[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Never played Chrono Trigger before. Is the DS version good? Or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5
File: ChronoTriggerDSBox.jpg (99 KB, 500x448) Image search: [Google]
ChronoTriggerDSBox.jpg
99 KB, 500x448
Never played Chrono Trigger before. Is the DS version good? Or would it be better to emulate the SNES version on a psp? I have the snes cart I just feel like playing it on the go
>>
DS version is the best. Extra shit and the cutscenes of the PS1 port without the loading times.

God damn I love me some Chrono Trigger.
>>
>>318769826
DS version is good, one of the added dungeons is repetitive bullshit that's not worth the effort though.
>>
>>318769959
>>318769971
Alright thanks guys. I'll order that shit right now
>>
>>318770227
>order
>he didn't order it on Thanksgiving for $6 on Square's store
>>
SNES version is best. No shitty stupid cutscenes that actually take away from the impact of most scenes (Like Frog wielding the Masamune for the first time) and the extra shit is completely forgettable.
>>
>>318770408
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
>>
>>318769826
I tried to emulate the DS version but it comes with a terrible anti-piracy measure in the form of being trapped in the fair at the beginning. If you try to go out from the fair the game crashes by it self.

At least I completed the SNES version.
>>
Shit I got conflicting answers here. Which one do I play for my first time?
>>
Play the DS version. It's a good port. The extra content is optional, it doesn't make the game any worse
>>
>>318769826

>Trigger

fucking dropped. take that SJW-pandering shit elsewhere
>>
>>318769826
You shouldn't play it at all unless you think that combat that requires zero thought is engaging and like shallow shounen-tier characters that don't develop. You aren't even blinded by nostalgia like 90% of CT fans so there's literally no reason to play it in 2015.
>>
>>318770724
I played the DS version first and it was a fine experience.

I keep hearing that the SNES version had better sound, but I was still blown away by the OST even on the DS version, so who knows what audiophile was saying that.
>>
>>318770938
>you can only like it with nostalgia goggles
You're a fucking moron.
I played it for the first time like a year ago and thought it was a great game. It's easy yeah, but the story was pretty good.
It's not the godsend like hardcore CTfags make it out to be, but saying it's not worth playing at all is just as retarded.
Being an extremist on either side is dumb and you're just as bad as the CTfanboys.
>>
>>318770635

If you're using an R4 there's probably a code on it that will bypass the anti-piracy measure. just have to activate it. If not, download an updated code file from somewhere.
>>
>>318770938
I've heard so many good things about it. I need to play it through at least once.
>>
>>318770635

I don't know how long ago/what emu you used, but at least as of a couple years ago, that wasn't a problem for me using desmume(same's been true of some other games with stupid anti-piracy shit, like endless frontier exceed).
>>
>>318771215
I'll do it... as soon as I remember where my DS is.
>>
I hate DS emulation, the screens are so small
>>
>>318771317
R4
>>
>>318769826
The DS version is the definitive version of CT
>>
>>318769826
The only shitty part of the port is lack of based mode 7.
>>
>>318770914
kek
>>
>>318771162
>I played it for the first time like a year ago and thought it was a great game
I said 90% so you must be in the 10%.
You just have shit taste.

>>318771243
It's not that different from your average jrpg. The praise is just from nostalgia fags.
>>
>>318771932
I'm totally down for an average jrpg. That's exactly what I need right now.
>>
>>318771932
>game that isn't AAA garbage critically acclaimed to be one of the best of its genre
>Nah dude, you're all wrong, my OPINION is the only fact
You really are retarded.
>>
File: 1394834111473.jpg (32 KB, 433x380) Image search: [Google]
1394834111473.jpg
32 KB, 433x380
>>318769826
>I have the snes cart
>Never played Chrono Trigger before.
You are confusing me. You're saying you bothered to hunt down a legit CT cartridge, which is not cheap, or have had one from launch back when they cost the same as any other game, and you haven't actually played it? Or did you mean to say you have the snes *ROM*?

Anyway, play the DS version. New, improved translation, animated cutscenes from the PlayStation version without the load times and soundtrack issues. It's the best.
>>
>>318772037
>Falling and responding to such blatant shitposting
No anon, youre a retard
>>
>>318772101
I found it at a yard sale for 5 dollars a long time ago. I don't have a lot of time on my hands to sit down and play an rpg. That's why I want to play it on the go.
>>
PSP is horrible at SNES emulation. I know this from experience.
>>
>>318771989

Don't listen to him, the game is a masterpiece and it was literally crafted by a Dream Team the likes of which will never be seen again. It will go down into the annals of history as the greatest RPG of all time. Unlike Undertale, people will still be talking about Chrono Trigger a century from now.
>>
>>318769826

DS version is slightly better than the rest. But any version is fine as long as it's not the PS1 version.
>>
>>318772037

not like it was released and unexpectedly highly praised the game was hyped as the biggest thing ever before it was even released

a collaboration of the biggest rpg franchises at the time, Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, and other square staffers that had worked on secret of mana / SaGa
>>
>>318770914
lol
>>
>>318772037
>>game that isn't AAA garbage critically acclaimed to be one of the best of its genre
Chrono Trigger sold a bunch and had alot of money put into so I don't know how it's that different from a AAA game. It's made for the lowest common denominator like AAA games too.
>>
that said the characters are flat and it's a pain re-entering areas because the fights are all forced in particular locations. fortunately the game is totally linear if knowing exactly where to go
>>
>>318770429
You can turn those off in the DS version.
>>
>>318769826
Cross is better
>>
>>318772949
Should I turn them off in my first playthrough?
>>
>>318773063
No
>>
>>318773063

they're awkward honestly, hamfisted in particular scenes which play out normally anyway after the fmv ends
>>
>>318772342
>It will go down into the annals of history as the greatest RPG of all time.

