[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Nintendo's Wii U has sold just 10.7 million consoles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14
File: Console.png (496 KB, 720x845) Image search: [Google]
Console.png
496 KB, 720x845
> Nintendo's Wii U has sold just 10.7 million consoles worldwide, and its inability to match the 101-million-selling Wii has hurt the console sector as a whole.
> "The Wii brought in this huge casual crowd, people who are not your hard-core gamers who are not playing your hard-core console games," said Michael Goodman, an analyst with the firm. "It's those people who have migrated over to the tablets and smartphones as a gaming experience. Microsoft and Sony have gone after their much more traditional console market."
>Thus, console gaming, Strategy Analytics wrote in its report, is becoming "mostly limited to the core gaming audience."
>Console games represent some of the industry's most immersive experiences and grandest displays of technology. Yet there are numerous hurdles to overcome for those new to the medium. Whereas film, television and music have become easier and cheaper to engage with, thanks to the rise of streaming services, getting into big-budget games remains a cumbersome, expensive hobby.
>Want to see "Star Wars: Episode VII — The Force Awakens"? It's as easy as buying a ticket, one in Los Angeles likely to cost somewhere around $15, and finding your way to the theater.
>But let's say you're a "Star Wars" fan and curious to check out "Star Wars Battlefront." If you don't already own a console, Sony is marketing a $349 bundle that includes the game. Then plan to drop an extra $50 or $60 for the privilege of playing online, which you'll need for a multiplayer-focused title such as "Battlefront."
> Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting. And that's not even taking into account the countless hours many games are designed to last.

How do we make games more accessible to non-hardcore gamers?
>>
>>319264287
We don't. Fuck the casuals.
>>
>>319264287

>The Wii brought in this huge casual crowd

No it didn't. It was stupid pc games like Farmville
>>
File: download.jpg (14 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
14 KB, 259x194
>>319264287
>>319264368
To elaborate further, there's already a huge game industry focused towards non-hardcore gamers on mobile devices as well as on PC. And that's perfectly okay.
>>
FUCK CASUALS
>>
>>319264368
This. Let casual tards have Farmville and Candy Crush Saga. If they get frustrated because they can't figure out how to sprint-slide-shoot in Battlefield, too fucking bad.
>>
You make smartphone games and then invite angel investors to advertise the shit out of them with celebrities and cartoon commercials. See

>Game of War
>Clash of Clans
>Angry Birds
>The Heroic Adventures of Kim Kardashian
>The Life and Times of Pewdiepie, starring Pewdiepie
>>
>>319264368

Why? There's nothing wrong with casuals. In fact they help subsidize the industry. If they all left we'd get fewer games and the games we do get would be lower quality since they'd be selling less copies without the casuals
>>
>>319264702
No. They'd be higher quality.

They might not LOOK as good but they would be better games.
>>
With this mentality, we'll be getting the Wii all over again, which opened the door for all the feminists and SJW's we now contend with because of its ultra casual library of Just Dance, shovelware minigame collections, and Wii Fit. Fuck that.
>>
>>319264287
>How do we make games more accessible to non-hardcore gamers?

Games are so simple now that it only excludes the literally mentally handicapped.
And they're actually not that bad at videogames
>>
>>319264287
This just seems like bitching about prices. Do you really expect watching a 2 hour movie once should be the same price as potentially thousands of hours of gameplay?
>>
>>319264702
I know right? I mean look at how much more complex the TES series became gameplay wise, we got so many new weapons and magic schools, a bigger map, more quests, the older games in the series can't even compare.
>>
>>319264580
NO IT ISNT FUCK CASUALS
>>
>>319264287
>Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting. And that's not even taking into account the countless hours many games are designed to last.

