[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If you use any of these words to describe games, you are probably
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7
If you use any of these words to describe games, you are probably cancer.
>>
>>318734201
>probably
You're supposed to say "You are cancer" because now you leave room for doubt
>>
>>318734201
Kek visceral. Do people really use this word that much? Only times I've ever seen it is in my anatomy and physiology textbooks.
>>
Fallout 4's visceral immersion and amazing gameplay really add to its replayability. it's a lot of fun!
>>
>>318735223
It's a marketing/journofag buzzword.
>>
video game critics are the worst. at least movie reviewers tend to have distinct style
>>
Jesus fucking christ this website is the worst. You people are the fucking cancer.
>>
>gameplay
>replayability

Mechanics, replay value
Is that better?
>>
But the parry attacks in bloodborne are called visceral attacks. Am I not allowed to call them that anymore?
>>
File: 1421281143856.png (378 KB, 426x581) Image search: [Google]
1421281143856.png
378 KB, 426x581
>>318734201
What else would you use to mention how a game plays?
>>
Undertale's visceral immersion increases its replayability gameplay.
>>
>>318734201
>Replayability
>Gameplay

Fucking what?
VNs have practically no gameplay. They do have replayability due to various routes though.

These are both valid terms. Are you fucking retarded m8.
>>
>>318734201
except for visceral you are wrong.
>>
/v/ language
"fun"
"comfy"
"shit"
"meme"
>>
>>318734201

For me, the one word that automatically wants me to want to murder the person who said it is "gamey/videogamey".
>>
>>318738625
gameplay isn´t mechanics. gamplay is what results for the mingling of mechnics, flow, pacing, exposition, cutscenes, etc.

That´s the reason why OP is a faggot, because he discards a very complex term that has really no substitute as a buzzword.
>>
>>318739243
kek, autism, rekt, git gud
>>
>>318736228
Problem is most of the posters are posting here instead of actually playing games.
>>
File: 130221984383.png (84 KB, 299x288) Image search: [Google]
130221984383.png
84 KB, 299x288
>>318739290
>cutscenes
>part of gameplay

Sony is that you?
>>
>>318739318
>most of the posters are posting here instead of actually playing games
>most
You are a special kind of retarded.
>>
>>318738858
Undertale's homosexual players have a visceral love for the penis. This homo immersion increases its appeal causing replayability and cancerous gameplay.
>>
>>318739290
>pacing, exposition, cutscenes

None of those things effect gameplay, those are story components
Gameplay is just your mechanical interaction with the game, there are things other than the game mechanics that effect gameplay, like the user interface for instance, but not those things you listed there
>>
>>318739442
>I can't into rss
It's ok to be retarded. You will fit in perfectly here.
>>
>>318734201
Gameplay and replayability are not buzzwords though.
>>
>>318739290
Cutscenes are not gameplay. Cutscenes are a literal departure from gameplay because the developer is too incompetent to work in a narrative without the help of an existing medium.

Games with cutscenes should be considered mixed media
>>
>>318739507
keepexposingkrap
>>
There is nothing wrong with immersion or gameplay.
>>
>>318739763
keepexposingkrap
>>
>>318739789
there's nothing wrong with immersion or gameplay in games, many games even.
it's wrong to demand immersion or gameplay from all games.
>>
>>318734201
There is nothing wrong with gameplay, immersion, or replayability. As usual op is faget
>>
>>318739591
You truly are a special kind of retarded, and you don't even understand why.
>>
File: VivecHasANewHat.jpg (205 KB, 600x647) Image search: [Google]
VivecHasANewHat.jpg
205 KB, 600x647
>>318739862
>it's wrong to demand gameplay from all games.

uhhhhhhh
>>
>>318734201
>no comfy
>>
>>318739976
>Implying you can't post here and play a game simultaneously
>>
>>318739976
is it because I spent the last 20 hours in game and couldn't be bothered to type correct english in a shitpost thread?
certainly hope that is the problem because otherwise you have gone full retard
>>
>>318734201
>gameplay is now a buzzword
No, fuck you OP and with a dragon dildo
>>
I don't necessarily agree with your statement, but I do agree with what you're underlying point is, to an extent. When discussing a video game, be it in a debate, review or anything else which can be viewed as serious then a word such as "gameplay" means nothing and isn't useful to the conversation. However, things such as immersion and replay ability can often factor into weather or not a certain individual wants to play said game. If these words are being used casually, for example telling a friend in brief passing that Just Cause 3's gameplay is a step up from the second, or Dark Souls is well worth replaying, then I don't see the issue.

