[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Uncharted 4
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6
File: HOL UP.jpg (24 KB, 574x553) Image search: [Google]
HOL UP.jpg
24 KB, 574x553
This is yet another missed opportunity for more representation for POC in the industry. It's another rare opportunity for a black voice actress to provide the voice for a potentially memorable black woman in a big budget game, and maybe even lead others into the industry by example. Yet, of course, the best person to play the role of a South African was Laura Bailey, whose voice is tried and tested in well over a hundred games. Again, this isn't meant to bash her for getting the job: she's obviously talented and her voicework is damn good. However the idea that she was the one person fit for the job just isn't acceptable to me. To me it means something is off about their casting process. To me it just means that they didn't make as strong of an effort to search as they could've, or worse that the industry just wasn't inviting enough for aspiring black voice talents to give a damn to begin with. I love Naughty Dog, but in the world of AAA games I cannot and will not give them the benefit of the doubt. That's just how I feel.

I just can't believe that Naughty Dog did this. I thought that they were the most progressive and tolerant video game studio, but now I have completely lost all faith in them.
>>
Fuck up and get a life, faggot
>>
>>>/pol/
>>
there is literally nothing wrong with being jewish

prove me wrong
>>
>>319318861
This desu senpai
Smh
>>
>>319319092
>>319319225
Nice argument, shitlords.
>>
I kind of doubt there are a whole lot of black voice actors, much less black females with Aussie accents.

What does it matter anyway. James Earl Nigger voiced Vader.
>>
>>319318861
>jobs should be for those of color or a certain sex
>not those who do the best job.
>black guy is playing a white charter in same game, no one cares
>asian chick playing white woman later in game no one cares

This is why people laugh at you fuckers with your "so progressive" views, its only an issue when its not to whites.
>>
>devs try to appeal to SJWs
>all it does is sow more anger and cause them to nitpick

Seems like a waste of time, don't know why they're even trying.
>>
>>319318861
It's still shitposting if you're being ironic, anon.
>>
>>319319353
At the risk of being labelled a fedora: the Jewish religion is fake. Jews aren't the chosen people. There is no god.
>>
The best thing about this whole thing is seeing Neil BTFO NeoShit after they went crazy
>>
>>319322015
Link?
>>
I THINK THE BEST PERSON AT THE JOB SHOULD GET THE JOB.

WHEN I ORDER SOMETHING I DON'T CARE HOW MANY BLACK TRANSPOTATOES HAVE TOUCHED IT ON THE WAY TO MY HOUSE I WANT TO KNOW THAT IT WILL GET TO MY FUCKING HOUSE RATHER THAN HAVE IT DELAYED BECAUSE THE TRANSPOTATOES HAVE GONE ON STRIKE DUE TO SEEING A MCDONALDS BILLBOARD THEY DIDN'T LIKE ON THE WAY TO MY HOUSE.

FUCK
>>
The only accurate representation of strong black womyn in video games:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nVbKfi977Q
>>
>>319322365
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8Y...tu.be&t=55m15s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T07IwsAuiDY
>>
>>319322534
skip to 3:50
>>
This reminded me of a Q&A panel with Johnny Bosch. Somebody asked him if he preferred voice acting or acting on camera. He said he enjoyed VA more because the roles did not require him to be asian.
>>
>>319322539
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI8Yy8uwQNY&feature=youtu.be&t=55m15s
>>
>>319321978
*tips menorah*
>>
>>319322539
Damn, Neil Bee Tee F. Oed the neofags good
>>
>>319318861
BAIT/10
>>
>>319318861
boo hoo
>>
>>319322918
>storytelling
>in video-game
>mocap'd cut-scenes
We're doomed.
>>
Do devs really think neokek represents your average gamer?
>>
>>319322921
Underrated post.
>>
WAIT HOL UP
>>
>>319318861
Did you not watch the video where he explained why they did this? The look for the character hadn't been finished by the time the cast Bailey and when they finally finalized it they weren't going to just trash her and all the work she had done. Her voice still fits at least.
>>
>>319323774
Wow can you please stop mansplaining?
>>
>>319323774
It's good that he explained the matter, but I am still confused as to why people view others making it a controversy (before the explanation) was such a wrong thing to do, what's with all the "wait, there's a controversy?" blah blah comments.

