[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm doing a critical evaluation on people's play-styles.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8
File: IMG_20151130_153337.jpg (1 MB, 2592x1944) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151130_153337.jpg
1 MB, 2592x1944
I'm doing a critical evaluation on people's play-styles. Please answer the following.

On your annual playthrough of OoT do you:

>1. Prefer to talk to Malon in the town square (if you make it there during the day) or walk past her and meet her out by the vines?
>2. Pay the guard off to open the gate or climb up the vines to get to Hyrule Castle?
>3. Get the Hylian Shield from the graveyard before going to Hyrule Castle so it matches with the ending, or later?
>4. Open the shortcut in Goron City by lighting the Deku Stick from Darunia's room on fire, or get Saria's Song first and then go to Death Mountain?
>>
>Meet Malon by vines
>Climb vines
>I always get the Hylian Shield from the store discount, so after I meet Zelda the first time
>Saria's song, I had no idea there was any other way
>>
>>318452505
>playing a game
>not talking to every possible NPC around you
>>
>>318453323
Pretty much this, except I get the shield from the graveyard because I usually forget I need it on the mountain.
>>
>>318452505
>>2. Pay the guard off to open the gate
WHAT
>>
>>318452505
I've only ever played link to the past and I couldn't get past the first dungeon area where you rescue her
>>
1. Pretty sure Malon doesn't spawn by the vines until you talk to her in the Town Sqaure at least once, although I could be wrong

2. Pretty the guard doesn't offer to be paid off until after you meet Ganondorf for the first time. Don't know why you would want to waste the money unless you are really that lazy and you didn't get Din's Fire by now. Could be wrong again

3. Usually get the Hylian Shield later. Ending mismatch never bothered me.

4. I usually go back and get Saria's Song as soon as I'm done in Hyrule Castle/Town Square to reduce backtracking,
>>
>>318453323
>he doesn't know about the early Goron City shortcut.
Laughinggerudos.jpg
It's okay. I didn't know about it until 4 years ago either. It was probably DEEPEST LORE threads becoming a thing that led me to investigate why that one Goron who tells you that there's fire in Darunia's room and says he hid a stick nearby and what that would be for. I only discovered today that he probably got the stick from that little tree by where the river enters the castle town wall, since Deku Sticks aren't native to any other tree.

>>318453985
1. She spawns anytime you either A. Leave the castle grounds at any moment. Or B. Get caught. So she only doesn't spawn the first time it loads.
2. The castle guard is tricky. If you meet him during the first EVER day/night cycle, his dialogue will be bugged. It will be the same as the main town gatekeeper's. The next day, he will have proper dialogue. Then you talk to him again twice after getting Malon's egg and he will ask you for 10 rupees.
4. But that increases the backtracking. The point of this thread was a subterfuge to see what people answered for this question, because getting the fire is faster than getting Saria's Song and running back, but feels shorted only because there's less steps involved. I'm trying to see whether people who know about both, would deliberately avoid the shortcut and head back to the woods instead.
>>
>1. Depends. Sometimes I talk to her, sometimes I just go to the vines.
>2. Always climb up.
>3. Depends. Many times I get the Hylan Shield from the graveyard after Dodongo's Cavern, sometimes I forget to get it until I am a adult.
>4. Saria's Song first, always.
>>
>>318455874
Oh, so you can actually open the shortcut from the Goron City side? I could have sworn I tried it at least once but for some reason the Deku Stick on fire didn't work. Maybe I'm just retarded.
>>
>Meet Malon in the town square
>Climb the vines
>Get Hylian Shield before going to Hyrule Castle
>Saria's song first always
>>
You forgot the choice of either going to the shadow temple or spirit temple first.
>>
File: 1289785109303.jpg (76 KB, 500x513) Image search: [Google]
1289785109303.jpg
76 KB, 500x513
>>318452505
>Talk to Malon at the square
>Climb the vines
>Buy the Hylian shield from the bazaar
>Get Saria's song first
>>
>>318452505
I don't do an annual playthrough of OoT because it's shit
>>
>>318452505
>1. Talk Malon in town sqaure
>2. Climb vines
>3. Buy Hylian shield for 80 rupees
>4. Open shorcut with my own bombs.
>>
>>318457413
this
>>
>implying I play this once a year
>1. Vines
>2. Vines part two
>3. Nigga fuck you mean
>4. Saria's song, didn't know there was another way.
>>
>>318452505
>Meet Malon by vines
>Climb vines
>Hylian shield from graveyard after meeting Zelda
>YOU CAN USE A DEKU STICK ON BOMB FLOWERS!?
>>
File: 1447578111993.jpg (40 KB, 618x459) Image search: [Google]
1447578111993.jpg
40 KB, 618x459
>>318452505
>2. Pay the guard off to open the gate or climb up the vines to get to Hyrule Castle?
>4. Open the shortcut in Goron City by lighting the Deku Stick from Darunia's room on fire, or get Saria's Song first and then go to Death Mountain?
Hadn't even realized these were possible
>>
>>318452505
>Meet by the vines
>Climb the vines
>Buy the Hylian Shield from the Bazaar
>Shortcut
>>
1. Meet her by the vines
2. Climb the vines
3. Get the Hylian Shield from the graveyard after talking to Zelda since it's on the way to DM anyway
4. Open the the shortcut with the deku sticks
>>
>>318452505
I always fuck Malon
>>
>>318452505

I just fuck Malon by the vineyard and keep it movin desu senpai
>>
>>318452505
Vine
Vine (didn't know you could pay the guard)
Shields are for pussies
Shortcut
>>
>>318456301
You're not retarded. It seems counterintuitive that you could light a plant with a fire even if that plant is also a bomb.
>>318456993
I avoided that question because there's more than that if we're talking dungeon orders, and because that legitimately has two answers. The Medallions go: Spirit - Shadow.
A question I should have asked but wouldn't contribute to the purpose of this thread is: do you get Epona's Song before becoming an adult or come back for it later?

