[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/f inal-fantasy-vii-remake-
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/final-fantasy-vii-remake-built-with-ue4

IT'S HAPPENING
>>
>Unreal Engine 4

I honestly don't get what's the big deal with this engine nor the necessity to say it was made with it.
>>
>>319322767
Advertising, obviously.
>What, one of the most popular games of all time is being remade in this engine? Hot damn, let me in on that!
>>
Does UE4 have that horrible texture pop that UE3 did?
>>
>>319322767
Its the best and most accessible engine on the market

Announcing you are using it confirms it won't take 10 years like FFXV
>>
>>319322182
>UE4
So that's why the trailer was at 10 FPS?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dO2rM-l-vdQ
>>
File: Witch_Chapter_0_cry_06.jpg (185 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Witch_Chapter_0_cry_06.jpg
185 KB, 1280x720
>>319322767
Not much. However it says a lot about the development of FF7 and FF15.
It means the engine they made for FF15 isn't as good as they advertised (although the illumination effects in FF15 look much better than FF7).
Another thing is - it looks like they're producing FF7 on short funds, because resources for UE4 are rather cheap, so they can just buy 3d and programming assets easily.
It might also mean they're giving away the production of FF7 to 3rd party developers, since UE4 is rather common.
There's also the entire "episodic thing." Everything points to low funds and small manpower.
>>
File: 8.jpg (28 KB, 324x291) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
28 KB, 324x291
<This whole thread
>>
File: 1410378116443.jpg (23 KB, 500x276) Image search: [Google]
1410378116443.jpg
23 KB, 500x276
>>319322182
>remake ff7 to a fucking action rpg
>>
>>319324541

>It means the engine they made for FF15 isn't as good as they advertised

They actually said flat out it wasn't working up their expectations and it actually slowed development down on FF15 quite a bit. It was pretty clear they weren't going to use it on FF7, but i see them probably improving it and reusing it in the future simply because they want their own proprietary tech.
>>
>Unreal Engine

So, PC release confirmed? UE is super easy to port.
>>
GLORIOUS PC GAMING MASTER RACE WINS AGAIN
>>
>Unreal Engine 4
So that means no DX12 support?

No asynchronous compute?

Why did they choose that engine?
>>
Weren't they advertising their "Illumination Engine" for FF XV as the next big step? Whatever happened to that?
>>
>>319326002
>They actually said flat out it wasn't working up their expectations and it actually slowed development down on FF15 quite a bit.
I hadn't known that. Well, I guess I was right then.

It makes me wonder, though. A lot of devs recently made their own engines.
Konami made Fox Engine, Square made Luminous engine. CDPR - Red Engine.
Konami will most likely never do anything with Fox Engine now they're focusing on mobile. Luminous Engine looks like it's not too friendly and not developed enough to bring profits. Will they drop it after FFXV? Would it mean Nomura getting sacked?

>>319326717
>Why did they choose that engine?
Cheap, easy to learn, cheap resources.

>>319326401
>>319326704
There's no reason not to port it to other platforms, aside from maybe Sony paying them for exclusive rights.
>>
>>319326717
>async compute meme

It's already been debunked by Oxide's own developers
>>
>>319327151
How was it debunked? They disabled the async compute for nvidia cards because they can't handle it.

The "nvidia driver will fix it" is the real meme. No nvidia card can handle async compute. Nvidia/Unreal are buddy-buddy, so async compute has not been worked at all or disabled in unreal.
>>
>>319326879
There's no timed exclusivity on this game

Like nearly every Squeenix title in development, it's currently being made only for PS4 because they believe the userbase exists the most there. If demand is met elsewhere then it has every chance of going there. This is one where petitions may actually help

Though I will guess they'll release all of their 'parts' then the Ultima edition or whatever a year later on PC + XO
>>
>>319326767
It resulted in FFXV running at 720p 12FPS on the ps4
>>
>>319327727
They did not disable anything, there's a post on overclock.net forums which the developer already said they get very little improvements through async compute meme

With the latest Nvidia drivers, fastest in Oxide's shitty game

Stay mad, AMDPOORFAG as your shitty async compute meme was debunked months ago
>>
http://www.overclock.net/t/1575638/wccftech-nano-fury-vs-titan-x-fable-legends-dx12-benchmark/110#post_24475280

>Saying that Multi-Engine (aka Async Compute) is the root of performance increases on Ashes between DX11 to DX12 on AMD is definitely not true. Most of the performance gains in AMDs case are due to CPU driver head reductions. Async is a modest perf increase relative to that.

>Async is a modest perf increase relative to that.

AMDPOORFAGS BTFO
B
T
F
O

>2015
>Still posting async compute memes which have been debunked by Oxide's own developers
>>
>>319328615
>games uses 10 computation, each computation takes 1 second
>cpu takes 10
>game takes 10 seconds

>games uses 10 computation
>cpu takes 7, gpu takes 3
>game takes 7 second

That's performance gain through "multi-engine".

Reduction in CPU overheads is a direct performance increase. Nvidia can't handle this because they don't have the hardware. As the guy said, they only did little async compute on it and spent 4 days total.
>>
>>319329385
Async compute memes already debunked, stay mad faggot

The latest benchmarks show Nvidia fastest in Oxide's shitty game, faster than AMD's shitty hardware scheduler units

Thats just embarassingly bad
>>
>http://wccftech.com/asynchronous-compute-investigated-in-fable-legends-dx12-benchmark/
>http://www.overclock.net/t/1572716/directx-12-asynchronous-compute-an-exercise-in-crowd-sourcing/140#post_24473462

Another Unreal Engine game uses only 1 ACE. People thought it was due to GCN limitation, but thats wrong. GCN can handle however many ACE usage. Its the nVidia cards that fuck up.