I mean, people rightfully condemned Hollywood when they whitewash actors like in the case of 21 or Gods of Egypt. Why can't people expect black characters to be played by black actors here as well, in the sense that it gives black actors more opportunity to flourish in a field dominated by white performers?
>>
Who cares?

It's a voice role for a videogame. Not even a movie or TV show, it's a videogame.

Wait, my bad, Uncharted is a movie series. No wonder why everyone's so upset.
>>
>white woman voices black woman
>SJWs go crazy

>black man voices white man
>SJWs pretend it doesn't happen

OP, you're a fucking hypocrite. Voice actors are chosen based off their skill for the role. You do realize that claiming "only a black person can voice a black person" is furthering racial segregation, right? You can't be so stupid as to not know that, right?
>>
>>319324981
The difference here is that you should cast based on what voice fits the character better. If some white guy can do a better voice for your black character than all the black guys who auditioned then he should get the role. We'd never have voices like Kratos or Samurai Jack if we stuck to casting VA's strictly by their ethnicity.
>>
File: 1447197205837.jpg (51 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1447197205837.jpg
51 KB, 625x626
>This is yet another missed opportunity for more representation for POC in the industry

>Implying they give a fuck
>>
Huge Sony fan, but never played Uncharted. I got the HD pack from the bundle recently. Will people immediately buy it if I list it at 30 flat? I can just get PS3 versions for maybe a little over ten bucks for all of them if I really wanted to play
>>
>>319325438
This. I'm black, and I certainly don't give a fuck.

Seriously, who cares?

>>319325417
>>319325408
Both have it right.

>>319324981
You mention Hollywood and movies where you actually SEE people and are comparing it to videogames where you don't see whoever is voicing a character behind the scenes.
>>
>>319322539
I thought Druckmann was an SJW?
>>
>>319318861
You should just get out while you can.
There are a fuckload of VA who do voices for characters that aren't even their race.
We're not talking only whites here.
Now get out of here, you clearly should post on a hugbox like Neogaf where everyone agrees with trivial bullshit like in your topic.
>>
>>319325848
He played them like a damn fiddle.
>>
>>319325848
Only when it's not about his game.
>>
>>319318861
Phil Lamarr almost exclusively voices white and asian people. Where's the SJW outrage here?
>>
this is why I wish I made stuff people were interested in, because I certainly wouldnt be as polite to chumps that complain about this kind of stuff, I would call them chumps and skim right over the issue, wouldn't acknowledge them any further than that.

its like how marvel is trying so desperately to get a black director for black panther, and they all keep turning it down, I think they are up to their 7th rejection. Because interestingly people don't like getting hired based on their race instead of their merit, shocking.

and even worse yet are african americans complaining about black panthers portrayal so far. He isn't an african american, hes just african, he isn't one of you and doens't care about your plight or american politics.
>>
>POC

just say black people
>>
OMG WHY IS PHIL LAMARR A BLCK MAN VOICING VAMP? DIS RASIS
>>
>>319325848
it seems he is a cleansing flame. Like when he made ellie a lesbian it appears that wasn't trying to make a gay character, he just decided to make a character that happened to be gay.
>>
>>319325526
There was a sale yesterday that sold the entire pack for 30 on PSN.
Wait a little while before you sell them at least.
>>
>>319321435

there are plenty of voice actors of all stripes, but casting in general and voice casting in particular are very risk-averse professions.

Once there's a person established as "good," that person gets a HUGE amount of roles relative to newbies or less-popular actors. It feeds itself.