Guaranteed this is paid for by a publisher. No one on Earth will complain that their game simply has too much gameplay.
>>
>>319264998

But Skyrim is the best TES game even though it's casual friendly
>>
>>319264287
Make them easy, put them on phones and tablets, make them free but funded through microtransactions.
>>
>>319264786
This

Plus, I'd say the industry did just fine without every asshole on the planet owning a console/PC. In probably 5 years, it will be possible for single people/very small teams to recreate graphics/physics akin to Crysis 1 without breaking the bank.
>>
>>319265161
>But Skyrim is the best TES game
Most casuals echo this sentiment, minus "TES" but they haven't played any other Elder Scrolls.
>>
>>319265161
>buggy game that needs its fucking UI fixed by the community

Do you think you could elaborate why? What did you like at Skyrim that you didn't find in the previous games? Other than "muh better graphics".
>>
>>319264287
you need to attract kids.
But you need actual good games taht catter them.
Right now kids are just on nintendo and disney and skylanders. Devs now days dont care abot kids and games now days dont like to try kids games either.
Saying that kids bring less quality also doesnt work since this gen the average gamers is near 35 years old and is still shit. This gamers grow and start buying less so developers need another way to get money, hence the rise of f2p, p2online and dlc bullshit.
You need the whole industry to try and get new blood, not just a few ones.
>>
>>319265161
It's not. It's the best looking TES game, for sure, and as you said, the most casual-friendly, but it terms of map-size, content, depth, lore, or the unquantifiable 'feel' of the game, no, it loses.
>>
>>319264998
most of skyrims fans are "adults" or teens.
>>
>>319265646
What does that have to do with my post?

You telling me adults or teens can't be casuals?
>>
I thought we were basically in agreement games are as easy as they've ever been

>>319265364
you couldn't actually be any more wrong

Nintendo might pull in SOME kids but your average toe sucking 10-16 year old is clamoring to the ps4 for hardcore M rated games to play with their friends.

I would also raise the point that even that crowd is less invested in hardcore gaming than even 7 years ago.

Phones suit almost all their needs for gaming mainly because it's more social anyways.

I don't hear about teens getting together and playing halo all weekend anymore, now it's something like, play league for 40 minutes, get off and use their phones for the rest of the day. I've seen it in action too.
>>
Casuals play games on mobile. Non Casuals play games on consoles/pc. I actually think the industry is well compartmentalized right now, better than it was in 2008~ or so.
>>
>>319265161
Get out
>>
>>319265906
>I don't hear about teens getting together and playing halo all weekend anymore

Wait this is supposed to be an "old" thing now?

Then how fucking old am I supposed to feel for playing DOOM and Quake?
>>
>>319265906
>average toe sucking 10-16 year old is clamoring to the ps4 for hardcore M rated games to play with their friends.
not really, the avergae kid doesnt get M mature games any more becasue the parenting and becasue they mostrly go out with friends. Kids videogames became a niche nowdays, kids have little interest in becoming a consumer than just a one time thing.
There are more 50 year olds and adult women playing than kids of 18 or less and most likley are on hadhelds.
The idea that kids want adults games isnt real anymore.
>Phones suit almost all their needs for gaming mainly because it's more social anyways.
that's the problem, only a few try to get people to enjoy vidya in more than just a 2 min break thing. The whole industry is against the idea of bringing newblood with new startegies and reather downpay their current games to try to be as accesible as possible.
>>
I said it before and I'll say it again.
The sony and ms and the top few devs little cabal has all but sank the entire goddamned world.
Why? Because they don't even attempt to go after kids and they are too busy letting acti's fucking shills convince them with stupid bullshit marketing that CHILDREN ALL LOVE COD AND WANT TO PLAY THAT SHIT!! when not a single fucking person on the earth believes that.

Also nintendo's RETARDED wiiu debacle basically signed the death warrants of half of the dev houses out there and is shit tanking the entire goddamned industry. The fact that it's still making fucking money and children are honestly INTERESTED in the games on the system SCREAMS that nintendo fucked up.

At this moment, at this second. RIGHT NOW there are grade school children who only know gaming as the ps360 and wii and because of the net and 3d videos, they are not impressed in the current gen in the fucking slightest. It's litterally the exact same shit, just pricier.

