[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
We are officially entering the "FF7 wasn't that great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
File: 2260986-ffvii_cloud.jpg (12 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
2260986-ffvii_cloud.jpg
12 KB, 400x300
We are officially entering the "FF7 wasn't that great anyway" stage.

How does that make you feel?
>>
/v/ has always been contrarian. I'm okay with it so long as FFVII is the one getting the remakes and whatnot
>>
>>319322762
But it never was that great. I've been saying it for years. It was a complete step backwards in every way from Final Fantasy 6. Weebs only love it because in their sexually-confused fever of adolescence they wanted to be cloud and Sephiroth so bad that they wished they could fuck them both.

>shitty, muddy prerendered BGs

>music had shitty production next to that of FFVI

>dull, jittery shitty 3D over beautiful hand-drawn sprites

>main game and battles running at 30fps/15fps respectively

>broken, shitty translation

I remember when this shit came out. It was during the first big "weeb explosion" and all the same losers who fawned over it were the ones running around with Tamogachi and Pikachu pet eggs. Literally the nostalgia bait of the O.G. faggots of proto-nerd culture
>>
>entering

where the fuck have you been the last 10 years?
>>
>>319322762
You mean 1998?
>>
>>319322762
Actually, the "FF7 wasn't that great anyway" stage has been around for some seven years, if not more. /v/ ALWAYS loved to brag about how much they appreciate FF6 over FF7.

That said, /v/'s opinion on any kind of mainstream title is frankly completely irrelevant anyway at this point. The time when there was a reason to actually pay attention to what people here think of big titles (past, or present) is long since gone.

The thing that completely puzzled me about this whole "FF7 controversy" was (and still is, though it's finally dying down a bit) the whole "turn-based fags vs. real-time fags" debate. When FF7 never was a turn based game to begin with, making the entire discussion absolutely and completely moot.
>>
>>319323419
Not mention the Materia was just a dumb down job system,where you can make everyone do the same the same thing.
>>
>create a list that cover 90% of the actually possible reaction to something from hype to hate
>call it a cycle
>wait for a thread to "validate" one of the "steps"
>???
>>profits!
>>
But /v/ is full of 97's kids who never ever touch FF7.
>>
>>319322762
it wasn't, its not in the top 5 FF games
>>
>>319322762
I feel nothing, because it wasn't that great anyway.
>>
File: OLD CHICKEN LEGS.png (499 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
OLD CHICKEN LEGS.png
499 KB, 700x700
>>319323419

This. The chibi sprites looked absolutely awful back then, and they still look absolutely awful to this very day.

FFVII was one of the first grand stories in vidya, presented in a graphically impressive way. But true FF fans were calling it casualized trash back then, just like true FF fans are calling the remake casualized trash today.

Pic related, shows how Squeenix ran FF into the ground completely.
>>
>>319322762
>FF7 wasn't that great anyway
it's cool nowadays to say that things were overrated
>>
File: yeah son.gif (1 MB, 301x250) Image search: [Google]
yeah son.gif
1 MB, 301x250
I still love FF7 but I think the Remake looks like garbage.
>>
Makes me feel like ff9 was better
>>
The internet was saying that back in 2006
>>
>>319323419
Isn't VI a broken piece of shit? Play V.
>>
All final fantasy games, and by extension all JRPGs are total worthless shit for people who suck ass at videogames, so instead they just want to read a shitty cliche story about japanese teenagers while pretending they're playing a videogame and hitting a button every once in a while.
>>
It wasn't. It's on the same level as Zelda or Kingdom Hearts.

