[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>openworld exploration >multiplayer co-op >unique enemies
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6
File: 1449514323803.jpg (27 KB, 960x527) Image search: [Google]
1449514323803.jpg
27 KB, 960x527
>openworld exploration
>multiplayer co-op
>unique enemies
>compelling storyline
>nonlinear progression
>huge weapon/item set
>customizable characters

why aren't games made like this? it's the best formula ever and nobody does it.
>>
>>319329632
>Filthy frank
>Shit taste
Makes sense
>>
>>319329965
please tell me how good your taste is
>inb4 muh linear railtrack cookiecutter design
>>
Because not every company can spend a million dollar on a single game. Even if they do, it takes time and doesn't always turn out right.
>>
>>319330062
You know that there's a middle ground between shitty open world games with no pacing/structure and a tunnel game right? A game's pacing needs to be controlled at least somewhat by the devs to be good.
The market is flooded by trash games like this, minus the 'compelling storyline'.
>>
>>319329632
>he thinks its that easy
>>
>>319330384
name one faggot. oh yeah you can't because you're just spouting memes.
>>
>>319329632
>filthy frank

hide
>>
Open world is terrible design

Fuck off
>>
>>319330568
>spouting memes
>likes filthy frank
I'm impressed. What memes did you think I was using? Go play one of those shitty survival games on steam, they fit your brief almost exactly.
>>
>>319330568
calling someone a meme spouter is basically memeing at this point
>>
File: 1411705109284.gif (57 KB, 300x184) Image search: [Google]
1411705109284.gif
57 KB, 300x184
>>319329632
is it was easy every one would do it, that said sum one should at least try
>>
>>319329632
Two worlds two was so good amirite?
>>
>>319330568
witcher 2 your argument is now invalid
>>
>amazing gameplay
>balanced and addicting multiplayer that never gets old
>outstanding graphics that run flawlessly on old hardware
>Story that rivals classic literature

It's that fucking easy. Developers are you even trying?
>>
>>319329632
Name games that fit that criteria.
>>
>>319331759
Day Z, Rust, ARK etc.
Shit games for 12 year old filthy frank fans basically
>>
>>319331759
none but all the ingredients have been assembled, all we need now is for sumone to peace it together
>>
>>319329632
>>319331759
Warframe may meet your criteria, but you are going to move the goal post as soon as any game is mentioned anyways, so lets just say warframe is as good as you can get.
>>
>>319331980
These elements aren't even good though
>>
>>319329632
>Hey look it's that racist half-jap/snowflake that thinks he's funny with his rap bullshit

Post something else next time because that fucking asshole is like every other Japanese-American that thinks being deliberately insulting is subtle and funny
>>
File: edgy_as_fuck.jpg (32 KB, 400x424) Image search: [Google]
edgy_as_fuck.jpg
32 KB, 400x424
>>319332260
>>
>>319332448
Open world games are shit, most people agree
>>
>>319332560
most people play CoD. your point?
>>
>>319331964
Sounds about right.
>>319331964
They make attempts, and those are often shit. Borderlands seems close to it, and for all that it offers, none of it is truly good. The term 'Jack of all trades, master of none' seems fitting. I'd rather have a couple of elements done well than all of those elements just being there.
>>319332183
Personally I think Warframe is a bit shit, but yeah.
>>
>>319332660
There are so many problems associated with open world. There are pacing issues, risk of the player becoming disconnected with character/plot, risk of having an empty/boring world, wasting the players time with pointless travelling over an empty landscape, I could go on. Then there's the more technical side of it, - it requires a big budget, causes shit loading times and worsened graphics.
Most devs don't know how to use open worlds effectively
>>
>>319332660
No, he's right. Open-worlds are the current hook for mainstream audiences. They're too clueless to require depth, so it's like a wide, shallow puddle that they're happy to splash around in, even though they'd definitely enjoy a pool a lot more.
>>
>>319332560
people also think trump should be president, lost people can be wrong
>>
So...Dark Souls?
>>
>>319333187
>>319333142
"If we make an open world without unique enemies, huge weapon/item set, and a compelling storyline, it'll be shit!"

wow you really debunked me guys.
>>
>>319333207
lots of, not lost people
>>
>>319331759
except for multiplayer coop, xenoblade chronicles
with semi-multiplayer coop, xenoblade x
>>
File: 002.jpg (341 KB, 1200x1668) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
341 KB, 1200x1668
Why don't all musicians just release great albums all the time? Why would they intentionally release bad ones? Hurr fucking durr.