They are honestly SURPRISED that you can play a game and unlock NEW CONTENT IN IT without having to pay for it and love the games even more for it.
There are adults BEGGING for games like the early ps360 games.
LOCAL CO-OP IS NO WHERE TO BE FOUND!!

And the relatively cheap genre filling and experimental titles that filled the collections of players world wide that the A and AA devs thrived off are gone. Along with that entire middle market.

The market is there, they just want to shit out a buggy online dependent microtranaction filled shit fest into those laptop pcs they call consoles and hope that they can sucker the aging and dwindling populace into buying the console and the crap box games.

Here's something they need to figure out. People will pay 5 dollars for a 6 hour gaming experience. Right now. Those steam sales, and how much money games make during those short ERREYTHING IS FIVE BUCKS sales on the consoles should tell you that.

The fucked thing?
>>
>>319266325
Get ready to feel old bro.

I have 3 10 year old cousins that play blops 3 on PS4 and talk shit about the wii u for being a kiddy console. Getting together with friends is getting in party chat and playing after school.

I told one I got a Wii U for black Friday and he asked if I was 4. He told me he posts on /b/ & /v/ all the time.
>>
>>319267072
Devs sucks at making games that derive from the usual core narrative.
we let the kid market die after the ps2 era.
>>
>>319267072
If the NX isn't a two hundred dollar budget console with shit loads of ram a fat hard drive and normal controllers and can play all old titles and use all old controllers...it's over.
I'm dead serious.
If the NX can't lure in the casuals, light a fire under the jadeds ass of the "gaymurs" and make the kids stand up and scream I WANT THAT it's over for the entire industry

It will be over for the console devs, the major devs and this includes pc devs and steamfags, and mobile will be hit VERY hard.
We'll be back to the free adgames and crappy high priced hardware dependent games era of the 90's.

Even worse, the software grey market has been totally destroyed so there is no way for the pc guys to make money on the kind piracy that doesn't actually materialize in a sale later down the line or good word of mouth.
>>
>>319264451
not even, commercialization brought in a huge casual crowd
>>
File: c26-B004Z7H07K-3a-s.jpg (14 KB, 304x235) Image search: [Google]
c26-B004Z7H07K-3a-s.jpg
14 KB, 304x235
>>319264287
Protip to Nintendo. Casuals don't have an interest in preschooler toys. Don't sell them that.
>>
>>319267117
Most 10 year olds don't even know that there is a fucking ps4 or xb1.
Nor are they in any rush to get one.
Who in gods name are you kidding.
>>
>>319267420
The kids do actually, if they didn't then tablets and handhelds would not be making money.
Secondly, if the total lack of a fuck given about the current gen consoles amongst the casuals is any indication...they don't want what sony and ms are selling either.
>>
>>319267313
>normal controller
>lure casuals
They dont care for the same shit that was last gen. It's a loss battle hardware wise becasue the core wont try new things and devs wont push that. It depends entirely on software and Devs suck at making GOOD casual games instead of just casualizing the ones we already have.
>>
>>319264702
Sure, let the casuals dictactes the industry.

Candy crash for all the world!

Get cancer and die already.
>>
>>319267598
Do casual audiences not care about the ps4 and xbone? I thought the ps4 was selling very well.
>>
>>319267313
Fine. Let it be over.
>>
>>319267471
nigga u dumb
>>
>>319267643
>let the casuals dictactes the industry.
they do already, but instead of making entirely different lines of software devs chose to change the current ones.
>>319267674
the ps4 is seeling on mostly the "core" market that we ahd before whcih was near 130M. Software is still down each year and most money from devs come from other services reather than software sells.
>>
>>319265364
Except kids are begging their parents to play cawadooty, so that narrative doesn't hold. Pandering to kids is fine, and necessary, but you're being close minded about what that entails.
>>
Reality is....

Nintendo fucked up with the Wii. Nintendo drove away it's gamer fanbase just to please non-gamers. Most people viewed the Wii as a exercise machine, not as a game console. Hence the best selling games were wii-fit, wii sports and ect. Meanwhile actual gamers left the Wii in serach for better games on the ps3 and 360. Most gamers just weren't satisfied with low resolution and shit graphics. Only the hardcore nintendrones stayed.

