[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so in the end, was it good?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8
so in the end, was it good?
>>
>>318780597
It's better than Witcher 3, but it's still bad.
Admit it, Witcher 3 is awful compared to Witcher 2
>>
I liked the stuff involving Morrigan and the Eleven gods.

I don't care for the direction they're taking things in regard to gameplay.
>>
I liked parts of it, Iron Bull might be my favorite companion in the series, but the main plotline really shat the bed

surprisingly enough I liked the combat well enough
>>
the trespasser dlc with the lore dumps from Solas at the end made it god tier, the elvhen lore is the best part of DA lore
>>
>>318780809
> I don't like Morrigan
Well fuck you then
>>
>>318780793
>bioware writing
>all that pandering
>shit characters
>boring repetitive quests
yeah naw you're a cunt
>>
>>318781286
>75% of all quests are using AC vision to follow a light trail
>CIS: Not-medievial Poland edition
come on lad
>>
Copypasta'd from the thread from an hour ago

Improvements
>Combat is less shit
>Story isn't as terrible as DA:II
>Companions are mostly enjoyable
>Dragon fights are actually fun, unlike Skyrim

Steps Back
>Combat is still kind of shit
>MMO-inspired gameplay with none of the actual benefits of being an MMO
>Aside from main quests, everything else is padding
>Diversity pandering breaks some internal consistency of the setting: "The Qun decides who/what you are" literally one conversation later becomes "If you say you're a man, you're a man in Qun culture"
>>
>>318781286
Story and characters shit in both W3 & DA3.
Combat, lore, levels, fucking crafting and everything else is better in DA3.
Music is good in both.
>>
>>318781420
palying it like a casual is no one else's fault but yours
>CIS
come on son...
>>
>>318781782
Oh wow it's CSI actually

Okay you win this one, but I'll be back next time and I won't fuck up then
>>
Better than bloodborne but worse than witcher 3
>>
>>318780597
It was ok. There was a shit load of filler content and if you were good enough to beat the dwarf sidequest early, you trivialized the rest of the game.

I didn't realize it was a sidequest so I did it early and I never found better equipment anywhere in the game even up the the final boss.

The game is also extremely easy thanks to barrier. I almost never died except when accidently took on a dragon 15 levels above me before I was a knight enchanter.

Mana management is shit now. They changed it to a CD timer instead of actual mana.

Overall, not bad but it's a good thing it came out before Witcher 3 because W3 made DA:I look like it was designed by kids with crayons.

Also, there's definitely some SJW bullshit in the game but it's not nearly as bad as it was made out to be by everyone. Still highly unnecessary and didn't bring anything to the game.
>>
File: 1322733395490.jpg (23 KB, 780x178) Image search: [Google]
1322733395490.jpg
23 KB, 780x178
oh right biodrones lurk heavy
>>
>>318781286
Like know exactly you can do better jackass
>>
>>318782261
Which side quest do you mean by the dwarf one? My memory is fuzzy.

I thought Cisquisition was pretty good honestly. The companions disregarding Sera were all bearable and even likable. The combat was a step above 2 though still sometimes a slog, and not really meaty despite them clearly wanting it to be. The quests that bothered to have plot were good though there were a LOT of filler nothing quests. Mounts were dogshit, never used them. Liked customizing Skyhold but even at the end of the game there were still rooms full of cobwebs and broken shit. Animations were bad but the voice work was good. Josephine was top tier waifu once you got a mod for her face. Corypheus didn't make for a very compelling villain though, he barely showed up in the plot and you never really got a sense of him as a credible threat or an active one.

DLCs were great, and I'm happy to see the franchise far away from Gayder and Hamburger Hepler
>>
The only Dragon age I haven't completed as it was boring as fuck.
>>
File: 1332139936709.jpg (72 KB, 990x681) Image search: [Google]
1332139936709.jpg
72 KB, 990x681
>>318780597
I've installed it about 6 times on my PC to try and finish it and I just can't.. I get so bored about halfway in my brain just gives up.
>>
>>318780597
Yeah it's alright if you don't fall into the trap of doing all the MMO padding shit. There's no reason at all to do any of it. If you ignore it then you'll have an alright time with the game.
>>
The mmo-style of the game really broke enjoyment. Playing it is a slog. The Lore's okay, Elven god stuff was interesting (I'm personally cautiously hype to see how Bioware handles the elves in DA4), but all in all, too much of the game was unneeded OPEN WORLD EXPLORATION, when DA Origins did Fine having smaller, more practical maps.