That being said, going into specific mechanics and features instead of just saying "gameplay", and discussing the different types of builds instead of just referring to the game as being "replayable" is always preferred.
>>
>>318739862
>It's wrong to want gameplay in games
Literally what.
I can understand immersion, because not all games need to be immersive. But games need to have gameplay.
Unless you mean VNs.
>>
File: pquest2b.png (24 KB, 682x569) Image search: [Google]
pquest2b.png
24 KB, 682x569
>>318739984
Dragon's lair is a prime example of minimal gameplay. Yet it was a very important step in the development of games.
Progress Quest has NO gameplay, at all, yet it's an extremely well made statement on the state of MMOs.
Games have many purposes, beyond simple entertainment.
>>
>>318734201
>i don't understand word
>please don't use work
'no'
>>
>>318740161
VNs have gameplay, although very simple (multiple choice selection, sometimes minmaxing). Still a notch up from Dragon's Lair, I'd dare say.
>>
>>318740269
No I wont argue with that, but lots of VNs also have literally nothing except clicking to the next screen. No routes or choices or anything.
>>
>>318739318
That sentence doesn't make any sense
>>
File: 130221984384.png (117 KB, 200x191) Image search: [Google]
130221984384.png
117 KB, 200x191
>>318739862
>it's wrong to demand gameplay from all games

Okay Sony, it's time for bed.
>>
>>318734201
>gameplay
Holy shit, I surely am a retard because i speak OF THE FUCKING MOST IMPORTANT PART OF A FUCKING GAME.
>>
>>318740121
>a word such as "gameplay" means nothing and isn't useful to the conversation
Gameplay refers to the sum of its aspects.

>Just Cause 3's gameplay is a step up from the second
Prime example of a bad application of the word "gameplay". It is not an objective statement of quality, so "step up" says nothing. As said, gameplay is the sum of its aspects, so it's necessary to say how the gameplay of a successor improved. Maybe certain chores (menu selection) have been streamlined. Maybe the downtime (health recharge) has been reduced. Maybe the pace is more consistent. Plenty of things. Saying "better gameplay" does not help there. Summing up all these things as gameplay, is valid.

>Dark Souls is well worth replaying
Not a helpful statement, as it does not tell me why or how it's worth replaying. When replayability is used in the context of reviews, it usually is used, similar to gameplay, as a grouping term, for aspects that make it worthwhile to replay a game, that add to its replayability. What specifically motivates a player to replay something is very subjective though, and just saying "replayability went up" is useless. Backing it up with the individual aspects, makes it useful.

>going into specific mechanics and features instead of just saying "gameplay"
Going into specific mechanics dismisses how said mechanics work together to produce something total, in the way a game feels, or plays. You could call it game-play.
>>
>>318740321
I can accept that. I was refering to those that have at least some aspects of interactivity, but I do understand that there are examples that lack even that, and are little more than digital comics.
>>
>>318740617
Which is fine. I think VNs are games, just barebones gameplay.
>>
>>318734201
Anon, I believe you are trolling because your opinion is very wrong and offensive.
Gameplay, immersion and replayability are all elements of games.
>>
>>318740343
>The grammar police have arrived

Please spare me. I only posted like that because this thread is shit. Actually, I really don't give a fuck what you think.
>>
>>318740774
No it's not grammar it's the content
You're saying that people who are currently posting here are posting here and not playing video games which is kind of redundant
>>
>>318740682
yeah, it was not a statement of quality. I'm >>318739862 and things like VNs are a good example where demanding more gameplay would miss the point of these games. They're obviously not for everyone, but I'd rather not have a scene where every game must appeal to everyone, or else. AAA is already way too full of generic sandboxes. I prefer experimentation, playing with interactivity, lack of interactivity, indirection, things like that.
>>
>>318740884
>doesn't make sense
>redundant
pick one then gtfo
>>
>>318740565
>It is not an objective statement of quality
No fucking shit, anon, we're communicating on a philipinese crab catching chalkboard about taiwanese sock wseaving games, most every statement here is going to be completely subjective because that's how discussion works
>>
>>318739738
Can't create any complex narrative with just gameplay lad
>>
>people use words
>people understand each other when using these words, they're communicating concepts that the others grasp right away
>but they are somehow not valid words
This will always be wrong fuck off
>>
>visceral
>immersion
>replayability
Acceptable, because those are subjective and based on opinion

