[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me, /v/, when you think of a roleplaying game that has made
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9
Tell me, /v/, when you think of a roleplaying game that has made you care immensely for it's story, setting, characters and events, one that has had you thinking about it for a long time well after you finished playing it, just because of it's story.

Which game do you think of?
>>
Chrono Trigger
>>
Geneforge
>>
Legend of dragoon
>>
Final Fantasy VI
>>
Legend of Legaia, from what I can remember.
>>
>>319329319
Planescape Torment
>>
>>319331016

This one.

Do you still remember...all the time that has gone by...
>>
>>319329319

Planescape: Torment wins it by a mile.

It's a damn shame none of my other favorite settings (Dark Dun, Eberron) ever got equivalent games.

I'm still pissed that Tides of Numenera got funded. Numenera is a dogshit setting.
>>
>>319331740
You are free to sever the chains of fate that bind you

Fucking fuck that fucker Lloyd
>>
Final Fantasy VII
>>
>>319329319
Dark Souls

Cope.
>>
File: Emil.png (883 KB, 1167x719) Image search: [Google]
Emil.png
883 KB, 1167x719
>>319329319
Maybe Grandia, or Nier. I rented it on impulse and was surprised with what I got.
>>
File: 47 Shiggy.png (1 MB, 847x714) Image search: [Google]
47 Shiggy.png
1 MB, 847x714
>>319333371
>Dark Souls
>Role Playing Game
>>
>>319334495
>Not a role playing game
>Despite all the playing a role you do
>Even has stat progression and weapon upgrades for the fuckwits that think that's a requirement of the genre
>>
Mass Effect

>hurr durr EA, hurr durr Bioware

I don't give a fuck, the series was good to me and all the characters and adventures, i know about the band ending and all the shit that happened (day one DLC, cringeworthy dialogues, IGN reporter, Tali's face, etc.) and i agree that it was terrible but i still love the 3 games and the entire adventure.
>>
>>319334850
bad*
>>
>>319329319
Neverwinter Nights Custom Modules.
>>
>>319334850
It's ok, you are just young and haven't got to better stuff yet.
>>
>>319334495
Dark Souls is literally the only RPG I've ever played where I felt the desire to have a backstory for characters and do actual role playing when co-oping/invading.
>>
File: 22.jpg (3 KB, 120x120) Image search: [Google]
22.jpg
3 KB, 120x120
>>319329319
>Tell me, /v/, when you think of a roleplaying game that has made you care immensely for it's story, setting, characters and events, one that has had you thinking about it for a long time well after you finished playing it, just because of it's story.
If we want to limit this to Roleplaying games only, then it would be these games:
The Witcher 1 and 3
Morrowind
Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines.

If we don't want to restrict ourselves to RPG's only, then it would be Pathologic more than any of those I mentioned above.
>>
>>319334818
>Asssassins Creed is an RPG because you are playing a role in a game

>>319335230
> the only RPG I've ever played where
Yeah I'm sure the list is huge.
>>
Mother 3
It's just so melancholy. The world slowly becomes more lonely as it goes on. But the ending is happy... I think?
>>
>>319329319
FFX
>>
>>319335348
>>Asssassins Creed is an RPG because you are playing a role in a game
>Roleplaying games are only 1990's SNES party based games
>>
>>319335230
So you are saying that you desired to learn more because of how awful the story was?

Seriously I will never understand Soulsfags and there apparent "MUH DEEP LORE" shit. The games aren't deep at all, they just doesn't have a fucking story but because some shitty Theory Youtube Faggots make videos about teh lore you all think its teh bestest xD.

