[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How did Nintendo manage to make a console whose library is way
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 17
File: Pii U.jpg (6 KB, 298x169) Image search: [Google]
Pii U.jpg
6 KB, 298x169
How did Nintendo manage to make a console whose library is way more bland and barren compared to a Sega Saturn (including imports for both)?
Before you try to tell me how I'm wrong and that the Wii U is amazing, post a timestamp of your Sega Saturn (preferably with an Action Replay), because I doubt you even own/played on one.
>>
But the problem with Saturn wasn't that majority of good titles staid in Japan?
>>
File: me.jpg (70 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
70 KB, 640x640
Pic related alone is better than practically anything on the Wii U, and I own both.
>>
>>318786204
There were still some decent titles that came over, especially some of the JRPGs.
>>
Is everyone just gonna avoid this thread and pretend the Wii U is an amazing console that's up there with the PS2?
>>
>>318785730
Sega Saturn was actually really fucking good, though. Much better than even the N64, although still lagging behind the PS1 imo
>>
>>318787427
Of course. What do you expect, for them to admit they're wrong?
>>
Can we have a Nintendo containment board so they won't shit up /v/?
>>
Im a nintendo fan and I must accept buying a wiiu transformed me into a sonygger and now i despise nintendo.

I never liked xbox because it killed my brother
>>
>>318788252
I at least want some feedback or to at least tell someone how they're wrong and need to get taste.
>>318788439
If you have to identify with a console manufacturer, there is something wrong with you.
>xbox killed my brother
Was Jet Set Radio Future, Phantom Dust and Ninja Gaiden Black too much for his little heart?
>>
File: 1448696686637.png (115 KB, 250x226) Image search: [Google]
1448696686637.png
115 KB, 250x226
>mfw Sega fans still cant accept defeat
>>
>>318788861
Read what I said to >>318788439
Being an idort is bretty dope.
>>
>>318788401
We really should. Pokemon was the first step. I would still like to talk about Nintendo stuff, but Smash garbage and other things get pretty out of hand here.
>>
>>318789735
What's stopping them from using their board as a big circle jerk and still come here? We still get plenty of Pokemon threads despite an entire board dedicated to the franchise.
>>
>>318789858
im sure when the mods enforce nintendo containment they will stop, maybe we can even push Nintendo off site completely
>>
>>318789858
Mods would just have to crack down on the excessive posting.
Yeah, yeah, I know. Mods probably won't do it.
>>
>>318788726
It was blinx the time sweeper actually
>>
>>318790545
Damn, nigga. I'm so sorry.
>>
you know, since nintendo an hero in a few months, maybe we won't need containment, they'd just shift over to /vr/
>>
>>318788401
>Can we have a Sony containment board so they won't shit up /v/?

FTFY.

75% of all consolewar threads are Sonyponies shitting on Nintendo.

With this, Sonyfags can leave Nintendrones and Xbots alone to their own shit because Microsoftfags don't fucking start shit like this very often for some unknown reason.
>>
File: sony fan gets tattooed.jpg (68 KB, 636x358) Image search: [Google]
sony fan gets tattooed.jpg
68 KB, 636x358
Saturn existed in an age where 3rd party exclusives still existed. Not only does Wii U not have 3rd party exclusives, it doesn't even have 3rd party games. It's basically a Nintendo box, and Nintendo has very obviously abandoned it in favor of their next console. So you're left with a pretty abysmal library. A handful of good games but it's mostly blah and completely forgettable. It'll go down in history as the worst console of all time in every conceivable aspect
>>
>>318792171
Smashfags alone shit up /v/ more than console war threads. Add in Splatfags and Mario waifufags, and you have some of the biggest cancers on /v/.
>>
>>318788401
/v/ is the containment board.
>>
>>318792358
I'm talking about console war threads specifically.

I couldn't give a shit about people talking about video games ON THE VIDEO GAMES BOARD.
>>
is there a single decent thread on this board right now
>>
>>318792364
this

we're all literal cancer and we deserve each other
>>
>>318793050
not while nintendo is around
>>
File: SaturnWiiU.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1124) Image search: [Google]
SaturnWiiU.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1124
>>318785730
> Before you try to tell me how I'm wrong and that the Wii U is amazing, post a timestamp of your Sega Saturn
Here’s a handful of games from shelf and some that were easy to reach.
The underageb& is strong. How is the Saturn library bland? What?

The Wii U library is the best Nintendo console library in over a decade. Better than GC and much better than Wii.
>>
>>318793560
I will argue that the library is way better then the Wii, but Gamecube? Ehhhhhhhhhhh....
>>
>>318793731
The best game on GC got remade for the Wii U and is surprisingly the superior version.

