[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>MMO is boring and repetitive >"You gotta keep playing,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11
File: 1448267762004.jpg (94 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1448267762004.jpg
94 KB, 1920x1080
>MMO is boring and repetitive
>"You gotta keep playing, the real game starts once you hit level cap!"
>>
Literally no one told you this, OP. You lying piece of shit.
>>
File: Gaki1.jpg (38 KB, 488x439) Image search: [Google]
Gaki1.jpg
38 KB, 488x439
>the real game is grinding for gear and not levels
>>
>>319269098
The fun parts of MMOs are dungeons and raids and getting together with people

Questing can sometimes be fun but mostly is like collect 69 dog dicks and return them to me for 1000 exp

You have to do a bunch of dungeons and raids to enjoy an MMO, if you're just solo questing you'll get bored real quick.
>>
>>319269295
Not OP, but I get told this shit all the time
>>
I actually just want an MMO type game without levels.

Give me something like eve with skill sets.

I can wear any gear in the game after I unlock a node for it or some shit.
>>
>>319269098
The game only gets good once you've developed Stockholm Syndrome. I love that line of shit.
>>
>>319269376
>the fun part is raiding
To bad that's hidden behind 90% of the games content, and that's grinding.

I like Destiny for the simple fact that I could do actual dungeon runs with a group of people vs, having to do some shitty fetch quest for 80 levels before I can try to get into a group who will kick me for being under geared.
>>
>>319269440
Same, happened for just about every MMO I've played.
>>
>>319269098
Then don't play them.
>>
>>319269552
Destiny is the same as any MMO though, wat?

You get to max level, then you grind dungeons until you can get high enough gear to raid then you do raids and dungeons to get even more gear.

That's about it
>>
>>319269376
This is wrong. The raids and dungeons grinding and farming are the boring parts. MMO should focus less on endgame shit and more on adding more quest chains, story arcs, bosses and other activities. The reason MMOs get shit on so hard is because of their repetitive grinds, however they choose to do it. It's always there.
>>
That's because leveling isn't even a fraction of the gameplay anymore.
>>
>>319269782
Except at level 5 you can do dungeons with other people.

In every other mmo it starts at like 20+ and even then you get to do one dungeon with other people maybe every 5+ hours since it's all just story and fetch quests).

Every quest in Destiny can be run with other players, from 5 to max level.

it's the same reason I liked Diablo, except the fact that it was far too easy.
>>
>>319269474
More accurately
>when you become conditioned to associate positive feelings with the game, even though you will be rewarded for your efforts on a highly infrequent basis

I've wasted a few years of my life playing MMOs, always because "playing with friends is fun", although I would still spend most of the time playing with retarded strangers.
MMOs just like e-celebs are a substitute for proper human interaction.
>>
>>319269995
>proper human interaction
And what would that be? sitting in a house playing smash and drinking beers? going to a bar and getting wasted? Going to a sports event and getting wasted?

Not much else out there, you could do biking with friends, snow boarding, skateboarding what ever. auto racing if you want.

But all of those also cost x10+ more to do.
>>
>>319269098
Fucking TERA man.
>>
>>319270251
More like XIV.
>>
Who /FFXIV/ here.

Best MMO period. WoW fags BTFO.
>>
>>319269950
I have no idea what MMOs you have played but they're basically the same

In WoW/GW2 you can do dungeons+pvp whenever you want however much you want. Hell in WoW you can level to max doing only dungeons because I've done it with an XP boost.

And level 5 in destiny is similar to level 15-20 in other MMOs because the max level is far lower compared to like 60-100 in WoW
>>
>>319269098
>MMO
>Everything is void zone
>>
>>319269098
Dragonmonhunter has been great so far. I just like the fake monsterhunter/tera style.
>>
>>319270369
>best mmo
More like rehash: the mmo.
>>
>>319270369
Its literally wow with different graphics.
>>
File: 1443399426608.jpg (22 KB, 704x396) Image search: [Google]
1443399426608.jpg
22 KB, 704x396
>>319270785
Yeah, BETTER graphics.

