[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well, /v/, I think we've simmered long enough. How was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8
File: skyward-sword-boxart.png (270 KB, 343x478) Image search: [Google]
skyward-sword-boxart.png
270 KB, 343x478
Well, /v/, I think we've simmered long enough.

How was it in the end? Do try to form your own independent thoughts, now.
>>
the controls and the backtracking are really the only bad elements in the game besides that it was just normal zelda but without anything to explore it felt really bland
>>
>>319316143
Personally I loved the controls but I felt like the big issues were repeated segments like imprisoned fights and silent realms and annoyances like lack of warps and Fi in general
>>
>>319315565
>best dialogue
>plot more consistent than TP
>parkour link feels comfy as fuck
It's nowhere near as bad as /v/ claims it to be. Not the best Zelda, but still a very good game.
My only real issue with it is the handholding and the annoying repeating text that appears when you pick up an item.
>>
Dungeons were great (until you had to revisit)
Aesthetic was cool
Characters were cool
Sky was empty and flying got boring
Music was more atmospheric than melodic (I don't like that)
Sidequests/optional content was sparse and mediocre, feels like everyone got the same experience because there were no side paths (metaphorically and literally)
I liked the stamina system
Dowsing and tadtones weren't fun
Imprisoned wasn't fun
Timeshift stones WERE fun
Fi was very disruptive, though I didn't mind her character
Writers tried to make SS the origin story of everything ever (which I didn't like)
Controls could falter at times
Boss fights were cash (mostly)

That's me typing off the top of my head, sorry if it's incoherent
>>
It was fine till you had to collect those things before the 4th temple. I dont know why the fuck they wanted to add the worst part of tp back in. I dropped it right there
>>
>>319316376
I thought the motion controls worked best in TP they were just fun and simple and it didn't need to be reset over and over again
>>
File: koloktos.jpg (55 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
koloktos.jpg
55 KB, 1280x720
>>319315565
the game has the most fun boss fight in zelda history
>>
his stamina meter was way too small, and the harp sucked

but otherwise everything else was great
>>
File: The_Imprisoned_Third_Battle.png (405 KB, 800x587) Image search: [Google]
The_Imprisoned_Third_Battle.png
405 KB, 800x587
>>319316892
also the fucking worst boss fights
>>
Didnt the fact that this is supposedely the first generation of the hero retcon the hats backstory? You know, the one they made in Minish Cap?
>>
File: 1441373913214.jpg (778 KB, 933x1377) Image search: [Google]
1441373913214.jpg
778 KB, 933x1377
BEST VERSION OF ZELDA COMING THROUGH!
>>
>>319317193
This game retconned the fuck out of everything with Hyrule Historia
>>
>>319316143
>he controls and the backtracking are really the only bad elements in the game besides that it was just normal zelda but without anything to explore it felt really bland
>>319316376
>I felt like the big issues were repeated segments like imprisoned fights and silent realms and annoyances like lack of warps and Fi in general

Pretty much summed up what i would say about the negatives. I'll just add that as a Zelda game I don't think it really added anything to the series that it didn't have before. I guess you could say flight and the Artstyle, but neither of those is a major plus for me. Lack of innovation wouldn't have been the worst thing ever on it's own but with everything else wrong with it, it just kind of killed the game for me.
>>
>>319317108
quick someone shop a piano
>>
The game had some highs, but it'll never be my favorite LoZ.
I have the same complaints as most people:
>boring overworld
>tedious backtracking
>most sidequests uninteresting
But honestly I enjoyed the writing and story. Sky loft was super comfy as well. Other than that, I never had any problems with the controls, and I think the stamina system added some much needed maneuverability. I also liked the item upgrade system. SS is like a 6 or 7 out of 10 for me. Probably wouldn't play through it again though
>>
>>319316892
you right
>>
>>319317108
Jesus christ I fucking hated the imprisoned
>>
>>319316991
Ya that stamina thing was pretty much useless
>>
So does Groose get re-incarnated to? You'd think the Goddess would throw him a bone.
>>
>>319315565

Sloppy.