Rest of GC is pretty lackluster with a few standouts. Still good library.
>>
>>318793560
I would argue that the Wii had more decent games than the Wii U.
>inb4 BUT WAGGLAN SHIT
>>
>>318793560
I don't understand how someone who liked Panzer Dragoon Saga could have such terrible opinions, but I guess that's how it works. The Wii U's library is by no means "bad", but the GC and Wii were both better, the GC in particular. Wii U's library is easily my least favorite library ever, unless we include stupid shit like 3DO and VB
>>
>>318785730
>the saturn actually had a bunch of really solid titles
well, you got me there, OP.
>>
>>318794273
Nope. I own 2 wii games and don't plan on buying more. Waggle shit is trash and thank god did Nintendo smarten up and drop that shit.

>>318794379
MK8 is the best in the series
Tropical freeze is amazing.
Splatoon was fun as fuck.
Mario Maker.
And other games.

Really it's just going to come down to how Nintendo handle Zelda U. If they do a cross gen port, I'm probably done with Nintendo. If I can't even expect a Zelda game for a console anymore from Nintendo, then it really limits my interest.

GC has good games but not a whole lot that’s amazing. Just pretty great.
>I don't understand how someone who liked Panzer Dragoon Saga could have such terrible opinions
Not saying Wii U is perfect. It lacks rpgs among other genres.
>>
>>318795124
So if NX gets Zelda U you're done with Nintendo? Or have I misread this
>>
>>318795372
Probably will be. It’s my favorite series from Nintendo so it’s a personal opinion. Nintendo would need to have some kind of justifiable reason to do so with Zelda. If it’s bullshit like needing a launch game, I’m not supporting that.

Also would be the first time since NES that a Nintendo console didn’t get an exclusive Zelda game.
>>
>>318795124
>And other games.
this is how you can tell there aren't other games
>>
>>318795124
>MK8 is the best in the series
But it's just the same old tired game slightly updated with more bloated shit packed in
>Tropical freeze is amazing.
nintendo just reboots the same game franchises and hopes your nostalgia goggles do the rest
>Splatoon was fun as fuck.
the only people who'd find fun in under aged children spraying water on each other is pedophiles
>Mario Maker.
>we don't feel like making a game so you do it
>And other games
what other games? seems you can't even remember any of them

ZeldaU was pushed back to be a launch title for the NX, using the same pre-rendered tech they used to fool zelda fans back when the wii came out
>>
>>318795815
It's not like they were planning on doing it that way, like they didn't know the Wii U was going to fail. They can't keep putting out high profile releases on a console with a user base so small they could never hope to recapture the game development cost

I also don't really see what difference it makes. It's almost as if you just want to exclude people who didn't buy a Wii U from playing the game, which sounds really childish
>>
>>318795815
Are you me? If they let you choose Link's sex by surprise I am done. He looks so much like he could be a girl from the "trailer" so far, I'm bracing myself for a "Oh, and you can choose Link's gender."
>>
>>318795124

>Splatoon
Seriously nigger? That game is garbage. I can only see you liking it if you've never played a competitive online shooter in the past 12 years besides like...TF2 or something.

Tropical freeze is literally "My first slightly hard platformer"

7 was better than 8. Doubledash was better than 7. 8 couldn't even beat SASART.
>>
>>318796240
>them shitty opinions
Nice to know you're trying to cope with your ignorance, good luck.
>>
List of great Gamecube exclusives that are still exclusive:
>SSBM
>Paper Mario: TTYD
>Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
>Animal Crossing
>Super Mario Sunshine
>Star Fox Adventure
>Star Fox Assault
>Pokemon Colosseum
>Pokemon XD
>Luigi's Mansion
>Mario Kart: Double Dash
>Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Yes, I am including it)
>Eternal Darkness
>F-Zero GX
>Baten Kaitos
>Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
>Zelda: Four Swords Adventures
>Chibi-Robo (Japan got a Wii version, but eh)
>Kirby's Air Ride
>Skies of Arcadia Legends (Yes, a port, but the best version currently)

List of gamecube exclusives that were ported over to other platforms, but are still great:
>Tales of Symphonia
>REmake
>RE0
>Metroid Prime
>Metroid Prime 2
>Pikmin
>Pikmin 2
>Zelda: Wind Waker
>Zelda: Twilight Princess
>Viewtiful Joe
>Viewtiful Joe 2
>Killer 7
>Harvest Moon: A Wonderful Life
>SADX
>SA2: Battle
>RE4 (Wii version is best though)