It's a good game, but only people that don't know any better claim it's the greatest rpg ever or something.
>>
>>319323790
>muh no true scotsman
Fuck off, you and every other "true fan" played the fuck out of it like everyone else. Don't pretend you always disliked it.
>>
You mean that stage /v/ was in until about 2012 or whenever the steam release came out? Then yah sure, it's bound to happen eventually, and it needs to.
>>
Back then I had a blast playing it and that's more than enough, those memories will stay with me. People trying to play it now for the first time and saying it's shit can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>319324047
/thread

It was a good game, hell it was a very good game but anyone saying its the best rpg or game ever made is either a retard or never played it and is just riding the retard bandwagon to be cool.
>>
Well, it really wasn't. It's overrated as fuck and probably one of my least favorite FF games. Haven't played it, though.
>>
>>319322762
It's still good but that's the normal reaction to save face when a company fucks up a hyped title this badly.

They don't deserve money. They strung this shit in front of people's faces for years, remember the ps3 tech demo? You're talking to a generation of video game players that typically care about graphics and would rather watch someone else play a game than play it themselves.

Fuck both of them but especially fuck square.
>>
/v/ has always been like that anyways, it doesn't matter. It's not like I'm that huge of a FFVII fanboy anyway, it was my first FF and I like it a lot but it isn't my favourite FF.

I'll always maintain that calling something "overrated" is the most lazy, worthless criticism anyone can make. It's literally just complaining that people like a thing more than you like it. But the internet will never stop abusing the word no matter how retarded I think it is.
>>
>>319322762
It doesn't concern me what the angry contrarian underage on /v/ have to say about a game they've never played.

The second I saw a gameplay trailer my immiediate thoughts were, "well good thing it's different because now I actually have a reason to play the remake over the original if it's a totally different game."

FF7 is a masterpiece btw.
>>
it resonates with teenagers because the premise of cloud's character is pretending to be something that he isn't
>>
>>319322762
I'm pretty sure we did that a long time ago anon, similar to how we handled ocarina of time and super Mario 64.
>>
>>319322762
I didnt play any FF games in my childhood but started the series a few years ago

Liked FF4DS, Loved FF6 , fell asleep with FF7, and liked FF9.

I honestly don't understand what the hype for FF7 even was and anyone calling me too young to appreciate it is clearly a nostalgia faggot because i like and older game and the rather faithful remake of an even older one.
>>
File: 1449436840184.jpg (617 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1449436840184.jpg
617 KB, 1280x960
>>319322762
Like /v/ can suck on a collective cum bubble.
Is FF7 overrated? Yes.
Is it a good, even great game? Absolutely.

/v/ hates video games and letting some flailing faggot horde influence you is retarded. FF7 happens to be my favorite and I'm hyped for the remake and playing through the original for the hundredth time as we speak.
>>
>>319322762
It wasn't, and I've seen that said multiple times in ff7 threads since /v/'s conception. Used to be we almost unanimously liked things, FF7 being one, but now of course /v/ likes nothing.

Don't know what these kids are crying about anyway, you can go to ff7 videos and see literal children talking about how hype they are for it so if you don't but it I'm sure some kid will to impress his 20-something uncle.
>>
>>319323419
>main game and battles running at 30fps/15fps respectively
>90'
>giving a fuck about fps memes
>>
It was ground breaking but doesn't hold up. I'm still cautiously optimistic for the remake looks like battle system is very lightning returns and that's just fine with me as long and they don't really fuck up the materia.
>>
Protip: You're on a board where the majority of the users were born after 1997.
>>
People have been saying this for years. Whether its vs FF8, 9 or 6 people say its not worthy of the praise it gets.

I think Midgar is a 9/10 and the rest of the game ranges from 5/10 to 8/10.
>>
>>319325629
fuck kill me now, 2011 killed me knowing kids born in the 90s could drink now.
>>
>>319323937

It has some broken features, but it's still more enjoyable.
>>
>>319325568
I'm this guy
>>319325865
None of them really hold up all that well. masterpieces of their time for sure. but rpgs just don't age well as they come out with superior mechanics .
>>
File: 1444912579148.jpg (46 KB, 674x442) Image search: [Google]
1444912579148.jpg
46 KB, 674x442
>>319325269
>>
>>319322762
Nah. /v/ has hated the game for some time. Now that it's becoming a generally held opinion, people'll start coming of the woodwork saying how great it really was, because contrarianism.
>>
I haven't played FF7 yet but its been on my list.
What is the absolutely best way of going about playing it?
>>
>>319326375
Get a Japanese phone and play Before Crisis. Then find and read translated copies of "On the way to a Smile". Skip FF7. Play Dirge of Ceberus, then watch Advent Children. Skip Crisis Core.
>>
>>319326375
get to gold saucier and play mini games, all of them.
>>
>>319322762
Pretty good I suppose.