It felt like a rushed title with all the cut corners and reused content, and obvious shit that should've been excised in beta testing (like Fi's interruptions and the treasure cutscene every time you pick up a treasure). One that sticks out is Fi telling you you're low on hearts, even though the beeping noise is already there to let you know that. So the Fi icon starts beeping on top of the low hearts icon beeping, and when you click the Fi icon she says "you're low on hearts". The level of redundancy in that scenario alone is staggering, and the game is full of shit like that. Just piddly little crap to break the flow and immersion, constantly.
>>
Easily the worst 3D Zelda game. I hated almost everything about it except Skyloft which was the GOAT hometown. It had the second best Zelda too, only the little nigger Tetra was better.
>>
>>319318590
I liked ST Zelda best.
>>
had to force myself to finish it
>>
>>319318694
she's best on the fact she actually gets shit done
>>
The stamina meter was both a really good and a bad idea. Link's movement options being expanded was great, and hopefully Wii U Link will be able to do all the same things, but giving him such a small meter meant everybody would run until it almost depleted, then spend the next couple of seconds walking, and it got really repetitive.
It had a ton of great side characters, and several of the main characters are very good too. It has a great Impa and Zelda, Groose is a wonderful addition, Ghirahim is a fun villain, and the village's NPCs have a lot of nice small sidequests and character beats. But Fi and Demise are very badly underwritten and also incredibly important to the game, so that's a problem.
The Beetle is a fantastic new tool, and most items stay useful throughout the game and in later dungeons, but the mole mitts and gust bellows are way too specific in use and not fun enough to use. For the most part only the sword is very useful in combat, but almost all items are nice for exploration.
The dungeons are for the most part interesting and unique with their own mechanics and puzzles. Some, like the Ancient Cistern and the Pirate Ship, are some of the best in the series. A bunch of them are forgettable though.
A lot of the areas to explore are very interesting! But there's not enough exploration of them, and not enough new location ideas. You go to the same Eldin Volcano way too many times, while the Lanayru Desert is interesting and new in some way every time you go back. The sky is obviously a total missed opportunity and needed way more to it.
A lot of the motion controls are very smooth and fit the game in ways that make it more fun to play (stuff like arrows, bombs, and some swordplay.) But the configuration is annoying.

For everything it does right, it does something wrong. But for everything it does wrong, it does something right. It's not the best Zelda by any means, but it was an interesting experiment and I'm glad I played it.
>>
>>319315565
I liked it, but I sure as hell don't plan on touching it again.
>>
Personally:

>Second half of the game fell apart quickly and the backtracking absolutely killed it.
>The padding between dungeons was handled absolutely terrible.
>The goddess trials were the absolute shittiest part of the game and absolutely killed the flow. Some people like them, but jesus fuck. Stealth and Zelda do not mix in my mind (I know OoT, WW, and others had it, but eh).
>Controls were absolutely ass for me. I tried on two different wii systems and my Wii U, 3 different wii motes, and 3 different sensor bars in two different locations. Shit gave me issues each time.
>Lack of anything to do outside of Skyloft.
>Crafting system was a interesting idea that was badly implemented.
>Flying was needlessly complicated and nowhere near as smooth as sailing was or Epona. I fucking hated flying.

If there are some pluses, it had some of the best bosses, music, and dungeons in quite some time and the amount of dungeons were great (Story wasn't bad for what it was either,m to be fair). Why the fuck couldn't they have dropped the motion controls and put this on the Wii U with proper gamepad support? It would have fixed a good chunk of the game and make some of the worse parts more bearable.
>>
>>319318078
Groose is reincarnated as Tingle.
>>
File: Skyward shit.jpg (229 KB, 811x456) Image search: [Google]
Skyward shit.jpg
229 KB, 811x456
padding, hand holding, motion controls, backtracking, zero fucking challenge.

There's very few good things I can say about this game, and they are often ruined by the bad.

"OH BUT THIS DUNGEON WAS COOL!"
Except it felt mindless because the game constantly ruined puzzles and shit for you, even NPCs would randomly pop up in dungeons and ruin the pace by holding your hand

"BUT SOME NPCS WERE NICE"
Some where, but most were just hand holders

"BUT BUT MUH SKINNER BOX CRAFTING!"
There was no incentive because the game was so easy, and gathering materials was annoying because constantly seeing pic releated

I guess the music was good
>>
>order skyward sword on amazon
>they send me a saudi arabian copy
Ok...
>>
>>319315565
It was good
>>
>>319315565
IT'S A FUCKING PIECE OF SHIT

STOP MAKING THIS THREAD
>>
>>319321781
>Zero fucking challenge
its the hardest 3D Zelda
>>
>>319315565
A great game but the controls will not stand the test of time. And considering how vital they are to killing every enemy in the game I don't know how we'll ever see it again.

