade pulled something impressive for a Wii U, don't underestimate the console.
>>
>Link uses a fucking claymore
Will be interesting to see how he fucking fields that and a shield.

Other than that, the most recent footage which was a snippit after the TP-HD announcement looked much worse than previous footage.
>>
>>319363949
I thought it looked better desu
>>
>>319363797
>Windwaker was good and it was openworld.
It wasn't open-world at all. The overworld was certainly more OPEN I guess, but it was linear as fuck. You could only progress in the way the developers intended to. Compare that to ALBW or Zelda 1, where you COULD tackle multiple dungeons in whatever order you chose.

Now that Zelda games are becoming more open again, I wouldn't at all mind if they tried out the sailing, island-based overworld again.
>>
>>319363494
"difficulty" is a different concept than "difficulty curve"; i'd rather a game escalate from being easy to being hard than actually decreasing in difficulty from hard to moderate like LBW did

>>319363515
that's all well and good to say in theory, but in practice it doesn't quite work out as well. like, one of my favorite series is Fire Emblem; early in the game, because your roster is much more tight and you haven't had a lot of chance to customize, chapters are a lot tougher because there's only a few ways to get through each chapter. but in late game, once you've gotten enough teammates and had enough time to customize your roster, the game gets incredibly boring since you can just roll over chapters thanks to how many options you have. the bottom line is if you give the player more abilities without expecting him to use more of them you're having a reverse difficulty curve, which is no good.
>>
I love the idea of going back to the non linear open world style they haven't explored since the nes days. Trouble is: the market is saturated with open world games. Maybe it's an unfair comparison, but Nintendo has to compete with the open world experiences of mgs5, witcher 3, gtaV and many others. I'm worried Zelda U will just seem boring and empty. Zelda has been getting stale for a while now and if Zelda U doesn't have the wow factor to revitalize the franchise I could very easily see Zelda turning into another Sonic.
>>
File: neverever.png (167 KB, 318x308) Image search: [Google]
neverever.png
167 KB, 318x308
>>319355572

You mean Zelda NX?

BUYERS REMORSE YET ANON?
>>
>>319364165
Windwaker is about as good as an open world can get without making it feel pointless. I loved hopping in my ship and sailing across the sea. It made the world feel segmented and like I went on an actual adventure to reach my destination.
>>
>>319364367
desu I just played the original zelda after never having played it and had a blast, so if they can replicate that feel with some of the concepts in later games It would be great. I just want a 3D zelda that feels like the 2D games pre-ocarina
>>
>>319363269
clickbait title.
He doesn't say once that he is inspired by it for the game.
>>
>>319355572
I can't have any solid thoughts when Nintendo doen't show shit.
>>
>>319357149
Basically this. This is what you fuckholes chose though. Thanks for ruining my hobby with your pretentious big open fields and oceans full of nothing where all you do is hold the stick forward and you're supposed to look at the scenery and be amazed instead of, you know, actually having enemies to fight, meaningful content to explore, etc.

Notice how everyone worshiped Skyrim for like a month or two, said it was the "best game of all time", branded anyone who didn't like it as a "hipster", got their little arrow in the knee tattoos and shit, and now nobody ever talks about it anymore. That's how shortsighted and disingenuous most modern "gamers" are.
>>
>>319356171

this

not even disappointingly mediocre like all Zeldas after Ocarina of Time, it`s just going to be shit.
>>
Well at least it will be better than SS right?
>>
File: 1431149670000.jpg (48 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
1431149670000.jpg
48 KB, 400x266
>>319355572
>He still thinks it's going to happen on Wii U.
>>
>>319364176
>that's all well and good to say in theory, but in practice it doesn't quite work out as well.
>Ocarina of Time doesn't exist
>>
>>319364467
>I loved hopping in my ship and sailing across the sea.
You should have no input whatsoever on future titles.
>>
>>319365526
I seriously do not remember any puzzles in OoT that had multiple solutions. Have an example?
>>
>>319365092

People still talk about Skyrim and I still play it because the overworld is comfy as fuck to traverse and I love Nordic lore.

This neon colored, eye scorching abomination abomination of a turd is all on toon fags.
>>
>>319357149
Aonuma said that the gameplay would be non-linear this time around. So although Zelda Wii U will feature an open world, presumably the story will pick up wherever you wander off to next. At least for the majority of the game, probably excluding the very beginning and the ending.

I just hope it's done a little better than in A Link Between Worlds. That game's version of continuing the storytelling wherever you went was having princess Hilda telepathically greet you with a few lines of text every time you entered a new area. Although it helped move things along, I feel like a non-linear game's story could still be told in a more intimate way.
>>
>>319365735
>Aonuma said that the gameplay would be non-linear this time around.

It`s basically going to be MGS5 missions style game minus the versatile gameplay and looking like a psychedelic trip. Also no fast travel, because devs will as usually rush it and gonna they`re pad out the game somehow.
>>
>>319355572
Not much to think about.

This will make Skyward Sword look like a Masterpiece.
>>
>>319366343
Could you expand on what you mean by that? I've never play MGS5.
>>
I want it to come out
>>
>>319365471
It'll come out as a Wii U exclusive title. Nintendo would never go back on a promise they made to their customers.
>>
>>319365092

Zelda should have large open fields and a open world. The issue is, there needs to be stuff in the world to find. Not just a 100x100 mile empty field with a few monsters and set story triggers.
>>
>>319365685
>Anything you use the fire arrows or Din's Fire for (they're interchangeable, but must be sued diffrently)
>Getting across the Gerudo valley river
>Skultula in dungeons you can only get with items from later dungeons
>Pierre
>multiple routes for timed sequences (like going through Death Mountain to get to the woods)
>>
File: 1425860157913.png (75 KB, 983x1013) Image search: [Google]
1425860157913.png
75 KB, 983x1013
>>319357045
>>
>>319367492
MGSV is a shitty game with an open world gimmick that ruins level design.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.