While the pacing was a clusterfuck, I enjoyed the smaller, more intimate setting and cast of characters for DA2, and the Origin stories for Origins, and hope maybe we'll see something more finely tuned for DA4.

If we get DA4, what'd you guys want to see?
>>
>>318784757
the fucking warden back
>>
>>318780597
I got pretty sleepy while playing it. Boring af desu senpai
>>
>>318784757
I don't wanna se another. Two failures in a row is enough.
>>
>>318785045
You know Bioware, they won't ever bring the HoF back. Little hints, but it'd be hard to implement him/her returning. You'd have to voice the fucker, and for some people, that means grabbing Commander Shepard to voice a shitton of stuff, since he's an available voice set for the Warden, and that'd seem kinda surreal

Warden senses tingling!
>>
>>318785217
Such an interesting setting with loads of potential, basic as it is. Sucks it got shit on while ME got all the good attention.
>>
>>318783015
I can't remember the name but you go down into the depths with two dwarves and then some faggot dwarf magic happens and nothing is really explained.
>>
>>318783015
I think he was a pretty credible threat when he rapes your home but after that he kind of drops off but it's also implied that he drops off because you've begun to rape him harder than he can handle.

Sera was the fucking worst. If I ever play it again, I'm not letting that dumb whore join.
>>
>>318781732
Inquisition has the worst combat in the series man. Origins did it best.

Everything else on your list is pretty spot on though.
>>
>>318785493
it's their own fault for trying to reinvent the series' narrative each time, while at the same time making piecemeal advancements to an action/rpg hybrid but only going far enough to end up at an unhappy middle.

i honestly have to agree with >>318785217
, it would be better to start over on something else, nothing in the dragon age universe is so unique that it couldn't be replaced by any forgotten realms style fantasy. the few things that were interesting and had a bit of flavor were either overexplained (black city, fade) or dropped entirely (architect)
>>
>>318780793
but more effort into it next time
>>
>>318780597
lmao no, only dragon age origins was good
>>
>>318780597
On it's own, eh. Worse than Origins in every way but graphics desu.
>>
>No more side quests with some sense of story to them
>No more choices for RPing or getting to know your cast of characters
>No more Mural/Fresco Cinematics (Seriously great part of Origins Opening cinematic and DA2/s hop between acts, very atmospheric)
>No Inon Zur
>WEEKES

They didn't even keep the color scheme shared between the other games. Not to mention they missed so many narrative key points of the setting. Val Royeaux has a huge ass Alienage, there's a plot line about the heir to the Throne of Orlais, and you can visit Val Royaeux...And you don't even get to explore that part of town? Get your shit together Bioware.
>>
>>318782261
Basically this. Game is maybe 12 hours long once you cut out all the filler you need to do to unlock story missions. Also, all zones you unlock just look different and you'll still be doing the same nonsensical checklist bullshit.
>>
>>318780597
8/10 imo, pretty good.

Not nearly as good as Witcher 3. But it was still a good game.
>>
>>318784757
>(I'm personally cautiously hype to see how Bioware handles the elves in DA4

