[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question: How evil is a character allowed to be before they become
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
File: hk47.jpg (15 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
hk47.jpg
15 KB, 320x320
Question: How evil is a character allowed to be before they become 'edgy'?
>>
>>318784708
they can be as evil as they damn well please so long as they don't insist on wearing black trenchcoats
>>
>>318785679
That and they really dont need to be all about ''BLOOD, DARKNESS; CORRUPTION''
>>
trick question, as long as they kill tons of meatbags it's all good
>>
File: garland.png (1 MB, 1100x1100) Image search: [Google]
garland.png
1 MB, 1100x1100
"edgy" in the context you're using tends to refer to juvenile writing marketed as being original and cool

It has nothing to do with moral alignment.
>>
>>318785870
I've never seen the allure of that mindset. You ruin the world or destroy it or make it miserable and then what? They are not thinking ahead, not at all F to the LOORED from the outset
>>
>>318784708
hk47 is my husbando
>>
File: 19547542141.png (991 KB, 1280x674) Image search: [Google]
19547542141.png
991 KB, 1280x674
>>318784708
They can be as good or evil as they want as long as it's a personality quirk and not their central character feature.
>>
>>318786171

Because it's non-conformist and against the grain which is appealing to juvenile mindsets because in that state you're trying to "find yourself" and what matters to you. It also causes you to be overly dramatic for various reasons. Plus being generally unskilled and inexperienced causes any creative output to be shitty.

There's nothing wrong with thinking Sephiroth is cool when you're 15 or going through a chuuni phase. The problem is never growing out of it and only going deeper down the hole.
>>
>>318784708
>BBEG in TTRPG campaign is a 14 year old girl obsessed with turning everyone and everything into cute shit
>The world around her turns to candy and the people to teddy bears
>She refuses to share with anyone
>She kills anyone who tries to stop her by tearing them apart with mind blasts
You can be as evil as fuck as you want, but the second you start obsessing over doom, gloom, death, destruction, and other majorly "edgy" shit instead of just doing your job, you're a garbage edge-lord.
>>
>>318784708
I wish we still had characters like HK to look forward to from bioware.

I think an edgy charachters evill has to have a bit of a "teenagery" feel to it. Cynical in a simplistic way where you project very stupid concerns onto the world and turn them into negatives that reflect everything. Like the main character in Hatred or Marie in Foursona.
>>
>>318786589
I meant the actually villains themselves "i'll destroy the world"
fantastic mang but what next
>>
>>318786589
Being "non-conformist" is one thing but breaking everything thinking it's gonna be better is just...stupid
>>
>>318786727
>Like the main character in Hatred or Marie in Foursona.

To be fair the player character in Hatred is barely a character and Marie gets better.
>>
>>318784708

as long as they appear to be enjoy being evil and ham it up I think people like them more.
>>
>>318786101
Why is Garland so based?
>>
>>318784708

Luca Blight was evil incarnate. But he wasn't edgy.

Seymour was a joke and his only 'evil' act was being a tool of someone above him. He was still a whiny, edgy kid in a mans body.
>>
File: 1381991513560.jpg (356 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1381991513560.jpg
356 KB, 1280x720
>>318784708
"Edgy" and "Evil" are not the same concept imho.

An "Edgy" character does morally questionable actions for attention, for shock value, or because it's literally the sum total of their character.

An "Evil" character does morally questionable actions because from their point of view it's the "right" thing to do, or because they believe that it's necessary.

HK-47 is edgy (although comedically edgy so he gets a pass)

Canderous is "evil"

I also want to clarify that neither descriptor is inherently bad. Both edgy and evil characters can be well written or horribly written. Bad writers tend to overuse edgy characters and don't know how to make them actually interesting however.
>>
>>318786848
>thinking it's gonna be better

I don't think that's really the driving force. It's more like "the world is shit so burn it down" or just having a lust for power at any cost.

It's not a great motivation but when you have video game power levels that becomes a more logical conclusion for someone who's only motivation is selfishness.
>>
>>318784708
Answer: Droids are not limited to meaningless senses of morality, meatbag
>>
File: 1435699723977.gif (970 KB, 500x365) Image search: [Google]
1435699723977.gif
970 KB, 500x365
I think it lies in the character's motives.
Is he being evil for the sake of being evil or is there a real drive for it? Is there a purpose? The line is driven on the former for me.
>>
>>318787375

You'd have to define what you mean by "evil"

There's plenty of characters who would be considered evil on a D&D alignment but aren't "bad guys" in the least.

