[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where can this series go from here in regards to actual historical
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: total war.jpg (5 KB, 300x160) Image search: [Google]
total war.jpg
5 KB, 300x160
Where can this series go from here in regards to actual historical periods? Any stones left unturned that would lend itself to the Total War battle system?
>>
3 Kingdoms period China seems like an obvious choice. The Romance of the Three Kingdoms games (at least the ones from the SNES/PS1 era) suck a fucking dick, and a Total War take on that period would probably blow that series out of the water.

Games based on American conflicts like the revolutionary war and the civil war might work, but might be boring due to the lack of factions. Maybe a total war: manifest destiny would work if it wasn't shut down by the SJW brigade (which would open up possibilities like having Texas, Mexico, and various injun tribes be playable factions)
>>
Well, Bronze Age, Chinese history etc. for starters
>>
WW1
>>
>>319273158
How could you do WW1 while staying true to the general real time battle system of the series? Each battle, in the current engine, would last like 20 hours as troops in trenches take potshots at one another. Air units would be really difficult to control as well, and with how far the series has progressed just using them like you would agents or something would be too lame to justify nowadays.
>>
>>319273158
Do you honestly want a real time WW1 game?
It would be the most boring shit ever
>>
>>319273652
Well, most theatres were far more dynamic than Eastern Front.
>>
I'd say middle east before Alexander and the Persian Empire.
>Egyptians
>Babylonians
>Sea People
etc.

Then there's Europe between Medieval 2 and Empire, but honestly, dead franchise.
>>
>>319273960
Total War: Muhammad would probably be pretty cool, but totally impossible to release in today's political climate.

Muslims vs Arab raiding tribes, Persians, and whoever the other major players were in that time period would actually probably make for a really good strategy game.
>>
>>319271956
Ok, it' something that will probably never happen but still.

GNOME : total war
Where we follow the strife of the gnomes in the wow universe. They have a lot of varied technologies and blizzard's lore is basically one eternal war again everything.
>>
>>319274710
Oops, didn't read you want actual historical age. I think following Genghis Khan on his road of conquest or Alexander the Great could also be really good. They both encounter vastly different cultures and areas making for interesting battles.
>>
>>319274878
There already is Total War: Alexander expansion for Rome 1, though
>>
Total War is dying for a native tribes game. Ancient North America from Belize to Canada.

Silmarillon maybe? Would be huge into a pre-sauron Tolkien total war
>>
>>319271956
I think I am not alone in recognizing that there is a dire need for a game covering the most savage period of war in human history.

Emu: Total War
>>
>>319275006
Silmarillion rights will never be sold to anyone. Tolkien family made it pretty clear.
>>
Victorian age, maybe with a civil war dlc or some shit
>>
File: The_Hanging_by_Jacques_Callot.jpg (881 KB, 1360x600) Image search: [Google]
The_Hanging_by_Jacques_Callot.jpg
881 KB, 1360x600
A game about the thirty years war would be great.
You get a shitload of factions but can focus on just Germany so that it's filled with lots of nice detail like Shogun 2 was.
Also if there is one thing their shitty Warscape engine can do well it's pike and shot.
>>
>>319274878
The expansion for Shogun 1 was a historical "what if" where Ghengis Khan's horde didn't get fucked by tsunamis. It was pretty cool, but way lopsided in favor of the Mongols.

It might work. I like the Hun campaign in Attila, and a Mongol game could maybe work similarly (i.e. be focused mainly on steamrolling through Asia instead of keeping your population happy), unless the focus was on China and East Asia.
>>
Bring back Total Warrior series. I'd love to see Apache: Total Warrior
>>
>>319275079
Civil War would be cool, but I don't think there'd be enough factions or troop variety between factions for them to consider it unfortunately.
>>
The "MOBA" and Warhammer is a sign they have nowhere to go.
>>
>>319275398
Has Koei actually trademarked the 3 Kingdoms period or something? Their games fucking suck, Total War could actually do that period justice and it would be the most logical time period that they haven't explored yet
>>
>>319275589
Maybe they think the setting ist not appealing to their audience.
>>
File: MjHq0gq.png (784 KB, 1020x746) Image search: [Google]
MjHq0gq.png
784 KB, 1020x746
>>319271956
Empire II would be a good bet. The amount of potential in the first one was off the charts, but ruined by a horribly buggy release that was never really fixed.
>>
>>319273724
>Eastern Front
You mean the Western Front, right? It and the Balkan theater were what we associate with WW1 - trenches, mud, machine guns and no progress. The Eastern Front was mobile and the campaigns in the Middle East were pretty cool as well.

If you want to choose a modern setting WW2 will be far better.
>>
>>319275872
Yes. Sorry.
>>
>>319275761
They made a game entirely on Japan. If that can sell, so can China.
>>
>>319275782
>Empire II: Friderick the Great
Make it happen for all us Prussiaboos.
>>
>>319271956
It can't. The gameplay hasn't changed one fucking bit since Rome 1.

It got boring. Just let it die or make Warhammer 40k after they do WH Fantasy.
>>
>>319276040
That game was also a heavily stylised affair based around honorabu Samurai as seen in popular culture. That's a far more attractive subject in the mainstream than China.