List of great Wii exclusives (Ignoring Wii U eShop)
>New Super Mario Bros. Wii
>Mario Kart Wii
>Super Smash Bros Brawl
>Super Mario Galaxy
>Super Mario Galaxy 2
>Zelda: Skyward Sword
>AC: City Folk
>Metroid Prime 3
>Wii Sports
>No More Heroes 2
>Zak and Wiki
>Trauma Center: New Blood
>Trauma Center: Second Opinion
>Sonic Colors
>WarioWare: Smooth Moves
>Super Paper Mario

Titles on Wii that were ported over to others, but are still great:
>No More Heroes
>Monster Hunter Tri
>Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii version is still best version though)
>Zelda: Twilight Princess
>Donkey Kong Country Returns
>That Kirby Wii game

List of great Wii U Exclusives:
>Super Smash Bros for Wii U (I will count it since it has vast differences from the 3DS version)
>Splatoon
>Super Mario Maker
>Mario Kart 8
>Super Mario 3D World
>Yoshi's Wooly World
>Super Mario Bros U (Along with the Luigi DLC)
>Xenoblade Chronicles X
>Bayonetta 2
>Hyrule Warriors
>Pikmin 3
>Wonderful 101
>Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze

List of great games that are ports:
>Zelda: Wind Waker HD
>Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
>>
>>318796359
That sounds like a really small thing to get so angry over.
>>
test
>>
>>318797295

Fuck you nigger.

Not even that anon. But I keep hearing "These seem like small things you're getting angry over", as if that makes my anger not come from a legit place.

But there's a fucking LOT of little shit I'm getting angry over, and told to not worry about it, because it's just a little thing. But one little thing a lot of times leads to another little thing. And all these little things have slowly built up to a big fucking thing.

So fuck you, female link is my line.
>>
>>318796931
Looking at all those good games, I forget what we were angry about. I'm sure we could compose the same for the competition.
>>
>>318796092
I don’t need to type the library out. There’s very good games. I just pointed out the titles that stood out to me.

Bayonetta 2 was even fun. I normally hate qte games.

>>318796265
>They can't keep putting out high profile releases on a console with a user base so small they could never hope to recapture the game development cost
They’re making money.

>I also don't really see what difference it makes. It's almost as if you just want to exclude people who didn't buy a Wii U from playing the game, which sounds really childish
Maybe to someone who’s casual. I don’t mean meme shit. I mean casual. If you play games on and off and probably don’t keep things around or will lose interest in the hobby 5 or so years from now it doesn’t matter.

It’s a slap in the face to someone who’s hobby is video games. I’m passionate about the hobby. Consoles need to have an identity with games that define them. Unfortunately, that’s largely lost today and people want to promote the casualization and homogenization of consoles.

Not that cross gen games are bad. Zelda is a console seller though and huge part when people rank Nintendo consoles.

>>318796359
I don’t care about the gender shit. If they pass an opportunity to play as Zelda so they can force some bullshit girl Link then ya… I doubt that will happen though.
>>
>>318796931
I should note I screwed up on a few, like the Kirby game (Technically it is on Wii U as well, but eh).

Also, Zelda Wii U, TP HD, and Star Fox Zero should be great once they are out, and maybe the FE X SMT game. Also stuff like Fatal Frame is also alright, but I ran out of space.
>>
>>318796931
There's a new Trauma Team game coming to the eshop tomorrow.
>>
>>318797586
>They’re making money.
As a company they posted a small profit last year, due mostly to DLC and Amiibos, if you look at the report. It doesn't mean any particular venture was profitable. The Wii U by and large has been a huge hit to their profits, and is costing them money, both short term, and long term if you look at the brand damage it's caused.

As a company, I can't blame them for wanting to quickly move on and sweep it under the rug. It's what I would do, and again, it's not their fault the system failed
>>
>>318797586
>Zelda is a console seller though and huge part when people rank Nintendo consoles.
So in other words, you don't like it because when Wii U comes up in conversations, people will say "it didn't have a Zelda game" and you'll have no way of defending that.

Again, I'm feeling you're a pretty childish person.
>>
>>318797776
>new
It's a port of Trauma Team, not a new game.
>>
>>318797973

>It's not their fault the system failed

It is directly their fault the system failed.

They failed to make a console which third parties found palatable. Then their fanbase drove it into them that it's alright, that no one needs third parties, that all they want is first party games.

