[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How's gaymen on projectors?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /v/ - Video Games

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4
File: projector_resize.jpg (187 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
projector_resize.jpg
187 KB, 1500x1125
How's gaymen on projectors?
>>
>>318418380
A relative of mine had this sweet cinema setup a few years ago, played SC2 on it. It was pretty fucking good, but lighting is a lot to consider.

It was quite a while ago, so they've improved a lot, but I found no issues with it. Huge ass screen, good games, fucking yeah if you can afford it
>>
The bulbs have a limited lifespan and they're expensive, that's something to consider.
>>
>>318418562
how bad is input delay?
>>
>>318418380
Kinda stupid considering you can buy a 50" TV nowadays for $400.
>>
Unless you have a fantastic projector and great theater setup and don't mind playing in the dark with input lag, don't bother. The novelty of playing on a huge screen isn't worth it.
>>
>>318418870
Never noticed any. Played SC2 on it, and I play a lot of fight games. It might be different if it were online maybe, but offline I never noticed anything.
>>
>>318418380
bulky, finnicky, sub-optimal, and uneccessary
>>
Giant screens require great resolution to look good. 4k projectors are still hella expensive.
>>
>>318418380
Every projector ever made is shit. This is a objective fact unless you are literary a millionaire and can spend 10k+ on a projector. And even then they will still be about equally as good as your regular monitor.

What is nice about them, though, is that you can game on 70+ inch pretty cheaply. Which is great for split-screen co-op, or fighting games. They also don't take much space. Which is nice. However they have a tendency to make a bit of noise.
>>
any recommendations for a not totally shit one or at least one with decent bulb life?
>>
>>318418870
projectors will give you the lowest amount of latency aside from monitors, especially when compared to TV's.

TV's have to process the signal and do all sorts of shit to it, a projector is fairly fast comparatively.
>>
>>318418380
Good projectors are really expensive
Projector bulbs are REALLY expensive
Unless you're using them to blow a display up to absolutely massive size it's much cheaper to get a monitor and usually higher-fidelity too.
>>
Never got the hype about them. Projectors always seemed to wash out color for me. Bulbs are expensive as fuck to replace. Needs to be completely dark in the room you're using just to be used. They can overheat if you keep them on too long.
>>
>>318421380
Not really, sorry. But you usually get what you pay for.

But don't expect quality. For the same price as a normal/slightly good monitor, you'll get a horrible projector which probably won't even support Full HD.

Also, expect some really bad colour deviations/ shitty blacks. And they usually get worse the older the bulb gets, especially the colour.
>>
You can get a pretty good 1080p dlp projector with a ~3000 lumen bulb in it for around 700 bucks. Also, depending on your room size you might want to get a long or short throw projector or a projector with adjustable zoom.

DLP has very little if any video lag and projectors are similar to monitors in that they usually don't apply filters and shit to the signal to make it look prettier, so you might have dick with calibration a little bit.

Projectors are amazing for gaming, get a good 1080p+ projector and a good screen like a da-lite, and you're set up for some good times. 100 inch plus screens are crazy immersive, especially with 4k projectors, but those are gonna cost you. 1080p is still good up to 100 inches in my opinion.
>>
>>318421876
ok cool i appreciate the input amigo

i figured it would be something along those lines
>>
>>318422323
No problem.

Just bear in mind that if you can live with the price/quality ratio, having a projector can be fucking awesome.
>>
>>318421380
Optoma, viewsonic, and epson make some pretty good projectors. If you want 4k, sony makes some good 4k projectors but holy fuck are they expensive.
>>
>>318422275
Room is like 6m wide
If I use hdmi will I be able to play pirated bluray? Sounds sily but I know hdmi has some anti-piracy shit linked to it
>>
>>318422752
Projectors, like TVs, don't give a fuck if the hdmi source uses hdcp or not so you should be fine there.

If your room is that wide you might want to look into ceiling mounting the projector and getting a long throw, although short throw might work too, it all depends on the screen size you want and where you want to put the projector.
>>
>>318419024
>50" tv for $400
>200" projector for $500
>>
>>318422752
lol wut? That sounds like bull. I use HDMI to watch pirated bluray on on a daily basis. Maybe you are thinking about different media players. I think PS3/PS4 have got DRM for pirated video.
>>
>>318422752
???
>>
>>318421380
I've owned the Epson Home Cinema 5010 since JAN 2013 -- used it for both PC and console. It has been awesome -- no issues, bright, 1080 resolution, good blacks. Only just changed the lamp (was expensive, $299). I really recommend this one (was about $2,400, about $1,200 now --if you can find it). Keep in mind other associated costs (screen, receiver/speakers for audio).