It may be the best selling console of it's time, but software sales overall was dogshit except for a few titles.... mainly fitness stuff. So when nintendo comes around and release the Wii U... their fitness casual buyers didn't come back. They viewed the wii like a treadmill. And they view the wii u like another trendmill. They don't need to buy another trendmill when their old one still works.

Nintendo's problem was that it tried to coddle to fitness fans and didn't give a fuck about their core gamers. It looked good on paper, nice sales for the wii, but at the cost of losing actual gamers. Low Wii U sales is just the ripple effect from the Wii days.
>>
>>319267598
Explain why Wii U is selling so poorly then.
>>
>>319268326
The wii u not having ports of cowadooty is what is killing it.
>>
>>319268520
Because AAA devs hates to work with it.
>>
File: 1436150944221.jpg (54 KB, 372x366) Image search: [Google]
1436150944221.jpg
54 KB, 372x366
I'm sick of everything having to be dumbed down for the lowest common denominator. God forbid these people put any amount of effort into something. Learning what the colorful buttons do on a plastic tow isn't that hard to do. If their that inept maybe these people should just be left alone so they can forget how to breath.
>>
>>319267984
Die.
>>
File: ~.webm (1 MB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
~.webm
1 MB, 480x480
>Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting
>>
>>319268179
>Except kids are begging their parents to play cawadooty
the avergae cod player is 21 kids make less than 20% of cod sells
>>319268326
> but software sales overall was dogshit except for a few titles
the wii had the same game per ratio as the 360 and ps3.
>>319268361
trying to bring kids and core into one place isnt factible anymore when only ninty and oter 2 make software to catter them and the core market dispise being realted to kids.
>>
>>319268361
Lack of abundant software that isn't Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Yoshi related. Look at the plaza when you get on a Wii U, the only thing that isn't any of those games is Splatoon.

Different architecture, uses a PowerPC from IBM, third party developers are too lazy when PS4 and Xbone both use AMD x86 arch, very easy to port to all while fucking up PC releases because they can't optimize for shit. See FO4 slowdowns because you need higher frequency RAM.

Bad naming scheme. Wii -> Wii U really? What a stupid name. Those casuals with a Wii think the Wii U really is a peripheral device and not a whole new console.

Lack of aggressive marketing. As in really aggressive marketing, old Sega style and even 90s Nintendo style.
>>
File: video games.jpg (573 KB, 3108x1564) Image search: [Google]
video games.jpg
573 KB, 3108x1564
>>319264287
o look

Someone wrote in 2015 what i wrote in 2008

You can't make an accessible video game

its impossible. What you can do is easy to play hard to master thingy but even then the game wont be accessible

These people can't get in their heads that games are different from everything else
>>
>>319269002
>the avergae cod player is 21 kids make less than 20% of cod sells
OK, but what the percentage of kids playing games that plays cod? That would actually be relevant.
>>
>>319264702
>without casuals games would be lower quality
>someone actually thinks like this
>>
>>319264287
>> Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting. And that's not even taking into account the countless hours many games are designed to last.

First World, 2015, 12 buttons is daunting. Even my fucking 5 year old niece can play Little Big Planet, and not die a million times.
>>
>>319264287
>Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting.

I keep telling myself that casuals are casuals. They wanted to play with minimal effort.
>>
The problem has already been solved, and the solution is called mobile/Facebook gaming. Those are the games that people who don't want to buy a console or "master a controller with 12-plus buttons" can play/enjoy, while they usually won't appeal to people who are really into video games.

There's no reason to try to push core games on people who don't play them, because the barrier to entry will always be too high, and if you lower that barrier to entry enough then you lose the people who liked core games in the first place. Basically like a much more extreme version of the "we want this one to appeal to a wider audience" issue that everyone hates.