They lost less market share than the last time they had those ideas, which was the Genesis/Snes war, when they lost 40% market share...but let's not guild the lilly. If they can't clean up their third party relationships, they'll be dead in the water no matter how good the NX's first party titles go.
>>
>>318798134
I have no problem selling my Wii U or giving up on Nintendo. Did so with Wii and if that shit happens with Zelda U I may just be done.
Personally I don’t I like or get the whole “consoles need to be the same” argument. You’re obviously for it and will name call to defend your opinion.
>>
>>318798163
Wait, is it the eShop crap that is basically the Wii version, or is it actually a proper port with 1080p and touchscreen support?

Jesus, I am surprised we have not seen a Trauma Center game on the Wii U with that sort of support. Would be far better then the Wii versions.
>>
>>318785730

The question is how did the other 2 manage to have an even more bland library?
>>
>>318786240
That's wonderful, now tell us of all the great games Sega came up with recently.
>>
File: the fallen brothers.jpg (206 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
the fallen brothers.jpg
206 KB, 1024x768
I don't particularly have a pig in this race, I just wanted to dig the old guys out and take a photo.

Poor dreamcast, so ahead of its time.
>>
>>318798513

Touchscreen support would make the first two Trauma Center games playable, I dropped them on Wii because it was too inaccurate to recognize pentagrams
>>
>>318794264
>The best game on GC got remade for the Wii U and is surprisingly the superior version.
When did Eternal Darkness come out on the Wii U?
>>
>>318785730

The Wii U has a better library than everything sega ever made.

When will the sega meme stop.
>>
>>318798796

Not that anon, but SEGA has been in a silver age for the past 5 years or so.

They've had 3 major fuck-ups (Boom, A;CM and Rome 2), two of which were caused by people who were already going to be fired. Meanwhile, they were busy buying several companies, including atlus, firing a bunch of dead weight, restructuring the entire company to integrate their purchases, and pass the reigns down to the son of Hajime Satomi, Haruki, who is a massive SEGA fag who knows english and Japanese and was educated in the U.S.

The second half of last gen was killer for them. Starting with Valkyria Chronicles in 08 really, but picking up speed from there.

Binary Domain
Project Diva games
Yakuza games
SASART
Colors
Generations
A:I
Their publishing wing killed it
Their subsidiaries killed it (besides Rome II)
Their arcade division underwent a complete revitalization, and the first thing they produced since was Chunithm, which is fucking AMAZING.

SEGA is right on the cusp of a new Golden Age anon. The first words out of Haruki's mouth when he got put in the position this summer were those "We betrayed fan's trust, we wanna be a brand again" things he said.
>>
>>318787427
>Gamecube
>shit
>Wii
>shit
>Wiiu
>shit

Nintendo needs to get out of the console game and go handheld exclusively. The last acceptable console they made was the N64. I didn't even realize you could exist as a console manufacturer with 20 years of no third party support.
>>
>>318799771
Different anon. You're fucking nuts.
>>
>>318798480
I just don't care that Wii U probably won't get an exclusive Zelda. I don't need pissing points because I don't argue with faggots. When someone says the Wii U was pretty bad, I agree with them, because it's mostly true, and I don't take it personally because I'm not a child. I'm willing to give Nintendo another chance especially if they're willing to correct their mistakes, most important in my opinion is the unique snowflake complex.

At the end of the day I don't even want another piece of redundant hardware. I have a perfectly good PC that could run any theoretical game they could develop just fine. But they want to keep selling hardware and they want to incentivize buying it with 1st party exclusives, so I'll buy it and if it at least has some good games, I don't mind

It's the games I care about at the end of the day. Nintendo typically makes good games. I'd prefer to play them on PC because it really should be all anyone needs. There's nothing magical a console can do that a PC can't do, and I guess having uniform x86-64 consoles is a step closer in the right direction

If exclusives didn't exist this would be a much nicer place. Imagine being able to talk about what games you like without having to bring up this constant brand loyalty playground shit
>>
>>318799771
>3rd person shooter
>miku rhythm game
>QTE the game
>sonic games

Cmon man, not saying they aren't good games but you can't call the Wii U bland and praise these titles.
>>
>>318799848

It's because they have their own niche, they would probably do worse if they released the same exact games 2 other consoles already do
>>
Sega Saturn owner here. The system's best games are ports.
>>
>>318793731
What are the good Gamecube games?
>>
>>318800091

>Shitting on B:D
>Shitting on SEGA rhythm tech
>Calling Yakuza "QTE the game"

Are you fucking kidding me.
>>
>>318800014
Why do you keep saying I care if the Wii U fails or not?
At first I thought you were autistic or something. Maybe just young. But now you're just projecting.
>>
>>318800289
Rhythm and 3rd person shooter genre is oversaturated as is, and though I'm not saying they're bad games, if you're saying the Wii U's library is bland in comparison, then you're the one that's joking.

