[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've played the shit out of New Vegas, and I want to play
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
I've played the shit out of New Vegas, and I want to play the shit out of Fallout 2. Over the last couple of years I've tried to get into it a few times, but it seems I'm just too casul. I get bored and frustrated and quit every time. How do I overcome my disability?
>>
play fallout 1 first
>>
You have failed /v/.
You're definitely not one of us.
>>
>>318448712
>Try to play a boring fucking game
>Don't like it
>lol I guess I'm just casual

???
>>
>>318448712
Follow a character build/guide for the first time or cheat until you know the game then start over. Fuck it, if you're a casual who cares just have fun.
>>
>>318448712
it's a lot different than the newer Fallout games because having low stats is actually bad instead of just okay. However there are quite a few skills that pale in comparison to others. For example Big Guns aren't good late game and use rare ammo.
>>
>>318448712
Bruteforce trough The first 5-10 hours of F1. You will get in The right pace and Start to enjoy it.

After that F2 was one of the greatest Games for me
>>
>>318448712
Play it with a guide. I know it seems casual, but the first time you'll miss most of the content and will feel lost without one.

Also build is super important. Go small guns/speech/lockpick. Always pick gifted. Etc.
>>
File: Joshua_Graham.jpg (31 KB, 500x243) Image search: [Google]
Joshua_Graham.jpg
31 KB, 500x243
Does it have any DLC? Maybe that would help.
>>
>>318450138
F1 doesn't really need bruteforcing, most of its quests are easily found and completed and you actually start with gun and all. I guess the only issue would be the kind of counter-intuitive design of necropolis. Fallout 2's first third is just endlessly painful for new players.
>>
>>318448712
Is this your first turn based game or something?
>>
>>318450284
Is it worth it to take "Educated" perk? It seems like most of the skills are useless and you max the good ones fast, but on the other hand it feels wrong to miss out on it
>>
File: paul.jpg (91 KB, 259x223) Image search: [Google]
paul.jpg
91 KB, 259x223
Play 1 first, I was in the same boat as you but I ended up loving FO1.

Pick gifted, not skilled, and put at least 7 points into Agility, Perception, and Luck, preferably more. Pick good int and average everything else. The game picks up a lot in Shady Sands, take Ian as a companion and don't be afraid to think outside the box, things in this game have solutions that'll blow your mind. This is not like New Vegas, your initial character build WILL make or break you.

don't be afraid to look up a walkthrough sometimes if you need to. It's a bit pleb-tier, but never beating the game is more pleb-tier.
>>
>>318450562
No, I like Civ and Advance Wars. It's just that half of all attacks miss, and everything takes an hour and a half to kill. I have to be super careful and reload saves even in the tutorial dungeon, I have to run to the town shaman two or three times to get healed before I can kill the plants in his garden, the geckos around the village and the first town are just as hard to kill.
>>
>>318450572
Educated is not a good perk. Non-combat skills except speech and lockpick are trash (science has some late game uses but you can get the points later).

Most skills indeed are useless. You got five usable combat skills, speech, lockpick, sneak, steal and science. That's about it. Repair has one check in the game. First aid is just worse doctor. Barter is useless because there's massive money glut very early on. Gambling is just.. no. Outdoorsman can be okay dump skills in restoration project because random encounters might be lethal.
>>
>>318448712
Did you have 10 AGI in your build?
>>
>>318448712
It took me forever to get into fallout 1. I didn't get into it until I found the right character build. I stuffed points into agility, perception, and luck. Only regret is I wish I would've tagged energy weapons instead of steal.
>>
>>318450956
then don't kill them

melee and unarmed is trash before proper weapons

get guns before you fight anything proper
>>
>>318450956
They take forever to kill, true. You can easily hit & run them to death without taking a single hit though
>>
>>318450956
Do what I said with agi, per, and luck here >>318450776 and after reaching like level 1 you will almost never miss as long as you play right.

I probably missed less than 15 times in my entire game.
>>
>>318450572
Pretty much the only perk that you should 100% take is gifted, the extra special is god-tier.
>>
Get to the strip fgt
>>
Sounds to me like you've a shitty build.

Fallout 2 will beat the shit out of you if you don't play with an idea of how your character will kick ass late-game. You can't go the Bethesda route of just being good at everything after a long enough time; the game literally doesn't have enough content for you to get that strong.

It might help for me to FULLY explain the traits, as the game offers a rather poor explanation, and some of them can make or break a playstyle.