If you try to make something that appeals to everyone, you're more likely to make something that appeals to no-one.
>>
>>319269140
What is this image supposed to be?
>>
STOOOOOP PLEASEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>319269678
>real life
>as the kid grows up picks up more complex toys since he finds non enjoyment in the simpler ones

>Video games
"casuals" pick up the harder game, drop it, find one simpler, drop it and finally get one that doesn't challenge them at all

Video games instead of getting harder and more complicated got simpler easier and shittier

I still can't figure out if the US government is directly attacking them or its just product of how much they fucked up their own universities
>>
>>319269254
if we use america thera are 150M americans playing videogame. 26% are undergae so that´s 39M kids.
Advance warfare sold 9.5M so a 20% of that is a 2M. So kids playing cod would make for 5% of kids playing "videogames"
>>
>>319270136
>if we use america thera are 150M americans playing videogam
Are you counting cellphone and browser games?
>>
>>319264451
You dont even have to go that far, ps2 already did that in a very strong way.
>>
File: 2025.jpg (13 KB, 298x273) Image search: [Google]
2025.jpg
13 KB, 298x273
>>319269517
>>319269327
Press the big red button to start the game, when you get tired, press the big red button to pause the game, hold the big red button to turn off the game.

Patenting this design now.
>>
>>319270284
The damage was caused by Nintendo who literally targeted families and promoted the gimmick

They coined the term
>>
>>319267313
>We'll be back to the free adgames and crappy high priced hardware dependent games era of the 90's.

90's was the golden era of gaming, i really do hope this happens. If it repels casuals and SJW scumbags off the gaming it's even better.
>>
>>319270302
Red is too aggressive and it might trigger people in 2025. To comply with the safe feelings act of 2020 you will need to change it.
>>
>>319270237
Counts a lot of things, also computer . If only using home console then it would be half the kids and a 10% of them playing cod.
>>
>>319268361
Because a good deal of the heavy hitters for the wiiu don't cater to the casual player at all.

Some of the biggest titles are monster hunter, hyrule warriors, bayonetta 2 or w101, now with X and SMTxFE coming, this doesn't cater to casuals, this caters to the hardcore audience.

If you check what can actually cater to casuals you have SM3DW, MK8 and not much more, and even those appeal to a hardcore audience in a way.

Casual pandering has always sold more, try to explain how in the fuck did splatoon reach similar sales to bloodborne while being on a system that sells way less.

Or just go ahead and check the biggest sellers for about any generation.

Out of the big three in this gen, nintendo catered to a hardcore audience way more than the others, but that has never reflected well in the market.
>>
>>319270448
>literally targeted families and promoted the gimmick

Totally unlike selling a goddamned dvd player, right.

>They coined the term

Lmao no they didn't, are you high?
>>
>>319270564
Ah shit you are right, what color should it be? I was kinda hoping the triggering thing would dissipate and people would start facing reality..
>>
>>319270649
This, Nintendo after the Wii U came out randomly wanted to try to appeal to it's base again but no one wanted it at that point except hardcore loyalists. Heck SM3DW has one of the hardest maps in any Mario game in it
>>
>>319270789
I'd go for a gender neutral green.

I also think it is important that the button doesn't actually do anything, the game should play itself, that way you don't hurt anyone's feelings if they do it wrong.
>>
>>319267471

>10 year olds aren't up with the latest gaming consoles

Fuck off
>>
>>319270836
That has to do with how everyone view nintendo, they thing becasue eveything is colorful or becasue it has nintendo name on it there's no depth on their software. So most of the core market dont even try.
>>
File: nintendocancer.png (97 KB, 1288x728) Image search: [Google]
nintendocancer.png
97 KB, 1288x728
>>319270638
Do you happen to know on which generation of consoles the blulk of CoD's player base started to play video games?

