[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Am I the only one who thought this was an incredibly underrated
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11
Am I the only one who thought this was an incredibly underrated game? I didn't even like the other 2 games in the XIII series and didn't have much love for the characters or plot but the game setting and rules of the game world were amazing.
I loved how open the questing system was, I loved the time restriction and the sense of urgency to accomplish things, reach areas at certain times and generally planning out your day ahead to be as optimal as possible.
Combat was fun, simple yet challenging and levelling up was sufficiently rewarding.
The idea of enemy types being finite and eventually going extinct forever was genius.
I like the concept of a small number of very difficult bosses. and the small elements of metroidvania location unlocks.

Surprised people didn't like it more, did everyone just not give it a chance or just not find the changes are interesting and fresh as I did?
>>
i think /v/ generally likes this game for its gameplay. you're just a little late
>>
I would've liked it more if the fps wasn't consistently like 17.

Fuck, I'll take 30. Just SOMETHING.
>>
>>318427046
Yes, each sequel was better than the game before it. Lightning Returns is a good game that SOMEHOW made the three games come together in a way that XII-2 completely failed to.
>>
>>318427046
I really liked it, good gameplay, great music and can play doll with lightning.
>>
>>318427046
Omg, you're b8ing too hard.
>>
>>318427046
>I loved the time restriction and the sense of urgency to accomplish things

No such thing, you can just spam the time stop and take as long as you want to do everything.

I finished 2 of the 4 areas in the first day.
>>
>>318427046

If you like this game, you're either severely underage or this is the first game you've ever played.
>>
>>318427046
I refuse to play games with timers. I hated that shit in the 80s, hated it in the90s, was glad it went away. I wouldn't spend a penny to support it coming back.
>>
To be honest I would be a lot more interested if not for the time aspect.

I just do not play will with time limits. I generally like to take things slow and do one thing at a time and if there is a time limit introduced I just get way to nervous to properly enjoy it.

>>318427187
Didn't they finally announce the PC release a while back?

I've had XIII installed for a while now but I haven't felt the need to start it up right now. Tried it two times on PS3 and both times I gave up around the amusement park thing.
>>
>>318427376

Neither, my mind was just so utterly ruined by bad PS1/PS2 games that I literally don't care anymore.
>>
>>318427487
ah man, the amusement park is where things finally start to get real, at least if you like Sazh.
>>
File: Image (71).jpg (628 KB, 2550x3510) Image search: [Google]
Image (71).jpg
628 KB, 2550x3510
Aw yeah, another LR thread for me to shill in. Let's all pray that people even more autistic than me work on mods so we can unlock pic related.

As usual, my shitty artbook scans are here. https://www.dropbox.com/s/3mur0sldbo3dwt2/ff LR.zip?dl=0
>>
>>318427426
>>318427487
See >>318427325, the time aspect is only there because you're letting it be there.
>>
>jrpg players think this is underrated

Fuck off man. People think this game is underrated with that shit story and customization system? The only thing that survives from the first game which was the strongest of the series which is not saying alot, is the combat which is just a taped together version of the earlier final fantasies.

But no, you are not the only one cause sales show your fucking people will any game up if it has Squared Enix anywhere on the box art
>>
>>318427621
I really wonder why Cait Sith wasn't the cat costume for the actual game.
>>
I liked it, timer made me feel uncomfortable as fuck thou
>>
>>318427613
Yeah. It's not like I dislike the game that much. I find the combat fairly enjoyable and I don't really mind the characters.
It's mostly the bad story and "cutscene-walk 5 meters-cutscene", repeat that stops me from playing.

Like. There's just no story there for most of the game. You are just walking from one place to another and getting the occasional backstory and it takes a toll on the enjoyment.
>>
I don't care for Lightning, but combat looks fun for a change. I'm gonna try it in 2 weeks.
>>
>>318427426
>>318427487
I was hesitant on the idea of timers, the only game I had played before with a similar concept was Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter which was not to my taste given the expectation of failure and constant reiteration to slowly progress.
I thought the timers were really well balanced in LR though, they were never stressful for a first time player with no idea what to do or where to go but they gave enough urgency to keep things moving with extra reward for someone progressing very efficiently.
>>
>>318427992
How is the time played out?

Like are we talking a constantly ticking clock or event based?