For doing what? Being a simplistic game for children that nostalgia fags can't let go of?
>>
>>318773063
No, they're fine.
>>
Played both, ds version is best. The only reason people shit on the ds versions and the (pretty good) cutscenes is

>muh woolsey
>>
>>318773235
K I L L Y O U R S E L F K I D
>>
>>318773235
Would you be so kind as to recommend an alternative then, mister shitposter-who-only-plays-the-most-intelligently-crafted-children's-entertainment?
>>
>>318770724
The DS version seems better, because it's the new version, and has all these little bells and whistles attached. But I'll be honest, the SNES edges out the DS, if only slightly. And here's why:
The cutscenes are very short, with no spoken dialog. They don't really add anything to the game. And like another anon mentioned, a cutscene actually dampens what would otherwise be a hyped moment.

The SNES screen resolution is 256×224. The DS resolution is 256×192. So the screen is always slightly cut off vertically.

The DS allows you to put the battle menus on the bottom screen, freeing up the top screen. But the game was originally made with the menu in mind. So everything is framed as if the menu was there. Meaning that the screen is oddly empty in the DS version.

The script was rewritten to be a more literal translation. However, the changes are really superficial. The original translation didn't leave out any important context. Plus, the original translation has more heart, in my opinion. Because they actually localized it to fit western sensibilities without diminishing the message or context. It's really how localization should be done.

The bonus dungeon in the DS version is trrrrrash. repetative, fetch quest grind. Skip it all together.

The SNES version's music is slightly better quality as well. Not that the DS version has bad quality. But it's kind of like the difference of hearing music played on a recording, vs hearing music live. The SNES sound chip is playing the music. While the DS sounds like it's playing a recording of the music.

tl;dr, the DS additions aren't worth it. The music and translation on the SNES version are slightly better. Go with the SNES version.
>>
>>318773349
I'm not a kid. If I was, I would probably think that Chrono Trigger is a good game.
>>
>>318773645

every other JRPG that came after it
>>
>>318773645
Any rpg that offers choices or has good writing or has gameplay that actual requires thought. Chrono Trigger lacks all of these so I guess a lot of rpgs would be more fitting for best rpg.
>>
>>318774817
>Any rpg that offers choices or has good writing or has gameplay that actual requires thought

so no game ever made then
>>
>>318769826
emulate it on psp.
CT is one of the comfiest games ever made. don't miss out on the experience.
>>
File: 1374694206473.jpg (9 KB, 385x295) Image search: [Google]
1374694206473.jpg
9 KB, 385x295
>>318773665
>Plus, the original translation has more heart, in my opinion. Because they actually localized it to fit western sensibilities without diminishing the message or context. It's really how localization should be done.
The DS localization also did all of those things admirably, while also being a more accurate translation. The changes ARE superficial. But the end result is still an improvement.
Also, I believe the DS version's music was done with the DS soundchip carefully imitating the sounds of the SNES as closely as possible. So it's not really a recording, but a separate live performance with slightly different instruments that aims to capture the original's style. And they did a stellar job.
>>
>>318773665
>And like another anon mentioned, a cutscene actually dampens what would otherwise be a hyped moment.
>Plus, the original translation has more heart, in my opinion.
>But it's kind of like the difference of hearing music played on a recording, vs hearing music live. The SNES sound chip is playing the music. While the DS sounds like it's playing a recording of the music.
I can't believe there are people this fucked up that present their opinions as well thought out and reasonable.

>the cutscenes are negatives
>muh olde english frog
>live music is of higher quality that studio produced stuff

Ignore this idiot and just play the DS
>>
>>318775091
> not being able to read

sasuga CTfag
>>
I ordered a copy during the Square Enix sale. Should be in the mail today.
>>
File: 1436824248541.jpg (42 KB, 500x667) Image search: [Google]
1436824248541.jpg
42 KB, 500x667
>Lost Sanctum
>>
>>318774817
What kind of choices are you talking about, and what constitutes "good writing" or fight mechanics that require thought? Some examples are necessary here, shitpost-kun
>>
>>318773665
>The DS version has a lower vertical resolution, so you see less!
>the horizontal bars on the top and bottom are gone, so you see too much!

...wait a fuckin' second...
>>
>>318776908
I have to explain what are good rpgs too? Since you're ignorant of the genre I'll give some examples of games that far exceed Chrono Trigger in these elements.
Fallout, Metal Max and the (early) Atelier games offer choices.

Mask of the Betrayer, Nier, and Lunar have good writing

The Last Remnant, BoF 5, SMT 3, and Baiten Kaitos Origins have gameplay that requires atleast some thought.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.