[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What the fuck has happened to gaming? I remember years ago when
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7
What the fuck has happened to gaming? I remember years ago when almost every game lived up to their hype. Nowadays almost every single fucking game is a dissapointment - battlefront, anno, beyond earth, watch dogs, fallout 4, total war rome 2, elder scrolls online, sims 4, arkham knight etc. The list goes on and on. What happened?
>>
4chan made you a cynical asshole
>>
>>319342203
That may be true, but those games are still bad and failed to deliver.
>>
>>319341461
Number 1: you got older

Number 2: Mr Shekelstein started to see how popular video games were becoming and decided to take advantage of this
>>
>>319341461
Here, I made you a chart to help you understand what has transpired over the past decade.

>filename
>>
>>319341461
You grew up. Video games are for children, deal with it.
>>
>>319341461
Spoiled manchildren crying on the internet happened
>>
>>319341461
Casuals and Jews.
>>
>>319341461
Development cost has risen from previous gens so everyone is playing it super safe by appealing to either dudebros with no standards or weebs who would buy anything that has a cute girl that can be sexualized (i.e all of them)
>>
>>319342630
fuck you nigger
>>
>>319341461
Literally nothing, you just keep falling for bullshit because you're an idiot.

Plenty of games were full of hype and ended up being complete shit years ago. You're just aware of more now because the market is saturated.

Gaming is perfectly fine, and this "what happened to gaming" meme is getting old. You people are fucking insufferable.
>>
>>319342979
Getting mad because I told the truth. When the cashier sees a grown man buying video games they look at them just like they would if he were buying fisher price toys for himself.

Video games are for kids and anyone who plays them past 16 is absolutely pathetic. Period.
>>
>>319341461
Its just 4chan you fag
Gaming is at its prime, old games suck and those hipster can fuck off with their half life 2
>>
>>319341461
>I remember years ago when almost every game lived up to their hype.
I don't
>>
>>319343356
Please. Like playing video games is any worse than any other hobby ever. When you get down to it, it's just something one does for fun to pass time. I don't why you're so assblasted, but you sound like a moron.
>>
File: rage_beakie.gif (212 KB, 525x525) Image search: [Google]
rage_beakie.gif
212 KB, 525x525
>>319343469
>gaming is at its prime
OP may be a sad memester, but this is terrible. You can't be halfway serious, you Goddamned ruseling.
>>
>>319341461
>>319342203
Business. They are monitoring and researching people's buying habits and using that data they can calculate how much actual work they have to do in order to get you to buy the product.

Turns out nobody buys games for gameplay or the experience. They buy based on HYPE. Aggressive marketing gets the product sold and that's all that matters at the end for the banks err publishers that fund the games. If they sell enough units before a majority of the player base plays and figures out how shitty their product is then they win and can go on to their next hype project. Most reviewers are shills now and paid like the marketers they are. It helps that most games are strongly marketed to young men without jobs and needing something to prove. What better way to compensate for your insecurity than getting a brand new game to play and brag about all the cool stuff you're doing to everybody online.

TL;DR

Money, marketing, HYPE, and insecure consumers
>>
>>319342338
Its more that you're more aware of what's happening in the gaming world and as a result know about more failures. There were games that failed to deliver years ago but you weren't aware of them and only remember the good ones. Bad games in the past just flew under the radar and nobody cared.
Just like the world seems super dangerous nowadays compared to years ago which is only because of the internet and how much easier it is to find out about stuff.
>>
>>319341461
>I remember years ago when almost every game lived up to their hype
when the fuck was that? 1977?
fuck you and your fucking nostalgia

that being said, gaming does kinda suck these days
>>
>>319342203
Wrong, you browse 4chan after you become a cynical asshole.
>>
>>319343356
So what do sohpicasted adults such as yourself do for fun?
>>
File: frodo smile.jpg (37 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
frodo smile.jpg
37 KB, 640x480
>>319343356
>browse /v/
>"Videogames are for children, I am above you all"
b8?
>>
Sorry old man. Games are as good as ever, the ratio of good games to mediocre/shit games is the same as it's always been and the best games from this age can easily match up or surpass the best games from the past.
You have issues and video games don't fill your void anymore because they aren't the games you played when you were a happy kid not forced to deal with the harsh realities of the world you're living in. Your whole bleak outlook on your current life is reflected on the video games you play, which is why you are unable to enjoy them, but you refuse to believe that's the reason, you nitpick all those games to death in hopes of justifying your retarded opinions on them.
Your kind of nostalgiafaggotry has existed for as long as mankind has, across all mediums. Music is not as good, movies are not as good, books are not as good, everything was in its prime at your tender young age, when you were young and far more impressionable.
Commodore nostalgiafaggots considered Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past a shit game that handholded the player too much and had too much fanfare and useless plot, which interfered with the gameplay, unlike masterpieces such as fucking Bubble Bobble.
You either move with the times or you pretend you're above them. And you are clearly choosing the later side of the fence. But you are also holding on to them because they're all you have. Enjoy your misery, I'll keep enjoying my video games.
>>
>>319341461
when the fuck did this happen?
>>
Games are the same. Some good, some shit. The difference is you don't have nostalgia goggles anymore and as the one anon said this place has made you even more cynical.
>>
File: palutena_03_thumb.jpg (35 KB, 564x314) Image search: [Google]
palutena_03_thumb.jpg
35 KB, 564x314
>>319343953
tru dis doe
>>
>>319341461