>>319270734
DVD players had nothing to do with video games

>>Lmao no they didn't, are you high?
But they did

Literally killed video games as we knew it which then enabled the other companies to destroy what was left

>activision came out with the yearly franchises kill everything else
>microsoft DLC and paid online
>Valve with the hatjewery and milking games they didnt make
>Sony/Ubisoft with the cinematic shit
etc

Without casuals nothing would have been possible, they would have all been crucified
>>
>>319264287
>12 PLUS BUTTENS
>>
File: 1444500290413.jpg (85 KB, 459x610) Image search: [Google]
1444500290413.jpg
85 KB, 459x610
>>319264287
>The Wii brought in this huge casual crowd

This is why Nintendo must die. They are directly responsible for the glut of SJWs in today's gaming population.
>>
>>319271258
>the blulk of CoD's player base started to play video games?
the avergae year for games to be playing videogames is 13 the kids were never prominent in COD.

>>319271258
>activision came out with the yearly franchises kill everything else
>microsoft DLC and paid online
>Valve with the hatjewery and milking games they didnt make
>Sony/Ubisoft with the cinematic shit
those are actually result of extreme expenses and online economic models getting popular.
>>
>>319271785
>the avergae year for games to be playing videogames is 13 the kids were never prominent in COD.
So most either started with ps2/xbox or 360.

>those are actually result of extreme expenses and online economic models getting popular.
More like generalized greed aka "free market"

>will nickel dime them until they stop buying

All they are doing is driving themselves into a corner, eventually they are going to reach the point they'll have to invest 100+ millions onto something they wont know if its going to pay off

And they are royally making people angry. Video games are interactive so the activity is personal. When you see a movie or read a book the person is completely passive, he doesn't do anything besides reading and critiquing and at the same times theres lot less to them than to video games, theres a way more the developers can fuck up and ruin the game

Casuals get angry too its just they are too lazy to throw a fit by themselves, the moment a shitstorm starts, they hop in as your average noncasual albeit they won't understand the reason of their anger since they are lazy and retarded

Also diffuclty is what measures the perceived achievement, if you are 21+ you wont feel joy from beating a bunch of 5 year old in basketball

I think what keeps video games ging as they are (shit) is the need of people to be part of a community
>>
>>319264287
It's not that the games don't court new ones, because they actually do and if you ever want to get new players you just introduce them to it, it's that consoles are no longer considered the main way to play games anymore. Everybody just uses their phones and tablets to play mobile shit, and for the most part they are content with those type of things. Majority of people that aren't that big into games won't see a reason to also then get a console to play other games when their phone already has that shit.
>>
>>319270875
Yeah, I will say its wireless, but actually it isn't connected to anything, so it just sits there on the table and people think it does stuff. Fortunately games in 2025 will be about 10-15 minutes max.

Then how do we deal with the issue of pausing? activity scanner built into the console?
>>
>>319264451
No it didn't. It was stupid Sony taking away games from their niche.
>>
>>319264287
>why don't people throw away their existing fanbase in favor of one that doesn't exist yet?
Gee I fucking wonder.
>>
>>319271258
I cant believe there is someone so fucking delusional out there to actually pin DLC on nintendo.

Congratulations.
>>
>before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons
WOOOOW I'M PRESSING BUTTONS I COULDN'T DO ANYTHING
>>
Are there actually a significant amount of guys under 40 who've never played a game console before? I don't see how those barriers he listed would actually be relevant to anyone who has casual knowledge of video games, as I would bet 90% of males under 40 do. They're not going to have trouble with a controller scheme that has been the exact same for literally 20 years. And price isn't an issue. These people know how expensive gaming consoles are, and gaming consoles are relatively cheap compared to last generation anyway.
>>
>>319265161
Why is blatant shitposting like this allowed?
>>
>>319272506
>why don't people throw away their existing fanbase in favor of one that doesn't exist yet?

But they do this all the time???
>>
>>319272225
>diffuclty is what measures the perceived achievement
videogames are not just for achivement, it's also for joy.
Videogames keep going the way they are becasuse we dont like new things and trying them is too expensive now days.
>>
>>319272536
Who brought the retards who ate that shit up?