As much as I like it it's still fucking ridiculously overrated. I can't really think of a single feature that makes the game stand out as anything excellent apart from the music.
>>
Where the fuck have you been OP? Whose fucking dick were you sucking whilst the internet screamed and fought over which FF was best for the past 18 years?
>>
I just want FF8 remake, should be a fucking doddle when this is done, all the assets are there.
>>
>>319322762
Great because I've never thought it was as great as people say. Fucking defense force is in full effect despite the remake having shit combat and being broken up into several parts.

Enjoy the wallet rape FFVII fags.
>>
>>319323419

You forgot it's an hand holding walk in the park with literally 0 challenge.
>>
Actually it's cool to like ff7 now but don't admit it.
>>
>>319323790
Her hilarious "Hank Hill" ass still cracks me up every time. There's "boyish" and then there's "where do you find the muscle strength to lift your legs?"
>>
>>319322762
>entering

hipsters have been hating on 7 from the year it was released
this is nothing new
>>
If anything, we really should get to the "FFVI wasn't a masterpiece with zero flaws" phase.
>>
>>319327679
this
>>
>>319327679
Yeah, anyone who says that is a moron. It's my favorite FF, but it is essentially broken in many ways.
>>
>>319323937
Ignore anon, play IV
>>
>>319327945
Broken? Like how? Like the vanish/doom trick?
>>
>>319328242
No, like evasion does nothing but magic evasion is actually both. Wear a bunch of magic evade gear and you can make characters practically invincible
>>
>>319322762
We entered that 9 years ago though back when people actually wanted the FF7 remake.
>>
>>319328242
like being able to beat the final boss with the nightshade rage
>>
>>319328497
Vanish/doom is part of that glitch, though. There were a few other serious glitches, but they occurred over really specific things having Relm sketch while muddled.

If you didn't know the problem it was possible for it to fly right over your head. Although if you did know about it, you likely stacked force armor on a few characters and drifted through every encounter like an untouchable phantom.
>>
>>319322762
Welcome to 2002.
>>
makes me feel like i don't care about /v/'s opinions

so no different than usual.
>>
File: qt [email protected] (1 MB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
qt c@.png
1 MB, 1280x1024
Can we just go ahead and say that Final Fantasy as a series is completely overrated in the west?

It is really not any better than any other established JRPG series, yet is heralded as the best.
>>
File: ff4-battle.gif (22 KB, 512x446) Image search: [Google]
ff4-battle.gif
22 KB, 512x446
>>319329886

4, 5, 9, 10, 13 are ok
>>
as somebody who only played it recently and therefore is unclouded by nostalgia i must say i fucking loved the shit out of it

it was pretty fun
>>
>FF7 Remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_yFZZdYrVw
>>
>>319322762
FFVI was better
>>
/v/ goes in cycles. Sometimes VI is the best FF game ever...until it gets too popular on /v/, then it becomes shit and IX is the best game ever...until it gets too popular on /v/, then it becomes shit and XII is the best game ever...until it gets too etc.

Most people on /v/ can appreciate the good qualities of the series, but you get people who just act contrarian and generalize to shit up threads.
>>
>>319322762
It breaks my heart op. I endured that shit for years. Finally even the haters seemed impressed with the trailer. They just couldn't resist fucking it up. Well i'm done with square after this. I'm tired of the disappointment and shitty decisions.
>>
FF7 disk 1 was GOAT
Disk 2 was meh
Disk 3 is just the final boss
>>
>>319332850
Am I going crazy or do they sound like game grumps?
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.