>shitting on Nintendo platforming
>shitting on Platinum action games
>calling Mario Kart "bland"
>>
>>318800112
So better to just release the exact 4 games they've been making for 20 years?

>Mario + dumb gimmick
>3D Zelda + gimmick
>Mario Kart
>Smash + autism
>>
>>318800603

Yes, since it keeps them alive

I usually enjoyed the other games on their consoles though
>>
>>318800601

I can say the same about platforming, MK, and platinum games as oversaturated as well. How many platinum or platinum-like games have come out in the past 3 years and will be coming out? How many Mario karts are there? How many platformers on Nintendo consoles are there?

I never said the WiiU is bland, just that SEGA is in a Silver age and about to be in a golden age.

This is why Nintendo doesn't have an third party support. Their fans can't play well with others. When a game comes out on one of their consoles, the fandom splits.
>>
>>318800401
Assuming you're the same person, you said you'd be done with Nintendo if they brought Zelda U to the NX. You went on to talk about console identity and system sellers and a lot of things that are part of the console faggotry mantra.

Like, how does that possibly affect whether or not you'd enjoy the game? Zelda U is a video game and the exact same game could theoretically exist on any platform, and assuming it's a good port, it wouldn't change the game. But to you, it would be soiled or something.

I'm actually the one who doesn't get it. I guess that means I have autism, right? Yeah, ok
>>
>>318800952
8 mario karts since 1992, compared to 6 (and soon to be 7) Yazuka games since 2005.

>Their fans can't play well with others

Maybe you should read OP's post again.
>>
File: CaptainToad.jpg (114 KB, 456x642) Image search: [Google]
CaptainToad.jpg
114 KB, 456x642
Fatal Frame > Until Dawn
Bayonetta 2 > The Order 1886
Captain Toad > Journey
Super Mario 3D World > Knack
Mario Kart 8 > Does the PS4 have an exclusive racing game?
Oh, but you've got Bloodborne. Good for you.

I kept being reminded that the good PS4 exclusives are coming but they never come.
>>
>>318801250
d be done with Nintendo yes. The console itself matters little to me. Games generally are what I care about.
Games are what define the console as I said.

If the Zelda U is a cross gen game, then I’m not going to be upset with the Wii U. I’m upset with Nintendo.
>>
>>318801358
Oh and I'm forgetting a few spin-offs for Yazuka, counting those will give it more games than Mario Karts.
>>
File: exclusives.png (777 KB, 1354x483) Image search: [Google]
exclusives.png
777 KB, 1354x483
>>318801727

As a WiiU owner i might buy a PS4 at the end of net year, that's roughly when the interesting games will finally catch up
>>
>>318801727
>Fatal Frame > Until Dawn
Both shit
>Bayonetta 2 > The Order 1886
Yes
>Captain Toad > Journey
Yes
>Super Mario 3D World > Knack
Yes
>Mario Kart 8 > Does the PS4 have an exclusive racing game?
Hard to compare a kart racer to a real racing game
>Oh, but you've got Bloodborne. Good for you.
Bloodborne wasn't even that good
>I kept being reminded that the good PS4 exclusives are coming but they never come.
The Wii U had a year head start on the PS4, so it's not really a fair comparison. Also, whereas the Wii U is winding down, arguably already dead, the PS4 is gearing up and has a bright future. In the end, I think good PS4 exclusives will probably outnumber good Wii U exclusives, but by that time we'll be talking about PS4 vs NX anyway, with Wii U being a footnote that no one really wants to remember
>>
>>318802025
>then I’m not going to be upset with the Wii U. I’m upset with Nintendo.
I don't understand this. They're just responding as any business would to an unfavorable situation.
>>
>>318802070
>>318801358

There's 0 games like yakuza, and the yakuza spin-offs don't really play like yakuza.

How many kart games exist with the exact same mechanics as Mario Kart?

We keep talking about blandness, and I'm not someone who implies that originality is necessary to make a good game. The industry is highly iterative.

But keep being a faggot fanboy.
>>
>>318802278
Wii U is making money...
>>
>>318802576
You clearly don't know the difference between a product and a company.
>>
>>318802953
More projecting.
Why would Nintendo devalue one of its own products to add value to another? That's shitty business practice.
>>
File: images.jpg (6 KB, 103x136) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6 KB, 103x136
>>318802325
Sure, open world games with fist fight combat with an Asian setting don't exist at all outside of Yakuza.

