[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It just dawned on me how hellish it would be existing as a goomba.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: CY91a.png (397 KB, 664x600) Image search: [Google]
CY91a.png
397 KB, 664x600
It just dawned on me how hellish it would be existing as a goomba.
>>
File: 150px-Goombario.jpg (8 KB, 150x176) Image search: [Google]
150px-Goombario.jpg
8 KB, 150x176
sup
>>
Goombas can do all of the following:

>Run/Charge
>Jump(sometimes, and not very well)
>Get killed very easily(even kill themselves)

Why do they even live? They don't even have arms or actual bodies!
>>
>>318735736
He trained his ass off every day of his life to be half as competent as Mario
Goombario is an inspiration
>>
File: concentration_camp.jpg (215 KB, 600x502) Image search: [Google]
concentration_camp.jpg
215 KB, 600x502
Was just playing this game because Target had a black friday deal for $15. It reminded me of an interview with Team Meat. Back in 2011 after Super Meat Boy was a hit they were asked what led to the decision to use infinite lives. Either Edmund or Tommy, can't remember which, went on a bit of a rant about modern game design. He said something like "What's even the point of coins in video games anymore? Coins give you lives but if you have infinite continues then what is the point? Nintendo should condense the mechanics down to the essentials. That's good design." Then the very next year Nintendo releases NSMB2: Coin Fucking Overload edition.
>>
>>318735989
They also have some form of psychic powers (Mario Baseball) and have the potential for encyclopedic knowledge on things (Paper Mario)
>>
>>318737302
>"What's even the point of coins in video games anymore? Coins give you lives but if you have infinite continues then what is the point? Nintendo should condense the mechanics down to the essentials. That's good design."
For a video-game developer, it's kind of surprising he'd say something like that. Coins in Mario have a purpose beyond giving the player extra lives. Nintendo have always been very skilled at making the mundane feel rewarding; it just feels nice to run into a line of coins, collect them all and hear the little beeps when you do. It also adds a level of visual flair that helps break up the level a little bit. Since players are more likely to go out of their way to grab coins (because it feels good), developers can position coins in such a way that influences the way in which players will control Mario -- you can use coins to lead players to hidden secrets, alternate pathways, or position them in ways that encourage more complicated platforming and reward players for successfully pulling it off.
>>
Apparently Toads and Goomba both evolved from from the same species. One diverged to be good (toad) and the other to serve the koopas (goomba).

Not unlike how Vulcans and Romulans from star trek both diverged from the same race over time. (according to a TNG episode)
>>
>>318738263
Not the guy you're replying to and while you're right (coins are great for marking jumps and secrets as well as giving the player something to do while otherwise aimlessly moving towards the level exit)) NSMB2 obsession with coins is a fucking atrocity. There's absolutely no joy in collecting coins when they are constantly thrown in your face and every other secret area is just set up to have you stay idle and get showered in coins.
>>
>>318738263
I think it's more or less just a staple + visual hints in addition to having coins for the sake of coins.

At least they added those larger hidden coins that have some value within the game for unlocking shit in the NSMB series.
>>
>>318737302
There was a realistic chance of running out of lives in SMB3 which would kick you back to the start of the world.

Its not a true game over, but its still punishment.
Coins are fine.
What NSMB2 did with the coins was silly. Feels like there shouldve been another mechanic attached to the coins that was lacking, like a shop or something.
>>
>>318745072
>What NSMB2 did with the coins was silly. Feels like there should've been another mechanic attached to the coins that was lacking, like a shop or something.
This totally. The game itself isn't that bad. Just invent a JewBowser who has bought all the land and charges you an extortionate amount of coins to buy a land from him.
10.000 coins gave you a 1up.
A JewMushroom to buy PowerUps and other neat shit would've helped too.
>>
>>318736412
he's like 12, so yeah, pretty good
>>
They're the lowest form of enemy imaginable. Absolute weenies.

But watch out when they're jumpin' 'round in those shoes.
>>
I expected to get bored of this game quickly, but I kinda enjoyed it, actually.

And I still haven't found all the secrets. How the fuck do I get to that airship on world 5?
>>
Reminder that the new super mario ds and 3dss boxes are yellow because the famicom game was in a yellow box.

Reminder that they released Super Mario Maker in a sideways yellow box for Japan.

Reminder that America got a red box because NoA is shit.
>>
>>318746995
Regional differences you fucking dope.

Or are you insinuating we should have gotten the Famicom callbacks too? When there main demographic doesn't even know who made Mario in the first place?

God.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.