[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Tanking is hard.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: lel.jpg (70 KB, 330x319) Image search: [Google]
lel.jpg
70 KB, 330x319
>Tanking is hard.
>>
Nothing in an MMO is hard.

Tanks have the most responsibility, and are the center of the party.

If a DPS dies, nobody gives a shit.

If the tank dies, it's basically game over
>>
File: ogbobbyhill.jpg (49 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
ogbobbyhill.jpg
49 KB, 500x375
>hunter pet keeps taunting adds
>>
>>318450818
>Nothing in an MMO is hard.
>Never playing a healer.
>>
>>318450675
>trying to tank
>DRK keeps pulling hate with Last Resort
>BLMs keep Nuking pre-50%
>WHM cure bombs them and pulls hate to himself
>Back-up tank isn't using voke
>mfw everyone dies and I get blamed for "not holding hate"
>>
>>318450997

healers have the easiest job out of the trinity.

If your group is good, you are completely redundant as a healer. You're basically fuel that the tank needs to keep going.
>>
>>318450675
Why does gold face have a hole in his chin
>>
>>318451310
THIS
You just spam 1 button for 30 minutes as a healer if your group is good.
>>
Lets think of an MMORPG system that doesn't involve the trinity.

*starts taking notes for his game*

Well? Any ideas?
>>
In a good group tanking is the most difficult job. It just never really scales in difficulty (if anything the worse your group the easier it is to just keep hate)

In a good group healing is the easiest job. On the other hand with a shit group its a literal nightmare.

DPS is basically just fucking babbymode outside of a few classes in a few MMO's that have complex enough rotations or split second decision making that requires skill.
>>
>Be tank
>Don't do damage, just focus on popping proper CDs to not die
>Learn to raid lead
>Now you lead while tanking, making it easier for everyone else to do their roles better

Tanks should ALWAYS raid lead. They can focus on so much other bullshit without any proper rotation.
>>
>>318451310
>play healer
>keeping everyone healed and in tip top shape
>opposing team immediately focuses on you
>your teammates scatter, letting you die
>they say you're useless, then kick you

>team has no cooperation
>dps's run off in random direction, leaving tank and healer behind
>get themselves killed
>scream at healer about not doing their job
>they kick you from the group

It's easiest until you get put with shitters
>>
>>318450675
DPS is "I don't want any responsibility" easy mode.

Tanking isn't hard, but its not as brain-dead as DPS. And because they're always in demand you always get prima donnas who will bitch if you do ANYTHING other than what they want to do. They also bring the group down as a whole if they're bad.

Healing is easier (and more boring) than DPS, but its fucking stressful since your fuckups will lead to wipes.
>>
>healer is so overpowered that can noodleslap your shit for 60 minutes and win a duel
>>
>tree of savior
>all this tanking/healing/dps bullshit doesnt exist but everyone has unique roles
Finally. A good MMO.
>>
>>318451815
In a bad group healing is the worst job.

I was just playing and holy shit, the group just forgot the ads, the tank forgot the hunter pulling alone, it was a disaster.
>>
>>318452789
Tell me more senpai
>>
>>318453542
I sorta lied, dedicated DPS/Healers/tanks do exist

Its the first MMO iv played in ages where classes have different and desirable roles. Are Hoplites and Barbarians both DPS? Yes. But they both bring totally different things to a party and the play style of one is not like the other. Then you have classes like Linkers, who link enemies together so they share damage, basically another DPS class but a whole new way to deal damage, totally unlike any other class and with utility to work with that linkage as well as great ways to combine your abilities with other players abilities (Hoplites have a fantastic self buff that drastically increases your crit chance, want to share it with the party? Get a linker to link your party together than use the buff).

Then you have classes that are not combat based at all, like Squires who set up camps and repair gear, or Pardoners who can sell the abilities of other classes they have taken to other people so they can use them as one use spells.

Then add in the fact you can mix and match these classes and you get a hell of a lot of diversity.

The classes, in case you wanted to look at them; http://www.tosbase.com/game/classes
>>
>>318451310
>If your group is good, you are completely redundant as a healer.
It's a shame that barely any group is actually good. If you're group is good then the healer acts as a DPS/Healer hybrid.
Thank you for proving my point
>>
>>318454458
Oh sweet a Necromancer class. I'll look into it. How do non combat based classes work? Is it a bit like SWG where they never need to go into any raid dungeons or are they vital to party suvival? I'm pretty interested now.
>>
Assuming you have at least semi competent players;

With tanking, if you hold aggro and don't die, you win.

With healing, if you keep everyone alive you win.

With DPS you always have a chance to improve your game or rotation so the group finishes faster. DPS has the highest skill ceiling.
>>
>>318452789
>implying gw2 has not done it yet
>implying it not garbage gameplay mechanics

The triangle is there for a reason.
>>
>>318450675
It is with retarded DD and Healers like you.
>>
>>318455465
Asshurt tankuck detected.
>>
>>318455367
See >>318454458

>>318454973
There are all types of non combat classes, some vital to parties survival, some useful for grinding, some only based in towns for jewing it up.

Some are basically AFK classes, like pardoners. Basically you make a combination of useful classes then pick Pardoner, turn your skills into scrolls, and sell them AFK in towns or to parties so they have otherwise hard to get skills for their dungeons.

Others are more active like Squires, set up camps and buff your weapons/armor while repairing your stuff inbetween grinding sessions.

Then you have pure utility non combats, like chronomancers who can turn back time in locations to make mobs respawn.

Have a look on youtube, most of the classes and their abilities are there and will give you an idea on how they work.

Since this all sounds like massive shilling let me add in the two major issues with the game, firstly its easy as fuck, and second its grindy as balls. And there is little to no chance of either getting fixed
>>
>MMOs are hard
>>
>>318456803
No game with stat based leveling with the ability to grind is hard

Its a fundamentally flawed concept.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.