[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I saw a bunch of people trash talking BioInf earlier. And I was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3
File: Falling_Desktop_1280x1024.jpg (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Falling_Desktop_1280x1024.jpg
1 MB, 1280x1024
I saw a bunch of people trash talking BioInf earlier. And I was confused.

It's a pretty damn good game, amd I enjoyed it.

Why the hate /v/?
>>
oh boy, here we go
>>
>>319331123
You can't be this new.
Here is the short of it.
The actual game people wanted from the trailer 6 months prior to release was scrapped and the final product was what they pieced together out of the wreckage. It is vastly inferior to the other two Bioshock games and none of the mechanics worked in the setting as well as the games massive amount of plot holes and constant disregard for it's own rules it set in place for itself.

It was a 6/10 at best game if you never played or heard of a bioshock.

The long version would be several fully packed posts about literally every plot hole and failed mechanic.
>>
I can't tell if people on /v/ are trolling or retarded anymore, and that makes me sad.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdNhwb7iuI4
>>
The dimensional travel mechanic alone makes no sense.
>hey we need to get some guns for the Vox
>let's go to another dimension where they already have guns
>this fixes the problem somehow
>>
It was enjoyable.
Top keks just want to spill period juice over anything that ain't nintendo
>>
>It's a good game because I enjoy it
Nice circular reasoning there OP. What do you like about it? Does the fact that it strips away so many rpg element that defined the Shock series not matter to you?
>>
Couldn't get past that lighthouse puzzle. Shit, broken game design.
>>
>>319331123
Convoluted mess of a game.

>seeing that trailer prior to release
>awww yiss we finally Bioshock again
>launch
>BLACK politically correctOPPRESSHUN
>that ending

I wish that "Just fuck my shit up, senpai" haircut meme was popular when Inf came out. I thought it would be a redemption of 2, but nope. Plotholes, plotholes everywhere.

>Elizabeth is important
>better ignore her in every attempt to get D'WITT
>>
>>319331123

It's the video game equivalent of Oscar Bait.
>>
>>319331123
>I'll catch you!
>and then fall with you
>>
>>319333734
11/10
>>
>>319333850
>redemption of 2

But 2 was the best. Kill yourself.
>>
>THERE ARE INFINITE POSSIBILITUES BOOKER
>EVEN DO U KILLED HIM HE STILL ALIVE IN UTHER WORLDS
>BUT IF I KILL U NOW THAT WILL END IT BECAUSE REASONS

Wow, great writing.
>>
>>319333850
2 was the best game in the series.
>>
Remember when the trailers made the Songbird seem like he'd be even slightly relevant to the game? Good times.
>>
>>319333249
I haven't played the game but should I watch this?
>>
Its a boring gallery shooter.
>>
>>319334802
Literally the first line of the video is pretty much this critique will contain massive spoilers from the whole game and is not recommended for people who have not play it but do want a fresh experience.
>>
>>319331123
Elizabeth alone puts the game above and beyond the previous 2 Bioshocks. Geewunfags just can't deal w/ it.
>>
>>319334802
Its a shit game anyway so I wouldn't recommend ever playing it. I got it free with a graphics card and still felt cheated out of my time.
>>
>>319333325
The ending is the worst offender.

The lutece's are the real break.
>>
>>319331123
link to bioshock infinite and the game review industry getting BTFO out of the park http://tevisthompson.com/on-videogame-reviews/
>>
How hasn't this been posted yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_u18_BKczg
>>
OP here

So most of the hate stems from the change in game design?
There wasn't even a demo for the original trailer right?
Also no, enjoyment does not equal good, but how good a game is does impact enjoyment. It's harder to enjoy crap
>>
>>319335816
Change in game design is the tip of the iceburg.
>>
Had a pretty lame story and the actual gameplay was really generic feeling, Bioshock 1 and 2 had much better gameplay with the guns and plasmids.
>>
>>319336320

Also it was much more linear
>>
Is every single thread today going to be a bait thread?
>>
why is the leather and copper clad bird man invulnerable again?
>>
It's dumbed down from Bioshock 1 and the Burial at Sea DLC is crap.
>>
>>319335816

It was an average game at best on its own. Something you can kind-of enjoy - not precisely total shit, but nothing really wow either. Two big things:

1) taking a lot of steps back to simplify gameplay for console-friendliness. That never goes over well where PC gamers are in large numbers, for good and obvious reasons.