Probably by forgetting it ever happened because then you wouldn't be able to play as an Elf. And because that's pretty much what they always do when they write themselves into a corner.
>>
File: DA_filthy mongrels.jpg (15 KB, 252x269) Image search: [Google]
DA_filthy mongrels.jpg
15 KB, 252x269
>>318785045
We can only hope, but I think the whole Blight thing is over and has been since the first game. Both subsequent games only feature the Blight and Darkspawn as a background element.
>>
It was ok. Warriors were kind of bland with barely any variation in movesets for weapons. Rogues are fun, dagger rogue means you need to focus on positioning to deal the most amount of damage, so that keeps you engaged. Mages are very limited though KE is almost game-breakingly OP. It's a fun game, but I got it last year and I still haven't gotten around to finishing it.
>>
>>318780597
there were no better games to play when it came out so it was okay
>>
>>318786175
If it means anything Gaider has been removed from Dragon Age franchise to work on something new. So whoever is put in charge of the writing in DA4 could decide the course of the game anew.
>>
File: DAI_W3_editions.jpg (705 KB, 2254x1316) Image search: [Google]
DAI_W3_editions.jpg
705 KB, 2254x1316
>>318786993
Like someone said in a previous thread Bioware was lucky as fuck they released DAI in 2014 instead of 2015 because it would've been eaten alive by Witcher 3. This way you at least can't make direct comparisons for GOTY awards.
>>
>>318786995
>giving the narrative a new direction again
3rd times the charm! this time it's definitely gonna solve our writing problems and not introduce more!
>>
>>318780793

>you

Trolling used to mean something in my day
>>
>>318780793
Nah. If anything W2 is the weakest of the trilogy.
>>
No, it was fucking terrible.
>>
>>318787726
This tbqh famiglia
>>
>>318786595
>Get your shit together Bioware.
They can't. Bioware is just a brand at this point. There's no actual talent there to put things on track.

This is an acurrate representation of Bioware/EA making a game:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANXGJe6i3G8
>>
File: 1448378988053.jpg (63 KB, 571x572) Image search: [Google]
1448378988053.jpg
63 KB, 571x572
>>318780597
I didnt like they moved the focus from Templar/Mage conflict and Old Gods to lolElven shits
>>
>>318780597
Worst MMO I've ever played and MMOs are already shit
>>
>>318788016
Maybe if the Templar/Mage thing wasn't handled so poorly, maybe it'd be interesting

Seriously, the setting establishes at the very start of the first game that mages are dangerous little shits. Be it willing or unwilling. It always feels as though Bioware tried to pull the 'poor oppressed mages thing' but it doesn't work when you are a person capable of bending reality to your will.

Don't get me started on how Meredith had potential as a great antagonist. Read her backstory in the World of Thedas thing, she coulda had such potential.

But nah

Red Lyrium m8
>>
>>318780597
People forgot it even existed until just a couple weeks ago when discussion over the Video Game Awards started up and everyone had to be reminded it won GOTY.
>>
>>318788568
It's because Bioware is stuck in their old "choose between A and B" game design. DAI was the perfect chance to let you actually wipe the slate clean as the new Inquisitor and say fuck you to both Mages and Templars, possibly getting them both to work together or a third option. But no because then Corry couldn't get the other side you didn't choose.
>>
>>318780597
I have 4 hours on this

Never played it again

It's not particularly bad but it's not what I'd call fun either. It's just enough to keep me from closing it. Pretty average. I stopped playing because I had more fun stuff to play, and then never touched it again.
>>
Just a reminder that this was given GOTY last year

No idea why anyone even bothers giving these awards their viewership.
>>
The combat was improved from spam the awesome button. Tactics still are useless and only rarely do you need to position your party and it's usually just against a boss fight where you have you're choice range walk and shoot to avoid one hit kills.

the companion interaction is still the same I like you I don't like you dialogue wheel. They tried to hide it poorly by throwing in I like what you like I don't like what you like before you get to it but it's still the same routine.

The world was greatly improved with size and scale but it's repetitive as fuck with respawning enemies that never change.

The player character has been developed as well, not just with race selection but giving quite a few unique dialogue choices based on your characters race and class. That said major decisions don't matter at all depending on your race or class. As for the dialogue it's the same I'll let you go or I'll kill you for major decisions. That said they did give you a reason beyond I'm good or evil. If you kill them you get their gear, if you spare them you get an agent. The agent is pointless to the game story but it helps with war table grind times.