>but they're different

Yeah, so are Kart games.

Not that "not done outside of the franchise" is a good defense. Assassin's Creed games are bland and stale without too many people trying to copy them

>faggot fanboy

Between me and the OP, who said one system's library was much better than another system's library?
>>
>>318803225

>Sleeping Dogs and Yakuza are even remotely similar

Have you ever played a yakuza game, anon?

They're in entirely different genres.

How many Brawler RPGs exist? Not to mention the weird amount of side stuff and the particular humor and crazy ass stories

It's in it's own class, and scratches an itch that no other game could. Doesn't make it better or worse than Sleeping dogs, but the two are very different.

>Between me and the OP

You're both faggots. OP is a faggot. Where do you think you are?
>>
>>318803216
Because the current product doesn't have much value to begin with.
>>
Someone just posted the NX's cpu as an ARM

tell your friends the NX is just a calculator
>>
>>318803847
It's maintaining profitability.
>>
>>318803216
Launches are extremely important. Bolstering the NX's launch lineup could easily make or break the system

Nintendo posted annual losses in FY 2011, 2012 and 2013, three years in a row and for the first time in the company's recent history. If you'd read the reports, they were mostly entirely caused by Wii U development costs (including software) and the failure of the system. FY 2014, the most recent report, saw a return to black but only marginally, and it was attributed to DLC and Amiibos.

Nintendo makes a large variety of products and a profit shouldn't be interpreted to mean that every product they sell is profiting. It's actually *despite* the sizable loss the Wii U is causing them that they were able to post a small profit last year, not because of it. By extension, if the Wii U had never existed, they would have profited even more last year.

With the only major seller left on the horizon being Zelda U, it is very unlikely at this point the Wii U will even fill in the dent it's made as a venture, let alone actually start to become profitable.

And that's just the short term damage. Long term, you're looking at irrevocable brand damage that the Wii U has caused to Nintendo. People like you, who have a (quite misplaced) sense of being abandoned are the least of their problems because they wager, and quite correctly, that you're going to keep buying their shit regardless. What matters are the casuals and the people who will say "Nintendo? Didn't the Wii U flop? We're not buying that" that they need to distance themselves from, and the only way they can do that is to replace the Wii U with something else in the public's mind as quickly and efficiently as possible.
>>
>>318803685
Some franchises have their own style and "scratch an itch no other game could"? Congrats on figuring out 10 million bought the Wii U. It's a small number but still 10 million.

>OP is a faggot but not a "fanboy faggot" for defending his system harder than I ever did for mine
>>
>>318785730
The Wii U has by far the most appealing library of any of the current gen consoles. It's just a shame it's hardware is wank.
>>
File: bill.jpg (11 KB, 204x281) Image search: [Google]
bill.jpg
11 KB, 204x281
>Wii U gets a bunch of first party games like MK8, Sm4sh, Bayo 2, Tropical Freeze, SM3DW, Pikmin 3 etc and it gets called a no games machine

>PS4 literally only has Bloodborne and it's being called the new PS2.

What went wrong?
>>
File: 1447949080870.png (85 KB, 294x258) Image search: [Google]
1447949080870.png
85 KB, 294x258
>>318785730
>(preferably with an Action Replay)
>>
>>318804172
How do you define that? Nintendo went from being in damn near everyone's home with Wii, to being the butt of every joke with the Wii U.
>>
>>318785730
>Saturn library
>bland
>>
>>318804778
Multiplats are still games, something nintendo fanboys will never understand.
>>
-Achivement system for Wii U games and NX games
-Backwards comparability
-3rd party games

this is how nintendo can win guys
>>
>>318804778
The xbone. If they hadn't fucked up so bad Sony wouldn't have gotten away with half the shit it did
>>
>>318805004
>3rd party games
They need hardware that isn't borderline retarded, so good luck with that.
>>
>>318805048
The irony is that in the end everything's getting monitored anyways:

https://thestack.com/security/2015/11/30/italian-authorities-to-invest-150-million-euros-on-monitoring-playstation-chat-despite-discredited-link-to-paris-attacks/
>>
>>318801727
i have a wii u and a ps4 but fucking hell you are deluded captain toad is average and journey is one of the most critically praised games of the generation stop please
>>
>>318804856
Poor marketing.
>>
>>318804959
>Multiplats are still games
>fucking indie, pcdownports and destiny
Maybe we don't WANT to understand.
>>
>>318804856
>maintaining profitability
>How do you define that?
Not the same person, but holy shit, are you really this fucking stupid?