Seriously, soulsfags are the jojosfags of Vidya Gaems.
>>
>>319335507
>what are crpgs
>>
>>319329319
new vegas
>>
>>319335136
>muh nature of man

Just fuck off to /vr/ already.
>>
>>319335743
>CRPGs
>Pretty fun actually
>Finally we can agree
>>
>>319334495
its an action rpg like diablo
>>
>>319334850
bioware please leave
>>
>>319335895
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Just fuck off. I knew Soulsfags were retards who didn't even play video games, but I didn't know it was THIS bad.
>>
>>319329319
I hate being that guy, but Dragon Age Origins by default since it almost made me flunk out of college
>>
>>319336093
just got here and grow up already soul haters like you make souls fags look good
>>
>>319336258
You fucking compared Dark Souls to Diablo m8. In what fucking way, in anyway, is Dark Souls like fucking Diablo? In what way?
>>
File: 1446937472913.gif (480 KB, 493x342) Image search: [Google]
1446937472913.gif
480 KB, 493x342
>>319336093
>someone actually took the time to act like a 5 year old
>>
File: 1449436840184.jpg (617 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1449436840184.jpg
617 KB, 1280x960
>>319329319
FF7.
Chrono cross
Legend of dragoon
Lunar: SSSC and Lunar Eternal Blue
Dragon's Dogma
Souls and BB.
>>
>>319336258
>>319336407
Spotted the Assblasted Soulsfags.
>>
>>319336390
demons and swords. everytin i need m8
>>
File: 1447641996119.jpg (62 KB, 680x680) Image search: [Google]
1447641996119.jpg
62 KB, 680x680
>>319336390
no I called it an action rpg because it has just as many rpg mechanics as diablo but please act like a bigger dipshit
>>
soulsfag here i just like figuring out and speculating lore rather then just reading what's there. Of course there are other games who share that principle but i just found dark souls more alluring
>>
>>319336606
I guess fucking Shadow Warrior is like Diablo as well then?
>>319336625
No, you literally said it was an ARPG like Diablo. It isn't. Even Diablo III has better fucking RPG Mechanics than Dark Souls which is a glorified rolling simulator.

What you did was like IGN saying Farcry 3 is Skyrim with guns. That is the shit you did.
>>
>>319336856
no I called it an action rpg because it has just as many rpg mechanics as other arpgs like diablo if you weren't a moron you would have figured it out by now
>>
If OP had just said
>when you think of a game

instead of
>when you think of a roleplaying game

This would have been a very different thread.
>>
>>319335743
games where you can create a character and can improve your stats, and the stats make a difference in how you play the game?
not the same guy, but how is dark souls not an RPG just because it has minimal dialogue to develop your character
>>
Souls counts and you're all faggots memeing about it because you hate the game.
>>
>>319337764
Its an action/hack and slash game with a level up system. Action-RPGs by default are more Action games than RPGs. It has almost nothing in common.

THPS has stats and character creation, customization, is that an RPG?
>>
>>319338161
Is there a reason it's not?
>>
>>319338161
Actually, the RPG mechanics in Souls, while completely and exclusively combat oriented, are pretty damn fucking extensive, and result in build-commitment. That is well enough to clarify for an action RPG - hell, it's far more of an RPG than games like Skyrim or Fallout 4 are.

I don't like Souls games, actually, but you people insisting that they aren't RPG's are fucking retards, and fucking pathetic to the boot. You don't like how the game got covered in fan saliva and treated as the second coming of Christ? Fine, I'm completely in agreement with you there.
But claiming that the game is somehow not an RPG, despite clear and extensive branching character development and multiple build possibilities drastically affecting your gamestyle is somehow magically not an RPG because you don't like how it's fanbase behaves is still fucking pathetic.

Snap of out this shit, learn some basic self-control and stop acting like fucking children.
>>
>>319338642
You've either never played a real RPG, or never played a hack and slash game. Go and play a few of each and tell me where Dark Souls belongs. Play more fucking games.
>>
>>319338824
you were wrong get over it and grow up
>>
>>319329319
Mass Effect. The characters were the only thing besides MP that 3 did well.

Witcher 3. Felt the relationship between Geralt and his friends and between Geralt and Ciri were extremely well done.

PS:T.

BG2.