>game performance limited due to nvidia's direction/limitation
>>
>>319329990
>BUTTMAD AMDPOORFAG still trying to force his debunked asyn compute meme eventhough Nvidia is fastest in all benchmarks, faster than AMD's inferior async compute meme units
>>
>>319322767
Its accessible. FF7R is being collaborated with Cyberconnect2 and other studios. An accessible engine is best.
Everyone that knows Luminous is on FFXV. Which is also why KH3 is on UE4. They ran into problems with KH3 on Luminous and they would only slow development on XV by taking resources away.

How many open world games are even on UE4?
>>
>>319330339
I really don't think FF7R is going to be open world. It'd make no sense considering both its linear as fuck story and the episodic nature. In fact, I don't even mind a corridor crawler, as long as they make it good.
>>
>>319322767
It's a well built engine with a 5% fee that you can probably contract out if you're big enough. Why say it? Beyond me.
>>
>>319331524
So basically cut out all the side content, ultimate weapons, the Weapon boss fights, and alot of rare materia ?
>>
>>319332097
Overworld map is hardly an "open world" and it can be easily replaced by a hub and I feel like they might do it. Nothing has to be removed.
Anyway, do you imagine FF7 going full open world? With a big, fucking giant world filled with a staggering amount of 20 towns?
It'll either going to be a HUB world, or a simplified overworld map again.
>>
don't even bother with a dx12 'MAH COMPUTE' debate, as of right now all of the early games with dx12 are blowing the fuck out of the 'MAH SUPER FRAME IMPROVEMENTS" in a bad way

the improvements are literally nothing unless you happen to have a piece of shit, and even then it's still not as big of a boost as they claimed it could be

the reason microsoft went basically silent after jizzing all over themselves about what dx12 would do is because everything that has come out so far is not showing the boosts they first claimed

it's actually kind of disheartening because they're not even saying 'give it time' they basically went from all aboard the hype train to not even really talking about it once windows 10 came out
>>
>>319333084
>Dx12 meme
It's the same shit every fucking time.
>Muh DX10 is going to make everything run smooth and great!
>Muh DX11 is going to make everything run perfectly!
And now
>Muh DX12

It'll be the same story all over again with DX13.
>>
>>319322767
because if square went with their own Luminous Engine, the game probably would be shit and unoptimized as fuck.
Luminous can do some amazing things as shown in its tech demos but not even square knows how to utilize it properly when it comes down to making an actual game out of its resources.
>>
>>319333435
Well yeah, they're major revisions to the library. The thing that DX11 tried to do was more parallelism, but failed at it since it was still heavily bounded to a single thread. It worked decently for 4 cores, but beyond that you can easily see it's drop off.

That's what DX12 tries to solve and they were more or less forced by Vulkan to revamp the hell out of DX.

DX12 also allows you to micro manage a lot more things opposed to all the previous ones where it just worked in a black box.

They all do have better performance than the previous. It's just when a game supports DX9/10/11, they have a lot of things turned off to go backwards (which is another thing DX12 solves where this will just work do nothing if it doesn't exist) thus typically performance 'magically' increases in games when you go from 11 to 9.
>>
File: 1447525138912.jpg (9 KB, 250x233) Image search: [Google]
1447525138912.jpg
9 KB, 250x233
>Luminous engine is so shit that SE doesn't want to use it with their most beloved game Remake

Kekus Maximus
>>
File: paragon_2.jpg (377 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
paragon_2.jpg
377 KB, 1920x1080
Epic is the only dev that knows how to properly utilize UE.
>>
>>319325995
What exactly did you want? ATB was absolute garbage and the battle system they used in FF13 sucked too.
>>
>>319322767
It's Unity but older.
>>
>>319333435
DX12 will go the same way as DX10, as in a bunch of autists will refuse to budge from 7 like they did with XP, killing all forms of widespread PC adoption. Even now, DX11 only accounts for maybe half of the renderers in AAA PC games, as a bunch still insist on using DX9 for some dumb reason
>>
>>319335482
I agree with this post, but I don't think ATB is garbage, it has its fun from time to time.

If I wanted to use the ATB system, and everything EXACTLY the same as the original FF7 but with better graphics. - I'll do what I'm doing now and playing FF7 with mods and enjoy it for what it is.

I want a new perspective with Cloud and the gang, if it's bad I'll continue playing FF7 every now and then like I've always done and shitpost about the new FF7 being garbage. However if it's respectable and atleast in the same world as 'good' I'll go ahead and play it, enjoy it and treat it as its own instead of comparing it to the older game.

tl;dr i want it to be good, but if i dont like it i'll go back to playing the original; nothing will change
>>
>>319335365
is that actually ingame?
that looks fucking boss
>>
>>319335791
You already hear a lot of complaints from the dev community about how difficult it is. Why is it so difficult? Performance. You have to do a lot of things that you can do better than what the library did. They sacrificed ease for performance.
>>
>>319333084
>>319333435
>DX12 games don't use the main performance increasing feature
Literally why even bother labeling it as DX12.

Microsoft played the politics and made async compute into an optional to appease nvidia.

Vulkan will save the gaming industry now.
>>
>>319337112
its prerendered from a moba for ps4
>>
>>319322767

UE4 is the next Unity
>>
In other words: there is absolutely no reason why this wouldn't come to PC.
>>
>>319341101

NEVER

EVER
>>
>>319341101
It'll probably come to PC seeing as a lot of FF titles and hitting it.
Which is why they say it's not exclusive to PS4 or rather 'Play it first on PS4'.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.