It's profitable, Nintendo is making money by selling it. I don't know how you could possibly misunderstand the meaning of the word profitability.
>>
>>318805509
>grand theft auto
>battlefield
>red dead redemption
>Far Cry
>actual racing games
Nice strawman nintendrone, but third party games cover a shitload of different genres that Nintendo can't hope to cover alone.
>>
>>318805529
>Nintendo is making money by selling it.
Barely. Try again brony.
>>
>>318796636
>7 was better than 8.
You are a fucking gross individual you know that?
>>
>>318805750
>red dead redemption
Only legitimate game on the list.

>grand theft auto
Ok series, hasn't been great since the PS2 era.

>battlefield
>Far Cry
>actual racing games
>actually posting pcdownports
Stop.
>>
>>318805004
But Microsoft patented achievements.

Also multiplayer game invites I think, which is why getting your friends in a match is such a pain in the ass.
>>
>>318805316
>hardware
Why does everyone think this matters? Has nothing to do with hardware, it's all demographics and business practice.

PS3 and 360 are still getting games and share/shared lot with PS4/Xbone. No reason those games could not have seen Wii U ports. DS and Wii had plenty of 3rd-party support despite their hardware being shit, same goes for every Nintendo handheld. Nintendo doesn't have the audience these western AAA games appeal to, they don't have ads on their home menu and the only DLC they want to peddle is for their own games, not the $30-50 season passes that come with just about every western game.

Nintendo doesn't have the same audience and does;t do business the way EA/Activision/Ubisoft/Etc. do. That's all there is to it. all these publishers could make Wii U games on budgets that would be a fraction of what they spend on any given PS4/Xbone/PC game. They just don't want to because the bloated, broken AAA model that brings massive short-term gains is all they want,t hat's what brings growth for shareholders every year. It's why the AA devs are dead, why we have so few niche games made by professionals who aren't indies in San Fransisco.
>>
>>318805750
GTA only had a year, and it was on PS3. RDR isn't on PS4. Battlefield is 10ping online with no actual teamwork.

All you're really doing is listing reasons to get a PC, or settle with a PS3 like any actual sane consumer would do.
>>
>>318805529
>It's profitable, Nintendo is making money by selling it.
Just because they make a few dollars with each Wii U sold doesn't mean the Wii U as a whole has made them money. There's R&D, marketing and a slew of inventory related costs, and that's just hardware. Typically the console licensing paradigm remakes its money by selling licenses to 3rd party developers, which Nintendo has totally fumbled this generation so that's negligible. Finally, their own software development costs. Nintendo doesn't shit out things like Bayonetta 2 for free. Games of that caliber cost millions of dollars to develop and consider the total sold, it's unlikely they even broke even, let alone profited off of them. Consider Ubisoft's ZombiU sold 500k copies and Ubisoft said it didn't come close to making a profit, and that should clue you into how ridiculous modern game development costs are.

The Wii U isn't "profitting". They're keeping it around for a loss because they can't weather the bad PR of outright canning it. Nintendo's pockets are deep enough to take one for the team, and make no mistake, that's the only reason the Wii U is still around. You are completely delusional.
>>
File: 1421143948909.jpg (29 KB, 400x396) Image search: [Google]
1421143948909.jpg
29 KB, 400x396
>>318786204
>staid
>>
>>318806250
>The Wii U isn't "profitting".
Incorrect. It is.
>>
>>318806117
Sorry, 10 tickrate.
>>
>>318806250
Profit =/= net profit.

Wii U is profitable as confirmed from the shareholder meetings.
>>
>>318805750
Can play all but RDR on PC, and RDR is on the 360/PS3 I already own in the first place, so why do I want another non-Nintendo console?

If I'm shelling out $400+ for a new machine, why settle for one that looks and performs marginally better than my decade-old console instead of spending a little more for one that will shit all over it and push at least 1080p/60fps on everything?
>>
>>318805961
>he spent $600 on a PS4 to play Battlefield and Far Cry
This is why we laugh at Sonyggers.
>>
>>318806675
>>318805750
>>
>>318806250
Read the fucking financial reports and shit from shareholders meetings. It's profitable. They were and still are making money on it. This is a fact.

>The Wii U isn't "profitting". They're keeping it around for a loss because they can't weather the bad PR of outright canning it.
You're so fucking stupid it hurts.
>>
>>318806250
>Consider Ubisoft's ZombiU sold 500k copies and Ubisoft said it didn't come close to making a profit
That's because it went through development hell, had been retooled completely twice and Ubisoft are notoriously bad at budgeting games.
>>
>>318806475
So if something cost a billion dollars to develop, it shouldn't be considered a loss as long as it's bringing in a couple million dollars a year, an income that can only be counted on continuing for a couple years?
>>
>>318807084
>strawmanning because he's wrong
kek

It is an inarguable, concrete fact that the Wii U is profitable. Meaning Nintendo has not lost, but made money by developing and selling it.