the story is still very very bland. Ancient evil awakens and wants to rule the world. Stop him. The side stories are typical religion vs mages and variations of that. Plenty of fed ex quests for filler. A few clear out the dungeon/castle filler quests.
>>
>>318780793
You're literally bringing up two games completely irrelevant in any fucking way just to be argumentative.
>>
>>318789293
Inquisitor was less compelling than the HoF. HoF, you had Origin stories, and the origins always tied back into the main story ( Dwarf Noble, Human Noble, and City elf were the best Origins, partially because it gave a reason for your character and by extension you to be invested a bit in the story. Killing Howe was very satisfying as Human Noble and City elf), and doesn't have the charm that Hawke had (Purple Hawke is so stupidly sarcastic, it hurts, but it made him a great character in his own right)

Quiznoes is just a cardboard cutout. There's nothing about your race that ties so intimately into the story, past some dialogue choices.
>>
File: a thread of trolls.jpg (63 KB, 290x441) Image search: [Google]
a thread of trolls.jpg
63 KB, 290x441
>>318787485
anon, that word doesnt exist anymore

all the immigrants replaced it with "shitposting"
>>
Well

honestly its pretty good

the gameplay is better, and the encounter design is loads above 2, but its still pretty shit.

you have to play on nightmare to have any fun

the busywork is annoying but the payoff for it is awesome

lots to do and see, the quests are all pretty good enough

main story is shit, the actual missions are awesome

needed moar time the cooker, lots of annoying visual bugs etc

I got over Sera because if you put Vivienne and Dorian in your party they fucking verbally spitroast her constantly and its fucking hilarious

>sera getting upset and telling vivienne that nobody wants to be a noble, deep down
>dorian and Vivienne just laugh at her
>>
>>318789932
Inq has a few times race matters. I've only played elf partway through and Qunari full. It seems to matter mostly to companions though. Bull gets uneasy when you talk Qun with him. Or if you go tal vashoth he gets butt blasted. As for the elf Sera hates you for being an elf because she hates her own race for some reason. I never cared about her enough to figure out why by grinding her I love you points high enough. Solas is in love with you unless you role play as the Dalish you are.

As for the main story I know that people react negatively to the inq with you as a non human leader. And during the save the queen quest everyone treated my qun as some knuckle dragging ape when i first showed up. Though it was stupid easy for them to like me. There's a few more here and there of minor note.

Not as major as origins for sure, but a few touches here and there to remind you that the game paid attention to your race.

Haven't tried Dwarf or human yet.
>>
>>318786139
Origins has many large leftover issues from Never Winter Nights.
Even if the setup for combat is vastly superior, since it scales a lot better.
>>
I liked it alright, even the fetch-questy stuff. Story was decent, ending felt rushed. Some SJW pandering was irritating, Iron Bull describing some genderfluid dyke being one of the most obvious offenders.
>>
>Origins
Have to make a pact with a demon to learn blood magic and sacrifice a child to possession to learn it

>DAII
You get it for no reason at all and no one cares or comments about you using it including your noble justice friends

>Inquisition
"Well we need it to have impact unlike 2, but it's really complicated to give impact so I guess we'll just replace it with necromancy a weird creepy but not evil magic so no one cares if you use it."
>>
>>318780597
It was an alright rpg if you are fine with a ton of grinding and filler.
>>
>>318793034
Da2 had potential. Loads of it, just poorly executed and rushed

Inquisition had none.
>>
I think I found the issue with the mage-templar conflict.
It's not that the mages didn't have right points in this, it was that it weren't the ones the promoted. They were too fucking whiny. Which doesn't fit when you're capable of nuking towns.
Mages should have been "I don't care about your rules, I don't care about what might happen, I am my own person, I live as wish, you don't get to cage me before I do something wrong" and leave it that that.
They'd still be arguments for or against that, but it wouldn't be so pathetic. Mages were too freaking emo in this and so were the templars.

Just think of what they both become when they're pushed to hard. Wrist-slitters and junkies.

Losers.
Loooooooooooooosers.

It's as if bioware thinks whoever has the sappiest sob story in a dilemma is the one who's right (women and faggots).