How come writers don't write stuff better than Catcher in the Rye? That should be the thing they decide to do.
>>
>>319329632
Mabinogi
>MMOs
>>
File: 1428653736878.jpg (40 KB, 408x439) Image search: [Google]
1428653736878.jpg
40 KB, 408x439
>>319332448
WTF move it closer to the center.
>>
>>319333347
Not what I said at all. Try reading my post again, I never mentioned 'unique enemies' or weapons. You can't have a compelling plot most of the time in an open world because the player will probably ignore the main plot and just do side stuff/fuck around.
Most devs don't know how to take advantage of an open world. They just see it as something to put on the back of the box.
>>
>>319329632
>compelling storyline
>nonlinear progression

no such thing
>>
>>319333142
I like the fact that some people understand this
I'm more of the idea that you can make a slightly empty open world but you have to make it very good looking and so you need a very good art team
Anyway I don't understand why new consoles have to settle with worse graphics and 30 frames just because devs decided to go with the open world bandwagon
The only exception being MGSV
>>
>>319329632
borderlands does it all but the nonlinear progression, i mean, you aren't forced to do main missions, but that's the onluy way to unlock more places to explore
>>
>>319333207
Yeah. You would have to be an insane white guilt kek to not like Trump.
>>
>>319329632
Because it costs a lot of money to do that.
Hiring more and more programmers for a single game. If that happened it cost a lot of dollars and time consuming as fuck
Let's say 4 years with a massive budget for programmers, art designers, artists etc.
Unless everyone brought it It would not be worth the effort
>>
>>319333347
And no mention of combat mechanics or any general gameplay? Great, yeah, fucking list mechanics and say 'if a developer did a good job with all of these we'd have a good game!'
Not everybody likes open-worlds, anyway. Fuck, Anon, this is a pointless thread.
>>
>>319333347
Open world games often make a game that could've been linear worse. MGSV is a good example. The game got really repetitive because there was little unique content for the player (just a bunch of copy-pasted outposts because of the open world structure). The player was always fucking around in the open world too, so they lost interest in the main plot/the game adapted to the open world structure by focusing less on the plot. If it was linear like the other games the pacing problems would've disappeared.
The budget and timing issues would've disappeared too most likely, that stuff must have cost a lot of resources to create.

I don't get why you think enemies and loads of weapons would make a good game either.
>>
>>319334201
you only hate bad open worlds. stop comparing every single one to skyrim jesus.
>>
>>319334737
Name a game with a 'good' open world then
>>
ey b0ss
>>
>>319334279
Kojima said it, he's always wanted to make MGS more like MGSV, with a big map and the choice for the player to study the whole place and choose his strategy, entry and exit point and more
That's what he focused more on
The only problem is that he didn't foresee the fact that his huge map would take away stuff from the pacing
I honestly didn't have that issue at all, I spent the free time between side ops and main ops listening to cassette tapes, finding stuff in outposts and going back to motherbase for some unique cutscenes and keeping the morale up
It was a mistake to focus way less on the plot compared to the usual MGS but I think he predicted it and wanted to experiment
I think that, should there ever be another Kojima MGS game, he would make a smaller world and focus on the plot more heavily
>>
>>319334737
Do you actually think that Skyrim is an example of a good open world?
>>
>>319331964
>DayZ, Rust, ARK
>unique enemies
>storyline
try again m9
>>
>>319331964
>Rust, ARK
Yeah if you enjoy fucking endless grind. Fucking horrible example. Rather play Unturned. Oh wait I actually enjoy playing that fucking buggy shit.
>DayZ
Where is the story for these three games?
>>
>>319334861
gta and rock star have been putting out good open world games for a long time, with consistent quality, none of there games are perfect but sufficient to call you a faggot
>>
>>319334737
I never said I hate open-worlds, although I dislike a vast majority of them. In most cases, segmented locations work a lot better than open-worlds. It opens chances of a general quality boost, because there isn't an unnecessary space of nothing that acts as a glorified bridge to your next destination.
When an open-world is designed, and the character is simply part of a functioning world around them, it's nowhere near as bad. GTA might be an example of that, but it still suffers by limited content within its space. Having nothing to do in a lot of space is worse than having a lot to do in a small space.
>>
>>319334893
>Kojima said it, he's always wanted to make MGS more like MGSV, with a big map and the choice for the player to study the whole place and choose his strategy, entry and exit point and more
I thought that MGS3 did that well enough, while maintaining great pacing and narrative focus. It was great at giving the player a lot of options for infiltration.

>I honestly didn't have that issue at all
The problem was the mission structure imo. You go in, wait 30 seconds for the AC to land, run/ride/drive to your destination, then go in and extract/destroy thing.

> he would make a smaller world and focus on the plot more heavily
Yeah, I just want him to make a more linear game that allows an open ended approach
>>
>>319335018
>m9
Why are there so many underaged kids in this thread? Its probably filthy franks fault.
>>319335326
I wasn't trying to say that those games are good. They're just a shit fad, the sooner they go away the better.

Obviously those games don't fit the requirements exactly but they're probably the closest we're going to get. You can't have a good story in an open world game. Not sure what you mean by 'unique' enemies though, or why thats so important for a good game.
>>
>>319335401
Their open worlds often have problems with content. GtaV did this - the space is filled up with minigames, the open world exists to be driven through. RDR made you stare at your horse's arse for 10 minutes at a time while you rode across empty landscapes. I still liked the games but their open worlds weren't perfect.
A better example would be dark souls. The world in that game is full of content, isn't too big and its interesting to traverse. It was also impressive to see how the world fit together logically, with the placement of its different areas.
>>
You basically just described Dark Souls.
>>
>>319329632
>filthy frank
How old are you?
>>
>>319336347
i agree 100% i go back and play dark souls more the any gta, its just an example of good open world, im not saying the best, dark souls might even hold that spot, who knows
Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.