>gameplay
how the fuck else do you describe how a game is played? For example, a visual novel clearly has different "gameplay" than an FPS
>>
Officially the worst thread on /v/ right now, and the truly awful part is that I stopped playing video games to read and comment in this thread.
>>
>>318740954
A statement like "gameplay is better" is useless, because it does not communicate anything, especially in a discussion. Discussion is not about shouting opinions at each other, it's about making statements, backing them up, in order to either convey your position to someone else, or even convince them of it. The listener or reader might have a very different opinion about what gameplay they prefer, so they must disregard a statement about "better gameplay" as simple filler. That's why I mentioned it. In order to communicate, you need to find a language that both, the sayer/writer and the listener/reader understands, so the latter can form a reasonable opinion. That is how discussion works.
>>
>>318734201
Stfu Ray-Kwon. These simple terms are probably too hard for your nigger intellect to understand.
>>
>>318740101
You keep scratching your head there buddy, soon you'll understand.
>>
Snake's deep and multi-layered character compellingly contextualizes the rest of the experience; making it truly memorable
>>
>>318741262
How I can into butthurt like you?
>>
>>318741197It's basically an abbreviation. On this format of discussion you don't alwas spend 15 minutes typing out every single thing you mean, because by that time the discussion has already moved ahead or the thread is gone altogether. You thus write 'I prefer the gameplay of Half Life 1 over 2', and when someone is interested enough to ask why you think so you explain your thoughts
>>
>>318741262
I'm not your buddy, pal.
>>
Bloodbornes gameplay is extremely visceral and the haunting music, dark world, and cosmic horrors lend themselves to a game that is easy to immerse yourself in. With the chalice dungeon and new game plus options the game is rife with replayability. A+
>>
>>318741364
>I prefer the gameplay of Half Life 1 over 2
Yeah, I can stand behind such statements. The "I prefer" clarifies it's based on their personal preference of gameplay elements, and I do agree that gameplay is a valid and useful umbrella term.
>>
File: Idiotsatitagain.jpg (32 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Idiotsatitagain.jpg
32 KB, 500x500
>>318739510
>pacing doesn't effect gameplay
If Portal had a lock-picking mini-game the room before glados the pacing would have to a screeching halt and would have completely have ruin the gameplay.
>>
The problem with gameplay is that it's such a game-centric term, very alien to many people. We need to ease the common people into it, by introducing terms like the moviewatch, or the bookread, or even the albumlisten into reviews of other media.
>>
What do you think about the term "lasting appeal" as a substitute for "replayability"? There are many games that you don't replay, but you just keep playing on and on. Various Bethesda and Rockstar sandboxes come to mind. Then there are games that are very quick to play through, yet you happily do that many times. Someone mentioned Portal, but I'd go one step further and even add games like Tetris, where the individual session is exceptionally short, there's no endgame or credit roll, and the game won't add anything new, yet people can play it for years, and enjoy it.
>>
>>318741615
I think that's a given, though. I mean, people are always going to talk about their preferences, even if they don't word it like such, since defining the objective quality of something as subjective is kinda impossible
>>
>>318742083
>even if they don't word it like such
But it's so important to use precise language. We're harping on the term gameplay here, with some people calling it too broad to be meaningful, yet people use it in a very precise manner. In the same way it's important to point out subjectivity where it applies. In the case of gameplay, things actually mix a little. Say, a sequel has restructured a menu system, reducing the number of individual actions from 5 to 2, in order to do a common task. That reduction is an objective number, no denying that. However, the effect this has on the game, can be very subjective. For some people it increases the flow, and helps them getting immersed. For others, it reduces the penalty of using these menu options, which they consider an important aspect. What I'm saying is, when objective and subjective statements mix so strongly, like in gaming, it's not just important, but almost crucial, that the right language is used, to distinguish opinion and preference from facts.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.