I wouldn't mind the event based as much(like I can play and enjoy the Persona games) but a constantly ticking clock gives me a stomach pain just thinking about it.
>>
>>318428249
it's a constantly ticking clock, but you can choose to stop it for short intervals.
>>
>>318427746
this. the timer was a bad idea, even though you can still blow through the game in half the days.
You just constantly feel pressured to use your time-slowing ability whenever possible and get flighty when you waste time doing something pointless (I had to leave and redo the entire Caius dungeon because he was way too strong for my level.)

Two people I know just quit the game because they felt they fucked up with the timer, even though I told them they could still easily beat the game within the limit.
>>
>>318428249
The clock is always ticking but completely quests and doing well in battles gets you points you can use to freeze it. You start with only a couple days but if you do more good deeds you give the world more days until apocalypse (up to 13)
>>
>>318428249

It's a ticking clock, but one of the first abilities you get is one that stops time for like 5 real life minutes. And you can use it whenever you want as long as you have 2 EN, which is exactly how much you get for being big enemies. And time doesn't pass during battles.

Plus the more you do, the more it adds to the clock. You start with 6 days but by the end you'll have 13 if you do everything.
>>
>>318428249
It's always ticking but there is an ability that's stop it, you have plenty of time though, like you can finish everything in 5 game days and it gives you 14 days.
>>
>>318427046
Why would I even give the sequels a chance when the first game was the most boring JRPG I ever played?

I got to the final boss, but I STILL don't know what the fuck the plot was meant to be. They're... rejecting their quest to go on a different quest, or something?
>>
>>318428383
>>318428484
>>318428540
>>318428626
Alright. That makes things less stressful I suppose.

And even if I start to feel really stressed out there will probably be some mod or trainer on PC to stop the time altogether.

Still need to do the first to games though,
>>
Should of been dlc we didn't need a trilogy
>>
>>318428249
In addition to what others have said it's also time of day based with certain events happening at certain times. It's not as obnoxious or stressful as a timer counting down to zero.
You have a certain number of days and can earn an extra day when you defeat a boss.
>>
>>318428801
It's meant to be that way in the first game of the trilogy.
>>
>>318428970
>game is shit
>oh boy, a sequel to shit game is coming out! I should play it!
Said nobody ever.
>>
File: 1448618346173.png (366 KB, 800x800) Image search: [Google]
1448618346173.png
366 KB, 800x800
literally the most beautiful, perfect girl
>>
>>318429108
I meant story understanding but you were clearly shitposting so never mind.
>>
>>318428801
I don't blame you. The plot to the game is one of the most mature in the entire series, if not in the history of video games. The philosophical implications often go over people's heads.
>>
>>318429280
If that's what you think shitposting is, boy howdy have you come to the wrong place.
>>
>>318428801
Not like the story or continuity matters. The main character is now a goddess with zero correlation to her motivations in the first game other than wanting to save Serah
>>
>>318428801
The problem with the first game is you never REALLY figure out how the world works. Who are the gods, what is their role/importantance, what the fuck IS Cocoon. Basically the cast of characters were raised in a really sheltered place and no nothing about the world, and the world doesn't give you enough time to figure it out because someone is always chasing and trying to kill you. That and gameplay is pretty damn boring. XII-2 does that system much better with the monster catching/raising and you also learn how the FFXIII universe "works". Then LR literally throws you into that universes pantheon and you have to decide between that world or the new one that world's God is building.
>>
File: 1442745702640.jpg (140 KB, 436x467) Image search: [Google]
1442745702640.jpg
140 KB, 436x467
>>318429323
>>
>>318427621
>Fucking Keyblade and Golbez-styled armor were cut.

Goddamit, looking at rejected job designs for any FF always makes me sad.
>>
The combat was good but not good enough to carry the game since literally everything else was shit besides the soundtrack. Not enough enemy variety, fighting the same enemies over and over got old quick
>>
>>318429679
Yup, I knew that would be your response. If you're the average person playing video games, I can see why so many people were confused about the game.
>>
File: image.png (886 KB, 847x506) Image search: [Google]
image.png
886 KB, 847x506
>>318427719
Because Final Fantasy XIV developers said "Let's add lightning events to our game!"
So the developers on Lightning Returns at the time of development said "We will take something from Final Fantasy XIV and put it into our game"
So they added the Miqo'te garb.
>>
>>318429858
I honestly can't tell if you're shitposting or you're genuinely this delusional.