I'd be curious what the "canonical" answer to that question is for most people.
>>
>>318458019
>>318457968
Reported. Prepare for v8.
>>
>>318452505
1. Town Square
2. Vines
3. Later
4. Shortcut
Look at all these casuals who didn't know about the shortcut. I found it when I was 8. A Goron tells you Darunia likes the music there and there's fucking music by those rocks with bombs conveniently attached to them and you're lighting the torches in Goron City anyway obviously and bombs + fire = ???. How the fuck do you miss it.
>>
OP here. I just realized I goofed hard. Who can figure out why?
>>
>1. Prefer to talk to Malon in the town square (if you make it there during the day) or walk past her and meet her out by the vines?
When I remember town but usually the vines
had no clue you could do that
>3. Get the Hylian Shield from the graveyard before going to Hyrule Castle so it matches with the ending, or later?
Always the graveyard
Always Saria's song
>>
>>318458768
Malon doesn't give you the egg in the town square
>>
>>318452505
Town Square
Climb the vines
Later
Use the shortcut
>>
File: Malon and Link.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Malon and Link.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
>>318458453
Worth it
>>
>>318458883
No. I didn't imply that she did.

I goofed because....

Well I'll give you another chance to guess by spoilering it, because you will chuckle when you realize why.

The castle gate closes as a child at night. The only way you could make it inside at night is if you jump from it as it's raising. Either way Malon will ALWAYS appear in the castle square first and then spawn at the castle grounds after leaving and returning. The new question is... does Malon still do appear in the square at night in OoT3D?
>>
>>318452505
1. Wait for her at the vines
2. I enjoy climbing the vines, I didn't know you could pay the guard until recently.
3. I get the sheild from the graveyard.
4. Go get Saria's Song as soon as I can because she's cute.
>>
File: 1441295982264.jpg (131 KB, 525x809) Image search: [Google]
1441295982264.jpg
131 KB, 525x809
>On your annual playthrough of OoT do you:
>>
>>318452505
>Talk to Malon, run into the castle area, run back into town, back to castle and talk
>Climb Vines
>I get the Hylian Shield before Dodongo's Cavern
>Saria's Song to get the Bracelet, but use the fire to light the shortcut bombs
>>
>>318458883
>>318458883
>>318459693
Oh, I guess I did imply that by not adding "first."
My mistakaroonie.
>>
>>318460276
>Saria's Song to get the Bracelet, but use the fire to light the shortcut bombs

Misunderstood genius.
>>
>>318452505
>On your annual playthrough of OoT

You're presuming a lot, lad.
>>
File: 1408774233926.png (138 KB, 851x315) Image search: [Google]
1408774233926.png
138 KB, 851x315
>Town Square
>Climb the vines
>Shield before Hyrule Castle
>Open Shortcut
>>
>>318452505
>In the square
>Climb the vines
>Graveyard shield later
>Saria's Song

I'm with OP.
This stuff is fascinating.
Personally I'm more interested in game where players get tons of equipment and how they sort it. Either using auto-sort or manually doing it.
>>
>>318462429
Not really. The fact that Ocarina of Time is still the most popular game around these parts 17 years strong says a lot about the gaming community's ability to assess quality en masse. And what are all true gamers if not jaded savants wanting to share knowledge? Exactly what /v/ is a hub for.

If you don't like OoT, you are the minority, not majority. Usually that's a bad thing, (see One Piece fandom), but not in gaming since OoT is the best Zelda and Zelda is the series that has contributed most to this industry.
>>
>>
>>318464636
lol, this guy.

It's a good game and all but bruh.

Bruh.
>>
File: 1395349016135.jpg (488 KB, 1600x1067) Image search: [Google]
1395349016135.jpg
488 KB, 1600x1067
>>318452505

>all of this is just the beginning of the game

>people still insist OoT is linear
>>
1) Meet her by the vines.
2) Climb the vines.
3) Get it from the graveyard, BUT after completing the Dodongo's Cavern to give me a little extra challenge.
4) The Deku Stick method.
>>
>>318452505
>Meet her by the vines
>Cheap way. I know you can pay the guard, but triggering the ability to pay always confused me.
>I've played through this game somewhere around 20 times and I had no idea there was a free shield in the graveyard. I usually buy it as soon as I get to Hyrule Castle, without the discount since money is never really a problem.
>Maybe the first couple times I went back, but I always use the shortcut now
>>
>>318465259
It's not linear. But every Zelda game after it is, including MM. If you're a fanboy of those then the first thing you'll critique about it is it doesn't have so many in-depth sidequests. But in reality its sidequests are more in-depth than any of the other Zeldas, but ARE more linear.
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.