>>319276159
>make Warhammer 40k
When will this stupid idea end?
>>
>>319276040
What >>319276273 said plus afaik did the first Shogun game wasn't such a great sucess, and the turned to western history.
>>
>>319276273
It's not an idea. It's the only way they can go.
Either that or they'll be making sequels forever. No one cares about Total War anymore.

It suffers from the FIFA syndrome, only thing that sets them apart is that TW is not a yearly release, which makes it even worse.
>>
>>319275398
>MOBA
what?
>>
>>319276475
I'm not sure how the first Shogun game did in terms of sales. I bought it and the mongolian expansion when it was new, then didn't hear about the series again until Rome 1 came out and the history channel came out with some show where they pretty much just reenacted historical battles on the Rome 1 engine while providing commentary over it.

>>319276560
I get that feeling, which sucks because I loved Shogun 1 when it first came out and as soon as I built a decent PC earlier this year I snatched up Rome 1, Med 2, Napoleon, Shogun 2, and Attila and have been really enjoying them. I hadn't played the series in forever so I'm not burnt out yet, kind of a bummer that everyone else probably is.
>>
>>319276273
>>319276475
It's just some bias westerns have with chinese culture not being marketable. Bollocks, people love chinese decorations, trinkets, mystics and their Chinatowns. Also, we can count in one hand western games made based on that theme. There's no solid ground to make such claim. I don't know much about China history, but i imagine it may not give much space for DLC's and expansions like CA loves to. Could and probably am wrong about it though.
>>
>>319276560
It's a stupid idea because you want to force a setting where small unit tactics are the order of the day into a game built entirely around blocks of ~120 men moving around as one. The battles would be utter shit.

>>319276681
He's talking about Total War: Arena. It's not a MOBA at all, it's a 10v10 (I think) multiplayer game where each player controls three units in a fairly standard battle. There are capture points, though, but that's to stop somebody from fucking off into the fog of war and letting the timer run down.
>>
>>319276931
so how is that even a moba? it sounds more like WoT
>>
>>319276740
Eh, for China, you could probably squeeze out a few decent campaigns. 3 Kingdoms is the biggest one, and it would be kick-ass. A campaign involving the Mongol conquest of China, and a campaign involving the Manchurian conquest of China might be pretty good.

If you could somehow make the battles work in the Total War format, a WW2 China game could be pretty cool. Playing as Chiang Kai-Shek would make for a tough campaign (getting fucked by the Japs in the east and Mao and the horde of retarded commie farmers to the West)
>>
>>319277014
Which is why i used the " ". There's no good short word for it and if you google the term with Total War you are led straight to it.
>>
>>319276043
I wouldn't say that Frederick the Great is the best historical figure to base an entire game around.

Sure, Empire II should have Prussia and a very interesting campaign while playing as them, but I think what separates Empire from other Total War games is its heavy focus on other areas of the globe, like India, Africa, the Americas, and parts of Asia.

I don't think the first Empire did the concept of colonies or colonization very well, but a sequel could definitely improve on the concept.

While this doesn't mean much for the Prussiaboo, I think it's very relevant for Great Britain and France to have colonies and deal with the pros and cons of colonialization, which has an affect on the Prussian campaign through virtue of both powers being possible rivals for Prussia.
>>
File: 1335631640585.jpg (52 KB, 263x207) Image search: [Google]
1335631640585.jpg
52 KB, 263x207
>>319276159
>the gameplay hasn't changed
>>
>>319275181
Digging this idea, although it seems a bit too politically complex (and loaded with tiny German states, some of which were living on loans and subsidies alone) for a Total War game. Still, the Thirty Years War is way underused in vidya.
>>
>>319277137
it is more similar to 2v2s in TW multiplayer than any moba.
>>
>>319277220
I was thinking of a separate campaign/expansion about him that revolves around fast gameplay and a much bigger focus on army deployment and movement.

I agree that you can't base the entire game around him - he isn't that well known and his wars were pretty small-scale, all things considered.
>>
>>319277109
There's also stuff like Japanese Invasion of Korea in which Ming China fought the Japanese with their Korean allies (although it was 1592-1598 so it completely overlaps Shogun 2). The naval action in particular was interesting (with Admiral Yi Sun-sin kicking some major Nippon butt).
>>
>>319276931
CA don't care about lore and Workshop don't give a shit as long as it's epic4th3emperor and it popularizes wh40k amongst younger people.
>>
>>319277278
>implying it has

Wow cinematic cameras are such a huge gameplay change!
Just look at that new AI! Wow those new destructible environments! Wow all these new units and formations! Wow!

Oh, wait. They've only been removing formations and gameplay elements since Rome 1.

Fuck off.
>>
>>319271956
China.
>>
>>319275390
>Civil War would be cool, but I don't think there'd be enough factions or troop variety between factions for them to consider it unfortunately.
Nobody outside of the US considers the Civil War cool, interesting or noteworthy.
>>
>>319279207
yeah, nice talking out of your ass.
>removing formations
if anything, they made adding formations easier.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.