Everything is better with anime artstyle.
>>
File: yea about that.jpg (121 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
yea about that.jpg
121 KB, 400x400
>>319270393
>doing only dungeons
Yea no

>what mmo's have you played

>GW1/2
>WoW
>PSO2
>Star Wars Galaxies
>SWTOR
>AION
>EVE
>FF11 / 14
>D&D online
>TERA
>Age of Conan
>ESO
>Neverwinter
>Runescape
>Rift
>LOTRO
>WildStar
>EQ 1&2
>DCU
>Perfect World
>RF Online
>ArheAge
>Fiesta Online
>Firefall
>Lineage 1 & II
>Mabinogi
>Matrix Online
>Pirates of the Burning Sea
>Ragnarok Online & 2
>ROSE Online
>Shin Megami Tensei : Imagine

Out of them all, very few have had the same feel as Destiny for it's dungeon and co-op.

I'm not saying Destiny is good, I only dropped 600 hours in it before completely dropping it.
>>
>>319270872
I like it more than wow, but it isn't worth paying monthly for.
>>
>>319269376

Used to be MMOs were set up so that you would play with other people the whole way through - solo questing wasn't even an option.

>>319269295

People say this kind of shit about most newer MMOs. It's because a lot of them are following the same model because it's popular. It's a shame.
>>
File: 1429252246482.png (223 KB, 500x391) Image search: [Google]
1429252246482.png
223 KB, 500x391
>>319269320
Oh boy, I can't wait to grind 4 hours for a single neurode so I can't wait 24 hours to build a forma so I can level my weapon from scratch again. It's really great that by default every weapon in the galaxy is too weak to kill level 30 enemies and the only way to change that is by increasing the amount of gun points you have.
It sure is great that the daily quests require you to kill level 80 monsters with certain types of guns that aren't effective for the rest of the game so you probably haven't leveled them up.

>>319270496
I'm pretty upset that you can't unlock everything without going through the cash shop. Especially after going through the painstaking effort of grinding out so many thousands of monsters for various eggs and food to breed the rare ones. If I'm out there soloing world bosses and party bosses on hard mode I should be able to get a cool monster to show off with instead of just a dumb battle pet for dumb pvp. And they moved the falcon's fortune minigame to be a cash shop exclusive thing which only makes filling out the book extra impossible.
>>
>>319271046
lack of solo content killed FF11 for me.
>>
What we need is a procedurally generated MMO, and not some bullshit like Starbound or Minecraft.

>Take No Man's Sky's monster and planet generation
>Make a 1/1 scale Earth online
>The entire planet's layout is randomly generated by the playerbase
>Every step opens up a new portion of the map in a big chunk
>Players give a faction their starting place, and work from there
>Once the world's land is fully explored, underwater exploration is unlocked (Think gated content, but unlocked for free)
>Once both have been explored, the world begins working on creating civilization
>NPCs work together and create culture (barebones), establish trade routes, and so on
>There are no quests and level caps; you simply protect NPCs from wild monsters and defeat players in open world pvp
>PvP scaling is fair, so someone that's 50+ levels above you can be stopped by a low level player. They won't do much damage, but you can still defend and hold off an attacker
>Regardless of level, an attack when you're not prepared WILL kill you
>Logging out means your character becomes a respawning NPC. Other players can find your NPC and befriend it, kill it, whatever.
>Your NPC can be looted, and any items it wears/has can be taken. You keep your stuff though.
>All NPCs are players' characters when they're logged out. There are no pre-generated NPCs.
>When you're not playing, your NPC might be killing another player's NPC in an attempt to become the leader of a church, or they could be on a journey to a new location. You log in wherever they last were, and any items they may have found are yours.
>Deleting a character erases their existence. If they were a mayor, people forget they even had a mayor and elect a new one. You can't force your NPC character to be something else unless you destroy a town.
>NPCs can and will fight back if attacked. Players attacking NPCs are seen as monsters in the world, and NPCs are as powerful as their character would be