KOTOR1 and 2.
>>
>>319338824
>Play more fucking games.
Do I need to list out RPG's I've played? Do you realize that this is a bitchfit you are showing off here, because you don't like the games. Because somehow it's emotionally extremely important to you that people who enjoy game you don't enjoy don't call the game under label you've grown some bizzare attachement to.

And here is a fun little part: the term hack-and-slash originates FROM PEN AND PAPER ROLEPLAYING GAMES. It has never been clearly separated from RPG's, it's loosely defined to begin with, frequently used as a fucking synonym for action RPG.
Seriously, you fucking moron, hack-and-slash literally originates from D'nD environment, used as a term for roleplaying campaigns that had little focus on other elements of the campaign aside from combat.

This is one gigantic fucking joke, and you are the fucking punchline.
The term RPG applies to games that you might not personally like. And it's broad enough to encompass a huge variety of games with very different nature (you should probably look up what the term family-resemblance category means), which is why we further created subcategories to make things a little more easy to understand. Such as cRPG's, action RPG's, RPG-shooter hybrids etc.
Get used to that, and get over that.
>>
>>319329319
None.
>>
>>319339787
The twist is I like the games a lot. Didn't bother reading the rest of the post.
>>
File: Ocarina-of-Time-Ending-Scene.jpg (48 KB, 580x435) Image search: [Google]
Ocarina-of-Time-Ending-Scene.jpg
48 KB, 580x435
>>319329319

Thanks for asking.
>>
File: 1285710808703.jpg (66 KB, 540x726) Image search: [Google]
1285710808703.jpg
66 KB, 540x726
>>319339879
you might be the biggest bitch that I've ever seen on /v/
>>
>>319339879
>get told
>hurr didn't read, lol
epig
>>
>>319339879
>didn't read lol
not this anon but you're a fucking manchild
>>
I might get some shit for this but:

Red Dead Redemption
LA Noire
>>
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
>>
>>319339879
>Didn't bother reading the rest of the post.
I pretty much doubt you missed the parts written in all caps. And this is really probably the most pitiful attempt to weasel you way out of the whole argument.
>>
>>319340535
>Red Dead Redemption
>LA Noire
Now these are games where getting angry at calling them RPGs would be justifiable.
>>
>>319339787
>Do I need to list out RPG's I've played?

I read the rest of this post expecting at least a few of them, yes.
>>
Final Fantasy 12
>>
>>319342237
Just from the top of my head and only those I've completed:
Dungeon Master 1/2
The Eye of Beholder
Realms of Arkania: Shadows over Riva
StoneKeep
Baldurs Gate 1/2 and all of it's expansions
Planescape: Torment
Wasteland 1
Fallout 1/2/New Vegas
Arcanum
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Vampire The Masquerade: Redemption and Bloodlines
Gothic 1/2 and Risen 1
several of the Ultima games
Might and Magic 6-8
The Witcher series
Diablo 1
Morrowind, Oblivion
Dragon Age Origins

Games I haven't completed but played a solid amount of include Diablo 2, Mass Effect series, Kotor, Jade Empire, Daggerfall, Skyrim, Fallout 3 (though the two qualify less as RPG's than Dark Souls do) and tons others, including the Ultima series, Wizardry and probably many, many others that I'm forgetting.

Why the fuck are we doing this again? What the fuck do you think you are going to achieve here. You already got the entire fucking thread laughing at you, and your sole argument so far, distinction between an RPG and a hack-and-slash has been pretty much provably false. So again: what the fuck do you think you'll achieve here?
>>
Grandia
>>
If you type Final Fantasy unironically, you are a weeaboo.
>>
>>319343342
Thank you, Anon. I've played all of these except Vampire The Masquerade and StoneKeep. Recently I played Gauntlet, which is a top-down dungeon crawler playing similar to Baldur's Gate 2 or Diablo which you might enjoy, assuming you have played it already.
>>
>>319343342
Thread's dead, sorry for the late replies. My goal was to know some games you enjoy. Sorry for the confusion.
>>
>>319343554
Oh yeah? What's yours then, though guy?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.