I don't know why Nintendo doesn't look into the future of how their games will be remembered, for a company that loves to re-release games they've shot themselves in the foot with this one.
>>
>>319324282
you shouldn't have to beat the game to finally have a challenge
>>
File: 1432776818386.jpg (90 KB, 497x879) Image search: [Google]
1432776818386.jpg
90 KB, 497x879
>>319326248
Seems they realized that with WWHD.
maybe
>>
>>319315565
The world was a bit lame, but the dungeons were pretty fun in my opinion. I adored the visual style. Controls were balls though.
If it wasn't designed around motion control, ir'd be a much better game. The only time I thought it was well integrated with was the Beetle. That was a really cool tool that changed the way you could look at dungeons. All in all, it was alright.
>>
I fucking liked it.
Played to completion 4+.
Waggle combat was meh, but game was good.
Too much handholding, but game was good.
>>
silent realms always terrified and frustrated me but otherwise I love that game
>>
I liked it overall but it's full of shitty parts that make it hard to play through again, and I understand how they could turn some people off. The highs are really enjoyable, like the Ancient Cistern and Sandship, but the lows are terrible, tedious, and make me wonder why they even put them in the game to begin with, like tadtones and fighting The Imprisoned three fucking times.

Twilight Princess was the same way, and Wind Waker to a lesser extent, although that one only really shat the bed during the Triforce hunt and was fairly high-quality otherwise. 3D Zeldas after Ocarina of Time and arguably Majora's Mask just have this weird need to pad themselves out with incredibly dull filler content that drags the overall game down.
>>
I really don't understand how you can like this game if you aren't underaged or a Zelda fanboy that will defend anything.
>>
>>319327176
because it's not a bad game
>>
>>319327638
It's fucking garbage. I love Zelda and I can't ever see myself playing it again.

I won't stand for this shit. When the underage grew up and started claiming Twilight Princess is good, I disagreed but idly sat back and let it happen. Not Skyward Sword. This game is ass.
>>
>>319327930
Yes it's an abomination to Zelda lore and story we all know that but as a game it's good.
>>
>>319315565
It was fucking garbage.
>>
>>319327176
That's extremely insulting to underaged people. Not every underaged person is retarded.
>>
>>319328215
No, as a game it's shitty as fuck As a Zelda game it's shitty as fuck. As far as the lore is concerned, the lore isn't concerned, no one that matters actually cares about the lore.
>>
>>319328215
it's not a good game. everything about it is half-baked, from the combat to the dungeon design to the overworld.

every single enemy in this game is a fuckin bokoblin or a deku baba, and you always kill them the same way. it's not 1:1 motion controls, every single enemy you fight in this game is "they're blocking every direction except one, swing in the one they aren't."

i remember getting super hype when i saw the E3 footage of the ghirahim fight where it looked like he was parrying your shit. i thought we were finally going to get a cool swordfight in the zelda series. nope. he's just another enemy who blocks in all directions except one and you swing. it's how you beat every enemy. there's no tact. the motion controls don't offer anything. best use of the motion controls was the beetle grabber, and that could have been implemented with an analog.
>>
Still shit. Plays like a Zelda game TRYING to be a Zelda game. I know what I typed.
>>
>>319329051
Half-baked is a gigantic complement to the shitfest it was.
>>
Reminder that this game took 5 years to make and Majora's Mask took 1 year.
>>
>>319321781
I only remember the puzzles being ruined on one or two occasions. For the most part the puzzles were some of the best we've seen in Zelda.
>>
>>319315565
All in all, it was an okay game. I'm ever going to replay it to get to the Demise and Koloktos fights.

I didn't like how you couldn't explore at night, I didn't like how Link looked and I didn't like how most of the major cast looked, sans Zelda and Groose.

