[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Peter Jackson the reason we can't have interesting Tolkien
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (7 KB, 160x106) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
7 KB, 160x106
Is Peter Jackson the reason we can't have interesting Tolkien games? Is he responsible for the Tolkien family refusing to give rights to the Silmarillon? Shadow of Mordor's corporate pyramid scheme approach to warlords was fun but the game itself was a let down.

We will never have a Silmarillon: Total War or a game where you help conquer the Iron Hills because of this prick and his gross mishandling of the intellectual property. I'm sure Tolkien's family won't release rights to any other stories for decades
>>
>Peter Jackson
>gross mishandling of the intellectual property
He is the reason why that family isn't in bankruptcy.
>>
>>319310865
The Tolkien family is a bunch of faggots who treat their dad's writings as it were actual religious texts. Peter Jackson made the best adaptation of LotR we could have ever hoped for. Christopher Tolkien disowned his son for helping New Line get the LotR movies made.

The Hobbit sucked but that was due to Jackson getting thrown into a movie he didn't want to make with no prep time combined with corporate meddling
>>
He's also the reason why Michel Ancel did the King Kong game
>>
>Is Peter Jackson the reason we can't have interesting Tolkien games?
Not completely. He's not solely to blame for Tolkien's refusal to give out the rights to other companies. There are a number of reasons why the LoTR movies weren't up to Christopher's expectations.

One is the transfer of different media. Books sometimes translate pretty poorly to movies. And Middle Earth is not the sort of setting you can easily translate to a film. One must also remember the trilogy was basically explaining this setting. All things told, it used a fairly standard hero's story.

Another factor was of course mainstream media, studios and corporate America. The whole thing just generally lowers the ability to produce anything of value. Take for example the Conan films. Nowhere near the excellence of Howard's books.

Jackson is a great film maker, and the Trilogy's films were a milestone in cinema. They're fantastic. But they're still not a good "Lord of the Rings movie". The Hobbit films were pretty low tier, however. And I can't blame Tolkien for pulling rights after that fucking hack job.

Then you have the unimaginative games like Shadow of Mordor, and now you've got our current situation.

So yeah, you can blame Jackson, in part. But you can also blame how the medium of books does not translate well to film. However, a setting like Middle Earth does translate well to games. Lord of the Rings Online was a fairly standard MMO, but I loved it for being able to play a minor character in the setting.

Now to wait for a great Conan game to be made.
>>
File: 1439567302431.jpg (140 KB, 806x808) Image search: [Google]
1439567302431.jpg
140 KB, 806x808
>>319311770
>Conan not an objectively 10/10 movie

You were born after 1998 weren't you.
>>
>>319311770
>They're fantastic. But they're still not a good "Lord of the Rings movie"

I think you're wrong as fuck

the movies, especially the extended editions, are absolutely crammed with details from the book and the world
>>
>>319312617
Read a book, nigger.
>>
File: The Atlantean Sword.webm (2 MB, 800x340) Image search: [Google]
The Atlantean Sword.webm
2 MB, 800x340
>>319314428
No. We're talking about a movie not your pulp shit. And Conan is a literal 10/10 movie.
>>
>>319310865

>Is Peter Jackson the reason we can't have interesting Tolkien games?

You're a fucking dumbass

Tolkien games peaked around the time the LOTR trilogy was released. If you say with a straight face that we have no interesting or good Tolkien games you're clearly underaged

And no it's not his fault. Primarily Christopher Tolkien is a faggot, but at least he's kept retards from getting their hands on the Silmarillion. If it wasn't for him we'd get even more bastardizations of Tolkien's work like what happened with shadow of mordor

If you wanna blame anyone for the decay of Tolkien related media in the last couple of years blame WB. They fucked up the Hobbit trilogy with their constant executive meddling and wanting to appeal to a wider audience, and coincidentally they also greenlit shadow of mordor
>>
>>319312617
Read the books. The first Conan film was a good movie, but it doesn't do the character or setting justice. Arnie Conan is a big, slow idiot.
Conan in the books is agile, smart, and also strong.
Momoa Conan more closely portrays the character and the setting, but feels more like snapshots than a coherent film.
Hyboria in the movies is portrayed as basically just a card stock medieval setting. Boring, mud, torches, stone walls. In the books, the setting is grand and opulent, with elaborate costumes.
Read a book.

It really doesn't matter if Conan is 10/10 as a film. As a work representing Howard's setting and character, it fails pathetically.
I was born in 1987.
>>
File: Sad Skeleton.jpg (135 KB, 736x550) Image search: [Google]
Sad Skeleton.jpg
135 KB, 736x550
>>319310865
>We will never have a Silmarillon: Total War or a game where you help conquer the Iron Hills because of this prick and his gross mishandling of the intellectual property.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoyToHOWSV8
>>
>>319311770
>missed the boat on LOTRO when it was still relatively popular
>you will never explore middle earth with your bros
Feels bad man, the game was just fun to run around in. The questlines were okay but fuck I had way more fun just exploring the Shire and the areas around Bree.
>>
>>319315085
I don't care about your pulp shit. Those stories aren't nearly the great literature you want to believe they are. I bet you read capeshit comics too and get mad when the movies deviate.
>>
>>319315543
If you care about the film, then you should give the books a read.
I don't read capeshit. I don't even watch the capeshit movies.
>>
Pretty sure we got two awesome games two gens ago
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.