I thought so
and no you can fucking see it by yourself in the picture
>>
>>319273172
>Who brought the retards who ate that shit up?
DLC originated in the core not casual market that came with wiiFit. it was the result as online infrastrucutre was becoming easier to do.
>>
>>319273172
>Who brought the retards who ate that shit up?

Sony and Microsoft, obviously.

Is your point seriously that the audience of the wii is responsible for what the audience of the ps3 and xbox360 gobbled up? Do you not realize how incredibly retarded that shit is?
>>
>>319271718
>This is why Nintendo must die. They are directly responsible for the glut of SJWs in today's gaming population.

I said the same thing years ago when SNES happened and the non-nerds came in. This led to loss of identity for me in highschool.

But look where you all are now, proud of your AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA simpleton shooter games.
>>
>>319273495
>. This led to loss of identity for me in highschool.
so you were a nerd above nerd or some shit?
>>
I think most games nowadays cater to "non-gamers" just fine. Easy difficulties where enemies can't really kill you and tons of checkpoints so you never have to start too far back and be discouraged.

An example of a "hardcore game for hardcore players" is one where you really have to be patient and when you die you are punished for it so that you're encouraged to learn from your mistakes and not die again.

I think the Dark Souls games and classic Mega Man games are good entry level "hardcore games." I'm sure many of you will scoff at that statement, but both of those games are ones where you have to learn patience and thinking things through to win. You can't just win them by running forward and mashing attack.
>>
>>319273495
>said the same thing years ago when SNES happened and the non-nerds came in.
Wait, what? I thought it was the Playstation that brought in the first non-nerds?
>>
>>319265150
I will, games constantly have shit in there I don't want.

The longest game on my top 10 is Resident Evil 4, and that's usually about 10 hours to complete for me, but because its so damn good I've gone back multiple times.

Shortest game is Silent Hill 2.

60 hour shitfests are killing gaming.
>>
>>319273156
>videogames are not just for achivement, it's also for joy.
Exactly and no one finds joy in something that is devoid of challenge. The same goes for anything the game wants to transmit. You reach the final boss who basically is attempting to destroy earth and you beat him with 3 hits or not even that, QTES. What do you think goes through the head of the player? this weakling piece of shit was going to do what?

If you get robbed by a 6'5 giga nigga who happens to have the strength of a 3 year old, would you feel threatened?

Casualization goes against the nature of video games

Also people can easily tell whats the purpose behind every element of a video game, the moment they detect jewery they get pissed off and the game

>Videogames keep going the way they are becasuse we dont like new things and trying them is too expensive now days.
Bullshit, the fad started mid last gen

>>319273392
DLC originated with retards who hadn't played video games. Why would someone who played older games whose devs released shit for free, would agree to pay for the exact same 1 or 2 generations later?

>>319273398
Except the picture from teh company nintendo signed with clearly says that nintendo did it because they were losing market share
>>
>>319264287
For economists "not growing a lot" means it's doing badly. They should try to attract faithful customers like they did in the older gens instead of a huge amount of people just in it because it's a trend who bought a wii.

>>319273734
It was with the snes that tv ads for vidya really started to show up.
>>
>>319273997
>Except the picture from teh company nintendo signed with clearly says that nintendo did it because they were losing market share

It says nothing of the sort.

>>319273997
>DLC originated with retards who hadn't played video games

No, god no it didn't, what??
>>
File: cancertendo.png (51 KB, 1136x332) Image search: [Google]
cancertendo.png
51 KB, 1136x332
>>319274137
are you blind?
>>
File: punished snack.png (452 KB, 629x403) Image search: [Google]
punished snack.png
452 KB, 629x403
I'm too jaded to care about almost all new games.
AAA publishers offer nothing and continue to waste hillarious amounts of money on the same old thing.
Indie is shit after a year or two of gold.
Mid sized sudios will never exist again and produce good games.

>mfw
>>
>>319273734
>>319273495

Nah SNES and Genesis were pretty much viewed as toys.
>>
>>319268520
It wouldn't save the WiiU, CoD isn't a game Nintendo is known for.
>>
>>319274274
It's just a deal with devil.
>>
>>319274274
You are pulling the mother of all non-sequiturs here.