Both sides, especially the mages, dear lord all that whining, should have supported their cases more proudly and valiantly, with their heads up high instead of that constant soap opera and tantrums.
I'm looking at you mage-end-da2-orsino.
>>
dragon age 2 was such a bad game i said "this is the most impressive antipiracy i've ever seen, i am not even going to pirate dragon age 3"
and then i didn't pirate dragon age 3
i obviously didn't buy it either
didn't watch people criticize it on youtube
anything

this is a blogpost
please subscribe
>>
>>318793034
Necromancy was in Dragon Age Origins
>>
>>318793513
The only potential I saw or cared for was Hawkes character arc. I liked the more intimate idea of the player working in the slums and rising to prominence over the years. Unlike Origins and Inquisition where you become leader of your movement by surviving. Even the more seasoned representative of your order becomes your bitch, Alistair and Casandra. I liked in 2 how no one cared about you or respected you until you worked your way up and earned your position of power. Even Meredith respected you enough to not go full on nazi on you as a mage or your mage companions.

I liked the smaller family setting. You had a mother a brother/sister, and a funny drunk uncle. Each one had an impact on the story. Also named my dog after my uncle since he hated it. Everything else was pretty bad. Repeat dungeons and encounters. They even poke fun of it when Hawked is fighting that elf spider thing twice and he/she says "Wait I already killed you once...well i guess I'll do it again"
>>
>>318794013
I know. I'm just commenting on how they used it in inquisition as the creepy step child of magic to replace blood magic.

Even in origins lore wise it was still the step child of magic. But they still had blood magic if you wanted it.

Basically I was upset I couldn't use it in inquisition.
>>
>>318793528
Morrigan's arguments with Wynne sorta expressed that view

>you need look no further than the elves for an example of what occurs when you allow others to hold your leash.

But yeah it really became pure sob story later in the series
>>
File: W1 final.png (3 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
W1 final.png
3 MB, 1920x1080
>>318787726
T H I S
>>
>>318794585
Exactly. Morrigan was a good way of making a non-templar dog mage character. Awakening anders too.
But after that, it went too shit.
>>
No, it sucked. They completely put aside narration and gameplay to pander to tumblr fanbase.
It's shit and I'm mad because I was hyped for it.
>>
The parts that matter are good like the main quest, but there's so much padding that even the maps themselves are padding. There's always a huge fucking mountain you can't climb with an objective right on top of it and the only way to get there is through a small barely visible path that you spend 20 minutes lookin for.
>>
This game beat bayo 2, dong freeze and dark souls 2. It will forever sit in the archives of the internet as 2014 game of the year
>>
>>318796272
>the archives of the internet
Yes. And?
>>
>>318794772
Making so much of inquisition revolve around Orlesian nobility was a perfect chance to include some aristocratic mages who used their family's money and clout to study privately. Tie in the Mage's Collective and presto, all the morally upstanding and philosophically active apostates you could want. It's only natural that the two extremes of society (hermits like Morrigan being the other) would be where people are less hindered by the philosophical and physical influence of the church

what a shame
>>
Played it, enjoyed it and will never play it again. Not as good as origins.
>>
>>318781732
>MMO-inspired gameplay with none of the actual benefits of being an MMO

I fail to see what those "benefits" are. Paying $15 a month to grind for bullshit with insufferable faggots?
>>
>>318780597
Certainly, its a fine game all memes aside.
But it still made me cry, because it made me remember that bioware will never make a game as good as DA Origins ever again.
>>
>>318780597

It was certainly alot better than what people were acting it was going to be.

Before release threads were jampacked full of shit posts and false flags.

Some were crying how it was going to be worse than DA:2 somehow.
Others were crying about how SJW it was going to be.

EVERYONE was shitting on how ugly Sera and everyone is.

It's definitely not a GOOD game imo, but it's not a bad one and it's not the apocalypse many were making it out to be.
>>
>>318780597
Started of well, then it went downhill _fast_. 90% of the game was MMO grind, 10% was weaksauce SJW ridden plot that ended abruptly on "we ran out of idea, here is end boss, kknpthx".

4/10, would not reinstall.
>>
I got bored fairly fast, never got much done. my mate completed it and said it was a bit shit compared to 1, better than 2
>>
I liked it, probably one of the few games that i completed in the past 2 years.
inb4 shit taste
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.