>Bloody Mess
Actually one of the more harmless traits. It makes all the death animations more violent. Instead of just falling over, people tend to explode. Somewhat lessens the awesomeness of heavy weapons.
>Bruiser
You get +2 Strength and -2 AP. this is one of the nasty ones, as strength isn't all that important late game, but AP is.
>chem reliant
you get addicted to chems twice as easily, but recover from addiction faster. the exception to this is Jet, which addicts you permanently. does nothing if you don't take chems, obviously.
>chem resistant
you have half the chance of addiction, but chems last half as long. since you usually only use them to win fights (which last seconds of in-game time) and pass skill checks, this is a pretty good trait.
>fast metabolism
you heal faster, but your radiation and poison resist are 0. don't take this. radiation is AWFUL.
>fast shot
all attacks cost 1 less AP, but you can't aim. this is a make-or-break trait. it's possible to build a character around lightning-fast handgun use, but you'll need some clever stat crunching to get around the inability to plug people in the eyes (which ignores armor, a vital ability late game)
>finesse
your crit chance is increased by 10%, but all attacks you deal have 30% DR applied to them. notably, this DR doesn't certain affect critical hits, so if you stack crit chance you can completely negate the negatives of this trait.

Cont'd...
>>
File: hrr.jpg (25 KB, 624x448) Image search: [Google]
hrr.jpg
25 KB, 624x448
>>318453087
>>
File: Fallout_2_(PC)_08[1].png (72 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Fallout_2_(PC)_08[1].png
72 KB, 640x480
>>318453087
>gifted
all your SPECIAL stats increase by 1, but you gain 5 less skill points per level AND you get -10% to all skills to start. NEVER TAKE THIS.
>good natured
+15% to First Aid, Speech, Doctor, and Barter, but -10% to Big Guns, Small Guns, Energy Weapons, Melee Weapons, and Unarmed. Another poisonous trait; it cripples you early game and never really comes into it's own.
>heavy handed
Your melee damage goes up by 4, but your crits are 30% worse (-30% on the critical hit table). A no-no for crit-fishers, but can go very well with Fast Shot. Unlike Fast Shot, however, it offers no real power late-game, as Unarmed quickly runs out of steam.
>jinxed
EVERYONE critically fails more often. The exact numbers aren't really known, but this is a fun trait to have. You can minimize the bad effects of crit fails by going Unarmed (crit fails in unarmed aren't as awful).
>kamikaze
+5 sequence (initiative, if you play DnD) but you don't get the base 10 AC. This is another crippler; never take it.
>one hander
You get +20% to hit with one-handed weapons, but two-handed weapons get -40%. This trait can be made to work, as there ARE late-game weapons which can really kick ass (especially with Fast Shot, as one-handed guns usually fire faster)
>sex appeal
Not a commonly taken trait, as it governs non-combat interactions only, but the majority of the characters you want to talk to are male. There ARE a few female power players, but for the most part this trait takes more than it gives.
>skilled
You get +5 skill points per level, but you get a Perk every 4 levels. Perks are pretty awesome, but if your INT is low (if you're attempting an Idiot/Forrest Gump run) you might want this.
>small frame
You get +1 agility, but your carry weight is reduced. Not a serious drawback, since you can bypass the problem with followers, power armor, and a MOTHERFUCKING CAR, but not a serious advantage either. Mediocre.
>>
>>318448874
>>318448712
you must leave this place until you have no plebeian blood in you
>>
>>318448993
funny, fallout 3 and 4 story bored me while NV kept me interested
>>
>>318454395
>NEVER TAKE EASY MODE
good man
>>
>>318448874
everyone on /v/ is a huge casual
>>
>>318453087
Never take bruiser, you can get to 10 strength with a base of 5 in FO2.

The only time when finesse would be useful is with an extremely high crit chance which you can get with sniper, and while you might have that 10% less chance of getting crits without it, it also means you don't have to deal with that 30% damage loss.

>>318454395
Gifted is the best trait in the game since your SPECIAL is so limiting. An extra 7 points to assign allows you to max out Agility and get 9 in int and luck while keeping balanced stats like 5 strength and perception. Easily the best perk in the game, since you'd have to gain 21 levels and pick Gain X to replicate its effects. Skillpoints are abundant regardless of if you took gifted, and you can offset the loss with 9 int or so.

Fast shot doesn't work with melee attacks in FO2, which is mad gay.

Skilled is a blight upon the earth, no matter how little int you've got. Perks vastly outweigh the skill points you'll gain with it, and eventually you'll have too many skill points and not enough perks. You can still make it work, but in the same way you could also make Bruiser work.

Small frame is a free stat point if you don't feel like you want to steamroll everything with gifted, it's among the better traits you can take.
>>
>>318454395
>NEVER TAKE THIS.
but
>>
>>318459295
don't believe his lies
>>
>>318450457
>Fallout 1/2
>Expansion packs

If only
>>
>>318460773
Everything Ondore says is trustworthy
>>
>>318456289
>shill comes in here trying to start a flame war
Fuck off cunt
>>
>>318448993
/Thread
>>
>>318448712
You don't, Fallout 2 is shit, play Fallout 1 instead.
>>
>>318448712
you play 4 it's casual enough for you if you can't handle 2 the rest of /v/ has it's good
>>
>>318448824
This actually. FO1 will prepare you for the challenge and you'll have some perspective for the sequel
>>
>>318462383
>implying anyone wants to argue FO3/4's story was good
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.