[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone feel an odd charm from PS1/64 era low poly shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6
File: Not Tomb Raider.jpg (16 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
Not Tomb Raider.jpg
16 KB, 480x360
Does anyone feel an odd charm from PS1/64 era low poly shit? It's not even nostalgia because I feel it from games I never even played as a kid like Ape Escape. Is this how Indie devs feel when they jack off to NES sprites?
>>
File: DangerGirlPSX.jpg (38 KB, 512x378) Image search: [Google]
DangerGirlPSX.jpg
38 KB, 512x378
You are not alone. Maybe it was just from growing up with it.

>not starting your masturbation to video games with psx era
>>
Watch this be the next genre for indy-shovelware to move to.
implying a lot of these games weren't shovelware to begin with
>>
>>318438593

That game was so fucking shit, I loved it
>>
Low poly just looks awful to me. It aged so badly.
>>
>Does anyone else like old games?????? upvote if you agree!!!!!

>>>/vr/
>>
Low poly looks good when combined with good texture resolution, draw distance, framerate and vibrant colors. Things that weren't possible on old hardware.
>>
>>318438593
I think a lot of it has to do with imagination. A lot of these low poly games didn't have enough rendering power available to show you things beyond representations, which means your mind happily starts filling in for you.

This in turn creates a more... I don't know... personal experience? The old idiom of "less is more".

There's also a sort of eery charm to them. A lot of old 3D games felt kind of lonely, it was just you and the enemies in these fairly static worlds. There was a sort of secret magic to that, like you were in a place you shouldn't be. It's really hard to describe.
>>
File: abbeyposter.jpg (157 KB, 764x541) Image search: [Google]
abbeyposter.jpg
157 KB, 764x541
>>
I feel the same way, it does have a charm to me. I think in a weird way some games or designs also just looked better low poly for whatever reason. On average I have a theory that games from this generation were better overall because not ad many resources went into making the graphics for everything, but I could be wrong. I don't know anything about game design. I think though it gave developers a lot more time to work on actual content however.
>>
File: 1447541424937.png (666 KB, 584x749) Image search: [Google]
1447541424937.png
666 KB, 584x749
>>318439514
>when you finally get the ZF-1
>>
>>318440409
I think part of it might have been as well that it was fairly easy to prototype ideas when you were working with low poly assets and really small teams.
>>
File: Drift 2.png (519 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
Drift 2.png
519 KB, 2048x1152
Leelu Dallas Multipass
>>
>>318439498
Weren't the Fear Effect games pretty decent? I remember they got a lot of shilling in magazines and got good scores.
>>
I sort of feel similar, but I'm more in love with games that have the graphics of stuff like DMC3, though I still love Half Lifes graphics and whatever. The whole rugged edges things is beautiful to me. Everything is sharp.

For whatever reason, games nowerdays that have all these shiny surfaces for everything just doesn't work as well for me.
>>
I'm emulating the original fear effect for ps1 right now. This game is so fucking bad- the responsiveness of the controls, the game mechanics, the combat, the puzzles, the story, the boss fights, it's all absolutely terrible....I can't put it down.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.