Either way that's a different Anon.
>>
>>318430089
Bruh, playing the game is akin to growing a tree. You spend hours and hours on it trying to get some satisfaction, and then finally, after months of trying, you realize the guy sold you a fake seed and you will never get that beautiful tree you were promised. But then you realized he didn't sell you the tree. He sold you the dedication and work and drive to see it through. And that's when you realize the seed was inside you all along. And then you achieve enlightenment and are free to laugh at the poor fools who doesn't understand, who will never reach your levels of euphoria.
>>
>>318430490
Had me there for a minute.
>>
>>318430490
You forgot the part where a non-kek would find the guy, kick his shit in, and get his money back, with interest.
>>
>>318430671
Haha I'm so euphoric right now.
>>
The final boss shits on any good will the game has

No, I don't mean that God literally wants to fuck Lightning, I mean that the battle itself is anti-fun.
>>
>>318430671
>>318430834
All joking aside, the themes present in the game are some of the most thought provoking in the series history.
>>
By the time that game came out I just didn't care at all about lightning
>>
>>318432134

She doesn't even act like Lightning anymore in this game, it's wierd.
>>
>>318432306
She's not even human anymore by the third game. You play the whole game under the perspective of a God picking her favorite mortals to save.
>>
File: BhXA8s6CAAAnBkS.jpg (22 KB, 599x337) Image search: [Google]
BhXA8s6CAAAnBkS.jpg
22 KB, 599x337
>>318432306
That's not true.

Her romance with Hope is still in full force. Meow Meow Choco Chow
>>
File: Fuck you Nep.jpg (36 KB, 680x350) Image search: [Google]
Fuck you Nep.jpg
36 KB, 680x350
>>318432502
>Hope wasn't even Hope, it was God hoping to stick his dick in Lightning
>mfw
>>
>>318432306
What? She was classic Lightning. The fuck you talking about?
>>
I tried to like this game, but the sidequests feel like chores, story is kinda rushed and shitty, and random encounters get really tedious.
The gameplay is good but the whole package isn't enjoyable for me. I liked FXIII-2 a lot more.
>>
The XIII series killed the franchise
>>
>>318432618

Neither her nor Hope have any real emotions other than annoyance anymore. This is even established in-game with a conversation saying God took their emotions away.
>>
File: cutting edge ps3 graphics.jpg (36 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
cutting edge ps3 graphics.jpg
36 KB, 640x360
Let's talk about things that we wish Square-Enix would have improved for the PC port, but are too incompetent and lazy to do so.

First thing would be a screenshot function that renders BETTER than the in-game graphics, rather than WORSE.

Fuck you Square-Enix. How could you possibly have fucked that up?

Look at this shit. It didn't look this bad in game, and it was actually moving and stuff.
>>
>>318432786
bruh, she never showed much emotions in the previous games either.
>>
>>318432858

Not true.

She showed a lot of anger.
>>
File: theD.jpg (42 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
theD.jpg
42 KB, 640x360
>>318432836
That being said, I had far too much fun playing dressup and taking pictures for my own amusement.

Shitposting them on /v/ was an unexpected benefit.
>>
>>318432836
You dont need screenshot functions for a pc game
>>
>>318432696
I love this meme. Let's put the blame on 13. not 14, which fucked up the company so bad they had to revisit 13 twice more for easy cash. Let's blame the game that pretty much held up the entire franchise while 14 had to be reworked from the ground up. Let's blame the game that actually saved the series. Fuck you, anon. I hope you get raped by two arab muggers tonight in an alley as you walk home.
>>
>>318432836
I'm prepared to be mad when the PC port is still a giant piece of shit and doesn't run at 60 fps
>>
>>318432928
As did Lightning in LR. The only difference between LR Lightning was she didn't go gaga over Serah like she previously would have.
>>
Were any of the cameo sets worth using?
>>
>>318433091
Square forced their waifu down the fanbases throats, she was not so popular that people were actually demanding more games
>>
>>318433426

Cloud's Cross Slash is probably the best damaging move in the game aside from...I think it's Myriad Arrows, but the latter needs a very specific setup to maximize damage.

Yuna makes for a really good defensive setup. I can't remember the others much.