I know I'm asking way too much.
>>
>>319271205
yeah i don't really understand any of that bullshit. Im lvl 30/35 and really ive just been focusing on lvling up, getting myself gear, and crafting. I thought you could get any monster as a mount including bosses?
>>
>>319271292
>full world is generated in 2 months
>nothing left to do
>>
>>319271235

Well then you should revisit it. Now that the population is so much lower it's become a lot more solo friendly.
>>
>>319271470
I'm not going to pay money for that game again. I got my memories and that's good enough for me.
>>
>>319271292
Yes, a game where you have to explore the entire ocean and landmass of a planet before anyone can build a little town or farm is a great idea. Walking endlessly to look at resources they have no use for is probably a lot of fun.

>>319271397
All the boss mounts to ride around town are in the cash shop. By beating hard mode dungeons what you unlock are battle mounts for pvp. Like that quest early on where you ride the abyssal crab to kill those walrus.

Breeding takes a lot of luck and items but it lets you get faster mounts and some of them are their own species you can study for unique emotes and runes that permanently power up your character.
>>
File: 1442385498446.jpg (42 KB, 800x549) Image search: [Google]
1442385498446.jpg
42 KB, 800x549
>>319269320
>>319269098
MMOs that don't do this are doomed to failure. Not concentrating the majority of content and design effort on how things work at max level means you need a constant influx of new blood to keep the game going. What will keep long time players loyal? Rerolling the instant you hit level cap? As if. Level focused MMOs also dilute the playerbase across the level spread. Concentrating things at level cap means a lot of people will be around for anyone that makes it that far. Which retains long term consumers.

There simply no point in long term investment otherwise, and MMOs are entirely about long term investments. If you don't like this, MMOs are not for you. There is absolutely no shame in that. For instance, why would you play RTS and complain they aren't fighting games? Makes no sense.
>>
>>319270963
>SMT: Imagine

I'm so sorry.
>>
>>319269376
Everything is fun with more people. For example card games like poker.

MMOs should stop the idea that everything you do is just for progression and more on the part that everything you do is fun. But they will keep failing at it as long as WoW is successful because nobody wants to take the risk and money to develop a MMO that is gameplay focused and fun to play.
>>
>>319272504
>everything is for fun
Me and a buddy started up trial accounts on EVE just for shits.

We started out mining for fun, within the first day we were fucking laughing at how well we managed to start mining, we were pulling in 10 million isk just fucking around on the first day on trial accounts, it was just something fun to do despite just mining in the middle of no where with no end goal in mind except buy a bigger ship.
>>
Jokes on you EvE has no levels!
>>
>>319272773
>eve has no levels
Yes it does, each skill has 5 levels.
>>
>>319272752
Well you got me. My whole argument falls apart when a drooling idiot comes by and screams "I like grinding and its fun for me!"
>>
>>319273001
Yet I'm not locked out of endgame because I didn't spend 3 months killing rats.
>>
>>319273043
>killing rats
you could have spent 5 days just doing your story quest to get to end game.

But then again in EVE to get to real end game it takes 3 years of actual time.
>>
Was WildStar like last "hyped to the max" mmorpg?

Only i can think now is fucking Legion, but after WoD flop, it seems, that hype is careful. There was some Blade and Soul hype too, but now nobody talking about it anymore too.
>>
>>319273368
I've only heard hype about Albion lately.
>>
>>319270963
Spent 7 years of my life on mabinogi spent over 1k on it. I have no regrets.