2) Despite its averageness, every media outlet were screaming GOTY GOTY GOAT for no better reason than muh visuals, and babbies first exposure to parallel universe/butterfly wank. Hipsters thought all the concepts Infinte was playing with were awesome and new and original, when sci-fi's been using and reusing them for literally decades. Even fucking star trek has done this shit in depth.
>>
>>319335816
The changes in game design vastly ripped apart anything that was from the first two games. It lost what made it bioshock besides the nice environments and plasmid ripoffs
>>
>>319337021
I can agree to the plot points, nothing new there. However this was the first time they were presented in this interactive way to a large audience right?
Thats got to count for something.
>>319336436
Doom is also linear, I don't see people complaining about that.
>>
>>319337602

The problem with the linearity is when you compare it to bioshock 1 and 2, they were still linear in a sense, but the areas were more open, infinite it's pretty much one single path. 2 was more linear than 1, but it still had areas with a bit of exploration.
>>
>>319337602

If we're limiting it to "interactive" exposure, over twenty years Lucasarts put out Day of the Tentacle, which was essentially doing the same thing using time travel instead of parallel realities. Just swap elizabeth in for a chron-o-potty. And that's hardly the only game that's done it.

Should be some chrono trigger faggots running into the thread any time now.
>>
>>319331123
ASS backwards story. It has more holes than swiss cheese yo.
>>
Wondering if I should go back to it and do the DLC?

Do I need to finish the game again or can you jump straight to it?
>>
>>319337602
>Doom is also linear, I don't see people complaining about that.
Yes but doom actually has interesting choices because of weapon types and varied enemies.
You can run yourself out of ammo in doom simply doing your best but making poor choices.
Bioshock infinite offers the player no real freedom, only the barest whiff of the idea of freedom on the developer's toilet paper as they flush it down the toilet.
Its a guided tour of boring ass scenery like WoW turned into, no choices only what we want you to do.
Developer's are fucking retards, you make a game so people can play it not so they can run through your vision exactly as planned.
>>
>>319339096

The DLC only serves to retroactively fuck up the rest of Bioshock too.
>>
>>319335816
3rd story was shit and made no sense. Loopholes fucking everywhere.
>>
>>319338264
Noted but they are in a smaller audience.
>>319337853
I can agree to that. Very different level layout compared to 1 and 2.

Also I'm just promoting discussion here, no trolling no bashing.
Just curious is all
>>
>>319334015
You're just fucking retarded if you don't understand that all time lines at one point intersect at the exact same place
>>
>>319339989

Why?
>>
>>319340082
Because that's how alternate time lines work it's like a family tree at some point they all came from a singular location otherwise it's just alternate dimensions with slight altercations
>>
>>319340317

That one location would be the start of the universe, and then it starts diverging from there.
Alternatively, it'd be when the two different Luteces were born.
>>
>>319331123
BORING, REPETITIVE GAMEPLAY
SHITTY STORY

Pretty good setting, but the setting does no a good game make.
>>
Why does being dead in one dimension mindfuck you in a completely separate dimension
>>
>>319340616

This makes no sense.
Wouldn't half the people on the planet be crazy because of this? Why does it only count for that one guy?
>>
>>319340616
Because plot and no one has actual data on what it would do
>>
>>319340317
Yeah, that's when all the divergences of the universes occur.

Not only would that not be Booker's baptism, since as >>319340470 said, it'd be when the Luteces were found to be born a boy in one universe and a girl in another, but it doesn't even make sense for Elizabeth to drown the player's Booker. It would have made sense to drown/kill young Booker, at that junction in his life when he was going to get the baptism, not player Booker who rejected the baptism, gave up Elizabeth, went back for Elizabeth, went through all of Columbia, and then ended up time traveling back to his own baptism.

It doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>319340616
Because you died and shouldn't exist and the universe decides to fuck you back into your hole
>>319340470
That's just a single point you forget that family trees have multiple families within them that can all branch out towards different directions the games main tree branch is when booker gets a Nigger bath and turns into comstock
>>
>>319333148
It's a troll. This game was so generic that most don't even remember it exists.
>>
The game chose to dumb down the rewarding, complex facets of the BioShock gameplay with the promise of a fantastic story and exciting action through emergent gameplay driven by free-form AI and reactive environments to replace it.

It only succeeded in doing the first thing.

>"Booker, catch!"
>>
>>319339096
The DLC are good and tie with the original Bioshock, you should play them.
Don't do clash in the clouds though.

You can access them from the menu.
>>
>>319340860
>GRANDFATHER PARADOX
>Except in Bioshock: Infinite's version, you don't shoot your grandfather so you never existed, it's you go back in time, say hi to your grandfather, and then shoot yourself so that you never existed

This bothered me more than anything.
>>
>>319341438
Second DLC was good purely for gameplay purposes. It was a much needed change of pace from the main game.