If you can't find that, I'd get the Epson 5030. It is the newest model, but it is $3000. It has gotten good reviews from what I've seen. Also 1080.
>>
I just bought the gt1080 by optoma. Its a "gaming" projector aka 144hz and low latency.
Cost me $600 on black friday, 700 retail.
Considering my roommate recently paid $800 for his 55" Samsung, ill be happily playing shit in 3d on at least 166 inch screen.
Gunna buy a steam link for it and keep the pc in the dining room.
>>
What about 3D movies? Worth it?
>>
>>318419253
>>
>>318423837
If you are talking about the Epson projector's, it... worked. Came with the 3D glasses and what not -- and the image was bright so movies looked fine. Didn't use it too much though, just early on when I had bought it. Had trouble getting it to work properly with PC games that supported 3D though.
>>
>>318418380
>me moving in with a friend
>I say that I'll buy a tv for the living room
>"hurr durr i have a projector I'll just use that"
>there's a huge window in the living room right across from the only blank wall
>"hurr durr but its a really good projector it'll be fine"
>at least let me buy a projector screen so we can have it against the other side of the room
>"hurr durr I'll just use a bedsheet"
>get projector set up couple days later, the wall is too bright, his bed sheet has blue patterns, and I spent my TV money on a bar fridge which I used to chill his idiotic tears
>>
>>318424887
>moving in with a friend
Not even once.
>>
>>318423603
Screen is really optional...
receiver? What's wrong with having the speakers connected to the PC?
>>
>>318425639
I suppose you are right on both being optional.

Hell, for the first year and a half, I just projected onto a white wall. I will say that, since getting a screen, it is very bright and looks great. True though, screen is not absolutely necessary -- I suppose you could use ScreenGoo paint if you wanted to use a part of your wall.

As for the speakers, this is also preference. I just think if you are gonna get a projector and have great image quality, why not have an audio system to match? Though, if you are working on a budget, PC speakers (or even nice headphones) would do well. I also just like having the receiver to rapidly switch inputs. I ended up getting a 7.1, which in retrospect I recommend against -- 5.1 would be just fine (or maybe even a nice soundbar).
>>
>>318418380
My roommate has a projector which we got a nice screen and built a stand for. My other roommate has been playing FO4 on it and I've played some games with it. Works like a champ. It looks great and been having no latency issues at all.
>>
>>318423109
Yeah, except that 200" projector is whofully impractical and comes with a bunch of throwbacks you don't get with a TV. There is literally no fucking point getting a projector when you can just get a big TV.
>>
>>318427357
B-but muh portability!
>>
File: 113696[1].gif (23 KB, 250x346) Image search: [Google]
113696[1].gif
23 KB, 250x346
>>318418380
Pretty good, used to have one in my old house, don't have the room for it now though unfortunately.

I used to do AV installations and stuff for a living a while ago and we'd always plug a laptop into a projector and play some MAME or whatever when we got done with a job, just to test it out of course.

>tfw 200" NBA Jam
>>
>>318418380
Fun. All I can say. Friends love coming over to my house the best so there's that.

If there's any lag or whatever I have not noticed it.
>>
It's for faggots who live in their parents basement and are insecure as fuck and overweight and shitty people in general as well as having major issues with women and thoughts of suicide they repress daily, unlike me.
>>
Maybe I'll get this one
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/tvs-entertainment/projectors/1402018/epson-eh-tw6600-review/page/0/1
>>
>>318427357
>There is literally no fucking point getting a projector when you can just get a big TV

What if you want to have a proper home theatre setup with a screen size that you just can't get with a TV?
>>
>>318427357
>Yeah, except that 200" projector is whofully impractical

For YOU. Not everyone is stuck in the same living situation as you are so no a projector is not "whofully impractical". There are many reasons why someone would want a projector instead of a big TV. The only objective throwback is the cost of replacing the bulb. Dollar for dollar you can get better image quality with a projector than the TV equivalent. Monitors are a whole nother story though.
>>
So just the lamp needs to be changed after it fades out?
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.