I've moved on now
>>
File: 09.jpg (155 KB, 860x1236) Image search: [Google]
09.jpg
155 KB, 860x1236
>buy Guild Wars 2
>one of the worst MMOs I've ever played in my entire life
>my friend loves it
>the new expansion is $50
>>
>>319269295
That's literally one of the most cliche overused lines by MMOfags who try to justify a new game. You're a retard.
>>
Is star citizen fun?
>>
>>319269376
>if you're just solo questing you'll get bored real quick
Ironically modern MMOs are engineered for solo questing, at least during leveling.
>>
>>319269098
>TES:O is shit
>still has the best questing in a modern MMO
>simple branching options with less input than Fallout 4
>but it's literally choose the fuck over X or choose to fuck over Y when you really want to save Xand Y
>rub it in your face whatever you choose and then tries to make you feel better after

I don't even know if I made the right decision half the time, it's so bittersweet. I'm only level 10 after 10 hours, but a lot of that time was reading shit and just exploring with other newbies. Too bad the combat is ass.
>>
File: 1412707523342.png (569 KB, 699x472) Image search: [Google]
1412707523342.png
569 KB, 699x472
I only ever play the levelling part of MMOs and quit when I hit 50. I did this with FF14. Who am I.
>>
>>319273905
This question is waiting to be answered.
The concept behind SC is that you have so many sandbox ways of spending your time in the game that it dam well will be fun.
>>
>>319272119
didn't read
>>
>>319269098
I still get withdraws from playing runescape in its golden age. I miss it. I miss it so god dam much. I've gotten a job since then and can play any game I want. Yet, I still those times playing runescape on low detail.
>>
>>319275031

>you will never again experience getting home from school to jump on runescape, pming your best mate as soon as you log in
>slayer release
>farming release
>monkey madness day 1
>desert treasure release day 1
>your first KQ and KBD kills
>finishing legends quest

hold me
>>
>>319273368
WoD was fantastic on launch and for the first month or so, just got old quicker than any xpac I've played previously

Hopefully Legion isn't the same, but I won't be surprised if it is
>>
>>319273814
it really is fucking terrible, but there's literally nothing else I can play

blade and soul can't come soon enough
>>
>>319275757
>Blade & Soul

Did any of you try the beta for that? Is it any good?

I know the waifus are good, but I don't really care about that. How is the gameplay?
>>
>>319272119
You talk as gear based mmos are remotely good instead of just being a variation of the themepark formula.
>>
>>319270369
>>319270785
Don't forget invisible walls everywhere.
>>
>>319275757
>Tera: Greasy Skin Edition
Why?
>>
>>319270162
You could also just have people over and, I don't know, talk? Play vidya? Watch a movie? Why does social interaction have to be this big elaborate thing?
>>
>>319277775
because tera has literally the worst levelling I've ever experienced in an MMO and really unimaginative classes, with the more interesting ones being race and gender locked
>>
>>319272119
>I've literally never played an MMO before 2010
ok
>>
>>319277978
>have people over to talk
about what?
>have people over to play video games
it's not different then playing online, well a little different, they eat my fucking food.
>watch a movie
Why?
>>
File: 1406782999896.jpg (52 KB, 683x717) Image search: [Google]
1406782999896.jpg
52 KB, 683x717
>>319269098
MMO lets you level up and get gear by doing nothing but PVP all day long
>>
I wish more MMOs would go for a leveling experience like swtor. Rest of the game is crap, but the story part is well done. You can do the random donkey dick collecting if you want, or the dungeoning, but the character stories give xp enough that you can basically play watered down Mass Effect until raid ready.
>>
>>319270496
Is that its actual name?
>>
>>319278159
The problem with extensive story/quest systems is that they turn the MMO into a glorified single player game until you finish it. It fucks community development.
>>
>tfw I've had GW2 since release and don't have a single lv80 character

All I do is roam the world, exploring nooks and crannies while Soule's tunes play in the background

It's comfy.
>>
>>319278486
have you just been creating alts? I got level 80 by pretty much crafting and exploring.
>>
>>319274442
Someone who needs to play a game pre 2010 or whatever, like >>319278028
said.

There used to be mmos with content during AND after leveling, but most idiots dont know that anymore. Murrika all about instant gratification, can't enjoy the journey anymore.
>>
>>319278541
I have a couple of alts, but it's more that I haven't played it very much for how long I've owned it.