Is your argument that people who didn't buy videogames bought a wii because of nintendo, then a ps3/xbox360 then bought DLC for it and thus standarized it? Is it seriously that?

Even if sony did the same shit with the PS2?
>>
>>319264287

we don't. this is great news that casuals are fucking off for good
>>
>>319264287
The majority of games cater to casuals. Nintendo is a company dedicated to casuals, what more do they want.
>>
>>319278197
>Nintendo is a company dedicated to casuals
Ayy
Lmao
>>
File: 1445467365073.webm (2 MB, 1000x428) Image search: [Google]
1445467365073.webm
2 MB, 1000x428
>>319264287
>why aren't video games like movies? i don't get it
>>
>>319267984
Dude, you are out of your tiny fucking mind if you think the "core" market is anywhere NEAR 130 million people.

It's barely half of that.
Remember, the consoles have been both rebought AND most of that core bought at least one every console from last gen.
They'll be FUCKING LUCKY if they get to and maintain 60 million combined console sales over the next five fucking years.

The have NO FUCKING IDEA of how to get those casuals. But they sure as fuck know how to float a fucking narrative that all but destroys the entire fucking industry in a desperate attempt to sink a competitor who's console was responsible for their sales!

BRILLIANT!!

If nintendo's console isn't a budget console and gets the casuals and children and womne and families and bored broke gamers....then it's over for fucking everyone. .
>>
>>319268326
Oh, yeah, that 20 million strong CORE GAMER STRONG fanbase.
You do realize that narrative doesn't work when you consider that the wii was bought by the people who always by nintendo stuff, and the wii had all of those kinds of games that the gc had last gen.

I honestly don't know who keeps stating this over and over again or why. But it's fucking stupid.
>>
>>Thus, console gaming, Strategy Analytics wrote in its report, is becoming "mostly limited to the core gaming audience."
>>Console games represent some of the industry's most immersive experiences and grandest displays of technology
>> Games, before one even tries to master a controller with 12-plus buttons, are daunting. And that's not even taking into account the countless hours many games are designed to last.
Man, I wish I lived in this guy's fantasy world.
>>
File: 1449449449750.jpg (97 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1449449449750.jpg
97 KB, 600x600
Most "core" games right now are more casual than Wii shit to begin with.

You got people getting paid to simplify shit as much as possible so that it can sell to the masses to make back the ridiculous development and marketing budgets.

Only barrier of entry is cost, and good luck with removing that.
>>
>>319267010
And what are you basing any of that on?
>>
>>319273734

It was 7th gen, X360 and wii specifically, coupled with smartphones.

Every gen before that was still largely ignored by casuals and normies bar a few mass appeal games such as sports titles, San Andreas or say, Goldeneye.
>>
>>319264287

Hurrrrrrr

>Let's say you're a "Star Wars" fan and curious to check out "Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens" on dvd. If you don't already own a TV with a dvd/blue ray player and other items that would be included in a home entertainment system, then it can be quite duanting to hop into the dvd watching experience. Not only will it cost you more than 500$ you also need the knowledge on how to operate the system on the remote with 20 or more buttons! And you better pay someone to hook up all these system to each other, as it can be quite complicated for your feeble mind.

Fuck casuals.
>>
File: Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg (2 MB, 3940x2300) Image search: [Google]
Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg
2 MB, 3940x2300
Casuals, ruining videogames since 1977
>>
>>319264287
The "hardcore" now are maden and cod kids and the "casuals" are micro transactions adicts gaming is fucked time to find a new hobby
>>
I told you fuckers Nintendo are poisoning the market! No one believed! Now they're gonna kill everyone off with their pseudo mobile NX shit and when consoles they'll be to blame!

The only way console gaming is saved is through the complete and total destruction of Nintendo as a hardware creator. By putting Nintendo franchises on Playstation you'll attract such a huge audience that you'll energize the entire console industry again.
Thread replies: 123
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.