>>318433501

I'm told Light is fairly popular in Japan, though even they barely bought LR.
>>
>>318433426
Cloud and Yuna's for great early damage. If you can just attack the Braver, it'll outperform most attacks until you get Artemis Arrow, and Yuna's FFX garb until you get the Miquot'e garb.
>>
>>318433026
>>318432836
wait, you can take screens on PS3 for this game?
>>
>>318433501
She won the poll for most popular female character when the game was out and she received more votes than all male characters except the top two. Yes, she was fucking popular at the time. And you're still not taking in the fact that 13 had just finished so the team and the resources were still there to quickly make a trilogy after the failure of 14. The game saved the company.
>>
>>318433698
The first XIII found its way into the bargain bin pretty quickly though it sold well

Don't confuse the advertising blitz with actual popularity
>>
>>318433698
>I'm told Light is fairly popular in Japan, though even they barely bought LR.

She is. I'm a gook who loves in Japan and they sometimes have celebrations for her. Literal parties. Crazy nips. I also really like Lightning
>>
>>318433906

Yes, and upload them to FB.

Which is wierd, because IIRC facebook actually isn't very popular in Japan, they use their own social networking site.
>>
>>318427046
GOTY 2014
I don't have a wiiu though
>>
>>318433042
It's nice to freeze time and move the camera around, which is what the screenshot mode does.

If a mod removes the UI during the screenshot mode, that would work really well too. Then you can just take the screenshots through Steam.
>>
>>318427198
This sums up my feelings on LR. I actually enjoyed 13-2 as well but I'm kind of easy to please.
>>
>>318434069
Ha! I just remembered farming ethers from other players so I could abuse her time ability in battles.
>>
File: lewd armpit.jpg (25 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
lewd armpit.jpg
25 KB, 640x360
>>318433906
And post them to Twitter/Facebook so you can actually download them.

In cutscenes, you can take the stills by pausing.

In game, you stop time and can move the camera around.

Pic related is a cutscene still.
>>
>>318427621
I can imagine the general disappointment when some SE exec told Toriyama and the dev team to cut these garbs because of a lack of time
>b-b-b-but we already have the designs, we just need to model them, a month should be enough
>No
>>
File: BgzEAgICMAAvZiD.jpg large.jpg (39 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
BgzEAgICMAAvZiD.jpg large.jpg
39 KB, 640x360
>>318433906
>>318434743

And pic related is in-game.

All the pictures look awful. They render at 360p and are probably compressed them as much as possible because the pictures were automatically kept on Square-Enix's servers for other players to come across randomly (just a guess).
>>
>>318431734
That's true but I just liked the pretty CGI
Damn SE Visual Works are true gods
They should be a super boss in FFXV
>summon a high quality poly-model that cripples the frame rate and lowers attack for the player beacue they feel insecure of their own patehticly small poly-count
>power of churazee allows for attacks that break the physics
>>
>>318434069
is that the only resolution available?
>>
>>318432836
Prepare for the worst. The 13 pc ports have been abysmal, I believe someone made a fanmade fix for the first one and the developers just incorporated that same fix into a patch later on. From what I understand, 13-2 is still pretty broken, with a full retard framerate and jagged rain.
>>
I still haven't played it. I was going to buy the PS3 version, but once the PC version was announced I held off. Unfortunately the ports taken like a fucking year.

LR looks legitimately fun so I'm pretty excited for it. I'm glad we only control Lightning and not the rest of the shitty looking party from the previous two games. The customization looks really cool and I'm glad it has a quasi-real time combat system. I'll take that over full blown turn based any day.
>>
>>318427046
It was fun. The graphics are stunningly bad though, especially for a Final Fantasy title. XIII, which came out years earlier, looks tremendously better.
>>
>>318435664
Doesn't even sound like Final Fantasy anymore
>>
The best part about this game is when the victory theme changes depending on what garb you are in.
>>
>>318435921
That's exactly why I'm interested in it.
>>
>>318427046
I have the collectors edition sitting in a box but I'm too much of a pussy to play it because I don't want the journey to end I watched gameplay and I have seen all the cut scenes.
>>
>>318437353
CE is really cheap on the SE store website, but it seems like they ran out of PS3 copies to even list it there
>>
>>318435826
FFXIII was a mainline FF game, LR was a spin-off, and thus can be reasonably assumed to have had a lower budget.
>>
This thread makes me want to load up LR again.

Too bad my mum has my PS3.
She wanted to play Kingdom hearts 2.5
>>
>>318427046
It was my personal GOTY of '14.
Then again, I kinda liked 13, and greatly enjoyed 13-2.
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.