Whether or not racism comes into it, I have no idea. I get the outrage at the idea of a white actor playing a black person, but when that white actor's invisible, does it really matter? I guess if a white actor's hired to do a "black voice"--think about stereotypical black mannerisms and slang--that gets a little uncomfortably close to racism.
>>
>>319326358
They prefer African American
>>
>>319326358
People of Color is more racist than Black people. The irony is that none of the SJW actually think that.
PoC usually just entail black people. Asians and hispanics are honorary whites, so they don't count. But if you include mudslimes(BROWN PEOPLE OF COLOR) and indigenous people, you get +10 brownie points
Most SJW are racists who try to shift their guilt of being so onto others undeservedly.
>>
>>319326358
HOL UP !
>>
>>319318861
shut up
>>
>>319318861
the writer is a jew.
>>
Why does /v/ post about shit like this so much?
>>
>>319326497

but that's a meaningless distinction when it comes to storytelling.

any decision about a character is you deliberately setting out to make a character that thing.

redheaded. cocky. short. gay.

"oh you should make a character that just happens to be ________" makes no sense, you are creating a person out of whole cloth to specifications you yourself come up with to fit the story you are trying to tell. If you decide you want a gay character, that character's gayness is relevant to the story.
>>
File: 1447181994671.gif (2 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1447181994671.gif
2 MB, 480x360
>>319323236
>>
>>319326791
I bet the dude who posted this is not only white, but American, upper class, fake autistic and a libertarian atheist. Do you also have a fedora? Do you also have a youtube channel where you debunk "sjws"?
>>
>>319326936
but here is the thing, and its the difference between being a good writer and a fan fiction writer.
a good writer doesn't control every aspect of the character, they let the character speak to them

it is possible to have two characters you didn't originally intend to put in a relationship together develop romantic feelings for each other over the course of the story, based on the situations they are put in they can organically develop their own defining characteristics
>>
>>319318861
I know this is bait but if you step back and look at it isn't this the most unracist thing you could do?

No assumptions or stereotype of what a black person sounds like, just the best candidate getting the job.
>>
>>319326535
Will do. I'm the same with God of War
>>
>>319321168
Why do you care so much?
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmD2MVlPGGk

I was very impressed by the Sully and Nadine interaction cutscene. Drake and his brother removing their suit jackets/unbuttoning their shirts and then flowing directly into gameplay without Drake leaving the frame (to switch models) was great.
>>
>>319327540
The screenspace reflections on the floor are pretty nasty though. You'd think for a cutscene they could have simple planar reflections so the fading of reflections when Sully's arm is in the way wouldn't happen.
>>
>>319319353
You can't eat or touch pork.
You're a blight in God's eyes.
Muslims too.
>>
>>319327540
Her guns are huge and her voice is tiny. They should have went down under to cast someone.
>>
>>319327746
there may need to be compromises made, uncharteds whole thing has been about trying to keep cutscenes and gameplay as seamless as possible so that probably means not making cutscenes as good as they can be for the sake of it not being jarring when it switches
>>
>We need some publicity, marketing stir up a little drama but make sure we are on the right side of it.

>We need some opinions to right an article, go farm /v/ and comment sections for valid points.
>>
>>319318861
y
she looks like dee from battlestar galactica reimagine
>>
File: Naughty Dog Dead Eyes.webm (3 MB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Naughty Dog Dead Eyes.webm
3 MB, 960x540
>>319328090
They have to run in real time now. Past games they had them all in compressed video. This gen, everyone is making it done in real time and using uncompressed audio.
>>
I feel, removed from context, situations in which a character of colour is voiced by a someone else entirely is inherently disappointing simply due to the accurately reputed difficulties people of colour have securing performance roles across all mediums. More than just being represented aesthetically and fictionally, ideally having people of colour in your stories would also provide ample opportunity to represent that character with a performer who is also a person of colour, allowing them to bring across their identity to the character while also broadening the inclusiveness of your production. I don't feel a person of colour needs to be voiced by a person of colour, or vice versa for age/race/gender, as good performers are good performers and anything can work in a creative, artistic context. But I do recognise the opportunity of representing a person of colour both fictionally and realistically is one worth pursuing. It would, in theory, not only benefit the production but help send the message of supporting greater inclusiveness in all facets of the medium.