I'd actually argue that edginess comes more from dishonorable actions which doesn't have to do with the good-evil scale.
>>
>>318787375

It has to do with about a dozen different things. The problem is most writers only focus on one or two things. And even less in video game writing.

If the only development your antagonist has is a motive to hate/kill the protagonist, he'll be shallow no matter the medium. But video games get away with it because of flashy action scenes and less scrutiny in writing.
>>
File: Mieow-Rustle_cute.png (166 KB, 346x352) Image search: [Google]
Mieow-Rustle_cute.png
166 KB, 346x352
>>318787224
Smug Anime Face:You just do whatever you are programmed to do by meatbags, morality included.
>>
Performing evil acts because they have a legit reason and not being evil for evil's sake. Ex: villain burned down an orphanage because it housed potential enemies with extreme aptitude for magic as opposed to just burning kids for the lulz.
>>
>>318787213
a poor description of evil.Loghain did morally questionable things he thought were right, but wasn't an evil character.
Solidus did morally questionable things he thought were right, but wasn't an evil character.
Jacques De Aldesberg did morally questionable things he thought were right, but wasn't an evil character.
>>
As long as they're well written they can be as edgy as the writer wants them to be.
>>
>>318787923
To be fair, vidya production is expensive as fuck so you have to narrow down your scope.
>>
>>318788318
Well that gets into an argument about what "good" and "evil" actually are.

I dislike both because such concepts are relative but by most peoples standards Loghain would be considered "evil."

Honestly, I think writing with morality or ideology in mind instead of a characters motivations and personality is a really weak way to write.
>>
File: 1447958021719.jpg (50 KB, 883x613) Image search: [Google]
1447958021719.jpg
50 KB, 883x613
It's all about presentation. A highly charismatic villain, say Handsome Jack, can do the same things as Not Important from Hated with the same motivation but not come off as grimdark. Personality, presentation, motivation are the most important things when it comes to a villain not trying to hard, not really what they do.
>>
It's if I like the character or not.
If I don't like them and they're evil it's edgy.
If I enjoy the game they're in then there just fun evil.

hk is edgy as fuck, but I like him so hes not edgy.
>>
>>318787185
>name is Garland
>doesn't want to knock someone down
>>
>>318788513

No you don't. The creator of Suikoden wrote an amazing story on a budget smaller than a Castlevania game.

These other companies spending 100-300 million to make a game having a worse story than a low budget RPG is just sad. Its about shifting your focus. And gaming companies put more focus on the graphics and QTEs as long as that's what sells more units.
>>
>>318789338
I was mostly referring to stuff like OP. If you limit yourself to Undertale tier shit, then yeah you can probably widen your scope a little.

>suikoden
>amazing story

lol. Go home, McDohl.
>>
>>318789675

You limiting your comment only to AAA games doesn't change what I said. AAA games have even more resources yet focus them on the wrong things. They could have good stories, but don't.

>suikoden sucks

Well now I just think you don't like anything. Which since we're on /v/ sounds pretty normal.
>>
>>318784708
HK gets a pass because he's a droid. Someone made him that way.

He is edgy, but he was programmed to be edgy.
>>
>>318789867
I fucking love Suikoden series. Even 3. But it doesn't have an "amazing story". Come on, kinsman.
>>
>>318786826
I've always thought this. Whats the plan after destroying the world?

Stuff like this only works when people want to cleanse the world and start from scratch with a few survivors.
>>
>>318790120

For a game, it has quite a well developed and detailed story. I'm not going to claim its comparable to Les Miserables, but its still near the top of the list for a video game.
>>
>>318784708

Statement: 'Bout three fiddy
>>
>>318790369
I liked what Owlman tried to do in that DC movie about the multiverse.
>>
>>318788963
I appreciate this reference, Anon
>>
So basically you can be crazy as you want just don't act like an emo? Sounds easy enough
>>
>>318784708
Thats not what edgy means. If you are old fashioned evil, you are not edgy.
To be edgy is to be ahead of time, to be weird because you are making your own fashion or attitude or some such.

Cutting edge. Edgy. Not evil.
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.