Flying the loftwing wasn't anything too fun and the exploration was sub-par. You revisited the same areas too many times, and the fact that I can't go from Faron's Woods to Eldin Volcano killed the exploration a bit more.

The sky was empty and uninteresting in perpetual daylight. The game could've been made a 100% more beautiful if it had a radiant day/night system.

The combat felt nice when the wii mote would work. Not knowing that you can take Demise's lightning makes it a really fair challenged boss fight.

Little to no point to the 'dialogue tree' they added, aside from making Link have good bants.

Fi was annoying. She could've been immediately fixed if you cut half her dialogue from the game or have an option for a tutorial.

Demise, while a cool motherfucker, is a lame reason to have for Ganondorf's unending hatred for the Goddesses.

Felt just too light hearted and kiddy. The whole time I was anxious about Ghirahim assaulting Skyloft, like the badass they were trying to make him out to be.

Impa wasn't sexy enough, too much a twig.
>>
>>319329472
>reusing engine and resources from already made game with already made editor and everything already built
>wonder why it only takes a year.
>>
>>319329929
And the quests were uninteresting and lame. Glorified chores.
>>
>>319329929
So basically you loved all the bad parts but hated all the good parts, barring night time thing.
>>
>>319328649
>>319329051
Here we have posters whom have never actually played a bad game and rather bitch about nothing because it doesn't fit their personal taste
>>
>>319315565
I want to buy it new

I can't believe Nintendo is remaking TP instead, TP already has a re-release in the form of Nintendo Select
>>
>>319330071
Want to clarify that statement bruv?
>>
File: I come with b8s.png (60 KB, 622x626) Image search: [Google]
I come with b8s.png
60 KB, 622x626
>>319330090
>>
>>319330090
I've played lots of bad games. Skyward Sword is the worst game I've ever paid full retail price for. In fact, I paid MORE than retail. I preordered the colelctors edition. The best thing about Skyward Sword has nothing to do with the game, it's the dope gold controller I got.
>>
Totally shit game. Like, on every level. I could maybe forgive some of the more superficial problems that do things like break immersion, like Fi, and whatnot, but the game is completely fucking BORING to play. I got up to the sandship and just stopped, and it's a wonder that I didn't stop much, MUCH sooner, but I guess I wanted to believe the game would eventually get good. Admittedly, Lanayru Desert is better then the others, but still not better enough. And the other two are unforgivably bad. Backtracing is lazy bullshit that makes me not want to play. And the places the had you go back weren't any good the FIRST time.

And I may be pretty much alone in these, but fuck the customization, and fuck the art style. The customization just feels stupid and unfitting, and the art style is just shit. Not in general, like it's not necessarily badly executed, I just personally hate it, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. And the stupid "ancient culture"-type designs that Lanayru and the Cistern take on make me want to puke. You know the kind.
>>
>>319331521
I think the artstyle is alright. Some of the NPC characters are hideous but some of them look pretty good (Impa, Zelda, Fi, Groose).

They went way too hard on the "painterly" effect though. Makes it look like shit on emulators.
>>
>>319331521
I really liked that one part where they had you run through an empty dungeon for no reason. That was worth my time.
>>
>>319332741
Remind me which that was? I seem to have erased it from my memory
>>
>>319329051

it's not a good game. everything about it is half-baked, from the combat to the dungeon design to the overworld.

every single enemy in this game is a fuckin octorok or a moblin, and you always kill them the same way. it's not 1:1 sword fighting mechanics, every single enemy you fight in this game is "they're walking around harmlessly better run up and press A"

i remember getting super hype when i saw the computer gaming world coverage of the dondongo fight where it looked like he was fucking up your shit. i thought we were finally going to get a cool swordfight in video games. nope. he's just another enemy who walks around and swallows up your items like cocks. it's how you beat every enemy. there's no tact. the button pressing don't offer anything. best use of the weapons was the boomerang, and that could have been implemented with walking around.
>>
>>319315565
Didn't finish it past the second dungeon. Hate the controls. Hate the fact the game treats you like you're new to it every time you load your game.

I don't remember anything else about it.
>>
>>319333574
>grasping for straws the post
>>
>>319335385

illustrates how a poorly elaborated complaint can be applied to anything with changing a minimal # of words
Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.