I think a situation like this can be very divisive, since it speaks on a deeper personal level of representation of certain people in the medium again both creatively and professionally, and the way this situation resonates will differ from person to person based on their identity and background. I don't feel there is any objectively right course of action in the context of the creative process Druckmann has detailed, but I also don't feel either choice is objectively wrong.
>>
>>319318861
You have a point.
>>
>>319328449
Jesus she looks so ugly now.
I´m so glad I didn´t buy the new one
>>
>>319328449
Jesus, Lara looks uncanny and keyframe is better choreographed, but lacks the spark. They really should get on the middle-ground.
>>
>>319327291
Lets not pretend the last of us was something it wasn't. Like good. Or well written. Hell when joel's sidekick got herself bitten I burst out laughing it was so damn obvious. It made me think of the plane scene from hot shots where the moose shows the picture of his girlfriend. And they tried to play that shit straight, melodramatic as fuck, it was just laughable.
>>
>>319328694

But what of the argument that someone who cannot inherently relate to a characters background shouldn't in turn play them? But at what point does a person of colors background and historical struggle play a part in a narrative that doesn't demand that as part of the context to a story?

Does this really equate to "blackface?"
>>
I'm glad I can finally punch a nigger bitch in the face desu senpai
>>
>>319318861
there is nothing wrong with having more none white characters in video

there is huge problem with trying to portray women as if they are as tough and strong as men for political motives because it will only lead to disappointment discrimination of men in the military and eventual combat deaths that could have been avoided
>>
>>319325165

Low quality bait.
>>
>>319318861
>Picking the best qualified candidate regardless of race
>bad

>Choosing a less qualified candidate because of their race
>progressive

Is this seriously what we've come to? That the color of a voice actor's skin should be a consideration when making a game? This is getting ridiculous. I'm all for inclusiveness in games, but this is seriously reaching the point of self-parody. Where does this end? Do we only hire black artists to draw the black people now? Only hire black writers to write their dialogue?

The best way to end discrimination based on race is to stop discriminating based on race, and that includes stuff like this. If the best voice for a white character is black, or vice versa, who cares? James Earl Jones was a great Darth Vader, Laura Bailey will probably be a great my mom.

Seriously that's my mom if she curled iron, what the fuck kinda pickle jars you been opening momma?
>>
>>319326791
PoC is a rhetorical device for political mobilization. Ironically, it's to do exactly what SJWs compain about. To lump all people into us and them, so you know exactly who you're supposed to work against. Whites and everyone else. That's why when any group works for their own benefit it's empowerment, but when whites do it, it's suddenly oppression.
>>
>>319323236

Fuck off, retard.
>>
File: Keframe.webm (2 MB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Keframe.webm
2 MB, 1280x720
>>319328997
Hard to say. The new cutscene here>>319327540
looks like this is ND using mocap and keyframe. The comparison webm here>>319328449
looks to be using just keyframe. If you watched their panel, they actually upgraded their studio halfway through development so they've had to redo stuff again.
>>
>>319329631
Come on, it's not like this is news. These are the people who's only problem with affirmative action is that it's not enough.
>>
>>319318861
Nice bait anon. But let's be real, race,gender or age don't matter when it comes to voice acting. You work with your voice, not with your body, if you sound good as that character, you play it. Saying that it's controversial that a black character is not played by a black VA, is like saying that kid characters should only be played by kid actors.
>>
>>319318861

Niggers in my games. Fucking yuck

This is why I play Jap shit.
>>
>>319329989
Yeah, I know. I hear the supreme court is doing something about that. Here's hoping. Shit hasn't worked the last sixty years, I don't know why anyone still trusts the government.
>>
>>319330005
>kid actors
them's fighting words
>>
>>319330438
Courts fixed it up real good here in Sweden. Of course, only after it was used to favor men, but still. Now we've legal precedence.
>>
File: mkx-tanya-622.png (74 KB, 622x320) Image search: [Google]
mkx-tanya-622.png
74 KB, 622x320
>>319330081
Wee have been here all along
>>
>>319318861
>2015
>having a mental illness
>>
>>319318861
>POC
This shit sounds way worse than what they intended. Why do white people try to come up with all of these names to call black people? Just call them black people.
>>
>>319329802
Robotic black man does look bad but everything else is nice. Though Nathan doesn't look like he's applying any pressure on Sam's back.
Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.