The game says I have about 85 hours logged, my strongest character is lv60 I think.
>>
>>319278572
>can't enjoy the journey
when 95% of the journey is go here kill x, or go here fetch x. it's not much of a journey.
>>
>>319278486
I've been playing GW2 like mad but I can never level a character all the way through because I get bored and reroll

my current main is like a level 72 ele and I honestly don't feel like playing him anymore
shit sucks
>>
>>319278486
I got gw2 like two months ago and have two 80 characters. Don't play it much anymore since none of my friends play it and I don't know any people who'd invite me to a fun guild.

I like GW1 more desu senpai
>>
>>319278775
I liked GW1 more too, but I still have an okay time with GW2, as someone who only dabbles in MMOs and can't be assed to pay a sub.
>>
Dragon Nest is literally the best f2p MMORPG game out atm.
>>
>>319279024
Yea I uninstalled it because it wouldn't run for shit for some reason.
>>
>>319278159
Is there any mmo with such story telling like in swtor, but set in fantasy setting?
>>
>>319278881
Yeah, GW2 is still a cool MMO. I had fun exploring the old places I spent a lot of time in GW1. Was a little sad seeing that Temple of Ages has sunk.
>>
So, anyone here plays Neverwinter?
>>
>>319274245
never tried teso but is the combat just like skyrim? because lag aside it would still be better than 90% of mmos present and past
>>
>>319279220
played it for a while, dropped it when they increased the level cap because the grind was ridiculous
pretty fun, but themepark shit gets old fast
>>
I want more sandbox MMO's like Eve and Runescape, The WoW style games are sickening at this point.
>>
>>319279183
GW2 PVP is fucked if you don't have the expansion so it's not worth playing it anymore.
>>
Aren't video games in general repetitive. You do the same thing over and over again in the same game anyways.
>>
>RIP City of Heroes
>Fuck South Korea
>>
>>319279431
When you boil everything down to its core almost all video games are glorified skinner boxes. Do action, get result or instant feedback, feel good. It's worked for decades.

If the games world is immersive enough you forget about it. If it's not then you feel the grind and playing the game becomes a chore.
>>
>>319279347
I like EVE but I dislike how leveling is handled, I don't really like the idea of paying for a game for 2 years just so I can see if I like a play style.

I had some fun with the market and hauling but eventually I had billions in ISK and nothing to do with it other than paying other people to have fun on my behalf.
>>
>>319277978
>suggest to old high-school friends that we do some fun shit like going to the beach, make a movie/vidya night or even just chill somewhere, not necessarily in someone's house
>"nah bruh that shits boring, let's get wasted Lmao"
And they even enjoyed these stuff before, why did everyone turn dudebro? Fuck this, seriously.
>>
>>319279810
Having new experiences is overrated to the average person. They'd rather watch people on TV do it for them while they themselves get shitfaced.
>>
>>319269098
>MMO's will never stop being gear treadmills
>>
>>319279962
Wish there was an MMO with actual depth. It's always the same, start out with shit gear and hit little numbers then keep playing until you have gear that hits big numbers. Imagine a game where skills actually mattered, where mastery at something made you worth a shit. Say you were the best blacksmith in the game, you create your own recipes for weapons and your weapons are the best. People would suck your dick for your top tier weapons. I feel like that would be the dopest shit.
>>
>>319280215
>Albion online
There's your game.
>>
>>319280215
>>319280325

Not kidding.

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-i-became-the-leather-shoe-guy-in-albion-online/?utm_content=bufferd8ebf&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgfb

The game has you specify in certain fields of crafting, Read the story about how this guy just focused completely on leather shoes.
>>
>>319278051
i've met some pretty fucking boring persons in my life but holy shit anon
>>
>>319280215
Then you get into the issue of the top 1%
>>
>>319279183
>people actually PVE in GW games
wut
>>
mmos are mostly about pve with other ppl
questing can be done with other ppl mostly its solo effort so its never fun
Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.