The hardware is fucking old as dirt, the most expensive component to manufacture is the gamepad. Hilarious how the console will get shit on left and right for being barely better than 360/PS3, consoles from a decade ago, but Nintendo most SURELY lost millions upon millions developing this cutting-edge 480p touchscreen and hardware from 2006.
>>
>>318802576
>Wii U is making money...
Not nearly as much as they want though. Nintendo isn't satisfied with Wii U's shit performance as stated from Iwata before he died.

They clearly want to give it the boot already. And they aren't going to waste any more of their resources on that shit.
>>
>>318806774
>Read the fucking financial reports and shit from shareholders meetings. It's profitable. They were and still are making money on it. This is a fact.
YTD profit doesn't mean they've recouped total development costs

Imagine you have a jar of nickles and everything that you need to create the Wii U, including its games, and marketing it, not to mention the actual hardware to sell to each person, everything it costs is taken out of this jar. Just to get things started you're going to need to take a HUGE amount out of the jar. And in doing so, you hope that not only can you put hat huge amount back, but you can start adding more.

Nintendo might be slowly filling the jar with Wii U nickles, but they haven't covered the original dent yet, and at the current rate they never will by the time the system and its games are taken off shelves because they've moved on.

The Wii U is not profitable.
>>
>>318807739
>The Wii U is not profitable.
Incorrect.
>>
>>318807615
>looking at profit only in terms of per unit hardware costs
This is why you're a complete idiot.
>>
File: marioface.jpg (53 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
marioface.jpg
53 KB, 640x480
>>318793560
>The Wii U library is the best Nintendo console library in over a decade. Better than GC and much better than Wii.

>this much autism
>>
>>318807084
Are you 13 or something?
>>
File: 1448661729220.png (32 KB, 736x864) Image search: [Google]
1448661729220.png
32 KB, 736x864
Why isn't Nintendo dead yet? It's not fucking fair. 30 million was supposed to kill them!
>>
>>318808245
they are dead......
>>
>>318807739
>YTD profit doesn't mean they've recouped total development costs
>Nintendo might be slowly filling the jar with Wii U nickles, but they haven't covered the original dent yet
Do you have any sources on this? Like, actual numbers on the console's R&D costs?
>>
>>318807837
>>318807739
They have recouped R&D costs.
>>
>>318808245
>Why isn't Nintendo dead yet?
When the PS4 reaches 150million units and steals all the marketshare they will be. Nintendo is doing a good job of killing themselves.
>>
The wii u is seriously the worst major console in history. Before that it was the wii. Mega drive-Saturn-Dreamcast all have much better libraries than those 2 piles of shit.
>>
>>318808043
>>318807813
>>318808494

http://www.theverge.com/2015/5/7/8564303/nintendo-fy-2014-earnings
http://www.theverge.com/2014/5/7/5689878/nintendo-earnings-fy-2013
http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/24/4260062/nintendo-2012-earnings
http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/26/nintendo-annual-financials-2011/

Tell me what 207-457-366-459 is because I keep getting a negative number. Could it be that making huge losses for 3 years in a row almost entirely due to your failed home console could be detrimental to a company's profits? Could it be that it's going to take several more years of profits to even make up that dent?

Jesus fucking christ, you kids. You really need to get off the 4chans until you're 18.
>>
>>318808919
Can you not read?
>>
>>318809665
Your insistence on how incorrect I am is not going to change the fact that you are wrong.
>>
File: 1446222781550.jpg (47 KB, 383x504) Image search: [Google]
1446222781550.jpg
47 KB, 383x504
>>318793560
>The Wii U library is the best Nintendo console library in over a decade. Better than GC and much better than Wii.
>his only game is a level editor
>>
File: asfd3221125511352.jpg (22 KB, 633x368) Image search: [Google]
asfd3221125511352.jpg
22 KB, 633x368
>>318808919
The same logic is used to argue the Xbox, as a brand, has cost Microsoft over $3 billion. To contrast this, a 6 year hold who opens a lemonade stand and makes 5 dollars net profit will have made over 3 billion dollars more on his business venture than MS has with the Xbox.

You have to be mentally retarded to think the Wii U is doing anything but damaging Nintendo.
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.