dumb frogposter
>>
>>319343908

shitposting on 4chan is what all mature adults do
>>
>>319342338

No they didn't.
Fallout 4 is officially GOTY you contrarian hippy faggot.
>>
>>319343953
>it's not the business that's shitty, it's you
I love this meme.
>>
>>319344340
The lack of roleplay and character customization coupled with the amount of fetchquest it featured really bummed me out. Other than that, I guess it's fine. The companions are really good this time around, surprising for a bethesda game. Gamplay is much better than new vegas and 3 and it's actually enjoyable.
>>
>>319341461
>battlefront, anno, beyond earth, watch dogs, fallout 4, total war rome 2, elder scrolls online, sims 4, arkham knight
>western shit being bad
>act surprised
Really now
>>
>>319344602
The business is as shitty as it's ever been, didn't stop you from enjoying games back then.
>>
>>319344804
Civ 4&5, arkham city & asylum, total war rome, medieval and shogun 2, sims 1&2&3, battlefront and anno games were all amazing.
>>
File: RIPEPE.png (156 KB, 1023x619) Image search: [Google]
RIPEPE.png
156 KB, 1023x619
>>319344602
>fatass nostalgiafag neckbeard gets mad at videogames because he isn't playing them back when it was acceptable for him to do nothing but play video games in his parents house
Stay butthurt.
>>
>>319343648
Its true
The amount of games you can play is huge, graphics/controls are better, discounts, variety
Go back to your shitty one polygon games if you dont like 2015
>>
Three things have happened:
>You grew up, thus have become more cynical and skeptical, this makes it harder for you to genuinely enjoy games and most likely life in general
>Games have become more expensive to produce, thus the hype that builds around them in order to move units is so massive that the expectations you have will not be met
>Videogames are an oligopoly, so unless you're some tiny developer on steam, most developers are bound by publishers' demands, and thus the projects produced are more generic and cookie-cutter to appease the normalfag crowd

Gaming is more mainstream now then ever, and like all markets, suppliers adjust to the demands of their larger consumer base, which is normalfags, dudebros, and kids.
>>
>>319343687
This guy got the idea
>>
File: 1440528134537.gif (182 KB, 226x224) Image search: [Google]
1440528134537.gif
182 KB, 226x224
>>319345020
Or today. The business is actually getting more shitty if you pay attention to the history though. Or business is more transparent depending how you like interpreting it.

Only thing I'm bitter about is not getting into the business of duping retards and children while I could. I was a retard and thought I could help people and shit.

Oh well. It's still funny watching people fight and scream for the things that are destroying them.
>>
>>319341461
And that was when, exactly? Because the last time I remember thinking that was somewhere around 2004. And while I still insist that game has taken a turn for the worse since then, I'm not dumb enough to delude myself into thinking the fact that I GREW UP a lot since then, and I simply did not have access to the sheer amount of negative and comparatory opinions I have today.

Last year was market by a few good games. Alien: Isolation was a bold and beautiful game, Shadow of Mordor was fine, so was the New Wolfenstein, which actually turned out to be one of the best shooters since shooters became a predominantly console genre. There was Dying Light, which was actually a surprisingly well made mayham sandbox, there was Attila which is one of the best TW games yet. There was TW3 which, despite what many people said, was a game that succesfully capitalized on everything that made the previous two games so appealing and surpassed them.

There are games like Kerbal, Space Engineers, Mount and Blade that offer almost unlimited replay potential and one can sunk hundreds of hours into.

The reality is, OP, that most people here just completely stopped looking for games that they can enjoy to begin with. While there are a lot of things wrong with the industry, there is even more wrong with US - the players, and the /v/tards in particular.
The resentful "everything is shit" attitude became more important and enjoyable to us than any game will ever be. And that is the REAL fuck-up of the industry.
Compared to that, even the travesties of things like TESO, Rome 2 and Sims4 are actually relatively minor.
>>
>>319345143
Be a good little goy and get back to work, anon.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.