But the DLC in general were retarded on the story front and was just banking on OH MAN, YOU GUYS LOVED RAPTURE, RIGHT?
>>
Plasmids being wide spread thought Columbia with no explanation bugged the every living fuck out of me. Plasmids and Adam were huge plot points in 1 and 2, for them to just just show up earlier in the time line with no reason given is just moronic.
>>
>>319342198

It's because they built the game in 6 months and couldn't think of a good story in time.
>>
>>319342198
Fink got them and marketed them by having the Luteces make portals to rapture.
>>
>>319331123
Ridiculously repetitive chest-high-wall shooter that was just shooting arenas chained together. It had a few high points, but the gameplay turned into a dumbing grind before long and the plot couldn't have possible had more unnecessary twists. This game was the watermelon-sized redpill that made me realize how full of shit game reviews are these days and how low the AAA quality has sunk.
>>
>>319342373
See
>>319342373
>>
>>319339280
Varied weapon types? Bioshock Infinite arguably has more combat variety than Doom if you consider plasmids, weapon types, and tears. I don't like Infinite either, but you're attacking it the wrong way.
>>
>>319342878

> Bioshock Infinite arguably has more combat variety than Doom if you consider plasmid
Holy shit stop
There are about 4 different kind of functionally different guns, and you can only carry one of them which isn't a heavy weapon in case the game arbitrarily throws a bullet sponge boss at you. And the vigors are all the same, press button to stun.
>>
>>319342198
They explain it by saying Fink used tear shenanigans from Rapture to make them, but it bugged me that they had no purpose in Columbia and were only there because it was a Bioshock game.

They were handing out literal superpowers for free at carnivals, you gain the ability to control machinery and even people from a lady handing out free samples, and yet there are only like a handful of plasmid users in Columbia: a couple crow guys and a couple fire guys, and I think that's it.
>>
>>319331123
>Pretty damn good game
It is an alright game.
>>
File: 1381528317407.gif (494 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1381528317407.gif
494 KB, 500x259
>2 weapon limit
>While there's a wheel for plasmids
Why?

>>319342508
>>319343139
This wasn't in the base game at all was it? Or was it some easily missed tape?
>>
>>319343336

I don't get it either. It's not like the plasmids were different, or pulled from different ammo pools.
>>
>>319343336
It was tapes I believe.
>>
File: rTWDmuc.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
rTWDmuc.gif
1 MB, 320x180
Bioshock 1, you're an assassin guided by a secret code phrase.

Bioshock Infinite, you're a war veteran who becomes a prophet for a flying city who is impotent who travels through realities in order to find a seperate timeline where you're not impotent and you steal that baby from yourself and she leaves behind a pinky which makes her able to tear through dimensions and then you kill yourself but then you realize that you've killed yourself and so your daughter from multiple realities strangles you to death, thus killing herself(s) because now she doesn't exist.

BRAVO
>>
>>319343056
>four functionally different
Bioshock gives you a pistol, carbine, shotgun, sniper rifle, handcannon, minigun, rocket launcher, and a volley gun. I wouldn't say much of these weapon are similar at all to be narrowed down to "four functionally different types".

Also there's more than one plasmid ya know. Most of them do stun I'll give you that, but not all of them.
>>
So is anyone gonna post some Liz or what?
>>
>>319343994

You're right, there's more there than I remember.
The problem is, you've got to keep one of the volley gun, rocket launcher or minigun around or you'll get rekt whenever a boss enemy shows up to eat bullets for five minutes.
So even though there are a fair few categories (though still less variety than the earlier Bioshock games) you're restricted when it comes to what you can feasibly use.

>Also there's more than one plasmid ya know.
Almost all the plasmids just stun enemies and maybe do a bit of damage on the side. There's the tentacle one and the autohack and that's it really.
>>
>>319344474
Lower powered guns make you think tactically about how to approach high health enemies. You can't just run strait in and gun them down instantly, need to work around and use the environment and the game gives you room to do that.

>>319343336
Because the plasmids get absorbed into your body, so you can carry all of them. Limited to 2 guns is reasonable, it would be cumbersome to try and juggle 7 guns during combat and still be effective. I liked how they set that up.
>>
>>319340317
>What are roots
>>
>>319345064
Are you really trying to say that having access to more then two guns at a time is too complicated? That shit was standard pre-Halo.
>>
>>319345064

>Lower powered guns make you think tactically about how to approach high health enemies.
The patriots and handymen show up out of nowhere - how are you supposed to "think tactically" about approaching them when you have no idea when they're coming and no ability to counter them except retreating in a big circle and unloading all your ammo at them?
This is why the 2 weapon limit is so restrictive, you need to always carry a weapon that's impractical against normal goons.

>You can't just run strait in and gun them down instantly, need to work around and use the environment and the game gives you room to do that.
Not really, the game is by far the most linear of the *shock games. Compared to something like Bioshock and its Big Daddies, Bioshock Infinite doesn't give you a reason or ability to prepare in advance.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.